Review : Lord of the Rings: Return of the King

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Lord Soth
Rather pre-emptive, I know, but anyone who's read the book should be able to talk about this.

The Battle of Pelennor Fields is said to be the greatest undertaking in movie battle history. The trilogy is hailed as the greatest fantasy movie ever. The characters are enticing, the symbolism profound, the story heart-wrenching, and this is, without a doubt, a movie that will stand the test of time. In 60 years, people will still be talking about this movie, not just because of the special effects, but because it speaks to your heart, it tells you, no matter how impossible it may seem, there is ALWAYS hope.

Note: I purposely kept this post vague, but anyone who has not read the book, and wants to be pleasantly surprised when they see the movie, don't read future posts, b/c there WILL be spoilers.

badkittykitty
Lord Soth I've been pacing my floors with the anticipation of this movie.I seen a great clip ofthe witch king wiping out a bunch of guys,at lest i believe thats what it was and I believe eowyn kicking its ass is going to be my favorite part of the movie

Fire
Rohirrim charging sauron's army's now there's a sight

EOMER YEAAAAAAAAAAAa

Lord Soth
Battle of Pelennor Fields is going to blow people's minds, I have no doubt of that. And the score.......my god I bought the soundtrack and listened to the Pelennor Fields song.....I could almost hear the thundering hoofbeats

cgtuna21
The Black Gate battle will be my god one of the bests and especially pelonner fields. Holy s*** i will b like pissing my pants while watching it because i am so obsessed. Also when Aragorn becomes king I had like hairs standing up. I mean the previews were even extremely awesome and most of all when the ring is over which shouldnt be a spoiler if i said that. I cant wait in 2 days, I'll b screaming.

Julie
wanna see it...wanna see it

Lord Soth
I'm seeing it opening night big grin I'm so happy

Julie
lucky....but I think I'll see it when I'll be conscious

Lord Soth
I don't know what you mean there, but I'm too giddy with excitement to care big grin

mah
So...it is over..it is seen.

Wow.

In-fudging-credible.

Lots of things could have gone majorly wrong in making these films, but they turned out to be fantastic journeys..fabulous films.
Return of the King is BY FAR the best of the three. What a night..I couldn't care less for the loss of sleep.

This one has the perfect mix of what made the first two great, emotional moments, characters developing, characters confronting other characters and creating tense situations, memorable execution of lines..and major battles. wow.

You've never seen major battles on movie before this one. Helm's Deep is a playground rump compared to the sheer SIZE of this. You'll be awestruck.

The moments with Faramir and his father..oh his father..a character so well made into a movie character from the book. Perfect. Faramir now does a much stronger showing than in TTT. Theoden is mighty..And the real king does what he's supposed to do, no dissapointments here.

And the end, oh yes the endbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grin HELL YES!

The best of the three, in one of the best trilogies ever.
FOTR: 9/10 TTT: 9/10 Return of the King: 10/10
The whole trilogy: 10/10
Academy awards received in some months: 10.

Fire
can't wait, thx mah, your review gave me chills all over

duffy
Just back from seeing it!
OMG! what a film, even better than the first two!
And the CGI is just mind blowing!
I cant wait to see it again
10/10

ElvenQueen
I saw it...I loved it. Im not sure if its my favorite of the three yet. But I really did enjoy it. i was smiling ear to ear like a dork, I was screaming, i was crying. It was funny all the emotions you can feel in one movie.

But it was awesome..And Im going to see it again tonight. =)

BackFire
I pretty much agree with everything Mah said, I think it was the strongest of all 3 films, and the best finale to a trilogy ever as far as I'm concerned.

One of the only films that can be described as truley amazing.

Lord Soth
I'm seeing it tonight, I'll give my review when I get back big grin

enya
f**king brilliant

amazin

great

fantastic

tear jerkin

i could go on for so long but at this very moment my mum is moanin at me coz ive got to revise for exams, anyway i think you've got my drift

shadowfxlegolas
I won't be able to see it till Thursday but did you know: They took out the House of the Healing scenes, meaning that the Faramir Eowyn falling in love thing won't happen.

Lord Soth
Note to Shadow b4 I start my review: It's on the DVD.

