"... and he was a good friend."

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

queeq
That line from ANH has be troubled somewhat. From the trailers I see Anakin and OB1 arguing a lot. I doubt it'll get better in Ep3. Will GL ever make that line sound truthful?

finti
friends tend to argue a bit, at least my friends do

bigsef2
i just saw ANH again yesterday and that line bothered me, too. thier friendship probably grew in the 10 years b/w TPM and AOTC and is starting to dissentigrate as AOTC unfolds.

Speaking of dissentigrations, I watched ESB yesterday, too, and Vader tells Boba Fett, "No Disentigrations." Do you think we will have to wait until EPIII to find out why Vader says this?

yerssot
for big: yep
and for queeq: about that powercoupling-stuff, you have to be friends in order to say that, otherwhise it will be said like:
You stupid idiot! defiing me again? consider yourself fired!

Ushgarak
Unless Boba Fett fried people when he was just a kid, I think the disintegration line is self-explanatory- Boba has a reputation for leaving no body. No explanation needed.

yerssot
rumor has it Boba and Anakin are old friends, now, with EpII we know better, I think

queeq
Hey, the trailer is just glimpse of their relationship, but still. I see arguments, Anakin being mad at OB1, I see sarcasm and that all during the entire movie: Coruscant (in the beginning), Tatooine (middle) and Geonosis (end). So there.
OB1's sigh in ANH saying that, did show there was something he yearned for, a close friendship. I don't are if that grew in ten years, we as an audience should see and feel that. Maybe the movie itself shows more.

Ushgarak
What's wrong with the sarcasm?

It'd all just surface stuff, I think. After all, Anakin DID come to rescue him...

queeq
And a good job that was. laughing out loud

Anyway, you know what I mean: no affection between them yet.

Ratcat
If the trailer gave any real insight into the plot then it wouldn't be doing it's job...

I think we have a LOT of surprises in store, even those amongst us who consider ourselves truly spoilt.

yerssot
3PO: "R2, I'm your father"
R2: "The name is Clarence!"

now THAT'S a surprise! eek!

queeq
indeed.

Ushgarak
Judging by what I read here, people are going to be surprised if Obi-Wan turns out to be a nice person... you nasty people, hating him like that...

queeq
Well, I don;t. I find it hard to believe NOW that Anakin wil be sympathetic. As for OB1 in AOTC: I like him already!

Aquarius87
Anakin will probably be really cockey and try to show off in front Obi 1 in every battle,anakin will be determined to appear more powerful and better than Obi wan,that will make them argue i think.roll eyes (sarcastic)

Aquarius87
All boys at 19 are cockey,Have you been in a car with a 19 yr old,this is all Obi wans problems he's dealing with an adolescent who knows how powerful he can be.

bigsef2
I got this from the starwars.com website under the profile for anakin skywalker:

Over the next decade, the two forged a strong bond. Under Obi-Wan's careful guidance, Anakin became a confident, headstrong 19-year old with an impulsive nature and a flair for adventure. His reckless ways would often wear down even Obi-Wan's patience, but the two were close friends. In many ways, Anakin looked to Obi-Wan as the father figure her never had.
As turmoil engulfed the galaxy during the transition from Republic to Empire, Anakin fell to the dark side of the Force. Consumed by evil, Anakin abandoned his past and his humanity. He became Darth Vader, Dark Lord of the Sith, apprentice to the evil Emperor Palpatine.

Sustaining grievous injuries at the hands of his former master, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Vader required cybernetic enhancements and replacements to sustain him. His pure innocent self seemingly lost forever, Darth Vader cast a dark pall over the galaxy, as he was one of the foremost agents responsible for the elimination of the Jedi order.

that should settle things

queeq
Not really. My concern in the first place was: will we SEE this friendship?

yerssot
a bit in the movie, I think

queeq
I wonder if that's enough.

yerssot
perhaps...

King Jedi
I got a big sense of there freindship from the trailer.

It reminded me of Han and Luke in some parts. And Anakin knows he's not meant to fall in love with Padme but he talks to Obi-Wan about it because he's his freind and master.

yerssot
good point!

