Dark Journey

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Julie
What are your thoughts on the next book in the NJO series?

Will it be a good book? Will you read it? What did you think of the cover art?

yerssot
I won't get the chance so I'll just read this thread...

Julie
*gasp*

You won't get the chance to what??????

You mean you won't read the book....AHHHH say it ain't so.

yerssot
if it gets ever here, I will

LanceWindu
Yes, it will be a good book just like the rest of the NJO series.
Yes, I will read it.
And I don't think that I have seen the book art. Is there a link that somebody can send to me?

Julie
Here is the link to see the cover art for Dark Journey:

www.elainecunningham.com/dark_journey.htm

As I mentioned before, it looks like a good book. (SBS was great too...I especially liked the length of it.)

JediOasis
I'll read Dark Journey even though I was very disappointed with Star by Star. The "big event" was stupid and should not have happened. But it should be interesting to see how far to the darkside Jaina goes.

LanceWindu
Ok I've checked out the cover art for Dark Journey. It looks good. Just one question is that supposed to be Jaina on the cover?

Julie
I believe so...yes.

It's not like my mental picture of her, but o well....I'm not the artist.

I also want to know how far down the dark path she will go....but I guess we have to wait a little bit.....about 5 weeks

JediOasis
To me Jaina looks a lot like Natalie Portman, which makes sense. And as far as her darkside usage goes, I imagine she'll do some bad things but not become a full blown Sith, then Jacen will bring her back when they are brought before Shimmra.

Julie
Good thought ...and I'm inclined to agree with you. The love between the twins may just be Jaina's savior.

She does look a bit like Natalie Portman ......very very pretty. On the cover of Dark Journey she has a tired, worn, yet determined look to her........

LanceWindu
Jaina has a dark, evil look in her face on the cover of Dark Journey.

JediOasis
The thing that interests me the most about the DJ cover are the Tie fighters.

Julie
hmmm.......we'll just have to wait for awhile. Tie fighters?
Hey isn't that Jag fel guy working with the chiss ...they might have ties

LanceWindu
To me Jaina looks like Jennifer Love Hewitt.

Julie
Gee...I thought she looked like Jaina big grin ....seriously though....I don't have a mental picture of Jenifer Love Hewitt to compare the picture to.

LanceWindu
You can't remember her face?

Julie
correct.........

LanceWindu
I could try a find a picture for you.

LanceWindu
http://hewittjenniferlove.com/images/thumb0011.jpg

Here is a picture I found.

LanceWindu
Do you recognize her now?

Julie
Nope, but I do see what your saying about the resemblance.
I just hope the book itself is good. Have you read the exerpt in SW Gamer? I didn't really care too much for it, but I have high hopes for the rest of the story!!!!!

LanceWindu
No, I don't get the SW Gamer mags. The only time I read them is if I'm at the store and read them while my mom does her shopping.

Julie
I'd suggest that you read the Rogue Apprentice exerpt but by that time the book'll probably be out smile .....SW Insider is a much better mag if you are going to buy one or the other get Insider!!!!

LanceWindu
I found this over at TF.N. It is someone's review of the Dark Journey paperback book.
The young Jedi are seen right where they were when Star By Star left off. Vong priest, and Kahlee Lah, Tsavong Lah's son, are pursuing them. The Jedi make a hyperspace jump to Coruscant where they run into the fight between the Republic and the Yuuzhan Vong. Leia senses Jaina's presence, but also senses that she's gone over to the dark side. Kyp Durron gets his entire squadron killed and joins the Falcon when they make the hyperspace jump to Hapes.

The Jedi also make the jump to Hapes and when they get there, they deliver Anakin's body to Leia. Leia and the young Jedi all sense Jacen's death through the Force, but Leia refuses to believe that he's actually dead. Ta'a Chume decides that her son Isolder needs a new wife and that it should be Jaina. Jagged Fel of the Chiss comes to Hapes as well with his squadron to help the Republic fight the Vong. He flirts with Jaina at a state dinner at the Hapan palace. Jaina tries to avoid Anakin's funeral, but Kyp forces her to attend. The funeral is morbid, but they burn Anakin with dignity and then Jaina announces that she will now be Kyp's apprentice. Her family disapproves, but they can't stop her.

Jaina and Lowbacca figure out how to send the Vong misinformation using their stolen Vong ship - they realize that the yammosks trace the Vong ships through their gravity signatures and change the gravity signatures of several ships to make the Vong think they are somewhere else. Jaina finds herself constantly fighting with Jag and finally figures out that she's in love with him, but is afraid that he doesn't feel the same way.