Lord Soth's Review of Lord of the Rings: Return of the King

What was good: The way the actors portrayed their characters was flawless, the battle scenes were brilliantly done (Pelennor Fields WHOOPED Helm's Deep). The CGI was perfect and seamless (except for one occasion. See 'What was bad'), and the story was just as emotional as I remembered when I first read the book. This was truly the best of the 3.

What was bad: Only one thing comes to mind-At the end, when everyone bows to the hobbits, it was obvious the hobbits were superimposed, and that disappointed me. But other than that.......nothing

Overall Rating of Movies: Fellowship-9/10, Two Towers-19/10, Return-11/10

Trilogy-11/10

Corlindel
Gorgeous!!!

I need to see it again asap. Gollum and Sam characterS are perfect at ROTK movie, and the battle fo Pellenor fields chrash me.

It is the best of the trilogy. The movie gave me most of the feelings I felt when I read the book for the firt time smile

I only disliked the Black Gate Battle coz I was expecting to see a bigger Gondor/Rohan army there with the most of the Pelennor Fields battle survivals. It seemed that there were not more than 2000 soldiers there...but it was great anyway smile and now it is over sad

Tricksy Hobbit
Words cannot begin to describe how good this film is! I was crying most of the way though - big girl that I am. I didn't want to leave my seat at the end, could have watched it again straight away.

Fire
well I can sit here and talk for hours and hours and hours, but that wouldn't do much good

so to make it fairly simple, PJ did a great job he didn't leave out anything that should be included. He didn't give us a Nude Frodo big grin
Shelob fight was done very well (awesmely cool) Minas Morgul was SO F*CKING SCARY.
The Siege on Gondor AWESOME, The Rohirrim CHARGE OMG -I WANT THE DVD-
Denethor going Mad was weird as hell
the army of the dead, damn great CGI

now things that were A BIT sad:
IMO they should have spend more time in saying goodbye to Legolas, Faramir, Gimli and Eomer.
They should have included the house of healing, except that it all rocked big grin

Quite certain those two bits will be on the extended edition

Lord Soth
Sorry, that was supposed to be 9

Lord Soth
I know, it's so sad that it's finally over. But as I always say: 'If the ending blows your mind, and it sticks with you, then who cares that it's ended?'

Lord Soth
Okay, I'm adding something else to the 'What was Bad' list: They left out the goodbye, and the Houses of Healing; thats where Faramir and Eowyn fall in love, and then it doesn't make sense when they're holding onto each other at the end

Schizo_n_me
I didn't see it yet...

ElvenQueen
You better go! Its amazing!

Tired Hiker
Two things I would have liked to have seen that were in the book and not in the Movie: Don't worry, this won't spoil the movie, it may spoil the extended version if they add these scenes to it though . . . continue at your on graduer. Like Lord Soth and shadowfxlegolas, I would have liked to have seen the scenes where Faramir and Eowyn fall in love. I also would have liked to have seen the Battle at the Shire which happens at the very end of the book, where Wormtounge Kills Sauruman right after Sauruman tries to stab Frodo, but Frodo's Mithral vest saves him once again. Then the Hobbits shoot four arrows into Wormtongue's back, killing him dead. Also, the scene where the fellowship bumps into Saruman and Wormtongue in the forest on there way to the Shire, where Saruman is kicking Wormtongue and being a sore loser.

Aside of that, I can't complain. My prior wishes weren't enough to even remotely ruin the movie, I must say. The movie was amazing and executed perfectly as far as I'm concerned. It truly captured the flavor of the book and the themes. The battle with the Oliphaunts, which wasn't in the book, was incredible. That scene alone was better than all three Jurassic Parks put together. I found myself lost in this movie. I can't wait to see it agian. I'm still numb by it's affects.

Lord Soth
Perfectionist comment-the technical term is Mumakil, not Oilphaunts

Angry comment-

This sequence, called the Scouring of the Shire, was never shot. Peter Jackson claimed he never liked that part of the book, and come to think of it, neither do I. But it's still part of the book, it shouldn't be dismissed like that

Tired Hiker
I thought that part kicked ass in the book. It made the story feel more full circle.

