USH'S MATRIX GAME- Character Creation Thread v2.6

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ushgarak
Here is the place where you can see the rules for creating characters for use with my Matrix RP. It is now in its second version, the game having received considerable testing.

Note that due to extreme demand for the Matrix RP, whilst everyone should feel free to make characters, to practice in the Dojo, and even to go on Training Missions I may give you, it may not be possible to allow you to go out on Assignment in the Matrix and interact with the main plot. Sorry, but there is only so much I can handle at a time!

There are six stages in character creation.

1. Name (harder than you might think)
2. Template- as in what sort of character he is (something players of my other games will be familiar with)
3. Statistics- deciding how strong, fast tough etc. you are. This is dependant on your Template choice.
4. Storyline choice- there are two main storylines in the game you have to chose between
5. The Oracle- vital background to your character in the form of what the Oracle told you when you met her.
6. Downloading- deciding what your Downloaded skills and powers are. This is handled in a separate thread.

Note that options 4 and 5 are only important for people going on Assignment.

However, the following rules apply to all characters:

1. Everyone is a Rebel- already unplugged and ready for ship service- of fighting age

2. No-one can Captain a ship, nor is anyone at this point permanently attached to any ship other than either one of the two I create for this game- the Shahazarad and the Persepolis. And as it stands, those two ships are currently fully crewed.

3. Everyone has done operations in the Matrix before except the Natural- who can be ready to do his first assignment, or maybe has done one or two only.

Other than that, when you create a character, feel free to add as much background detail as you like!

Ushgarak
1. Name

Either the easiest or the hardest part, depending on the person...

This isn't any form of normal human name though. That was a false name, the name you had in the dream world of the Matrix. Rebels use their aliases they used in the fake world as part of their rejection of reality- subconciously or otherwise. Each of you had one and each of you still uses it.

Here are some guidelines- not strict rules but helpful- about creating names. I am unlikely to reject a name but it is possible.

1. They should be short and to the point.
2. It is nice, but not essential, if they compliment your personality.
3. Names in the Matrix films are always one of three things:

a. Mythological or Biblical references (Morpheus, Trinity, Malachi). Note that they only ever use the Old Testament in the films.

b. On-line hacker-style names that you might, for example, use at website (Bane, Ice, Corrupt, Apoc, Switch, Mouse). They have to be direct and unobscure though- Ushgarak or Captain Rex would not do!

c. Everyday names but ones that sound cooler than 'Paul', normally synonomous with a philosopher (Ballard, Soren)

Those were examples from the films, here are examples from my play group at home:

Aeneas, Tiberius, Joshua, Samson, Glitch, RAM, Morrigan, Zenith

Ushgarak
2. Templates

Your template helps both me and your fellow players know what sort of Rebel you are- are you a Trinity style warrior, a Morpheus style leader, or are you a mini-Neo? Templates set the base differences between you- the Download system will make the differences more detailed though.

The Hacker

"I know what you are thinking. Why didn't I take the BLUE pill?"

Description: One of Zion's elite rebel warriors, the Hacker is a freedom fighter near the peak of his physical fitness. He has performed several misisons in the Matrix and he is ready for everything. He is a valued crew member for any ship.

- Physically fit: the Hacker is strong in the real world and this carries into his residual self-image.

- Practically skilled: the Hacker has picked up number of useful skills for use in the Matrix- driving, stealth, breaking and entering etc.

Notes: If in doubt, chose a Hacker. They are very competent, easy to use and make the best direct fighters in the game. They do not have to be mindless warriors if you do not want them to be- there is a lot of scope for variety in a Hacker.

Closest film match: Trinity

-

The Veteran

"You always told us never to use the Highway."
"Then let us hope I was wrong."

Description: Sad as it may be, service on board a ship is dangerous and too many experienced men have been lost in the field. Those that survive long campaigns are the valued Veterans of Zion- those who have seen and done it all. Veterans have seen Agents and lived, performed great services for Zion, beaten the machines at their own game and freed many more minds for the cause.

- Instinctive fighter: After so long on the front lines the Veteran's downloaded combat skills have become second nature to him, carrying over even into the real world. He gets +1 Martial Arts and +1 Guns before having downloaded anything. This puts him on the same basic combat potential as the Hacker, but still slower.

- Master of the Impossible: Years of practice have also rendered the Veteran's mind more capable of accepting the impossible in what he performs. He pays one less to Perform the Impossible for Guns and Martial Arts- meaning he can go to 14 with no penalty at all, 15 for 2 points, and 16 for 6.

- Aura of Experience: Not only do Veterans automatically outrank all other templates, there is something about a Veteran that commands respect. Not all are born leaders but they all are famous throughout Zion for their deeds and everyone looks up to them and wants to be like them one day...

- VERY skilled: The Veteran has spent his life on the front lines. Not only does he have a great number of skills for use in the Matrix of all sorts, he also knows many real-world skills- like how to fly a hovership and how to navigate aorund the twisting tunnels of the Real. He also knows The City like the back of his hand, knowing where is safe to go and where you should ALWAYS avoid.