Ta'a Chume assassinate's Tenenial Djo (Tenel Ka's mother) and confronts Jaina about her plans to make her the new queen. Jaina refuses and Tenel Ka finally decides to do her duty and become the new queen of Hapes. With the help of Kyp, Jaina finally realizes that she must turn away from the dark side and begins her journey back to the light. Kahlee Lah kills himself for his failure to capture Jaina.

The book was annoyingly mushy at some points and it focused almost entirely on Jaina - Jacen is not even in it. Obviously, Jacen is not really dead and he and Jaina will have some cataclysmic battle in the next book. Luke and Mara have about 3 lines each and Han and Leia have about 10 pages worth of dialogue. The book really focuses on Jaina, Kyp, and Jag.

Julie
Hmmm. Most of that sounds accurate, but I'm not sure. Some of the points don't line up with the excerpts I've read. If that's the way it goes ok, but I don't understand the whole feeling Jacen's death thing and the Vong obsession with sacrificing the twins together thing.

LanceWindu
Yeah, that is true.

Julie
The excerpts are dark, but not quite that dark!!! wink

LanceWindu
Well I don't need excerpts now, I just bought it. Plus 3 other NJO books that I haven't had a chance to read yet.

Julie
How did you buy it already?????

I thought it didn't come out until Feb 1st or Jan 30?

I can't wait....ahhhhh.

LanceWindu
I thought it came out later too. But I was walking through Walden Books and BAMM! There it was. So I was like "what they hey." So I shelled out the $6.99 to buy it.

Julie
Cool cool

I bought mine yesterday. I'll write a review as soon as I get a chance to read it. I can't wait to here what others have to say about it. The cover is kinda girlie...but that's ok Elaine Cunningham promised that we won't get a romance novel.

NJO goes on......

LanceWindu
Alright, I finished my copy yesterday. I thought that it was a great book, but I don't like how we didn't get to see anything about Jacen though.

Julie
I agree. Here is my promised personal review... Dark Journey was quite dark, but it contained many small spots of humor. The advancement of the New Republic's technology was intriguing. I liked the book, but being the dutiful serial book it was, DJ left me hanging.
I intensely dislike Kyp Durron. There was too much of him in this book. I dislike the fact that at the end, Jaina is still his apprentice. I have high hopes that it won't last long in Rebel Dream, but it irks me all the same.
Jag Fel is an interesting character. He will most likely be in following NJO books.
The murder of Tenel Ka's mother was sad. I was glad to see that she was able to pick up her mother's crown. I'm also glad that Price Isholder didn't hesitate to give the crown to his daughter. Though a reluctant queen, she knows her duty..... Hapes will go on strong. I doubt Tenel Ka will remain the queen of Hapes; she is a jedi and they are too valuable. At least, Hapes was saved temporarily and the Yuuzhan Vong were in a rare retreat.
The lack of Jacen Solo in this book was disconcerting. I wish we could have seen something of him. Despite the last sentence of Dark Journey, I trust Leia's judgment as to Jacen's fate. Besides, I believe that, even in her chaotic state of mind, Jaina would feel her brother's death. The intense pain she feels is channeled through the other young jedi....not her own feeling. I believe we'll see more of the philosophical young jedi in the future. The deliberate exclusion of him from Dark Journey must mean something....
Anakin Solo is dead. That much is fairly certain now that they had a funeral, but we'll see more of his young love, Tahiri. I wonder about this plot twist in the series....Anakin is an unusual choice for the authors to pick....or he's the most logical.
Jaina's walk on the dark side was interesting. I think Kyp's a bad influence on her. I firmly believe she'll find "her way home" and emerge as a better leader in the future.
The lack of a time lapse was an interesting change....I don't care one way or the other what future books do, but I think Rebel Dream will have a time gap.
It was intriguing that some of the Yuuzhan Vong were thinking blasphemous thoughts. Harrar began to equate Jaina with the godess Yun-Harla, which is heresy.
We can only wait until Rebel dream comes out......... wink

LanceWindu
I can't wait either.

What you said about Kyp being in this book too much, I liked the fact that we got to see more of him. Did you also notice that he was trying to talk Jaina out of things. It shows that he isn't much of a bad guy but more like a misunderstood kinda guy.

Julie
Personally I felt like it was like Jaina was giving Kyp a taste of his own medicine and he didn't like it smile That part I did like evil face

And now the countdown til the next book begins.........
*sigh*
I am forever waiting on something...

