Black Hawk Down

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Thomas H
Hello people, are anybody of you waiting for the new Bruckheimer and Ridley Scott movie Black Hawk Down?
I just cant wait, it seems to be a VERy good movie.
If anyone are interested about this prjocect you can vistit one of the best sites I have ever seen, www.bruckheimer.n3.net
There are lots of Black Hawk Down news there, and also, a lot of other news and a great messageboard.
I hope I see you there smile
Plus I want to wish everybody a merry christmas and a happy new year.
www.bruckheimer.n3.net

Machine
bruckheimer sucks thats all i have to say about that

Texas
I'm sick of military war type movies, there are like 5 coming out in the next few months roll eyes (sarcastic)

Machine
oh my there are a couple crappy "war is bad" kind of movies the ones that show as much action as possible then turn around and try to lay down some BS about war is sad .why do they bring them all out around the same time god black hawk down ,we were soldiers , and like three others i forgot about but i know are coming out .damn they will suck ass

Dim
I think if you're going to see a war movie this is the one to see...it's got the cast..and it's not all...glossy.

Machine
the cast should never matter people never make a movie better or worth seeing

BackFire349
most war movies are hypoctricical of themselves, and ridley scott sucks horribly.

Dim
Actually I think most people would agree that the talent of the actor is one of the keys to a good movie..along with a good plot..they have to be able to deliver the performance.

Thomas H
Well, dont get angry at me for trying to tell you people about this movie, i THINK all of you should take a look at the trailer, its very good.
Bruckheimer rocks.
This movie is going to take home a couple of oscars to...I belive and hope big grin
More info at www.bruckheimer.n3.net

Thomas H
This movie has it all if you ask me..a great plot, great actors, a great and respected director the same for the producers.
Cant wait to see this movie.
Visit www.bruckheimer.n3.net for more info

Zed
Talk about blatant advertising laughing out loud

C'mon if really want to see an anti-war movie its gotta be Apocalypse Now, or the newly released Redux version.

Ridley Scott is a good director, but the situation he is tryin to deal with is very complex. And as he's a "Hollywood Director" he's obviously going to make the Americans look good.

Well using the Americans as hero in this movie isn't a good idea, as the Americans tend to start more wars, and so have to make more anti-war movies.roll eyes (sarcastic)

I don't think that this is really relevant, but I read somewhere that the character that Ewan McGregor plays is now actually a convicted pedophile.

Anyway I think its gonna be a Pearl Harbour type of movie, use a situation thats extremly close to the Americans and that should sell tickets.

Thomas H
Thats right Ewan McGregor playes. John Stebbins, in the movie McGregors name is Grimes.
The army asked the produsers to change the name.
John Stebbins is sitting in the millitary prison called Fort Levhenwort or something.
I am not advertising anything, I am just saying that i am looking forward to this movie..anything wrong with that?
PS Have a merry christmas and a happy new year everybody. rolling on floor laughing

Thomas H
Hello Zed
Have you read the book?
If you havent I advice you to read it.
Offcoure it is going to be a little bit patriotic! But the point with this movie is to see how hard it is to be a soldier, its a true story.
There is going to very bad scenes in the movie, I have heard, so I guess its going to be a little bit like Saving Private Ryan.
evil face smokin'

BackFire349
its going to be one of those movies that glorify war.

Zed
My beef with Bruckhiemer and his Hollywood buddies is that they will make a movie about anything as long as it makes them money.

I have not got anything about them making movies, mainstream or not. As they have made some good movies.

They just keep on reguritating the same stuff over and over again. They make a good movie and so they have to make another just slightly different. They should be more original.

Machine
oh my to many war movies their is harts war ,we were soldiers ,charlotte gary ,black hawk down and they all come out within two months of each other

hollywood diretor or not ridley scott just plain sucks

Zed
He was and still is an advertising director says it all

Thomas H
For the first what is the point with making a movie without earning any money, offcourse they are making this movie to earn money. Its their job.
And for Ridley Scott, call himm whatever you want to but he is a great director!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
How any of you people seen Gladiator? The movie is great!
PS, are there anyone here who are going to see Black Hawk Down?

Thomas H
Anyway, what kind of movies do you guys like, becaus it seems to me that all of you hate Ridley Scott and Jerry Bruckheimer. So tell me what movies do you like??????????????????????????????