Fire
well wether PJ liked it or not is very much not the point'.

the scene is

A) not very cinematic, turning violent and stuff all over again after the great wars have ended.
B) a bit confusing for people who have not read the books
C) unnecessairy really
D) very hard to shoot without making it dark and depressing, and I think if they would try the scene would get far to comical

Lord Soth
Pretty much what I thought. It's just a sequence that wouldn't work at all in a movie.

The freakin' Ring is destroed, why not just let the hobbits be happy? yes yes

Tired Hiker
Yeah, well, I would have liked to have seen it.

Tired Hiker
But seriously, it would have ruined the flow of he film if they kept the Shire Battle.

Lord Soth
Plus, the movie'd be about 4 hours long (not that that's such a bad thing big grin)

Tired Hiker
I heard Saruman will be in the Extended Version of ROTK.

madsci
just saw it last night and it was absolutely EPIC. as i was walking out of the theater, the only words i could say were "absolutely amazing." unfortunately, i have never read the books, but i have recently obtained a copy. i'm looking forward to getting through them. also, i read a CNN interview of peter jackson, in it he said he would like to film an adaptation of "the hobbit." if he did, that would rock.

ROTK - best trilogy ending of all time

madsci
hip hop purist

Fire
huh?

BingaBonga
the only reason why i was disappointed was that it was finally over, and I don't think that we're going to see The Hobbit on the big screen any time soon... sad but i can't wait to see it again!

ragesRemorse
hey i saw this last night. It was good. To me it made up for two towers. has anyone seen the special edition two towers yet? is there much difference in the added scenes?

Fire
Rage it becomes fairly better with the added scenes, but personaly I don't always like the new scenes that much I like the adaptation of the already existing scenes, like the Uruk's meeting the normal Isengard orcs and things like that

BingaBonga
Wait what? You didn't like Towers? huh

Fire
well it has it's lesser moments, I like FOTR and ROTK a lot more than TTT

shadowxdrago
WHAT !two towers is my fave!

Fire
nah, ROTK is by far the best

LanceWindu
I can't go see RotK until after the first of January...that's when my uncle can find time to take me into Vegas and we can go together.

shadowxdrago
ya but ttt was awsome . dude do you collect LOTRTCG (lord of the rings trading card game)?

SilverFighter
Well, I just got back from the theather and I saw ROTK. I'm not going to write an essay post on my thoughts about the film. Because If I were to do that I might expend the rest of my evening writting tons and tons of paragraphs on how much I LOOOOOOVE THIS FILM!!!!!!!! WOO-HOO!!! YEEEEHAAA!!!

ROTK!!ROTK!!ROTK!!ROTK!!ROTK!!

Oh my goodness I haven't been this giddy with joy since I saw Kill Bill. Great film. thumb up thumb up thumb up

Lord Soth
2003 is definitely the Year of the Ring

Fire
Nope only abnormal card game I play is Magic

Ushgarak
Actually, I think TTT was best as well. I think ROTK was always going to have a hard time being based on the imperfect narrative of the novel and so it was.

Kes
Ok: The battle scenes are amazing, the built sets really give realism to the scenes, so do the thousands of extras. And the CGI is very well done.
I really connected with the characters for the 1st time (except Frodo). The actors are at their best in this one. Specially Viggo. He really surprised me with tis one.Of course Ian Mckellen is absolutely amazing and the guy that plays Pippin is also very good.
I think the only problem this movie has is that after the ring is destroyed it feels like it takes a long time for the movie to end.
Shame Cate Blachett's part is small cos she's an amazing actress!
The fellowship of the ring is my fave thou. The battle in Helms deep and Gollum is what saves TT. I havent scene all of the extras scenes from TT but they seem to really help. Specially the scenes with Boromir.

Ushgarak
Yes, the Boromir/Faramir perspective from those scenes are certainly the most significant cuts PJ made- maybe even more significant than removing Saruman, because that oinly seems big as morwe Saruman was in the books, whereas removing the Boromir/Faramir scenes actually removed an important chunk of development for their characters as presented.

I think Fellowship was eqaully handicapped by the necessity of the slow start; the second half was very good.