- Seen it all: Weird things happen in the Matrix- but there is very little that can faze a Veteran. If there is something weird going on, chances are the Veteran has at least seen something similar before.

- Skilled Downloader: The Veteran's brain is more adapted to downloading data than those of the other templates. His brain is both more flexible with data and can up/download programmes into his head twice as fast.

- Relic: All Veterans also own a Relic. This makes no difference to gameplay, only style. Relics are objects left from the world before the Machines- which is to say, something you would normally only find in the Matrix, but in the Real World, found during a visit to the surface, something each Veteran has done once.

It can be anything practical- a Bible, a set of Elvis Presley records, a piece of clothing that looks better than those damn sweaters (like an Armani Jacket), a Game Boy... it won't help you, but it is meant to help define your character!

Notes: He has got lots of advantages but the extra secondary stats the Hacker gets really tells in making the Hacker the better fighter. The Veteran, however, is meant to be the voice of intelligence, wisdom and reason in the group, and players who want to be known for more than their kick-ass abilities should look in this direction. There are also some particular martial arts moves that only Veterans can perform. Also note that Veterans are not OLD- they are in their 30s, by which time they might have been in active service for 15 years or more!

Closest film match: Morpheus

-

The Natural

"I know Kung Fu!"

Description: In all areas some people are more talented than others. This is also true of operations in the Matrix. Some minds have already half-freed themselves by the time the Rebels found them- they had a particularly strong mind that yearned to be free. And when they returned to the Matrix as soldiers, they picked up the basics of life as a Rebel very fast. To the surprise of their trainers they picked up the Jump programme in just two attempts, and almost instinctively knew how to do the impossible in the Matrix. These are the Naturals- novice Rebels, but those with strong minds who can push the boundaries of the Matrix further than the others.

- Training hard. All Naturals have been trying their damned best to become as fit and strong as their more experienced counterparts

- Natural Focus: The Natural can focus more easily and more powerfully than any other template in order to perform the impossible moves and stunts seen in the films. He gets a starting Focus Pool of 4 rather than 0.

- Quick learner: For every three Fu powers that a Natural pays to download, he gets to choose a bonus power for no cost.

- Unskilled: Naturals are recruited at school age at the latest- they have not even learned to drive. However, there is always one thing that ALL the templates are reliably good with, and the Natural is no exception- computers! Naturals have also seen very little- if any- experience in the Matrix.

Notes: Again, the Hacker's secondary stats bonuses make him the better straight fighter than the Natural. But the intelligently played Natural has a bewildering arrays of tricks, powers and moves in order to defeat his opponents. It's a lot of effort, but also a lot of fun- and the Natural may appeal to the more stylishly inclined among you... Note that Naturals do not make good gunslingers. They can use guns if they want but unless they concentrate on Kung Fu they are not playing to their Natural advantages!

Closest film match: Neo- BEFORE he became the One! Even so, he was too powerful- Naturals cannot dodge like Agents! It is reasonable to assume that The Kid is also a Natural.

Ushgarak

Ushgarak

Ushgarak
5. Storyline Choice

The Matrix franchise is a franchise of two things- kick ass martial arts action- Kung Fu vs. Robots, as the Brothers call it- and deep, intelligent- if somewhat cursory- examination of philisopihcal issues around the theme of control and survival and existence. Some people like one side more than the other, some, of course, think the two compliment each other well.

As players of my other games know I always like to try and simulate the franchise in which I am designing a game for as best I can, but at the same time I do not want to saddle people with doing things they do not like. To this end, the game will be provided with TWO storylines, which may- or may not- be played out in seperate threads.

The first storyline will happily dive deep into the philisophical issues raised by the films. There will be much thought and introspection and puzzles that require brainpower to solve.

The second storyline dumps all of that and is ONLY comprised of fighting and action and various investigation bits mainly designed so you can find out where the next bit of action is!

I call this the philosophy/non-philosophy choice, though you can call it what you like- the clever/stupid choice, or the boring/fun choice... however you want to see it!

Here are some important points:

- The first path is not continuous thinking, nor is the second path continuous fighting! The philosophy followers have plenty of action of their own- it IS the Matrix after all! And the fighting types don't spend every second of their lives beating things up- they might need SOME brains at some points! But for the first path, the major problem in the game is likely to be some sort of puzzle to be solved. For the second path, the major problem is likely to be some form of shit hard bad guy who is REALLY difficult to beat!

- You will not always be parted. Both paths will actually spend a considerable amount of time working together, and the largest battles in the game will very likely be fought by both paths against the bad guys.

- You need each other. Both paths are pursuing important objectives towards the SAME goal- and if necessary, you will have to help each other out!

- Obviously enough, whilst there is always danger in all games for anyone, the non-philosophy people are at more risk of dying. If the Agents turn up, it is far more likely going to the the non-philosophy people they are there to stop...

Take a little time to think about this- decide what sort of game would better suit you.