Thomas H
For all of the people how think this is a Hollywood movie read this!

| Cast Members Jason Isaacs, and Tom Sizemore talk Black Hawk Down. From Reuters:
The movie was shot in Morocco -- Somalia still being too anarchic a nation to host an international movie crew. The actors, including lead player Josh Hartnett, spent several weeks in military boot camps before shooting began and also met with some of the soldiers they were to portray.

For both actors and soldiers, it proved a surprising experience.

``I found myself overawed with a sense of responsibility to tell the story without showing off. Actors are all about showing off, but this time it was about getting ourselves out of the way and letting the story tell itself,'' said Jason Isaacs, a British actor who plays Ranger Captain Mike Steele.

Retired Special Forces Col. Lee Van Arsdale ( a military advisor who took part in the 1993 Somalia mission) said he was ``half-way expecting something Hollywood -- effete liberals and all that. But these guys were fantastic. They were totally committed to getting it right.''

Getting it right, for the actors, meant stepping into the boots of soldiers whose motto ``leave no man behind'' became a creed that transcended their individual fears.

``The movie is about heroism and bravery and the anatomy of battle, not the anatomy of personality which is the typical Hollywood fare. Ridley Scott said he wanted to make a movie about the foreground, not the background,'' said Tom Sizemore, who plays Lt. Col. Danny McKnight, the Ranger who went back into the fray repeatedly to try to save his men.

``In a firefight, no one has a moment to look cool, to smoke a cigarette and say 'Hey! Look at me.' This is not a Hollywood movie. It is a very, very serious movie,'' Sizemore said.

Thomas H
And this:

But how clear is it? The New York Times reports:
Tom Matthews, who retired after 28 years as a helicopter pilot, was a lieutenant colonel in charge of all of the choppers hovering over Mogadishu during the battle depicted in Mr. Bowden's book. "I think, clearly, that some people looked at what happened in Somalia and they saw that as a sign of weakness," he said.

What was important to him, and to the Army Rangers and Delta Force members who had taken part in the 1993 battle and who were at the world premiere last week of "Black Hawk Down" at the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences in Beverly Hills, was that the record be made clear that what occurred on the streets of Mogadishu was not a military debacle for America.

Sgt. First Class Matthew Eversmann, who played a key role in the Mogadishu fighting and is the central character in the film (portrayed by Josh Hartnett), said that he was satisfied that the filmmakers, within the constraints of their need to be entertaining, had accurately shown what it was like to be in the middle of that battle. And regardless of inferences about how it might have affected subsequent American foreign policy, which he said he was constrained from discussing because he was still on active duty, he was convinced that the film would be a tonic for audiences now that American soldiers are in conflict once again.

"I think it's going to be good for people to see this movie in the wake of what has been happening," Sergeant Eversmann said. "It's good for them to know that we have a capable military filled with guys willing to slide down the rope into the furnace, if you'll pardon me using a cliche."

Actually, the decision on the closing crawl on the film was made in early December, as Mr. Scott scrambled to get a finished print of the film in time for its limited release (the final piece of the film's score, by Hans Zimmer, was not finished until 45 minutes before the premiere, the composer said, which is about as close as you can cut it).

King Jedi
I think it's going to be great. And if anyone knows the story then they'll know it can't be some glossy Hollywood shot'em up.

Thomas H
In about 7 hours the film will have a premiere in LA an NY, I just cant wait to se the reviews. the movie has gotten a couple of good reviews and some bad. But I will wait to judge the movie untill I have seen it. big grin

King Jedi
All the reviews I've read have been great. Do you have links to the bad ones?

Zed
C'mon Tom, told you before that I have problem with any of these directors.

Most people just dont like the way they just repeat the same stuff, and dont be original.

Ofcourse they are gonna want to make money, but they should make thier movies abit more diverse.

Makes it more exciting when going to the movies.

Machine
i also hate micheal bay .but i have come to greatly love peter jackson director of dead alive and LOTR's .

Thomas H
You can find some bad once at www.rottentomatoes.com and www.bruckheimer.n3.net
PLus machine, how do you like, I read that you actualy thought that Cameron Diaz was ugly, how is that possibille???