Volundro Ramm
I heard that the contenuaty in DJ wasn't up to scratch. Personally i like Kyp and am glad to here he's more involved in DJ. Still i'm disapointed to hear its still all about the Jedi. I' getting bored of them, especially in star by star. Bring on the bounty hunters, bring back Fett, Bring back Kenix Kil!!!!

LanceWindu
The Bounty Hunters would add more to the story, but who wold they fight for? The Yuuzahn Vong or the New Republic?

Volundro Ramm
EASY..... THE NEW REPUBLIC. REASON: THE VONG AIN'T GOT NO MONEY!

LanceWindu
True, but then the Vong could offer to give them any money that they find after they completely wipe out the universe.

Volundro Ramm
CAN'T SEE THAT HAPPENING. THE VONG AIN'T GOT NO LOVE FOR ANYTHING BUT THERE OWN. ANYWAY IM CURRENTLY IN PREPRODUCTION OF WRITING MY OWN NOVEL. AS IT DOESNT LOOK LIKE ANY OF THESE AUTHORS ARE GONNA INCLUDE THE BOUNTY HUNTERS IN THE FIGHT AGAINST THE VONG. BASICALLY INVOLVES A GROUP OF B.HUNTERS THAT GET BETRAYED BY THE VONG. BUT I CAN'T REALLY SAY MORE THAN THAT.

LanceWindu
When you finish the first draft send it to me at [email protected] I can help you with some extra touches.

Volundro Ramm
IT MAY BE A WHILE..IVE BEEN JUGGLING IDEAS AROUND WITH A FRIEND SINCE BALANCE POINT CAME OUT. IM LOOKING FOR IT TO BE AROUND 400 PAGES(ROUGHLY). PROBLEM IS, WITH EPII HAVING BOBA FETT IN IT IM GONNA HAVE TO WAIT TO SEE THE FILM(OR READ THE NOVEL), TO FIND OUT MORE ABOUT HIS CHARACTER. SO FAR IVE READ EVERYTHING POSSIBLE ON HIM BUT REALLY NEED TO KNOW ABOUT HIS BACKGROUND.

LanceWindu
Damn that is a long novel. Are you going to have it published?

Volundro Ramm
DONT KNOW.. HOPEFULLY. IF ANY PUBLISHERS WANT TO PUBLISH IT. STILL I IT DOES I HAS TO BE THROUGH LUCASBOOKS.

LanceWindu
Yeah, it could also just be in the e-book stage too. Then you can still get money for it and it doesn't neceisarilly contradict the series of books.

Julie
Good Luck.....

hmmm somebody's obsessed with the bounty hunters wink

BTW would a bounty hunter ever be spineless enough to fight w/ the Vong in exchange for their life?????.......I mean that's a pretty prescious thing

As you write your novel, make sure it fits with the other stuff in the Star Wars universe....maybe your wish will come true....hey ya never know smile

LanceWindu
During my absence from KMC I started to write a novel. In two days all I came up with was 10 pages. It's about my RP character's life.

Julie
I don't even know how to RP....but I did write a small short story about Jaina and Jacen and Anakin as little kids.

I've also written a few other short stories that have absolutely nothing in common with star wars except that they're sci- fi.

I know what you mean when it can get long real quick........one part of my story is 47 pages....and I haven't even gotten to the main part yet!!!!!!!!....so much for short story wink

Good luck.......if you feel like it....send me a chapter or 2 of your story...at least tell me who's the main character.

LanceWindu
It's Lance WIndu of course. I'm only on chapter 1 right now. I don't even know if I'm gonna finish the story.

Julie
hmmm....Lance windu....where have I heard that name before?
Chapter one is usually a good place to start. Stick with it....you'll thank yourself later.

LanceWindu
I've got the prolouge done and about half of what I want for chapter 1. It kinda sucks because I don't realy have a big mind when it comes to literature writing.

Julie
Practice makes perfect...or so they say.

Like I said, keep at it. Write and Rewrite....someday you'll like it.

....or just let the people who get paid to do so handle the writing and just enjoy the fruits of their labor....like NJO smile

LanceWindu
Yeah, I guess I'm not just a writer. Just give me my NJO and I'll be happy! big grin

Julie
*hands NJO to Lance*
Here you go.....stick to reading and enjoy!!!! smile

March 26th is the day to wait for.............sigh

LanceWindu
Hey look at that I got the NJO for my b-day!

Julie
Here a link for an interesting interview with Elaine Cunningham: I don't know what I'm doing so hopefully one of the works!
www.theforce.net/jedicouncil/interview/cunningham.shtml

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.