Episode III Title

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

bigsef2
This is looking WAAAAAY ahead, but I was thinking about possible titles for Episode III. Assuming GL follows a similar pattern as with the previous films, and also assuming he won't use any of the same words in the other Star Wars movie titles (with the exception of words like "and," "the," etc.) I think "Star Wars: Episode III-Revenge of the Sith" is a very viable title.

ToMacco
Gotta see how II ends, first.

Julie
Patience is a virtue....your title is probable yet unlikely.

Anyone wanna help me explain this???

ToMacco
Revenge of the Sith sounds too much like Return of the Jedi.

All of the titles sofar havn't really reflected the movies sofar:
A New Hope: Luke and Leia, but it never really says that they will save the universe
Empire Strikes Back: it does, but it's more about Vader and Luke and Han and Leai
Return of the Jedi: A jedi does return, but it's about the fall of the empire
The Phantom Menace: Palpatine being Sidious and reeking havoc in the shadows, but it's more about finding Anakin.

Julie
Good observations....Return of the Jedi was originally titled....Revenge of the Jedi....I think.

ToMacco
yeah it was

Julie
Oh good...I haven't lost all my marbles yet.

anyway Revenge of the Sith would be kind awkward as a title

bigsef2
the similarities b/w revenge of the sith and return of the jedi are EXACTLY the reason i think it is a possible title. we dont need to see how Episode II ends, because we already know. We also know essentially what the plot of Episode III must be.

Look at the similarities so far:

A New Hope/The Phantom Menace. Both simple, three word titles to start of the trilogies. Neither Title really reveals too much about the plot, but are titles that merely set the tone for the upcoming movies. Phantom Menace is negative, b/c the mood of the upcoming trilogy is negative. A New hope is positive, because in general, the series ends very positively.

The Empire Strikes Back/Attack of the Clones. Both 4-word titles. Both Titles denote specific actions, and in simple terms, describe a grand conflict. They also both carry the idea of a real, and verifiable threat.

Return of the Jedi/??????? Ok, i will first start off by saying that Return of the Jedi was rumored to be originally titled REVENGE of the jedi. But for obvious reasons, it changed to return. We also have the term Jedi in the title. What better way to contrast the two films, which wrap up their separate trilogies. And in order for EPIV/A New Hope to be a sensible title, EPIII, must have a very negative one. Revenge contrasts Return. Sith contrasts Jedi. I promise you, in one way or another Sith WILL be in the title for episode III. The whole trilogy is about them.

Julie
All very good evidence, but does SW have to be contained by it's titles?

Maybe we're looking for something that isn't there.

I have your word on that promise????
Even if Sith is in there....it doesn't have to be at the end of the title....though it makes more sense that way.

bigsef2
you also have the ATR thing, with i fogot to mention. the titles for the OT started with A, T, and R, respectively. for the PT, so far we have, T, and A, so the following movie will likely start with R. It also has to be campy. and what could be campier than revenge of the sith? Ush, yess, dim, what do you think?

ToMacco
I hear what you're saying, and I don't even think you are wrong.

But in order for "Revenge of the Sith" to be a workable title, something will have to happen to the sith in Episode II, so it is revenge they are seeking.

I think the title for episode III will indicate that it is the end. The Republic is falling, the Jedi are dying. It's the end of an era. There is no hope( until A New Hope). It's the last chapter in the dark trillogy.

Maybe Episode III: The Last Stand, or something like that. It will tell viewers that everyone beleived the sith had won, and it was all over.

yerssot
impressive this all is! first thing I hear about it
but I have to agree, why revange? Dooku is alive, Sidi is alive...

Perhaps Restrike of the Sith?
(Althoug the word Sith is hardly used in the movies, only Ki-Adi and Mace use it! There is no mention of Sith in the OT)

bigsef2
i was thinking REVENGE because the Jedi annihilated the sith millenia before. Sidious is getting revenge for that, by annihilating the Jedi. It was hinted at in Episode I (Darth Mauls only lines: "at last we have revealed ourselves to the Jedi, at last we will have revenge), and I beleive it will be describle a LITTLE bit more in Episodes II and III. Possibly when Sidious turns Anakin hell say stuff: "the Sith once ruled the galaxy..." or something along those lines. And while the term "sith" isnt used all that much in TPM, you must remember that the term jedi wasnt really used all that much in ANH either.

I think "the last stand" or something like that might be a good title to describe the events of Episode III, but its just not campy enough for Lucas. Its too "serious" of a title.

yerssot
Revange and keep it till EpIII? don't think so...

MasterSkywalker
it will be The Rise of The Empire.

yerssot
if you read it all, you would know Empire couldn't be used...

MasterSkywalker
maybe
Fall of The Jedi
or

Shadow Falls

yerssot
perhaps has to start with a "R"

Ushgarak
I think everyone is thinkig too conventional. I think we should be looking at more 'Flash Gordon' like titles, just like AOTC.

But like bigsef I do not think major words will be repeated.

yerssot
and explain me then what are Flash Gordon titles?

bigsef2
all the star wars movies are flash gordon type titles. they are "cheesy" titles that recall 1950s sci-fi titles. people just dont think the OT movies are cheesy because theyve been around so long and were all used to them. The Empire Strikes Back is a perfect example. Its totally cheesy.

To prove the point, imagine terminator 2:judgement day, was titled terminator 2:the skynet strikes back! it would be totally cheesy. That is how GL titles all his movies. The Phantom Menace recalls a bit of Phantom of the Opera, and other old sci-fie menace movies. Attack of the Clones is meant to recall movies such as Attack of the 50 foot woman from the early 60s.

Episode III will have an equally campy title. It will likely start with the letter R and probably include "Sith" in the Title. In my opinion, Revenge of the Sith is a good contrast for Return of the Jedi, and aptly describes the events that occur in Episode III.

yerssot
the bad guys hurt the others?

bigsef2
what the *&$# are you talking about

yerssot
the new cheesy title?

bigsef2
ohhhh, youre saying the new title should be "the bad guys hurt the others" thats kinda funny. haha

yerssot
reminds me of the guy from "Goodmorning Vietnam" big grin

Julie
Robin Williams????or his character???

yerssot
no, that guy that is the boss of the radio:
"Is that a joke? I get it! I like jokes!"

Julie
Ahh the perfect cover for the "really dense one who doesn't get a joke if it's explained to him."

yerssot
what are you tallking about?

Julie
*a joke presented*
*a confused look*
"....er is that a joke? I get it! I like jokes"
*smooth recovery*

yerssot
that's what YOU think

Julie
yes....don't get defensive on me Yerssot...it's not becoming big grin

MasterSkywalker
the new title should be
the Emperor's New Grove

just joking

it should be
The Jedis Last Stand or The Dark Crausade
tell what you think?

yerssot
isn't that last one almost like one of Indiana Jones?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.