Machine
Yes , i do beleive she ugly , she is subpare, nothing special .Here are a few women i believe are beautiful Salma Hayek ,Demi Moore ,Sharon Stone , Juliette lewis , Lita , natalie portman (when she was younger) and that young girl in the harry potter movie

Thomas H
OK.
Over to the movie part.
I have a couple of questions to Machine...
Who are your favoritte director?
Favoritte actor?
Favoritte movie?

Machine
favorite directors have to be Stanley kubrick , kevin smith, taratino ,mel brooks ,peter jackson
favorite actress is angelina jolie
favorite actor jack nicholson
favorite movie i have lots of favorites in this area a clockwork orange ,paths of glory , american beauty , crow,boondock saints ,lord of the rings ,natural born killers,shining , texas chainsaw massacre ,and many more .

Thomas H
Black Hawk Down opend this weekend at 4 cinemas.
And I have to say, it did great on the boxoffice ( as usual for a Bruckheimer movie big grin )
In this weekend it earnd 182,000 dollars, That is GREAT numbers for a movie who only is test screening.

evil face

Thomas H
Hello.
Does antbody here believe that BHD will take home any Oscars?
Well I do.
I think it will take home:
Best actor...Josh Hartnett.
Best Cineographi
Best suporting actor
Maybe best music (If Hans Zimmer has made a kick ass score, as he usualy do)
Maybe best picrue (I hope that this will happen but im not sure.)
What do you people believe???????????????

King Jedi
I've said it before but I think it has a good chance of cleaning up. But I haven't seen it so it's just a guess.

Machine
i know this movie is going to be a big hyped up movie with nothing to back it up i will never see this movie even though i do get to see it for free .

BackFire349
if i had to guess i would say it would be pretty mediocre.

Dim
Actually from what the critics are saying it's not just your standard war movie..which is great..I don't think I can sit through another one for a while.

King Jedi
And the clips I've seen look amazing.

Thomas H
As I have heard from the critics...the movies is one of the best war movie ever and you have never seen anything like it.
There are no flag waving in the movie, no "Rambo" soldier to save the day. And that the acting in the movie are ROCK- solid.
And I believe every word they say.
Cant wait..
Does anybody here know when the BHD realase is in Norway?????

Thomas H
Copyed from www.countingdown.com

(This is good news for a BHD fan)

Despite opening on 4 screens in New York and Los Angeles, Black Hawk Down played to sold out houses, and stormed up an amazing $182,000 for a per screen average of a powerful $45,500. smokin'

BackFire349
ive read some reviews of people who have seen this movie, and they said it wasnt really anything special.

Thomas H
Mostly all of the reviews I have read are positive, and they said thet tha movie has the best war scenes ever. eek!

finti
I saw it got bad reviews, seen it all before kind of reviews.
Hyped up movie that aint able to back it up. Sorry Thomas, guess this movie is like not the right time to release it.
It is talks about it will go directly to video in Norway

Dim
Actually every review I've seen about it has been a rave...Of course we'll have to see how it goes when it's in wide release.

King Jedi
When does it open in the U.K?

Thomas H
Hello finti, I hope you are joking??
Right on movie, that cant be true:::
Have you read any Norvegian reviewes????
I would be terrebly sad if this movie does not open on cinema in Norway. For crying out load..even a Steven Seagal movie is shown on cinema, why isnt BHD.
check out www.rottentomatoes.com
there you can find a lot of good reviewes!!!!!!!!!! confused

Thomas H
Where have you found these bad reviewes finti????
I hear that this movie is one of its kind. Best war movie since Saving Privat Ryan...and that movie was VERY good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

finti
actually I read it on a movie site on the web, the right on video is no BS Thomas. Because of the situation that US might bomb Somalia dont fit in with this movie release. So they either hold it or put it right on video/DVD.
(I am now talking about actions for this movie in Norway)

But then again I never listen to what critics says, I wanna make up my own mind. So I will see it, you better bet on that
Personally I think it looks cool

TeCk-IcE
what does BS mean?

TeCk-IcE
Where exactly did you find this bad reviews. I have read lot of reviews, and there where ca. 70% good and 30% bad ones.

Have you read any norwegian reviews yet?

I have only read americans.

King Jedi
That Ebert guy said it was the seconds best film of 2001.

By I agree with Finti. I don't listen to critics.

Thomas H
Hello Finti!
Where have you read that BHD is only going to be realased in video in Norway. Because I would like to hear it.

