upcoming final fantasies

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

sith_darth_jay
hey check it out

this are the new FF coming out next year

http://www.ff12.com/

and

http://www.square-enix.co.jp/games/ps2/ffx2inter/

they are in japanese, but worth watching

SaTsuJiN
honestly I think 12 is going to be it.... I mean can you imagine : Final Fantasy 37...

I sure as hell cant, that'd be disgraceful. Square needs a new franchise to put them on the map. I would suggest a fighting game genre or something Fighting/Rpg like bouncer but years better. 12 is thier last dying hope for ff to be revived, and it wont work. X-2 is ok, but im sure people only got it to look at yuna become a pop-****. I'm more concerned with what happened to tidus.

Overall FF series has gone down the toilet. make something new, square!

JKozzy
I can imagine it into the twenties. I say ditch the numbers and give 'em names.

stinkfist462
please... ditch numbers and give names.... they need to make a choice... onlin or off........

sith_darth_jay
both online and offline games are great, it depends on the mood of the player, online gaming is just taking off.

as for the new games... yeah they should start changing the names, but each game is unique, they're rpg, but their battle and upgrade sistem are different.

square has tried with fighting games and other genders but they haven't had the success they have with FF, that's why they keep makin them

look at KH, that game is awesome, but it borrows something from FF, but the game is on its way to become the next square saga.

i honestly can't wait for FF12 and KH2, but in the midtime, i just bought FF X-2 today, and i'm gonna enjoy it

BackFire
I think Final Fantasies will stay around for a long time...they are just so damn popular, I can't picture them stopping the series while it's so popular and while it still makes them the majority of their money.

stinkfist462
i say it ends on 24.... just my opinion... then prolly some new technology comes out then they revive it and then it ends on like 90... lol.. im jus guessing..... i have no clue whatsoever....

scott
the final fantasy line will never end. as long as there is a corrupt psycho bent on destroying the world, a dude whith an awesome sword and a guy named cid

vive la final fantasy

octapushunter
what they need to do is burn all remaining copies of those illconcieved mindless pieces of junk. turn based fighting=super gay. i tried playing them a couple times and after about 3 minutes of the same boring crap i wanted to gouge my own eyes out. make a real game, something with challenge to it. if its about the story then make a movie.
sorry to rant but i think we are all a little dumber for having been exposed to it.
other than that they are awesome. long live ff

JKozzy
blink k....

ragesRemorse
Final fantasy isnt going to end just because it holds a high number to it's newest installment. FF has been around since NES. It has been very very popular, breaking numbers, through NES, super NES, PS1, PS2. Of course its gonna stick around. It has to many fans, and to many possibilities. If the stories were inter connecting instead of being a totally different story then yeah 12 may be a little much. There always different stories, anything is popular. i am a fan, however if FF chooses to be a sole online gaming expierence i would never play the games again. I have enjoyed solo play and expierence for 8 years now, i like how there is a set story and path, and i have to make my way there, besides i dont want to pay extra money to play a game i just paid 50$ buying

SaTsuJiN
well.. if there were "too many possibilities" they really should start taking heed to those possibilities and making something groundbreaking. Instead they try to drop peoples jaw with saying ff12 is in the world of final fantasy tactics, making a sequel to ffx, and an online game. All very nice gestures, but obviously more for the love of making money than the love of making games, which, when push comes to shove is what makes a video game good.

ragesRemorse
it's not there job to make groundbreaking games. It's there job to make Good games. the Final fantasy franchise has done groundbreaking many times. When games TRY to be groundbreaking they turn out to be shit. Groundbreaking games come from people who just try and make good games.