For more information, see this thread.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f41/t18963.html

Ushgarak
6. The Oracle

To encourage the feel of the films and character backgrounds that can more easily have an effect on play, all characters wishing to play in assignments must have an answer to this question:

What did the Oracle tell you when you first met her?

The answer to this question will form part of your personal plotline- though only once you have played an assignment or two.

Now, you can provide as much information as to what she said to you as you like, with a full background and short story... for game purposes though, I need what she said to be able to be boiled down to a single, easily understandable sentence.

Here are the guidelines:

- The Oracle will tell you something you are going to be, something you are going to do, or something that is going to happen to you. She will not tell you the winning lottery tickets for next week, or who the One is, or anything like that.

- The Oracle does not deal with conditionals. She will never tell you that you may or might do something- she will tell you that you WILL do something. That does not mean she knows all of it- she may tell you that you will have to make a choice at some point, but even she does not know what your choice will be

- The Oracle is not ridiculously vague- "You will be a great man one day" but nor is she remarkably specific "At 1:27pm on July 13th next year a guy with a blue bag will walk past you; you will bump into this guy and he will drop his bag and etc. etc." She talks broadly, but she is always alluding to something in particular

- The Oracle tells you things that will HELP you. If she tells you something that will happen to you, it is so you can prepare for it. If she is telling you of a choice, it is so you can think about it first and make the right one. Even if she did know it, she would never tell anyone "You are going to die in three days." How would that help? She is here to be of aid to the Rebels, not just tell random fortunes.

- The Oracle will not explain what she means. Understanding has to be achieved. She will not tell you what the right choice is- it is important that YOU make the choice, not her.

This may also take some thought so please take your time. I also have to approve each of these. Do not go overboard trying to make a prediction and also explaining what it means- it is up to ME to decide what it really means, so you may do well to make up something you have no idea about and wait for me to surprise you by interpreting it for you!

To help you, here are the boiled-down versions of the predictions that the Oracle gave to the main characters of the first film:

To Morpheus: You will find the One.

This set Morpheus UPON the path of finding the One. The Oracle knew he could do it; this prediction made itself come true by making him think he would do it too- and he did.

To Trinity: You will fall in love with someone, and that person will be the One

This meant that when Trinity felt she was falling in love with Neo, she KNEW he was the One, had faith in him and allowed him to feel her love and BECOME the One at the crucial moment

To Neo: Morpheus will sacrifice his life for yours- You must chose between your life and his.

The Oracle did not have to tell Neo what was going on or what she meant or why Morpheus thought he was the One. She only had to tell him this- and this got him thinking so much about it that at the crucial time he made the right choice- to tell Tank to NOT kill Morpheus and to go rescue him. As predicted, then, Neo died- but of course came back, as the Oracle knew he would.

This prediction was particularly clever because it depended on Neo thinking he was NOT the One- he went to save Morpheus on the idea that Morpheus had made a mistake. If the Oracle had told Neo he was the One, he might never have gone in, thinking Morpheus had been right to give his life for him.

The Oracle is a clever woman, so it is worth taking a little time over what she said- she had something in mind for each of you!

For more information, go here:

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f41/t20930.html

Ushgarak
7. Downloading

THis is handled separately once you have done the othert parts of character creation.

Ushgarak
Ok, this is now on V2.5... anyone interested in re-doing their stats, please post their changes here!

I will need everyone's skills also.

tptmanno1
I told you mine right?

Ushgarak
Err, well, it's probably more conveneint if you re-post them here.

Captain REX
Anything that I really and absolutely need to change Ush?

Ushgarak
You need to do your skills and customise your stats if you so wish.

Captain REX
Alrighty!

For the Stats, use the four Hacker points on the four options, one point each, then I choose Dexterity and Toughness for the 2-points-up-each.

Ushgarak
Wow, you are going for the even spread, huh? That's fine, but so long as you appreciate that would leave you a point down on Body and Reflexes compared to now, ok?

Captain REX
Hmm...

Actually, 2 points on body, 1 on reflexes, 1 on Fu.

Ushgarak
(nods)

Okidokey!

(thicko)

(giggles)

Captain REX
*just smiles and nods*

Trinity_Matrix
Hmm...I say 2 for reflexes, 1 for body, and 1 for mind...add two to strength and agility (yeah, bit of a change...) Skills I'd like to add 2 to intrusion, 1 to driving, and 1 to computers...sound good?

Captain REX
You know, I just realized that Downloading is all about choice... wink

Trinity_Matrix
No kidding....

Ushgarak
All sounds fine to me...

tptmanno1
ok I wanna add 2 to Body and Reflexes, then add to dexterity and toughness
non-combats-
gunnery-2
observation-1
intrusion-1

SpikeSpiegel
Can I keep mine as I was?

Ushgarak
Sure. I just need skills.

SpikeSpiegel
So like:
2 on Body
2 on Reflexes
1 on Fu

Ushgarak
Oh, so not the same as you were before then? Ok.

But I still need your skills.

SpikeSpiegel
I'll take:
Computers +1
Intrusion +1
Drive +1

Ushgarak
So noted!