For me it would be idiotic to not send the movie on cinema:
Chck out here for the reason:
Ridley Scott is the director.
Jerry bruckheimer is the producer
Simon West are the executive producer.
The movie are a reel Oscar contender.
It got a GREAT cast, some exampels: Jason Isaacs, William Fitchener, Josh Hartnett, Ewan Mc Gregor, Ewan Bremner, Sam Shepard, Orlando Bloom, Jeremy Piven, Sam Shepard, eric Bana and so on....
The movie will became a blockbuster in USA. (I guess it will open in the first week with about 25-38 million dollars)
Its a war movie, like no body have seen before.

And Finti I totaly agree with you about the critic thing, I actualy dont like critics to much!!!!!
But anyway its right what Tec Ice sais, BHD has about 70% good once and 30 % bad once.
PS, I will try to find out when tthe premiere will be in Scotland King Jedi!!!!!!
smokin'

finti
They interviewd the director of KinoZ (Stavanger&Sandnes) on the news (local TV) he talk about comming releases in 2002.
He just mentioned that it had been discussed that this movie would not be taken up on the theaters, just put em out straight on video. Like the movie the Art of War was never on the movies in Stavanger cause the director thought it sucked. They have this power if they personally dislike a film they wont give it screening on their theaters. BHD might be on the theaters in Oslo, Bergen and other Norwegian cities but I didnt like the tone of his voice for BHD for KinoZ Stavanger & Sandnes sad
I hope the film attracts lots of attention, this way he cant come without it.

and somehow when I surf the net for film critics of movies I wanna see I always end up with the bad ones confused

I must admit I have read some raw reviews on BHD, but you were so fired up Thomas I had to slow you down a bit evil face

yerssot
Too much Norsies here!

finti
Soon we rule the world waffle boy

Machine
watch out i hear those norgies have great mystical powers revealing those of god

finti
indeed

ToMacco
BS is Bull Shit

Thomas H
hehe
The Vikings rule the messageboard laughing out loud cool

Check out BHD at imdb it got a 7.9 with just 200 votes but it will rise!!!!!

Thomas H
Cool BHD pictures at www.darkhorizons.com
One where the deltas and ranges cut out fornt pilot cliff "Elvis Willcot form the bombed hlack hawk. other cool pictures to!!!

Thomas H
the UK premiere will be in - April 12th 2002

Thomas H
Well here are a lot of premieres
RELEASE DATES:
USA - December 28th 2001 (ltd), January 18th 2002 (wide)
UK - April 12th 2002, Argentina - April 11th 2002
Belgium - April 3rd 2002, Czech Republic - April 4th 2002
France - April 3rd 2002, Germany - April 4th 2002
Iceland - April 12th 2002, Sweden - April 12th 2002

Remember these dates its time to run to the cinemas. Or just do like machine is going to do..............not go smokin'

Dim
I'm gonna go see it today in Santa Monica..hopefully it lives up to the hype.

finti
and Norway ?

Thomas H
usualy Norway aint beeing mentiont when they talk about realases, but I bet they will have the same as sweden!!!
Lucky you Dim...
I hope you post what you tought about the movie!!

Dim
Actually I wan't so lucky...when we got there the 3:30 show was sold out..so we caught another movie and thought we would be able to get tickets in time for the 8:30 show...but when we got out at 6 that show time had already been sold out too.. roll eyes (sarcastic)

King Jedi
Looks like it will be big then.

Zed
Movie will be a big hit, mostly due to Jerry Bruckheimer involvement. Has been said that the movie is more of a Bruckheimer than a Ridley Scott movie.

And the movie is said to value one death of an American the same it values 50 Somalis, and gives the Americans 90% of screen time.

The movie is said to be made for the Americans. So no go for the rest of us.

Dim
I don't know if that's true...I think you can still appreciate a film even if it's told from an American point of view.

queeq
I wanna see this one. I guess it'll be released in Holland around the same time as it will be in Belgium. But then, I'm a Ridley Scott fan, I even forgave him for G.I. Jane. wink

finti
I thought they all were

Thomas H
Hello Dim, I hope you will post your review after you have seen it, have you heard from other people how have seen the movie??'
What do they think???
And as I have said since the begining offcourse this movie will be BIG!!!!!!! smokin'

finti
Nah BIG is already a movie by itself big grin

Thomas H
Say again?
confused

Thomas H
Black Hawk down has 8.1 at imdb...thats GOOD..
Does anyone like my new picture??? Its Josh Hartnett in BHD!!!

