games

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

yerssot
hey, does anyone got any old games of SW?
I have ESB for the nes, but I can't finish the training of Yoda; someone can help?

ToMacco
I used to have Star Wars for the NES. I made it past the atroid field after escaping the death star, but that's all the further I got. sad

yerssot
I have that on the gameboy, but I can't move the Falcon!
and can someone explain me how to finish Yodas training in the ESB?

Julie
sorry....i don't even have the games...I only have Rogue Squadron and more recent games.

mah
has anyone tried the small game 'Yoda's story'? its crap. roll eyes (sarcastic)

yerssot
hey! I think I have that one... stupid graphics...

LanceWindu
Well just look at how old it is and on what the system is. The old games all had sucky graphics.

Julie
Atari might have had rudimentary graphics but some of the games were still interesting.

yerssot
can someone help me with ESB on NES or ANH on GB?

Texas
I had ESB for NES too. I kept freezing my wampa to death on the first level evil face

yerssot
so I guess no-one has it? sad
ok, it was a very old game...

Julie
Awww the poor wampa. Ok i'm over it. Don't feel bad. In TPM game, I kept Obi wan jumping off a cliff b/c I couldn't figure out how to beat level 1.

yerssot
cliff? level one? that's not hard!

Julie
Level one was very easy after i figured out you didn't have to go down the corridor with the cliff thingy.

yerssot
are we talking about: "The Phantom Menace"?

Julie
yes... The "cliff" I'm referring to is in level one. It's really just an open shaft you can walk up to, jump off of, and splat on the floor several hundered feet below.
I finally figured out not to even go down that corridor.
The rest of the game was actually fairly easy.
(TPM game is for PC)

yerssot
I never had any problems with that...
quite easy game, but fighting with a lightsabre is extremly fun

Julie
I totally agree. I also found it fun to force push droids into walls. I haven't played that game in the longest time. I beat it about 15 times then I didn't play it again.

I really want to get Obi- wan for xbox, but I don't know how long it'll take for me to get my hands on a x-box.....there should be a lot of lightsaber action in that game wink

Ushgarak
Hmm. it was a bit shallow, and the duels were atrocious.

Jedi Knight was far better as, presumably, will be the upcoming Jedi Outcast.

Still, it's Knights of the Old Republic that I'm still waiting for...

Julie
Are you talking about Obi-wan or TPM for PC????? Obi-wan isn't even out yet...is it?

Ushgarak
TPM is what I was referring to, which was actually a Playstation game first.

Obi-Wan was originally a PC title (indeed, it had the 'Dark Forces' title (that belongs to the PC Jedi action games) that has now been given to Outcast instead) that was removed from the PC schedule on the grounds of quality control. I hope they have improved things for its X-Box release or you may be very disappointed.

Julie
Thanks, but I probably won't get it for awhile. The lightsaber fight at the end of TPM game was pretty poor, but I still have high hopes for Obi-wan.

I might get outcast...I don't know.

Ushgarak
I would recommend it, to look at it. If anything, the only criticism I can see to make of it is that it is too conventional; they are not trying anything radically new (like the 'rune' based lightsabre fighting in the PC version of Obi-Wan was going to have, where you 'traced' patterns with your kouse to perform various moves); they are merely massively updating the very ageing Jedi Knight game.

But it's being done by competent people who make great games (Raven); so while it might be a tad simplistic it should still be great.

ONE day they will have a decent sabre fighting system in a game, I am sure...

ToMacco
I think the sabre fight at the end of TPM Playstation game was fun. That son of a ***** Qui-gon doesn't get any hits in, though. You have to do it all mad

yerssot
hey, if you want a decent fight, you have to wait till we get hired by lucasarts

Ushgarak
Oh, the ones in Jedi Knight were 'fun', to a certain point. But there was very little skill invovled in it all, just a load of button pushing. Looks like Obi-Wan and Outcast will be the same. A shame.

yerssot
Jedi Knight Dark Forces II??
yeah! that was stupid! no moves, no jumping ... sad

ps, what's the difference between Dark Forces II and Dark Forces II Sith something?