Dexx
+1 to body
+2 to reflexes
+1 to mind

and the noncombat skills:

+2 to drive
+2 to intrusion

there..

Fire
+2 to body, +2 to reflexes

Leadership +2
Info (Real-world sewer system) +1
Info (The City) +1
Observation +2

I'd like to get rid of passive wings and get: INTEGRATION OF THE CLOUDS, UNPREDICTABLE SHADOW ATTACK and ADAPTIVE GHOST DEFENCE

SpikeSpiegel
Kronos still wants to make a character. I told him I'ld help him but I've been having alot of power cuts where I live today (One a few mins ago) so could someone else help him if i suddenly go off line?

Vincent Rendar
Asa natural i can only get +3 to computers right? and as for fu and all that stuff... add 3 to fu and 2 to body

Ushgarak
Whoa, you are going to add nothing to Reflexes, Castor? That will mean a serious re-think of your downloading as your MA and Guns will shoot down.

Everyone else, thanks, as for Kronos, that's good, I believe Rusky wants a training partner.

Vincent Rendar
2 to reflexes, 2 to body, 1 to fu

Ushgarak
Ok, getting a lot of people done (you did not assign your secondaries, Rade, so I left them where they were before), but some people haven't done skills.

Trickster
Ugh. I'll do this tomorrow at school if i get the chance so don't be surprised if a half finished post appears... That's when I am posting while a teacher kills me wink

Ushgarak
So noted! I'll try not to penalise you for it...

Trickster
Azrael, Hacker - Philosophy Path
Prediction - Ush, can you put mine here?

Body - 6
Reflexes - 7(+1)
Mind - 7(+1)
Fu - 2(+2) - Does this look good? Should I just have put one on everything? Or should I have concentrated more?

Computers +3
Fix-it +2
Drive +2
Intrusion +3(+2)
Information +1(+1)
Observation +1(+1)

Trickster
Sos, I had it half done, but the teacher restarted my compuiter so instead of posting I emailed it to myself big grin Sorry...

Ushgarak
Having a low body would leave you vulnerable to damage and means you do not hit hard. It might be said that a Hacker probably has to be pretty fit or you may as well be a different template.

Dexx
aargh....so its too late to change my +1 to mind back to body, right? sad

Ushgarak
Don't feel obliged, Dexx; my worry with Azrael is that he has put three points into non-physical stats; you have only put one.

Trickster
2 on reflexes, one on body and one on Fu. Do I need Fu?

Trickster
Yeah that'll suit me. If it looks good?

Ushgarak
You don't NEED Fu. Fu can be useful. Same goes for all of them.

Looks fine to me- shall I load it up?

Trickster
Yeah go for it.

Red_Drake
Hey can I enter this RP too? if yes the name Dragon is ok for my character? (hoping no one had taken it yet)

Ushgarak
Yes you can, but like other recent entrants, you can only train- the main plotline will not be accessible until the currentr set of Assignments finish and the players return to Zion.

barbarossa
okay sorry this took me so long but here we go.

I'd like to keep my stats the same, and for skills I'd like +2 to drive, +1 to fix-it, and +1 to intrusion.

Ushgarak
Thanks...

Daedalus
I'm kinda new at this so bear with me....
Name: Chance
Template: Veteran +2 Fu and +2 Reflexes
Storyline: Philosophy
Oracle: (Ush could you fill this gap?)
Computers +6
Fix-it +4
Drive +2
Leadership +2
Info (Real-world sewer system) +3
Info (The City) +3
Pilot (Hovership) +2
Gunnery +1
Martial Arts +1
Guns +1

I've probably made some dumb ass error but there you are.

Ushgarak
Don#t worry about the Oracle thing yet.

This is still something players are learning, but you may want to talk to others about the process of adding +2 to fu and nothing to Body.

Daedalus
I intitialy thought +2 body, but I wasn't sure what attribute governed Fu.

Ushgarak
It is probably a good idea to put at least one in body.

Red_Drake
Okay I'll make my character and make it ready to when I can get to the Matrix.

Name: Zero (yeah yeah like Megaman but the hell with that laughing out loud )
Template: Natural 1 Body, 1 Mind, 1 Reflexes and 1 Fu
Storyline: Philosophy.
Oracle: "You hold the key to free your friends, but it'll cost you greatly."
Skills: Computer +6

Hey did I do everything right? wink

Daedalus
Okay I'll add +2 to body then stick out tongue (Mr. UberBeef, lol)

Dexx
yes..but can i do the change? big grin

Kronos
This is Spike, I'm helping Kronos with his character.
Name: Raziel
Template: Natural
Statistics: +2 body, +2 Reflexes, +1 Fu
Skills: +3 Intrusion
Storyline: Combat
Oracle: Meeting with an old friend will lead you to a decision to choose between your old life or your new one.

SpikeSpiegel
I think I did everything right. I'll help him do the downloading if that's ok.

Ushgarak
Oh yeah, just a bit rushed right now, I'll check all these tomorrow.