Gundark
Well look at Obi Wan and Qui Gonn's friendship. At least what we saw of it. They seemed to be close and yet had their differences of opinion. Same with Obi Wan and Anakin.

queeq
THis is slightly different, it's crucial to the story.

peluffo
That's perfect show of deep bonds.
We'll see the relationship between them and i'm sure we'll suffer and cry when they beguin to separate.

queeq
Ya think?

King Jedi
Absolutley.

queeq
Well, I have to wait and see to be sure of that.

Ushgarak
Always the way, eh?

queeq
True. But this is one of those story elements that seems necessary to tie in with the OT. Something like Dooku is less important in the end.

yerssot
and he is... ok, he will return PERHAPS in EpIII, but it's now all about Anakin! and palpa ofcourse...

queeq
I meant for the OT. There he is all forgotten, not mentioned once.

yerssot
even Jar Jar is not mentioned smile , nor Amidala sad

queeq
Amidala is, as Leia's mother.

yerssot
ok, mentioned one time, not by name, very good!

queeq
Not by name now. And as for JarJar, it goes to show how unimportant he is.

yerssot
so Amidala is also unimportant...

queeq
Why? She gave birth to Luke and Leia.

????????

Ushgarak
I'll wait for yerss to try and justfity that...

queeq
Me too.

yerssot
because she isn't mentioned by name

jedi212guy
She's less important than OB1, of course, but she still places a crucial role in the overall SW saga.

King Jedi
Of course Jar Jar's uninportant to the overall stroy. I don't even think the biggest Jar Jar fan would say he was.

queeq
Just that her name isn't mentioned, means nothing of course. Padme as a person was mentioned, that's what's important.

yerssot
but she is unimportant in the OT...

Ushgarak
More important than Dooku, though.

yerssot
yeah, but nobody talks about Maul either

Ushgarak
Meaning?

yerssot
he wasn't important, so for Amidala and Dooku...

Ushgarak
Comparing Maul with Amidala is a pretty futile exercise if you are trying to prove her unimportant.

The point is that Amidala is one of the central charatcers of the story- being a front-row charactcer in the first three films. This makes her more important- even in the OT_ than someone who was created purely to be a stylish bad guy for just two of them.

jedi212guy
You don't have to be in all 6 films to be a major character. After all, the story spans 2 generations? Who thinks that Padme is more important than Han Solo? Nobody!

Ushgarak
She is AS important. She is a front row character for three films.

SilentMike
All I have to say is that natalie portman looks hot in AOTC I need to get that new poster she is fine

yerssot
she is not mentioned by name in the OT, so...

mah
no' again, yerssot.

yerssot
big grin , hey she is not called by her name, so the theory of not being mentioned is stupid

mah
that's true

Ushgarak
I do rather think you are just deliberately and pedantically missing queeq's point there, yerss.

yerssot
queeq posted something???

Julie
Every character has their part in this saga. Padme Amidala is just as important as any of the other major characters....ie. Anakin, Luke, Leia, Han, Chewie, Palpatine, etc.

Ushgarak
Anakin and Luke, really, rate as the MOST important, as they are the centre of the story.

queeq
VEry. And then there is OB1, Padme, Leia, Palpy and Han. That about sums it up.

yerssot
and all the rebels?

Ushgarak
No.

yerssot
and the stormtroopers?

Ushgarak
No. Nor the Gungans or even, amazingly, the Ewoks.

yerssot
Bothans? big grin

Julie
Hmmm where would we be without the "little guys"?????
It is sometimes the insignificant ones that FOIL the protagonists so well.

queeq
That was the point of the Ewoks.... and the ONLY point.

yerssot
Wookies?

Julie
One view is that wookies are "big walking carpets"
But they also make great copilots and are great to have on your side in a fight.

queeq
Still now main character though.

Julie
True. I said it before and I'll say it again, the main characters are made so much brighter by being contrasted against lesser characters....so in a way the "little guy" is very important. (This seen only from a certain point of view)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.