Thomas H
Hello just wanted to say that I had to change my picture, my old one was to big...is this ok???????? smokin'

finti
still is big.

Thomas H
Just wanted to update you on the BHD box office part..it still does great and draws full houses in both LA and NY.
Here are the results:
it earnd $193,021 in this weekend and has earnd together:$558,812
The avarage is $48,255 ( Believe it or not this even chruses lotr in average)

eek!

Thomas H

Thomas H
Hello Dim..have you seen the movie yet???????

finti
mmmm Alexander the great now we are talking.

Dim
No I haven't seen it yet...Looks like I'll try again this weekend.

Thomas H
Good luck then! Dim

Thomas H
I think Alexander the great could be good..but I hope that Leonardo Dicaprio dint star in it..I dont like him to much! sad

King Jedi
There was an Alexander the Great film made two years ago and it bombed at the box office. It really was terrible.

Thomas H
Who starred in that movie??? roll eyes (sarcastic)

Thomas H
I read a review at www.countingdown.com by a man who had seen the movie, and he seemes to be VERY VERY Happy about the movie!

Since I live in Los Angeles I have had the oportunity to see Black Hawk Down. I saw it on opening day on December 28th, 2001 and twice more since then.

I have to say that they nailed this movie. I was so afraid of what they were going to do to it. Be assured that they did an excellent job.

Basically this movie tells you what events "went down" on October 3, 1993. I think they made a wise decision not to go into great detail about each individual character. The reason why? There are just too many people to go indepth with.

The movie just tells the story. It's important to tell this story so that people realize what men go through in combat. This movie does not sugar-coat anything nor does it hollywoodize anything.

Some will say that this movie doesn't go into as great of detail as the book. What movie based on a book does? If you want more information, read the book as well. You should do both anyway.

Extremely well done! 4 Stars!

Thomas H
The army men who was in the battle in Mogadishu talkes about the movie, and they are very happy about it...I just cant wait to see it now, I realy have to wait to April..tooooo loooooooooong.
When even teh army men sais this movie is GOOD, then it is good!

The Accuracy of Black Hawk Down

| The Orange County Register looks at the realism in Black Hawk Down:
To make sure he got it right, Scott brought in three military advisers, two of whom were directly involved in the battle depicted in the movie.

Retired Col. Lee Van Arsdale, a former squadron commander in the elite Delta Force, said the filmmakers took certain liberties in making their movie but none that concerned the military advisers.

"They cheated on the radio transmissions (in the movie, they use names instead of numbered designations) and in the use of soldiers' names on helmets (the military no longer does that). Both were done to avoid audience confusion, but almost everything else from a technical or equipment standpoint was on the mark.

"The guys out there who make a living by picking things apart are going to have a tough time on this one."

In fact, all the equipment, from the helicopters to the weapons, were exactly the same ones in use in Somalia in 1993.

Van Arsdale, who earned a Silver Star and a Purple Heart during his military service, said he and the other advisers also acknowledged that the element of time would have to be compromised.

"The intention was never to make a documentary," he explained.

"We made a conscious decision to compress time and to make some composite characters. There was just too much time and too many people. If we didn't take certain measures, we would have ended up with a 10-part series like (the HBO series) 'Band of Brothers.' "

Another adviser, retired Col. Thomas Matthews, said the only compromise that would not be tolerated was in the depiction of what happened to those soldiers on the ground in Somalia.

"We were in those units," Matthews said. "We knew those 18 men (who died). Five of them were in my unit. They were our people. It was very important to us to make the best possible product to honor the memory of those people."

Van Arsdale said the movie also was an opportunity to set the historical record straight.

"This is not a pro-war movie, and it is not an anti-war movie," he said. "It replicates very well what street combat is all about. And it properly portrays the troops on the ground that day. They were not the idiots that the press would have us believe they were.

"These combat soldiers fought like hell to protect their brothers, and they won that battle. They didn't lose it by any definition. These troops won the day."

Thomas H
YES my post numeber 100. wow!! laughing out loud

Thomas H
Hello King jedi do you remember who starred in the movie??
And when you say bombed the boxoffice, do you mean that in a negative or positive way? embarrasment

Thomas H
Somebody may think it is idiotic that I post here when nobodys boder to answer, but the thing is that I like to post news. So I will keep on doing that, because people may enjoy reading it! smokin'

TeCk-IcE
Thomas H:

6 in a row.