Red_Drake
Okay just don't forget wink

Daedalus
When can I use my character? stick out tongue

Ushgarak
Errr, when I actually find time to check them out... I shall try after work today but no promises...

Daedalus
Sorry for rushing you Ush, it must be overwhelming with everyone wanting their characters done. stick out tongue No worries.

Ushgarak
Ok, lemme see here...

Daedalus is fine...

RD, looks fine but you may feel a little underpowered in a fight having boosted boith Fu and Mind, as opposed to the combat stats.

Kronos, that is fine also.

Captain REX
After Episode IV of the Combat Path, I am going to make some updates to my lovely loadout, if possible. I'll go ahead and post them now, if that's alright.

Ushgarak
Sure thing. Harsh testing ground is The Heist...

Captain REX
I can tell. eek!

Captain REX
Focus x8: 4
Gun Trick: Coppertop Killer (Master): 6
Gun Trick: Lightning Reload (Advanced): 4
Gun Trick: Eagle Eye (Basic): 2
Guntrick: Both Guns Blazing (Basic): 2
Path: Clever Fox (Advanced): 3
Path: Storm Turtle (Advanced): 3
Path: Tightening Coils (Basic): 1
Path: Leaping Storm (Basic): 2
Guns x5: 6
MAx2: 2

Hot Zone:
Guns x4: 4
Performing the Impossible (Guns): 3
Spare: 3

Stat and skill totals

Body: 8 (Strength: 8, Constitution: 8, Toughness: 10)
Reflexes: 7 (Dexterity: 9, Agility: 7, Speed: 7)
Mind: 6 (Perception 6, Intelligence 6, Charisma 6, Willpower 6)
Fu: 1 (Focus 1, Fortune 1)
Focus Pool: 9

Ushgarak
So, what is it you are changing? What things have been occurring to you?

Trinity_Matrix
I may fiddle around with my downloads when this assignment is over, myself...mostly just shifting around the paths, probably (like I may actually take a master level path finally, heh...)

Ushgarak
oooh!

Trinity_Matrix
Most likely what'll I'll do is shift Hands of Light down to basic and make Venerable Grasshopper master level, and then leave everything else the same.

Ushgarak
Gotcha.

Captain REX
I took out Sharpened Scales and one other path to make room for Both Guns Blazing and up Lightning Reload to Advanced. I suppose I'd better still have some form of thing about my combat experience MA wise.

Guntrick: Both Guns Blazing (Basic): 2

Hot Zone:
Guns x3: 3
Martial Arts x1: 1

Stat and skill totals

SpikeSpiegel
I was going to do the same. I want that FLIP OF THE GRASSHOPPER

Ushgarak
Heh- suddenly moves that allow you to escape combat look damn useful, don't they? Throws can help you there as well, but with one move that sends opponents prone, one that sends them flying back and one that just lets you leave combat. Venerable Grasshopper is a VERY useful mobility Path.

Actually, you may well find that a lot of moves that didn't seem that useful first time you read them end up being VERY handy.

Trinity_Matrix
laughing out loud same here!!!

...plus I like to kick things laughing out loud

Trinity_Matrix
Ya know, after how this assignment is going, I think I'm going to be making much larger changes to my download than I was originally planning to...

Captain REX
Also, Heph is the only one who can use his stick o' bamboo to escape combat AND beat on multiple bad guys.

Trinity_Matrix
Yeah, well, good for him stick out tongue

Heh, I love the 'stick o bamboo' thing...

I'm thinking what I'm going to do is drop Both Guns Blazing altogether, take another combat path at basic level, and move my MA up to 15 (along with what I was already planning on doing).

Captain REX
Also considering whether I should really have BGB...I mean, you only fire 2 bursts more than usual, but it is more ammo conservative for at least one of your guns.

Captain REX
Gun Trick: Lightning Reload (Master): 6

Hot Zone:

Stat and skill totals

There, that seems more appetizing. big grin

Ushgarak
I am unsure if people know how to use BGB... you don't get any extra bursts. If you fire three bursts from each gun that is a 3 burst attack, not 6. The bursts you fire must be matched in each gun.

Captain REX
Oh! Well, then I don't really want BGB then at all. It just looks cool. big grin

Ushgarak
I don't see anyone laughing at Loomis...

Trinity_Matrix
This is how I think I'd like my new download to look:

Path of the Passive Wings (basic level) : 1
Path of the Tightening Coils (advanced level) : 3
Path of the Storm Turtle (advanced level) : 3
Path of the Leaping Storm (advanced level) : 4
Path of the Hands of Light (basic level) : 1
Path of the Venerable Grasshopper (master level) : 5
Path of the Clever Fox (basic level): 1
Path of the Iron Butterfly (basic level): 1
Gun Trick: Lightning Reload (basic level) : 2
Focus x11: 7
MA x1: 1

Hot Zone:

Guns x3: 5
MA x3: 4
Performing the Impossible (Guns and MA): 4

Stat and skill totals:

Body: 7 (Strength: 9, Constitution: 7, Toughness: 7)
Reflexes: 8 (Dexterity: 8, Agility: 10, Speed: 8)
Mind: 7 (Perception: 7, Intelligence: 7, Charisma: 7, Willpower: 7)
Fu: 0
Focus Pool: 11

That all check out okay?