Kes
Yes. Understanding a bit more the relationship between Boromir/Faramir and their father helps a lot.
I've never read the books so I cant judge the adaptation. And FOTR doesnt seem slow to me because I didnt new that world and had to be introduced. It was diificult for me to sit for 3hrs and some in TT. Something that didnt happen in FOTR and ROTK

Fire
Same Here Kes, tho I read the books

Corlindel
Yeap..

TTT is very good but FOTR and ROTK are amazing...TTT didn't gave the feeling of be part of the story as the FOTR and ROTK.

Gollum and Sam are perfect. Viggo has a much complete work as Aragorn: I had my doubts about his acting but he is really a excelent Aragorn. And It is good to see Galadriel smiling smile

stick out tongue

Lord Soth
My thoughts:

FotR is mostly storybuilding, with some action
TTT is mostly action with little storybuilding
RotK is a perfect blending of the two, and therefore is the best big grin big grin big grin big grin

BOPRecruit 16
My Ratings:

Story: 9
Special Effects: 10
Visual Effects: 9
Music: 8
Acting: 9
Action: 10
Sentiment: 10
Cast: 10
Stars: **** (4)
Need To See "The Hobbit": 6

badkittykitty
i loved this movie more than any movie ever (well except the holy grail) but I think the begining with gollem could have been cut out and the extra long ending...they would have been great for the dvd.

My favorite is the whole pippen singing, Denethor eating and Faramir leading the charge scene. I cried my eyes out.

Kes
That scene is superbly done.

potterthefirst
I just saw LOTR: Return of the king, and whoever said it's rubbish is rubbish!

It lived up to my expectations highly. If you want spoilers then highlight this if not then you better leave before you look without knowing what your doing.

The ring is not thrown into mount doom, it is carried down by gollum who falls down into the volcano after Frodo betrays the fellowship by the evil of the ring and puts it on his finger.
But Gollum gets it and then him and frodo have a little fight (a tiny fight acctually) and gollum falls in.
Then Sam gets married, Aragorn becomes king and then Frodo, Gandalf and Bilbo leave.

Happy Dance laughing laughing out loud Happy Dance

Storm
um... everybody who read the book knew that

potterthefirst
I know but have you thought about the people who haven't read the books?
Not trying to be rude! big grin

Placebo_fan
I'm going to see it tomorrow, and I CAN'T WAIT...

potterthefirst
Did you read the spoilers?

potterthefirst
Also "place bo fan" Have you read the books?

Fallen Jedi
I loved the Return of the King. It is by far the best out of the three films. I saw it last Friday. It was great!!! I was listening to some of the reviews before I saw the movie and I thought everyone was hyping it way too much. But when I saw it for myself, I was like "wow!" It really is a great movie.

this movie was not great at all...too much hype over an "OK"(just ok) movie...same with the books, too much hype.

Lord Soth
Denethor is the kind of guy you love to hate big grin I was laughing my head off when he ran off the cliff while on fire laughing laughing laughing

Lord Soth
Lord of the Rings is FAR more than ok (both movie and books). They have all that hype for a reason.

i really don't think so...predictable concept..it's a fantasy story nothing more-it just has a shitload of details added to it...but the concept and ending is just too predictable and boring...reminds me of some disney movie or something

Lord Soth
I'm not going to attack your opinion, but just know that most of the world disagrees with you stick out tongue

potterthefirst
I agree with Lord soth. The world justdisagrees with you and that "shitload of details" if you haven't realised is so your not asking questions and you know whats happening! wink

BackFire
The concept is predictable, that is true, but you have to remember when the story was written, there had been nothing like it, and at the time it was not at all predictable. Plus, even with a fairly predictable premise, it still is a remarkable story, with characters that are developed to a far greater point then another fasionable trilogy of recent memory.

finti
The movie was awesome cool scenes especially the fight scenes and great nature shots. Brilliant, then again I have loved the LOTR since I read the book some 20 years ago. They did a marvelous job on putting the book on the screen, thumbs up for Peter Jackson and his crew

potterthefirst
You said it Backfire, when the story was written no one would have suspected it. And even though I knew what was going to happen I was still shaking like mad when Frodo was fighting with gollum because I still had a gut feeling he was going to fall. They did a great job of it.

