"i was once a jedi knight..."

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

bigsef2
Im home sick so I'm watching the OT. In the scene where Ben gives Luke Anakins lightsaber, he says that he was ONCE a jedi knight like Anakin. Why does Obi-wan no longer consider himself a jedi knight? could he do something in Episode II or III that gets him kicked out of the order? Perhaps by failing to kill Anakin when he has the chance?

yerssot
what I think about it is that OB1 couldn't take that he killed Anakin so he left, but after that he saw that Anakin became Vader (in Ep V that is)

Ushgarak
Also bear in mind that the Jedi, as an organisation, no longer exist. Luke is the first of the new wave, but at the time of ANH there are no technical 'Jedi Knights' as such.

Literally speaking he is one, though.

bigsef2
I was thinking something along those lines, as well. It occurred to me, though, that Obi-wan is also referred to as GENERAL Kenobi in ANH. According to Qui-gon, the Jedi don't get involved in Wars, atleast not in fighting them: "I can protect you, i cant fight a war for you." Perhaps Obiwan saw the need to take a more active role in the Clone Wars, and so the Jedi Council expelled him from their ranks. That seems far-fetched, but GL has said that after seeing the prequels, we will look on the characters in the original trilogy's in a different light.

Ushgarak
Qui-Gon's comment was actually a literal one; he was saying that powerful as he was, he couldn;t actually win the war for Amidala single-handedly.

Jedi would get invovled in wars if ordered, in the name of the defence of the Republic. That's part of their point.

From what we see and hear, it is pretty certain that Obi-Wan- every inch still a Knight- is made General during the Clone Wars.

yerssot
That's something that disturped me when I saw ANH for the first time.
My guess is that he is both...

bigsef2
I dont think well see it though. Episode III will likely start with some great battle scene (like Hoth in ESB) where Obi-wan is already a general leading Clones into battle, probably defending Couruscant or Naboo against some army of Droids. Or is it the other way around? Do the clones turn into the enemy in Episode III?

Ushgarak
No-one really knows. The whole 'Clone' deal is a big mystery. It's certainly not panning out as expected.

bigsef2
my understanding right now is that Palpatine gets Dooku create the battle droids and fake this whole separation from the republic to aid in his rise to power. Palpatine gets the senate to approve a clone army, under the guise of the republic needing and army to fight battledroids, which have already been shown to have major flaws. The clones prove successful at the end of AOTC. The clones defeat the droids and now Palpatine has an army of clones to do use to his ends. They become the forerunners to storm troopers and the enemy of well, everyone opposed to the empire.

Ushgarak
Yes, that's the broad brush of it, but there are vast enormous gaps as far as working out an overall storyline is concerned.

bigsef2
i just hope lucas gets outside help writing Episode III.

yerssot
he always get's outside help, I think

Julie
Why do u think that?

Ushgarak
GL had help writing all the scripts so far except for The Phantom Menance. The help on A NEw Hope was small, but telling.

He does this because, as he freely admits, he cannot write; it just isn't his thing. He doesn't enjoy it, he doesn't want to do it. What he can do is imagine- places, people, even stories, broadly. But writing details? Less so. He only does it at all because it's necessary in many ways.

And he can also direct, of course!

Anyway, many thought TPM suffered because no-one else helped him write it. He IS being helped for AOTC.

Julie
Ah so then AOTC should have a great script as well as specila effects and other eye candy?

Ushgarak
Some sharper dialogue would be nice, certainly. And the trailers look promising.

Julie
quite...humor and anger and passion...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.