Trinity_Matrix
...actually, I think I messed something up in there, but I can't think of what...

Ushgarak
That is MA 14.

Trinity_Matrix
Okay, figured that's what I messed up...I want to get my MA to 15.

SpikeSpiegel
Oh, and I'll take a driving skill with my spare hot zone point

Captain REX
laughing out loud

No, we're not laughing at Loomis, just shooting him.

rusky
Uh...Ush, that reminds me...can I change my oracle prediction to "Agents will suffer greatly at u'r hands." ? whistle

General Zink
You wish. stick out tongue

rusky
Ssshhh... let Ush think.. angel

SpikeSpiegel
After this I'm going to drop Hands of Light completely and master venerable grasshopper. I also want to master storm turtle, but I wount be able to with the cost thingy for mastering things.

Ushgarak
Oh, I am afraid I like the idea of people finding out just what 'great cost' entails...

Function of BGB:

1. To allow you to fire at two targets in completely different directions
2. To allow you to handle a melee weapon and gun at once
3. Because it makes small guns do the damage of big ones. Loomis is hitting Ares just as hard as Khali is with an assault rifle.
4. CLASSIFIED- and I am surprised you have not sussed it yet.

Ushgarak
BAD uses of BGB:

1. General use- unless you are a Master
2. Killing coppertops. Not actually BAD at this, but using a big gun and/or Coppertop Killer is just SO much better!
3. Firing at nearby multiple targets- burst fire is better.

General Zink
Well I'll be damned, Ush...

Captain REX
Well, the bad uses still annoy me...

Captain REX
It'll have to wait until I can Master it. yes

rusky
Oh..that's no I guess...

PLS Ush.... Don't let the ugly,evil agents get me...eek!

Ushgarak
You can change any time before play, Rusky, subject to approval...

Bespin Bart
Meaning I could use a katana and a katana, Ush? BGB that is?

Ushgarak
Katana and a Gun- like Jericho. Also Morpheus...

Captain REX
Haha, BB...

Though, could he go double sword?

Ushgarak
You could use two smaller swords as an effective strength +3 weapon but you could not use Jade Emperor with them.

Captain REX
That would have been deadly...

I smell a two swords path! laughing out loud j/k

rusky
Ok..thanks Ush smile..so I'll change my prediction to :
"The Shaolin Blood is in you, boy, U'r hands are fast and u'r mind sharp.
In time the agents shall fear you"

Well, u can drop that last bit if it's too much big grin

Captain REX
I kinda doubt that...

rusky
Doubt what ?

Captain REX
That prediction. The only one Agents fear is Neo. And they don't really fear him, since they have no real emotions.

rusky
Well...I meant it in a...uhm...poetical way ofc big grin

Bespin Bart
laughing out loud

I've had some revelations in my time in the Matrix, especially after Jericho is stabbing people and shooting them at the same time... big grin

Primary Stat Increase (Reflexes): 5
Path: Jade Emperor Master - 5
Path: Venerable Grasshopper Master - 5
Path: Storm Turtle Advanced - 3
Path: Leaping Storm Basic - 2
Path: Sharpened Scales Basic - 1
Path: Healthy Tiger Basic - 1
Gun Trick: Both Guns Blazing Basic - 2
Extra Master Training: 1
Martial Arts x2: 2
Spare: 0

Hot Zone:
Martial Arts x4 (+1 Veteran Bonus): 5
Guns x4(+1 Veteran Bonus): 5
Performing the Impossible (Martial Arts, -1 Veteran discount): 0
Spare: 1

Stat and skill totals:

Body: 8 (Strength: 8, Constitution: 8, Toughness: 8)
Reflexes: 8 (Dexterity: 8, Agility: 8, Speed: 8)
Martial Arts: 14
Guns: 14

That should do the trick. yes

Ushgarak
One point underspent on Paths.

And it is not easy to do the simultaneous gun/sword thing....

Bespin Bart
Understood, but I can try. wink

In that case, I'll thow in, Tightening Coils on Basic again. I'll just edit that post...

Bespin Bart
Actually, Heatlhy Tiger seems more appetizing. yes

Captain REX
Gun Trick: Lightning Reload (Master): 6
Guns x6: 6
MA x2: 2

Hot Zone:
Martial Arts x3: 3

Stat and skill totals

Okay, I tried to work out some kinks, so what do you think of this one, Ush? Any errors? What does that put my MA and Guns at?

Trinity_Matrix
Okay, so guess what. After my current troubles in the RP, I think I'm going to change my download again! But don't worry, I'll have it all figured out by the end of this assignment...

Captain REX
Aye, so am I. miffed:

Captain REX
Path: Crouching Monk (Basic): 1
Path: Invincible Scholar (Basic): 1
Path: Defensive Master (Basic): 1
Path: Falling Willow

Hot Zone:

Stat and skill totals

Hopefully I'll be happy with this one...

