Movie to TV

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Lord Soth
A lot of movies have been converted to TV shows. And sometimes the show is so good everyone forgot the movie ever existed. And example of this is Buffy the Vampire Slayer

another Movie to TV-The Dead Zone (this was Book to Movie to TV, but oh well big grin)

There's also plans for NBC to convert the upcoming movie Van Helsing to a TV show

What do you all think of this concept?

LanceWindu
Van Helsing on TV is going to be called Transylvania.

And it hasn't even been released in theaters yet has it? How do they know it's going to be a big enough hit to have interest on TV?

G.P
The movie Buffy, the vampire slayer was nothing compared to the show. So I think when it is well done, it is always a good idea, for the series' format allows greater developments of the story,...
Another example of this is Twin Peaks.

Lord Soth
Who knows. They're doing it anyway big grin

LanceWindu
I'm going to be laughing my head off when the show burns to the ground from suckiness.

Which will just prove that Jumping The Shark can happen to any show, no matter if you have a movie backing it or not.

wicker_man
With the exception of Buffy The Vampire Slayer and Stargate SG: 1, all other movie to tv conversions i've seen have been quite poor i.e. Poltergeist : The Legacy, Police Academy : The Series, Mortal Kombat : The Series and Total Recall 2050 to name but a few poor conversions.

LanceWindu
Yeah those all sucked.

Mortal Kombat was OK, but nothing more than that.

And how about a reverse on this? TV to Movie? Those suck as well.

wicker_man
Most TV to Film conversions are made a considerable amount of time after the show in question has ended and very rarely stars its original coast members (i.e. The Avengers, The Hulk, The Saint, Mission Impossible, Planet of the Apes, Sgt Bilko, Lost In Space, Starsky and Hutch, The Addams Family, Bigfoot and the Hendersons & The Munsters) the majority of which were pretty poor in comparison to their tv counterparts (Mission Impossible and The Addams Family the main exceptions), although the Monty Python and Bless This House film conversations were pretty good in my opinion also.

LanceWindu
If the movies don't come out a long time afterwards, and come out when the show is still on the air, that means the TV show is about to be through.

IE: Lizzie McGuire, The Even Stevens Movie, The Famous Jett Jackson Movie, and more.

wicker_man
Not really a fan of those shows to be honest the only two shows that are similar to your aforementioned ones that i really like are Bless This House and The Monty Python films

The Unknown
I liked Mortal Combat: Conquest, but I guess that's more based on the video game.

Tekno Boy
The film Sky High has opened the door to a possible TV series.

T.M
I hear Blade is going to be made into a TV series to.

jaden101
no mention of stargate...strange

forumcrew
star wars has both a live action show coming out, and an extension to the clone wars animated series.

ladygrim
sad its just wrong sad

Solo
Originally posted by G.P
The movie Buffy, the vampire slayer was nothing compared to the show. So I think when it is well done, it is always a good idea, for the series' format allows greater developments of the story,...
Another example of this is Twin Peaks.
Twin Peaks was a television series before it became a film.

Tekno Boy
Originally posted by jaden101
no mention of stargate...strange

Well if no one else has mentioned it, why don't you?

jaden101
Originally posted by Tekno Boy
Well if no one else has mentioned it, why don't you?

you do it...you mention stargate...go on...mention stargate seeing as no-one has mentioned stargate yet cause stargate is a good movie to tv programme...i just hope someone mentions stargate cause no-one has mentioned stargate yet and stargate is brill, stargate is

roll eyes (sarcastic)

Tekno Boy
I don't watch stargate. You like it so much, you talk about it. Come on, don't be shy. roll eyes (sarcastic)

T.M
Has anyone mentioned Stargate yet ? stick out tongue

jaden101
Originally posted by Tekno Boy
I don't watch stargate. You like it so much, you talk about it. Come on, don't be shy. roll eyes (sarcastic)

"daddy...i'm scared...too scared to even wet my pants"

http://vcard.homer-simpson.de/images/flash/ralph.png

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.