FF has some of the most intriguing and deep characters. On top of a diverse battle platform along with everything else included in these games like customization, and side quests.This gives FF an original feel from all other console RPG's, and a fan loyalty that is earned only with entertaining games. These games change a little bit each time. Improving from the last. This should prove they are trying to make a good well rounded game that fans will like. Instead of dumping everything fans love about final fantasy, and starting on a different path in gamming, they change a bit each time gradually taking fans into new territory. If you dont think square takes risks, look at their last three games, FFX was done in a new battling system which was very much improved, X-2 was their first sequal to a story, with different battle system, and XI was online. So yes Square soft are trying new things for the future, but doing it in a way to include the fans

sith_darth_jay
FF will be around for a long time, the only thing they have in common is the name (well, there's the summons, chocobos, moogles and other stuff... and Cid) everything else is different.

sure you have your favorite (FF7, FF5 and so on) but that's just your favorite story, four favorite fantasy, each new FF comes with improvement, whether it's the battle system, customize system, graphics, and playing (on or offline)

Trinity_Matrix
1. Love the sig, Sith Darth Jay. Lenne kicks arse.

2. I love Final Fantasy. I've been playing it since I was little. The storylines are great, the character development is unlike anything ever done in a video game. I like how Square's been going into new ground while doing Final Fantasy - ie how in FFX they tossed away much of the 'traditional' parts of FF (like the ATB, leveling up, etc.), doing an online FF, and a sequel to an FF. Personally, I think that if any Final Fantasy deserved a sequel, it's FFX. The ending was very open, and people wanted closure.

And for the people who criticize FFX-2, here's the real story about it. Square decided to do it because when they had released FFX International in Japan, they had included an extra video called "Final Fantasy X: Eternal Calm" that had taken place 2 years after the ending of FFX, and was about how Yuna and Wakka and Rikku and everyone was living out their lives after the end of Sin. Kimahri found a sphere and gave it to Rikku, that had a video of a guy who looked like Tidus (but is actually Shuin) trapped in a prison. Rikku wants to look for him, and Yuna chooses to go with. Rikku decided that Yuna needed to go undercover, and picked out Yuna's new outfit ^_^ (but of course you don't see this new outfit in the video). Once FFX International with this video was released, so many fans were asking for a sequel that they agreed to do it.

SaTsuJiN
hehe remorse, I think with all the talent they have, all that expensive software and motioncapture stages, the hundreds of servers and computers, they can do groundbreaking many times over, and not even have to try on top of that. Theres way over 100 people on every ff credit list (at least to the credits I've seen). Im not criticizing ffx-2, for gods sake I own it, but I know squaresoft is better than this, I really do.

boxofdeath
i got some inside info, and ff 14 is gonna be huge!!! its going to be the most ground breaking game in the history of gaming as we know it!!! it will revoltionize crappy rpgs as we know them today. monotonous turn based fighting and cliche stories will never be the same!!! chcobos, thankfully, were unharmed in the process. i, for one, am so excited i could punch my mama!!!

octapushunter
what's a "chcobos"?

Trinity_Matrix
I'm pretty sure he meant 'Chocobos'.

sith_darth_jay
trynity matrix> wink thanks

... but. i haven't finished FF X-2 and you just spoiled for me, i didn't finish reading your post because of that, plz use spoiler tags from now on. (i'm not mad at you, but you made me a lil' cranky)

i saw some pics from eternal calm, but i thought that was included in ff x-2, man, and i have the oportunity to buy the international version instead of the US version, man i was so dumb

Trinity_Matrix
What I posted wasn't really a spoiler, it's pretty common knowledge, and you can't see that video unless you got the Official Playstation Magazine that had a demo of FFX-2 in it. It really has nothing to do with FFX-2 except how Yuna and Rikku set out on their 'quest', it was meant to be more of an epilogue to FFX. Seeing Eternal Calm won't spoil FFX-2 in any way, but'll actually help understand it better ^^; And the only way you'd be able to play the International Version is if you 1) had a modded PS2 or 2) had a Japanese PS2.

JKozzy
My subscription ran out last issue before that... DAMMIT! Why couldn't it be renewed to get the frikin demo mad mad

Trinity_Matrix
Heh, I had to go to like...three different stores before I found it ^^;;;

BackFire
The final Fantasy games have been slipping lately. FF9 was great, arguably the best one since 6, but 8 was so mundane and mediocre that it didn't even feel like a final fantasy game, tried way to hard to change things that worked so well in teh other games, it ended up just complicatin itself.

