He's a old, weak Toydarian?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

theEviljedi
Awhile back on tv someone said that Watto was to be old,poor,and weak.They also said his wings would not work.I hope this is true because it would show the tramatic fall he had after losing the races and Anakin.

Dim
That could be interesting..Make us end up feeling a little sorry for him..cool!

Darth Daft
Yes I think that would be a good way to show how he's progressed through the decade.
Also, did you notice that he has stubble in TPM? Perhaps he will have a whole beard in Ep2.

Ratcat
Apparently, on a show in the US profiling ILM or Lucas or something their was an interview with an ILMer and running on the screen was a wireframe animation of Watto walking. It was never referred to in the interview and quite possibly had been left playing by accident.

TFN reported on it a few months back.

Darth Daft
Cool. I wonder how much he'll be in the film. Probably only for a short time I guess.

Ratcat
Last we heard Shmi belonged to Watto so there may well be a cool scene with Anakin confronting Watto to free his mother.

A bit of role reversal with Anakin in control and Watto weak and unabvle to do anything but comply. We know he won't be able to use a Jedi Mind trick on hjim so it will have to be money, bargianing or violence to solve this one.

Darth Daft
Personally I think Watto will have lost Shmi to someone else, as he seems like the sort of person to do that. With all the gambling that he does it would be surprising if he kept her throughout the 10 year period between Ep1 and Ep2.

Ratcat
True, though I thought that Anakin had been owned by Watto since he was three years old so he had held onto him for 6 years.

I still think Anakin will visit him as it will be the last place he will have known his mother to be if he hasn't had contact for 10 years. It may be that the screen time is short if Watto just points him in a different direction, to Jabba maybe. smile

That would make an interesting link up if Jabba owned Shmi and Anakin then tries to rescue her. Perhaps that is how she could die in a confrontation between Anakin and Jabba in which Anakin fails as he doesn't want to use the "Dark Side"

Darth Daft
I think that if Anakin has to save Shmi from Jabba then it would be too similar to Luke saving Han in ROTJ.

I do agree that we will probably see Watto though. Just maybe not owning Shmi anymore.

Ratcat
Actually DD, I was more thinking that he would fail and Shmi would die. The loss of his mother could be quite shattering.

I've heard in rumours at TFN that Padme will be kidnapped. That could compand his feelings of failure leaving hin ripe for recruitment by Palpatine.

theEviljedi
Actually Pernellia said she would be in Epi.III for a breif amount of screen time.

Darth Daft
Yes that's true. I wonder what she'll actually do after being freed. Will she stay on Coruscant with Anakin or seek a new home on a different planet?

theEviljedi
I beleave she will go with Anakin to Naboo and go to the wedding.That's all really.

Darth Daft
Yeah. I guess she'd have to attend that as long as she has the chance to. I wonder how she'll die. I reckon Palpatine will kill her and trick Anakin into thinking that Obi-Wan done it. Or at least something along those lines.

Ratcat
Actually Pernilla said she had filmed scenes for both II & III however this was dismissed by many as a mistake on her part.

As she would not have seen a complete scripts she probably would have no idea where her bit's fitted into the storyline anyway. To clarify, I understand that part of the security around the film meant that even the principles (Ewan, Hayden, Natalie, etc) only saw the bits that they were in and only a short while before they filmed them.

Darth Daft
I actually heard Rick MacCallum say that Shmi would appear in Episode 3. I think thats good enough. Dont think he would lie.

theEviljedi
As do I.

Darth Daft
Well actually lie wasn't a good word to use. I don't think he would say that unless he was certain. So we can presume that Shmi is DEFINATELY going to be in Episode 3. Besides, thats the episode where most of the tragedy occurs.

Ratcat
Like I said, her statement was dismissed as incorrect widely.

However, if they are planning for her apperance in Episode-III, it may be that they have filmed sone "stock footage" just in case something happens to her in the in between while.

This would similar to the voice work that James earl Jones has done I would imagine. As long as the actor survives then it would not be used, but it gives GLK contingency in the event that the actor passes away.

theEviljedi
Why does everyone think James Earl Jones may die before Epi.III?He is only like 65 and he is very healthy.

Darth Daft
He looks a bit fat to me. What about John Williams? He's getting on a bit. Who do you think they'd get to do the music if he died?

Ratcat
I don't think anyone really thinks JEJ will die but you can't blame Lucas for being cautious can you? I mean that voice is so distinctive that it would be hard to replace.

Darth Daft
Yeah I know what you mean. He hardly even has to put it on, as in other footage I've seen him in he speaks exactly the same. I don't know of any other actors who speak like that, although I'm sure there are some out there in the world.

Ratcat
I'm sure if they could CNN would have snapped them up, it would save them a fortune.

Darth Daft
Sorry for asking, but what's CNN? I thought it was the main American news programme or something. Or am I getting muddled up with some other abbreviation? Oh shut up, DD.

theEviljedi
I heard once that a little kid called ATT or something like that and when he called he heard Jones' voice and screamed thinking that he was talking to Darth Vader.laughing out loud

Ratcat
Nope DD, you dead right. James Earl Jones provides the main "This is CNN" that starts every main bulletin period on CNN. It's very distinctive. That's why he bacame known as "The voice of CNN." Not because he read news but just for that small soundbite.

If you Sky, watch CNN, its about channel 509 or something, and you'll hear it within 30 minutes.

Darth Daft
Ah I see, thanx RC. I do indeed have sky digital so I'll have to watch it. Just out of a matter of interest, has anyone here played the Command and Conquer strategy games? JEJ stars in them as the leader of the good guys. He sounds almost exactly the same as he does in SW.

theEviljedi
That's because it's his normal voice.I wish I had a voice as powerful as his.

Ratcat
That's right, they just ran it through a bit to give it that "inside a mask" feel but basically it is all James Earl Jones.

What I love is the way Vader talks without have to breeve. His resperator just carries on under his voice.

Darth Daft
Yes I noticed that too. Is that just a mistake to do with the adition of sound effects or is it meant to be like that?

theEviljedi
I heard a joke some where that said this after Luke unmasked his father-"Father,I was expecting you to be a large black man."And Daft,it was meant to be like that to show that Vader could not breath without his mask.

Darth Daft
Ah I see. Speaking of unmasking Vader, don't you find it annoying how Sebastian Shaw's voice sounds nothing like James Earl Jones? I mean I know the mask is meant to make a difference, but still the accents were not the same and Shaws voice is not as low as Jones.

Ratcat
Yeah, the could have easily dubbed it over with JEJs voice. Dubbing technology was sufficient even back then. I mean, look at Milli Vanilli!!!

Darth Daft
Sorry for asking, but who the hell is he? Ice-cream guy?

Ratcat
You may have been a little young to remember but in the mid 80's there was a group called Milli Vanilli (not suree on the spelling). Anyway they had a string of hits, had some number ones in the UK, US and across Europe and even won a Grammy.
Eventually it turned out that the whole time they had been miming and had never sung a word. Their manager had, according to them, forced them to do it. They gave back their Grammy and, after releasing a song or two in their own voices, disappeared. It was quite sad really because they actually could sing.
In the end one of the two committed suicide are many years of being a manic depressive. sad
MTV sometimes feature them and the whole fiasco when they do 1980's retrospectives.

Darth Daft
Oh right, I see. Thanx Ratcat. Weren't there once rumours that the Spice Girls do that to?

Ratcat
At the very beginning but I think they've since proven themselves admirably.

Hey, what can I say apart from Zig-a-zig-Ahhhhhhh.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.