That line, "I must obey....."

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ratcat
What if Anakins slave chip was never removed from his body and Palpatine found out and reactivated it. That would put a different spin on that whole line.

"I must obey my master or he will blow the back of my skull out..."

(Assuming the chip is in the skull, which it may not be.)

NOTE: I transposed this from a reply I made to another topic.

Darth Daft
But if the Jedi couldn't find the chip throughout the 10 year period between EP1 and 2 then how would Palpatine know it was there?

theEviljedi
They had no need to.They probally didn't even know he was a slave.Knowing had strong in the force Palpatine was I would think that he would search for a flaw in Anakin and explot it.

Ratcat
We don't know how the chip works or is constructed. It could be designed in such a way that it can not be removed without killing the person.

I'm sure that they would be able to find it on a world with full medical facilities. Tatopoine wasn't exactly a technilogical world

theEviljedi
Well said RC.

Darth Daft
I guess its posibility that the chip will be mentioned, but I think Lucas just put it in there as an excuse so that Anakin couldn't just run away with the Jedi. When the OT was being made Lucas wouldn't have thought about the chip, so that line "I must obey my master" is probably irrelevent.

theEviljedi
But he might of being that he made the complete story many years ago.Though it may have changed a lot since then.

Darth Daft
He made the story, but the fact that the chip was in Anakin is going to far. He would have only had the basic storyline that Anakin is a slave and is seperated from his mother at a young age so that he can become a Jedi.

theEviljedi
That's not going to far at all.He may have had it very detailed.

Darth Daft
No. He wouldn't have even have gone as detailed as Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan going on the journey together, as in the first draft of TPM there was just Obi-Wan on his own. That shows that he didn't go much into detail. Just basics.

theEviljedi
Maybe not with that example but with many others.

Darth Daft
No I still don't believe that all that time back in 81 or 82 when the script for ROTJ was being made he would have already decided that in TPM Anakin would have a slave chip.

theEviljedi
Why not?For all we know he could have had Luke and Leia be family all along.

Darth Daft
I thought he did. That is a main plotpoint so even back in 1977 he probably planned for them to be twins as it is a major plot twist. The slave chip is not.

Dim
True..I don't remember anyone mentioning that it's in the backstory before.

Xantos Clone
Dim, as you know...I do support the idea of the slave chip being a possible factor in the prequals...I kind of think vader was blaming the darkside for that line "I must obey my master"

"you don't know the power of the darkside....I must obey my master"

It's like the darkside is harder to revert from...it may be easier to be seduced by the darkside, but almost impossible to go back...yoda believed it was impossible...

"once you start down the darkpath...forever will it domimate you destiny"

Ratcat
I agree with what DD is saying about not having though about it when he made trhe OT, but I can't see any reason why that idea could not be incorporated in now, there's nothing in the OT that would be affected by it is there. Just our perceptions.

Dim
Actually I think it would be nice if Anakin's chip played into his obiedence...it would help to tie the trilogies together...IMHO.

Gundark
I agree with Dim. The chip would have some role in Vader's kneeling at Palpatine's feet all the time, cause I don't think Vader is a bootlicker.

Darth Daft
Any of us could be right here as there's not much ways our points could affect the OT. But still I don't believe the chip is meant to be an important factor. I think George just added it in as he was trying make sure the fans wouldn't think, "Why doesn't Qui-Gon just take Anakin to the ship and escape from Watto instead of getting him involved in a risky podrace bet?"

Gundark
Good point, DD. A slave chip doesn't require a lot of explanation...it would be normal for slaves in the star wars universe to have some kind of mark or implant, along the lines of a droid's restraining bolt.

Darth Daft
Yes good point, the chip is indeed practically a human version of the Droid restraining bolt, except it can't hold a human in place, so it is used to kill the person if they try to escape. But I just wondered, if a slave did escape the slave master may not want to activate the bomb, as he/she would be worried that they are wasting a valuable slave instead of going out to try and capture it. If a slave escaped I reckon most slave masters would go and try to get the slave back rather than activate the chip.

Ratcat
Yes, it's definately a deterant more than anything else. But what if a slave displeased a master so much that they press the button. That's definately a motivator in that respect.

Darth Daft
I think if the slave master has more than one slave then he/she may use it on one of them to scare the others and encourage them not to try anything silly (like escaping).
Otherwise, I doubt a slave master would press the button unless the slave had become worthless, disrespectful, disobedient, troublesome and had tried to escape more than once. Slaves are very expensive, remember, so only rich people or people who are desperate to get rid of the slave but can't sell it, would activate the chip.

theEviljedi
There is a problem to this theory though sad .If it was the chip that controlled Anakin's actions than it would have to be the chip that caused his downfall.Don't you think that would defeat the whole purpose of Anakin's fall and rise?

Darth Daft

theEviljedi
Or maybe a little bit of it all.

Darth Daft
Yes, you're quite. All of them will play a major role in Anakin's life as a Jedi, so it is probably all these bad things going on around him (Shmi dying, Obi-Wan not trusting him, etc) that make him choose an easier life down the Dark Side.

Ratcat
The death od Shmi appears to now have become a great focal point.

Aldera.net have posted their latest plot spec which sees Shmi brutally attached by Tusken Raiders and then dieing in the arms of Anakin.

That's sure gonna ruin his day.....

Darth Daft
I'm not really happy about the Tusken Raiders appearing again. It wouldn't bother me if it was just a short bit like in the TPM podrace, but according to theforce.net there will be whole families of them and one of them may be a Jedi hopeful. It seems we may delve deeper into the tales of the Tusken Raiders, but I would rather they stay silent and mysterious. Still, it would be cool if we saw one without its mask on.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.