if you strike me down....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

bigsef2
in ANH ben told vader that if he killed him, he would become more powerful than vader could possibly imagine. lucas said this line was key to knowing why ben, yoda, and anakin disapear and qui-gon doesnt. he also said we would find the answer in AOTC. has anyone figured out this in light of what we know of AOTC now?

Ushgarak
He said we would know IN AOTC? Are you sure he actusally specified Ep. ii? Wow.

No, nothing is known of this yet.

However, I am pretty sure it'll be something that Yopda and Obi-Wan work on, the 'work' is not completed until Ep. III, and Anakin never knows about it.

yerssot
well, as far as I am considered, the IF part is the most important one.

why not: when you strike me down...
then the death is a certainty, not?

Ushgarak
He wasn't actually planning on necessarily dying at the time; not until Luke entered.

bigsef2
wow. i had never really looked at the timing of things. ben IS the only one who we have seen vanish BEFORE he died. vader did NOT strike ben down. does that mean that ben did not infact become more powerful than vader could imagine? i had assumed that his becoming powerful would be in becoming a ghost who could help luke

Ushgarak
Not really; I think Ben did what he promised. Yoda vanished while dying; this is what Obi-Wan planned to do if beaten, but in the end just did it anyway, as he thought it was best.

bigsef2
yoda vanishes AFTER his last breath. and we clearly see luke dragging anakins body AFTER he died. he hadnt dissapeared yet. ben vanishes BEFORE vader strikes him, and i think that is of key importance. maybe the reason qui-gon didnt vanish is because he didnt have time to prepare do do whatever he had to? but that doesnt really relate to the line that lucas said was key, "if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine.

Ushgarak
We do not know if it is his last breath, it could well be ione of huis last.

We NEVER see Luke dragging Anakin's body EVER. Anakin dies on the ramp; next we see of it is Vader's armour being burnt.

And see the nearby thread about Qui-Gon disappearing (and a thousand others too) for more on that

ToMacco
And so we play the waiting gamesad

King Jedi
I always thought Obi-Wan wanted to die on the Death Star. He went there to get beat. Hence Vaders "escape is not his plan" line.

Ushgarak
I think that just meant he intended to fight Vader; I don't think he was into suicide at that point; not until well into the fight.

yerssot
big, I thought that also about Vader, believe me it's not true.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.