Julie
I don't know. I haven't even played those games....you know all that button pushing is rough on one's hands.

Ushgarak
Well, why don't I just clear the whole thing up...

Dark Forces: Early Lucasarts first-person shooter (shortly after Doom) in which you played Mercenary Kyle Katarn, working for the Rebel Alliance shortly after ANH. Quality in many places, but criticised for being repetitive, too tough, and for not having lightsabres! No multi-player either.

Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight. Done a few years later, post-Quake, and so using a 3d engine, that was not too bad. You play Kyle Katarn again; responding to criticism, they take the welcome (though, plot-wise, rather ludicrous) step of turning him into a Jedi Knight, where he becomes the most powerful Jedi seen (from nowhere) within the space of about three days... improbable Force Powers and a wide variety of Dark Jedi prevail in this post-ROTJ game. Very silly but VERY fun. The sabre was cool but not cool enough; you never seemed as dangerous as a Jedi should be and the duels were pretty rubbish. You could also turn to the Dark Side in it, in which case you got a MUCH cooler ending. But the Dark Side fireballs took the piss.

DF II: Mysteries of the Sith. The expansion pack for Jedi Knight, having you play at first Kyle Katarn and later Mara Jade, having introduced the plot of her learning from him after Luke. You could only be good in MOTS, sadly. Good quality but, in the end, more of the same. Very Star Wars-esque ending, though.

Dark Forces: Obi-Wan- At first called Dark Forces III, they removed the 'III' tag (because it wasn't really a sequel to II), and it looked like 'Dark Forces' would become an umbrella term for all first-person shooters based on Star Wars on the PC.
Obi-Wan boasted many new and exciting features- the 'rune' based sabre fighting system, that promised simple yet skilled sabre fighting, analogue force powers (e.g.- using force push on a pot, you could push it gently so it just swayed, push it HUGELY so it flew away and shattered, or push it just enough so it fell off the window sill and onto the guards head), and of course the opporunity to play the man himself, Obi-Wan
Until Lucasarts got a new President. He took a long look at the game, and declared three things- a. it wasn't really a Dark Forces game, b. it's arcade style was more suited to consoles than PCs, and c. it was RUBBISH!
The whole PC project was canned, the Dark Forces title dropped, and the whole thing re-worked into a simpler console action game witb many of the features dropped. So we'll see how good it is soon.

Dark Forces III- Jedi Outcast. Much of the PC Star Wars playing community felt like communal suicide when Obi-Wan was pulled off the PC. The fact that it had been no good all along only made things worse. Fortunately, Lucasarts had no intention of giving up the Dark Forces tag-line- especially not while they were sales to be made.
FOllowing a new policy of contracting out their games, they asked veteran first-person shooter developers Raven to make a new game for them. This was eventually settled oin as a true sequel to DF II. Jedi Outcast has you playing Kyle again, who has given up his sabre and his force powers and become a boit of a hermit. This, of course, gives an excuse for you to start from scratch in getting your powers back, and even a more credsible reason as to why you get them so quickly- you are just remembering them. Still a bit dodgy how you got them in the first place...
Even MORE Dark Jedi abound (must be thousands if the buggers), whom you will presumably hack to death. Force powers are stil, a little over the top but apparently not quite as silly as DF II. Sadly, it seems they have made no effort to improve the sabre fighting, other than some (admittedly welcome) work on making the duels LOOK better- flips, fast storkes and all (sabre strokes were always FAR too slow in the earlier game!).

I think developing a skilled but practical sabre system is proving impossible for now. So DF III is playing it safe, so as before, it will probably be a bit silly but great fun.

yerssot
ok...

but admit, how would you make a good sabre fight? You only have two hands...

Julie
They should make and arcade game where you could use a lightsaber....

with technology these days...and the improvements to be made in the future....I'm sure we'll all get out wish of a great lightsaber fighting game some day.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.