That`s double hatrick smile

rolling on floor laughing

Thomas H
If you read what I said propably you would understant that I give BHD fans news, I dont boder if I got a hat trick, double hatrick or a tripple hat trik! evil face

Thomas H
On bad ass critic has said that BHD will win the best picture of the year, and he is like the biggest critic in the US, cant remember his name.
And also herbert over at cbs has said it is the years second best movie!

Thomas H
This was not ment to be here. I mean the thing over this, I worte it at the worng place.

Thomas H
Seen it yet dim???? smile

Bad Boy
The English film critic, Jonathan Ross is a bag of shit. He critised BHD just for the fact that it was produced by Jerry Bruckheimer. What exactly is wrong with popcorn films (I'm not saying BHD is a popcorn film)? If they entertain the audience, then who cares if it has a basic storyline and no complicated narratives. All the old film critics give Psycho 5 stars. Well directed it may be, but where's the &*#@ ENTERTAINMENT!!!!!
*deleted for language*

Thomas H
Originally posted by Bad Boy
The English film critic, Jonathan Ross is a bag of shit. He critised BHD just for the fact that it was produced by Jerry Bruckheimer. What exactly is wrong with popcorn films (I'm not saying BHD is a popcorn film)? If they entertain the audience, then who cares if it has a basic storyline and no complicated narratives. All the old film critics give Psycho 5 stars. Well directed it may be, but where's the @#$ ENTERTAINMENT!!!!!

Totaly agree with you!
A lot of critics use @#$$@! up exampels,like its a bruckheimer production, and the somalians are props and shit.
They have to see what the film is aout, and the point, not boder how has made it, I totaly agree Bad boY!!!!

Sorry my language, but I got caried away!

Bullit
i think all film critics are full of shit...

Dim
sad Guys, watch your language okay?..it's not cool that I have to go through and change it just because you can't think of another way to express yourself. I understand when it's one little slip but you know that if you have to apologize for it that you're probably going too far.

Machine
yes i agree Dim i find the word FU%@ t be offensive but bruckheimer that word is over the line !

im joking i dont care about the word FU%@

Thomas H
OK I understand!
I will watch my mouth!!!!! smile

Thomas H
The thing the critics need to do is to open their eyes.
The thing here is: Movies are seperated in two differnt kind, the entertaining part, and the serious part.
So the critics cant judge every movie out of a serious kind if it is a entertaining kind.
Thats the critics biggest problem! smokin'

Dim
Okay...I reviewed it..Run, don't walk to the Reviews to see please!

Thomas H
Cool, I have been waiting to read it. the review was good!

Thomas H
Today I was visiting www.rottentomatoes.com and I found all the reviews of BHD it got 70 good reviews and 21 bad once. That is good.
By the way BHD has 8.5 at imdb, and that is also good!!! smokin'

BackFire349
saving private ryan 2, which is not a good thing.

Machine
the plot for saving private ryan 2
ok lets use a actual war and make a total BS story.
sounds like black hawk down HAHAHAHA BACKFIRE IS RIGHT!

Bad Boy
Well, I've just reviewed BHD.

I was a bit disappointed but it was still good enough to earn 4 out of 5 stars.

The battle scenes were terrific but it didn't make terrific cinema as you didn't know who died, who's who, what is happening etc. Fair enough that is the aim of the film, but for an evening of the cinema it's not amazing. Still good though! smile

Thomas H- please don't kill me!

Thomas H
You have to read the book first, you learn much easier how the persons is.
BHD has enterd top 250 now!!!!!!!yes!!!!!!!!

Thomas H
Here are the Norwegian BHD realase 22.3.02
Looking forwar to it.
How is the respons in England on bhd bad boy??

Bad Boy
Can I just say that England is not Britain. England is part of Britain along with Scotland and WALES smile

Anyway, some idiots are moaning that it's not historically correct which is stupid. By watching the film, you are not going to learn anything about history, that's not even the film's intention to anyway- just like Pearl Harbor.

It's been slated just for the fact that it's produced by Bruckheimer but the public seem to really like it. Films are about entertainment and most critics seem to forget that!!!!!