Doesn't look much like a gunner anymore...

Trinity_Matrix
Wow, Rex, that's quite a change laughing out loud

Look, I'm redoing mine again!!

Path of the Passive Wings (basic level) : 1
Path of the Crouching Monk (basic level): 1
Path of the Iron Butterfly (basic level): 1
Path of the Tightening Coils (basic level): 1
Path of the Storm Turtle (advanced level) : 3
Path of the Leaping Storm (advanced level) : 4
Path of the Hands of Light (basic level) : 1
Path of the Venerable Grasshopper (master level) : 5
Path of the Clever Fox (basic level): 1
Gun Trick: Both Guns Blazing (advanced level) : 4
Gun Trick: Lightning Reload (basic level) : 2
MA x1: 1

Hot Zone:

Guns x3: 5
MA x3: 3
Performing the Impossible (Guns and MA): 2

Stat and skill totals:

Body: 7 (Strength: 9, Constitution: 7, Toughness: 7)
Reflexes: 8 (Dexterity: 8, Agility: 10, Speed: 8)
Mind: 7 (Perception: 7, Intelligence: 7, Charisma: 7, Willpower: 7)

Hah, I think I like this one, now...forget increasing my MA, I'll do that later...right now I just want more paths yes

Captain REX
Grr, I messed up without realizing it...

Path: Crouching Monk (Basic): 1
Path: Falling Willow (Basic): 1

Hot Zone:

Stat and skill totals

Dexx
uuush...can i revert the +1 at mind back to body? pweaase smile

Ushgarak
Heh, thought you might... no offence to the brains of Hackers, but they BELONG tough...

Dexx
awh, thank you! they do!

Ushgarak
Yup. Let's face it, the only thing a Hacker HAS over the other templates is his fitness. Deny that advantage... and you may as well play another template.

rusky
So Ush..is my new prediction fine ? angel

Captain REX
And can you check my most recent download to make sure it is okay?

Damn, he's gone again...

General Zink
Well, while we're at it, I'll make a few changes myself! I'm dropping Tightening Coils, since it so far has made no use to me, and Iron Butterfly, since I favor my lovely staff and other killing skills far more. Then I'm raising D. Master and Invincible Scholar to Advanced. Far easier as a Natural, it really is!

Focus x 11 (+4 point Natural bonus): 7
Path: Leaping Storm (Master): 5
Path: Lone Bamboo (Master): 4
Path: Venerable Grasshopper (Advanced): 2
Path: Hands of Light (Advanced: 2
Path: Storm Turtle (Advanced): 2
Path: Invincible Scholar (Advanced): 2
Path: Defensive Master (Advanced): 2
Extra Master Training: 1
Martial Arts x6: 8

Hot Zone:
Martial Arts x2: 4
Performing the Impossible (Martial Arts): 3
Skill Mastery: Driving: 1
Skill Mastery: Intrusion: 1

Stat Totals:

Body: 8 (Strength: 8, Constitution: 8, Toughness: 8)
Reflexes: 7 (Dexterity: 7, Agility: 7, Speed: 7)
Martial Arts: 15
Guns: 7
Focus Pool: 15

General Zink
btw, I have a friend who registered here during the Fall of last year, but never really did anything. I told her about the RPG, and she's interested. yes

She's already made up her mind about being on the Combat Path... roll eyes (sarcastic)

Captain REX
Heh, likewise, Zink.

Expect to hear from Alkaselzer (I never did get over his username... laughing out loud ) and bobcrickett about joining, Ush.

Trinity_Matrix
...those are some pretty interesting usernames...but then again, one of my friends has the username el scorcho on my board, so whatever laughing out loud And not being the only girl playing would be a nice change!

Heh, we're all going crazy about making changes...

Captain REX
I'm not going to ask... stick out tongue

Indeed we are. Alkaselzer and bobcrickett are at my house right now trying to set up theirs. Looks pretty interesting. Both want to be Naturals, Alkaselzer wants to be a Martial Arts specialist, and Bobcrickett wants to be an all-rounder. Stupid Naturalists and their bonuses and discounts...

Trinity_Matrix
Pfft...Hackers are far superior to Naturals, all they got over us is cheap paths...and what's the point of being an all-rounder if you're a Natural, anyway? laughing out loud

Captain REX
I have no friggin idea...

Bespin Bart
Suddenly Invincible Scholar looks good right now...

Trinity_Matrix
Heh...right now Crouching Monk is looking really good to me, since I'm so damn good at getting knocked Prone all of a sudden...

Captain REX
Grr...those Naturals both got Advanced Croughing Monk...

Trinity_Matrix
*shakes fist*

I wanted that...but I also wanted Iron Butterfly...

Captain REX
Oh wait, no they didn't! In fact, only one of them has it on basic! The Advanced level isn't that important anyway, unless you want to avoid going prone at all.