BOPRecruit 16
you too? i cried when Denethor said that he didn't think highly of Faramir and how his son was just going to throw his life away. so dramatic when his father was going to burn him alive! that creep! also, the scene where denethor knew that boromir was dead was sad, the flashbacks of pippin's.

billy boyd had a good voice, to be my surprise!

the humour was delightful. esp. when gandalf said: actually, it's better if you don't talk at all. laughing

that scene where pippin took the saruman's sphere thingy was fascinating too.

Reborn Again
It's this EXACTLY what happens?

Good review btw, I love this film!!!!!!!

potterthefirst
have you read the books coz not much is missed out from it thanx for your comment aswell. If anyone has any other things they wanna say then just say them.

Lord Soth
Very emotional, yeah

true the characters are developed pretty well, and yes ocmpared to the matrix(as i think ur implying by fashionable trilogy) then yes the characters are much much more developed but only because the matrix takes place over the course of 3 days and this story takes place over i dunno how long..months?

and i'm just not a fan of stuff i've seen a billion times over...yes, even if it was one of the first of it's kind

but w/e i liked the trilogy, i just don't think it lives up to the hype and i don't think it's amazingly great(especially the third one)

Lord Soth
The Lord of the Rings, form the very first word of Fellowship to the very last word of Return of the King, takes place over 18 years and 4 months. How it takes place:

Bilbo leaves the Shire
17 years and 5 months pass

Gandalf arrives back in Hobbiton in April of the 17th year, then the rest of the story takes place, spanning 11 months

Tired Hiker
Return Of The King was cool and all, but like I said before, HULK blows it out of the water. Bah humbug.

ruby
i saw it today!

and it was by far the best movie i have ever seen (in the last 8 hours)

note: sarcasm

2 out of 5

Lord Soth
Not even close. The Hulk can't even hold a candle to Lord of the Rings's genius

BOPRecruit 16
towards the end, where frodo kissed sam on the forehead, i swear, when they were locking eyes, i thought they were going to kiss! i was chanting in my mind: kiss kiss kiss! laughing sorry, had a lot of sugar when i was thinking that. an icee and many sticks of gum can do that to me during lotr movies. lol

Lord Soth
I was on a sugar high too, but I hadn't had anything w/ sugar in it. I'm naturally hyper big grin

Vovez
omg.. i cried for over an hour after seeing return of the king.. i just.. didnt want it to end.. call me pathetic huh?

ragesRemorse
i thought bohimir was alive in return of the king. wel the book i mean. Because i remember situations in the book where the father favored bohimir over fahimir, and i remember him being alive

BOPRecruit 16
i always get sugar high when i see lotr movies! also, most of the time i'm naturally high off of life! eek! laughing

Shoukan
I give this movie a 10/10

What an awesome movie!

BOPRecruit 16
did i already rate this movie? anyways, i give it the same as shoukan.

Tired Hiker
It was pretty good and all but not as good as As Good As It Gets.

BOPRecruit 16
how can or could you compare lotr to that?

Tired Hiker
Okay, I confess. Return of the King is one of my favorite all time movies. I'm seeing it with my dad tomorrow. It'll be my third time seeing it. I'm sure I'll see it in the theatres at least three or four more times with my movie passes I got for Christmas.

BOPRecruit 16
the part with shelob was kind of creepy, i don't like spiders.

amane
i can agree with the whole shelob part being a bit creepy.....i've never been aracknophobic, (or however its spelled...) but after shelob, i dislike spiders much more. the whole point of that movie seemed to be making the audience cry...and it worked.....it was the best movie i've seen in a very long time. i give it a 10.53/10

Fire
cried??? I was much more moved with the scene right out side moria when gandalf fell, than any scene from ROTK

Laviera_j
BOP, you keep me laughing girl! I thought Sam and Frodo were gonna kiss too! I screamed whn Frodo leant forward, and then it was just a peck on the head, hee hee!

Laviera_j
Oh, and SOth, no comparison from LOTR! LOTR KICKS ASS!!!!!

BOPRecruit 16
laughing phew!

chez
I'm not a very big LOTR fan but I enjoyed this movie. Lots of action, intense, good special effects, quite moving that it's now over. Oh, and Legolas ain't bad to look at. wink

amane
no, legolas aint bad at all.........(sighs, drools, spaces out for a minute or two.....)he's better in POTC, tho. his eyes at least stay the same color all throught the movie, but his acting is good on LOTR as well as POTC, completely off subject as this is a ROTK thread, but oh well.....on subject.