FF10 was pretty good, but the removal of an explorable world map was simply absurd, since that was my favorite part of those games. Leveling up on the map was always nice, plus it was a nice break from all the dungeons.

FF11 is fun, but it's more like everquest then a Final Fantasy game, the only thing it has in common with other FF games is chocobo's, mogs and gil, along with the music.

I think the FF series needs to get back to their roots and stop trying to change so many aspects of the genre, that's what made FF9 so damn good, it was like the old ones, without any wierd gimmicky level system, no wierd magic system, and characters that were all very easy to differentiate and care for.

sith_darth_jay
trinity>the eternal calm video, is not in any way a spoiler, i haven't seen it but i saw some pictures, i didn't know that it came in a demo with the PSM, good to know.

About the spoiler, i didn't finish reading your post (i still haven't), i just got to the part where you wrote the name of the tidus' looking guy, i didn't wanna know that, until I see it in the game.

about FFX int, i can play any game in my console (NTSC-UC,- J, PAL in black and white tough) and didn't want to buy the japanese version, cuz of the... well, it felt weird, now i regret it...i play FFX-2 two weeks after the japanese realese, but i didn't buy it at the time, cuz of the language.

i didn't wanna wait until the FFX-2 int came out cuz i wanted to play it right away.

Backfire> i agree with you, FF9 was more like the old ones (square made it that way intensionally, there was a mixed feeling from the fans towards FF8, that's why they decided to go back to basic), but i enjoyed FF8 a lot.

the only thing i didn't like about FFX was the world map, without it, the game felt more like a lineal story, with not much room for you to feel free in it, but it was in anyway great. i hope the map is back in FF12

i haven't played FFXI

ZackStrifeFF7AC
ahhh FF XII looks really lame, the main character typical dude with blonde hair and typical chick with brown hair, jeez ppl 12 gonna flop, well i said that about 10 so i dunno

BackFire
The problem with final fantasy 8 was that it was too complicated for it's own good in teh story department. They through too many twists at us and all that did was simply distance me from the main characters, since too much time was spent on said twists then character development. (Who the end boss is isn't revealed untill about 1 hour before you fight her, good work morons)

SaTsuJiN
lol... I dont think ff 12 will flop. It looks very nicely designed. LOL @ your "the main character typical dude with blonde hair and typical chick with brown hair" comment though zack, I mean, arent you also throwing dirt on final fantasy 7 by saying that?

12 seems like it will have a living world, different races, bustling cities. I guess it promises to be like a single player mmorpg'ish type world or something. The designs look fresh and sortof backto the roots, in terms of the paintings that i've seen.

final fantasy 8 blew, nuff said. dunno why people sweat it though, the only thing that made it look good was the freshly developed emotion engine used for the facial expressions. other than that 8 was hot garbage on a hot august day wink

sith_darth_jay
well, i liked FF8, it was the first ff i played in my life (and the first rpg, for that matter) it just hated FF, cuz i never played it, i thought all RPG's were dumb and boring, until a friend of mine gave me the game and i played it, and eventually, came lo love RPG's

i hope that FF12 is better than the last two games, it promises a lot and i really hope it has a wolrd map again

Trinity_Matrix
FF8 was the first one I had really played (I'd played FF before then, but that was playing FF1 when I was 4 years old and had no clue what I was doing...) and it's one of my favorites, right up there with FFX. I liked the story because it had so many twists (heh, so did FFX, actually...).
FFIX I couldn't stand. Maybe it was because I started it after playing FFVIII and FFX, so the cartoony-ness of the character really bothered me, plus the battles just took FAR too long to get through. Maybe someday I'll get back to that game, but I don't foresee that happening anytime soon.

And the main girl from FFXII, Ashe, reminds me too much of FFX-2 Yuna.

sith_darth_jay
yes, she does look a lot like yuna... but what zack said is true... lately every FF has a blonde dude, who's the main character, the lead girl has brown hair, and there's always a sephiroth clone

Trinity_Matrix
lol yeah it's kinda true too.

...why can't there be a female Final Fantasy lead character with RED hair? It would make my love of cosplaying Final Fantasy characters a lot easier...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.