Darth Revan
Hey Ush... I dunno if you'll let me join mid-assignment, but I want to start playing so:

Hammurabi, hacker

Body: 8 (Strength: 10, Constitution: 10, Toughness: 8)
Guns: 13

Gun Trick: Coppertop Killer (Basic): 2
Path: Swooping Eagle (Advanced): 3
Path: Jade Emperor (Advanced): 3
Path: Sharpened Scales (Basic): 1
Path: Passive Wings (Basic): 1
Path: Lone Bamboo (Basic): 1
Path: Venerable Grasshopper (Basic): 1
Focus x11: 7 points
Spare: 0

Captain REX
Forgot your Hot Zone my good friend! As well as your Jade Emperor update. yes

Path: Jade Emperor (Master): 5

Hot Zone:
MAx3: 5 points
Gunsx2: 3 points
Performing the Impossiblex1: 1 point (MA)

tptmanno1
Burn, Hacker, played by tptmanno1

Gun Trick: Eagle Eye (Master): 6
Gun Trick: Lightning Reload (Basic): 2
Path: Clever Fox (Basic): 1
Path: Storm Turtle (Master): 6
Extra Master Training: 2
Martial Arts x2: 2
Secondary Stat Increase (Speed) x2: 4

Hot Zone:

Stat and skill totals:

Reflexes: 8 (Dexterity: 10, Agility: 8, Speed: 10)
Focus Pool: 8

Martial Arts: 11
Guns: 15
Computers +3= 9
Fix-it +2= 8
Drive +2= 12
Intrusion +2= 10
Observation +1= 7
Gunnery +2= 12

Carried equipment (bulk/weight)

Desert Eagle .50 AE 5/4 (empty)
Shotgun 9/4

14/8

How's that look?

Darth Revan
heh... Thanks Rex...

Hammurabi, Hacker

Path: Jade Emperor (Master): 5

Hot Zone:
MAx3: 5 points
Gunsx2: 3 points
Performing the Impossiblex1: 1 point (MA)

Ushgarak
Croughing Monk? Is that a disease?

Heh, anyway... I cannot recommend CM like I recommend Storm Turtle... which really IS vital all the time... but I would still HIGHLY recommend it. Without CM you can actually go around just fine most of the time- but meet a guy who specialises in prone attacks and without CM you are totally buggered! And yes, Advanced is only any good if you want to not go prone in the first place... frankly, though, that is damn handy! Being sent Prone is an arse! I note not many people attempt to use the prone tactics themselves- but interesting to see how Blocking- totally ignored when people first made characters- is now getting a lot of attention! That is play experience for you, I guess... nonetheless, I think it pays to not forget how useful the basic skills are. Do not knock yourself out trying to be too complex.

I do indeed note no-one is using Tightening Coils. That surprises me! One of its powers subtracts three exertion from you at the start of a round. That means you fast Hackers could start at -6. That gives you one HECK of an edge! Tightening Coils is very good, the only problem is if you take lots of actions in a round you tend to run out of focus. When designing the powers for this game one of the mains things we thought about was the focus/exertion relation- how much focus does the average character need in a round? How much is an extra action worth if you have nothing to power it? We have a ratio (which I think we named phi) which dictateds the basic amount a fighter needs and then based the system around that. For example, Blocking is very cheap for its effect. But it is VERY haphazard- you need to gamble focus on the idea that you will be missed. Hence, Blocking is extra effort in return for a low focus strategy.

In contrast, Sharpened Scales and Jade Emperor are very pricey. They have extreme effect, but they cannot be sustained (if anyone ever does sustain them over the course of a round we would simply re-write the system so you can not). So to use them properly you either need to be high focus, or low speed.

No-one uses the Nunchuks- and I appreciate that Path is only 50% complete- but they are actually the low focus strategy weapon. You should be able to use Nunchuk powers continuously even with low focus.

I se Iron butterfly is catching some attention as well, huh?

I am afraid joining mid-game is not practical, Hammurabi, but if you talk with other new players- including Rusky- and decide to give things a go I can design a new training mission for the new guys.

A brief glance at these new load-outs look fine. As the end of the current Assignment(s) approach, though, I may throw a few new rules in, of course.

Trinity_Matrix
No kidding being sent prone is a pain...why do you think I'm so keen to grab that path all of a sudden?

tptmanno1
Ohh, thats tempting Ush, -6 exertion...
Wow, what can I say,Empty a clip, reload and empty another one All in one turn!!!
If I get more space thats what I'm getting!

bobcrickett
Well, since I understand the system thanks to Rex, that does give a huge advantage. You could beat the crap out of everyone before they could act!

Voodoo, Natural

Focus x8 (+4 point Natural bonus): 4
Gun Trick: Both Guns Blazing (Master): 5
Gun Trick: Coppertop Killer (Advanced): 3
Gun Trick: Lightning Reload (Advanced): 3
Path: Leaping Storm (Master): 5
Path: Iron Butterfly (Advanced): 2
Path: Defiant Farmer (Advanced): 2
Path: Clever Fox (Advanced): 2
Path: Storm Turtle (Advanced): 2