Fire: yes, it was sad when Gandalf fell. and i wouldnt expect a GUY to cry at a movie anyway.

anyway, i also expected sam and frodo to kiss (i think we've been waiting for them to kiss all along, they are very good friends.....even tho sam marries rosie...) and it was great.......lol

deeplydeppy
totally GREAT!!!!!By far The best of the trilogy.....LEGOLAS is a dream..........Doesn't he have the qtest quotes.....

BOPRecruit 16
yeah, he's the voice of wisdom in the group. and gandalf is the voice of reason and knowledge in the group. fellowship that is.

Fire
DO NOT generalise ppl
I know a fair number of guys myself included who do cry at movies

I actualy cried during that scene (cried as in a tear or two)
only film I really ever cried with was the ending of Dead Poets Society

hobbit_lover
I'm seeing it for the 3rd time today it was amazing I can't wait I'll give it
10\10

Darth Revan
Hell yes that's probably my favorite part in the whole movie. Theoden's speach was awesome. That and the part where Eomer and Pippin kill the Witchking. "I am no man" love that line

I have honestly never cried at a movie in my life but I did (or almost did) *counts* FIVE times during this movie.

Darth Revan
oh I give it 10/10 also and SAM ROCKS!!!

fini
28956298456/10
big grin

BOPRecruit 16
that was eowyn, not eomer. laughing

Lord Soth
Eowyn and MERRY, not Pippin laughing

I didn't cry when I saw it, I was way too excited to feel that sad or THAT happy. I haven't cried at a movie since Titanic, and I think I was 9 then

BOPRecruit 16
lord soth: awww...how touching! a guy cried during titantic... laughing *ducks*

Fire
Titanic????? WTF

BOPRecruit 16
soth was sayin' about cryin' in rotk.

_CYCLOPS_
Was anybody else as upset as I was when I saw the movie? I was sorely disappointed in the movie.

Army of the Dead kicked ass, true enough. But, so many unnecessary changes.

Lord Soth
Yeah, I was kinda suprised myself

Lord Soth
No one I know was disappointed. A few people (myself included) thought it was the best movie they'd ever seen

BOPRecruit 16
happy to know that you didn't smack me for that! big grin laughing

Lord Soth
I'm not a smacking kind of guy (unless it comes to siblings :evilsmile

amane
FIRE: sorry if i was generalizing. most guys i know wnt shed a single tear at any movie. ur an original, i guess.

bLooMiLiCioUs
i bawled like a babyroll eyes (sarcastic)
my friends were all shocked - i'm not a crying personbig grin

Lord Soth
Now were these happy tears, sad tears, or 'Oh-my-god-Orlando-is-so-hot' tears? stick out tongue

Fire
hehe *hopes not the last one* else bloom will drop a few points on my ranking

hotsauce6548
im sry... but i hated the movie... it was soo looooooooooonnnnnnnnnggggggggggggggggggg and booooooooooorrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnngggg
gggggggggg... i think it sucked... sleep no messed miffed confused sad

Tired Hiker
I can't wait to see Return Of The King like a week from now on a Monday, first show, no one will be there but me! I've seen it three times and I swear the noisiest people in the world would sit right behind me every time. I guarantee you though, if I am the only person in the theater next Monday, as soon as the movie starts, some guy will walk in and sit right behind me and rustle his popcorn bag around in my friggin ear. Always happens to me. sad Never fails.

BackFire
Yeah, there sure are alot of noisy, obnoxious people at ROTK

Tired Hiker
Especially at the new theatre by where I live. There's a lot of little homie gangsta wannabees that flock to movies like ROTK and they have no idea why they are even there and they diss the movie the whole time, like what is the deal with THOSE people. They just go to the movie for the hype and then their stupid cell phones go off right when Eowyn is fighting the Witch King. F*CK!!! mad

Lord Soth
Unfortunately, I was one of those ppl. I wasn't too bad, I just cheered a little too loudly, got a few 'shh!'s. Gods, I love the movies big grin

chez
Be calm and mature... and calmly, maturely, hunt them down and beat them up. angel

BOPRecruit 16
man...i had such a crush on orli as legolas during the first two movies, but i guess my taste kind of change. i didn't swoon over him when i saw rotk. but i still think he's hot! just not as hot as drew fuller and rob lowe. *giggles* love

_CYCLOPS_
I have read the books RELIGIOUSLY since I was about 12 or so (I am 20 now).

