obi-wan's master

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

bigsef2
why did ben tell luke in ESB that yoda trained him when we know from TPM that qui-gon was his master? has GL ever explained that?

Ushgarak
Yes.

Yoda trains ALL Jedi from child until they 'graduate' to Padawan. Then they are assigned a senior Jedi to take them out into the Galaxy to learn until they are ready to be a Knight.

So Yoda was once Obi-Wan's Master and instructor, and then Qui-Gon took over.

Trick is, Anakin NEVER had Yoda's basic training, so presumably Obi-Wan tried to give it to him, hence his comment in ROTJ about being wrong about being able to do as good a job.

yerssot
you beat me to it Ush sad

bigsef2
That makes good sense. I don't question it, but what is the source? Is it cannon, or just something in a book or something? Do you think Lucas will ever make that clear in EPII or III? I mean, it does APPEAR to be a big discrepancy.

Ushgarak
Yeah, it's canon, GL talked about it.

Obi-Wan's comment at the start of TPM about Yoda having 'taught' him to be mindful of the future was meant to prevent any discrepancy, by revealing that Yoda was once his Master.

Venom
Nothing to add, just: THINK (and watch the movies a second time) before asking, sef!

finti
He must be allowed to ask.

Gundark
Ush is so good at explaining these things. (no graemlin)

yoda900
Well, I believe the officail line OB1 said in ESB was this : "Luke, you must go to the Dagobah system, there you will find yoda, the jedi master who taught me"
also in ROTJ "your father was a good man, when I first knew him, he was already a great pilot, but I was amazed at how strong the force was with him, I took it upon myself to train him, I thought I could instruct him as well as Yoda, I was wrong"

Therefore, there is no discrepency as far as I can tell. Although I am not sure why Yoda would have allowed this, but who knows.

ToMacco
I think you're right Y900, it is a hazy area that Lucas should clear up in the next two films. I'm sure he will.

The son of a ***** has an explination for everything.

Julie
That could be considered Star Wars blasphemy.....just kiddin'

Obi wan probably never mentioned Qui gon b/c
1) Gui Gon didn't exist then
2) Gui Gon's death was rough for Obi Wan
3) Obi Wan saw it from a certain point of view

bigsef2
as ushgarak said earlier. yoda trained anakin, as he does all young jedi. if you notice qui-gons role was to teach anakin the practical applications of the things yoda had already taught him. yoda taught obiwan the force. qui-gon took him on as a padawan and groomed him to be a full grown knight.

yerssot
what you receive after Yoda is just field-experience...

Julie
Yoda must be one busy little Jedi Master.

yerssot
hey, he IS 900 years!

Julie
At least he can get senior citizen discounts.

yerssot
why? he can force- persuede them to get it all for free...

Julie
True, but wouldn't that be of the dark side of the force?

ToMacco
The reason Obi-wan says Yoda is his master, was because he was while Empire was shot.

Lucas decided to expand and make more characters, to make the new trillogy more interesting. Later, he comes up with an explination of why there was no mention of Qui-gon. There wasn't any deep meaning behind it.

yerssot
I can't follow but heck...

Ushgarak
Not that I see a problem with that, To. Star Wars has always been a story that morphed and changed as time went by.

jedi212guy
Heck, inone of the early drafts of SW, didn't Vader die in the DS battle? I don't remember where I heard this... sad

yerssot
yes, one of the first drafts...
but then he realized that Vader was too important for the rest of the story (hence, the battle in ESB)

Julie
Vader = Very important....so he sticks around. Who else was considered "very important".....Luke...Leia....Han....are they alive because there "very important" or just because they're cool characters....or are the two synonymous??????
(Did anyone follow that?)

jedi212guy
It makes sense. Uncle Owen isn't in ESB, thank goodness.

Sorry, but I won't be able to post much this week. I've got finals this week. Man, they suck. I know, I know. I should have said this at the general discussion forums, but what are you gonna do about it? Nothing! wink wink

Julie
I take it you don't like poor Uncle Owen. Where did these feelings of anamosity spring from?

yerssot
the reason why Owen died, was to give Luke a reason to leave Tatooine and possible seeking revang

(check Myth for that)

Julie
A valid point, yerssot. However, that doesn't explain 212's animosity towards the poor smokin dead guy that was once Uncle Owen.

yerssot
don't know what you mean, but the reason why the burning corpse was there was because otherwhise SW had a "sticker" or whatever that said that SW was good for children (so not 12+)

Julie
....and that would be a bad thing....right?

Ushgarak
It's only a rumour. Based on an idea that too 'low' a certificate would harm sales.

yerssot
it's a rumor??? then a hard one! I heared it for years and years!

Ushgarak
Because it is a very plausible rumour. But it has never been confirmed.

yerssot
and shall neve be comfirmed...

You have spoken!

Ushgarak
Err, well, you never know...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.