There were so many changes throughout the entirety of the triliogy. I understand some of them, but...

1) Denethors character was not like this in the novel. He was a 'proud-to-be-king' king. Why change his character?

2) When Pippen swore alligence to Denethor, Gandalf encouraged this action in the Novel. Why change that?

3) At the end when Frodo is trying to find a title for his book, he thought of several titles and scratched them out. Why change this?

Things like that angered me.

Fire
1) no idea but they changed a lot about the gondor stuarts

2) if they made denethor like that in the book, gandalf wouldn't have encouraged pippen either

3) doesn't matter that much now does it?

BingaBonga
I know that there are changes... but come on. There's only so much time for a movie. That's why there's an extended version! I know that the War of the Shire won't be in it... but it least we'll get to see Saruman smile

Fire
hehe

BOPRecruit 16
1) denethor is not a king, he's the steward of gondor. a sub for the real heir/king to be. i guess pj and the crew made him seem proud so that when he goes crazy later, it'll make sense. in the books, it did seem kind of random when he was about to burn faramir and himself.

2) i think the script writers and pj wanted to give more meaning to billy boyd's character, pippin in the last movie. since merry and pip were kind of feeling left out on the action wanted to help, they wanted to give you more of that feeling. the friendship the hobbits had with boromir and their contribution in the war.

3) that part probably didn't seem necessary to add and would only prolong the ending. the movie is already as long as it is, no need to waste time.

Lord Soth
1) I like Denethor better as a contemptable bastard anyway

2)Denethor being a contemptable bastard in the movie, it's not cool to swear allegience to said bastard

3)The ending was long enough as it was, one little tidbit like that isn't really important

BOPRecruit 16
2) yeah, that wasn't cool. but i think pippin felt like he owed it to him or something...

Kes
I think when Pippin sewered allegiance to him he didnt quite know how much of a psycho Denethor was.

Isnt the ending totally different in the book?
Someone said in the book when the hobbits return to the Shire that Sarauman is running it blink
That would have been way cooler then that big ass ending messed

A few scenes could have been cut from it, the ending I mean.

Lord Soth
Peter Jackson never shot that part of the book (The Scouring of the Shire), he never liked it. The ending was kind of tedious, yeah

Fire
if they had included the scouring of the shire, the problem would have been a lot of people in the audience (REMEMBER THIS IS A FAMILY MOVIE MADE FOR EVERYONE, not only ppl who have read the books) would have complained the ending might have been a tad to dark (alwasy found the scouring of the shire one of the darkest parts in the book) Also it would kinda ruin the happy-end thingy they have going. Tolkien prolly didn't care as much for his audience, PJ had to make sure the movie brought in the money. (and it prolly wasn't just his call)

about pip, I think Kes is right and because pippin doesn't know it but gandalf does he seems reluctant

Lord Soth
Indeed, it's usually the editor that cuts scene from movies, but excluding The Scouring was totally PJ's idea.

Fire
maybe, still a good sales tactic

Lord Soth
yeah, I agree

Fatis77
The Return of the King was the my second favorite, the first was The Fellowship of the Ring of course, my favorite part was to see the friendship loiaty of Sam to Frodo and when the Wizard says that the end was not yet coming and says that there's the Paradise etc...Well, I'm now just waiting for Hobbit movie now!

Fire
okie you read the book Fatis?

Phoenix
I think I need to read the books again - I haven't read them since just before Fellowship came out! And I used to read them every year, ever since I was seven! I MISS THE BOOKS!!!

Fire
well phoe, I have some serious LOTR reading to do as well, but its gonna take me time

BingaBonga
Have you read the books Fire?

Phoenix
I got the Silmarillon out of the library, so I look forward to reading that finally.

Tired Hiker
Get ready to be bored out of your gourd. big grin

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>