Thomas H
Well to say that the movie is historicly incorrect is stupid, a since the soldiers has said that it is almost 100% correct, so there I have to say that the critics made a fool out of them selfs!
Arent you a movie critic????
Do you work for a newspaper??
I that case what did you give bhd, a 4/5?? (that is good by the way)
Where there any ugly scenes in BHD, I know that there are a couple of bad once but can you tell me a little bit about it.
cool

finti
22 of March well easter movie then.

Ushgarak
The soliders said the BATTLE scenes were convincing, very different thing.

A movie should never be seen as a good piece of history, this as much as any other. It may be based on a book whihc IS a good piece of history, but the film is not. Just accept it for what it is; it's not a documentary.

Besides, you couldn't do justice to the Somalia situation with five films of that length. It's VERY complex.

Thomas H
Have you seen it Ushgarak??
In that case what would you have given it on a scale form 1-10??

Thomas H
For the peole who have seen the movie, is it right that actually ridley scott has dedicated this movie to his mum??
That is awfull, he should have dedicated it to the 18 men how died!
Is this right people!...I surley dont hope so!! confused

Dim
I don't remember seeing it dedicated to anyone..

Thomas H
Hmmm, thats weird, because I read that a soldier called Galentine (played by gregory Sporleder..more famous for his role as capt Frye in the rock) said that he had dedicated the movie to his mum!
confused

Thomas H
4 nominations for BHD.

F*** yea!!!!!!!!

Even 4 for pearl harbor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thomas H
Hi there:
I have a question!

Have anyone seen the trailer??
'If so, in the end of the trailer you can see tom sizemore screaming: dont let that man crawl...somebody go help that man!!!
In the movie Tom Sizemore dont do that...or do he, I have not seen he do it, but have anyone seen it??

cgtuna21
Let me just say that this movie is a pure masterpiece. It had great film editing with excellent music that went into the movie wonderfully. I loved this movie, the action, and great acting especially by Eric Bana who is a complete badass in this movie. Great movie!!!! What do u guys think about it

A Talking Dog
there are much better war films out there with better action and drama. this movie only did so well, because of the time in which it was released.
it got rather boring at some parts.

cgtuna21
no it didnt, it was all action. how could u say its boring. its so far from boring. it was excellent

JKozzy
Personally, I loved BHD. It didn't do well 'just because the time it was released,' it definetly was a very well made film with intense action, deep plot, and enough overall to satisfy many. Gory, but that comes with a war movie.

cgtuna21
amen to that

A Talking Dog
well, i wouldn't really consider this to have a "deep plot".
and, i said the action was boring, because it really didn't have the same effect of being harrowing or jarring, as say, a movie like Saving Private Ryan or Platoon. it was just loud noises and people running and yelling. after an hour of this, it just got bland and borring.
it wasn't even that gory, i don't even consider this to be a violent movie, i consider it to be just another action movie.
Action and violence are two different things.

critics even bad-mouthed it because it was just all action, and not even a bit of character development.
i mean, of course, it is dramatic to see someone saying their last prayers on an operating table or something akin to that, but how many times have we seen that before.

plus, in the confusion of battle, facts get lost. I don't care who started the battle, but, come on, how many Americans died, and how many Somalians died. Clearly the Somalians initiated the battle, but they are still people....blah blah blah, don't want to go there.

ElectricBugaloo
i was just thinking the other day how the Fallujah attacks in Iraq almost mirrored BHD

cgtuna21
well saving private ryan is my favorite war movie but black hawk down is one of my favorites and it sure is not boring and is also one of the most realistic movies of all time

whatshisface
it was an okay movie. i actually liked it. the part where the chopper totally f*cked up the skinnies on top of the roof... that was kick @ss!

bader40
I agree with everything you've said..first class war movie (with NO boring bits)

Commando
this moive rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! rock

A Talking Dog
*sigh*

Xena
Great movie! i love how the camera moves on this film. It captures some good scenes. Bloody and full of suspence! i like that kind of war films.

Thomas H
this is without doubt the best war movie ever!! and trust me Ive seen a lot of them!

cgtuna21
ya i no

Polly
I LOVED Black Hawk Down!!!!! My boyfriend is obsessed with it.

forumcrew
i like it a simple for the realisticness of it. They had rangers on the set to help and they followed the real details the best possible, including the correct # of soldiers dying. I think its one of the best war movies by far.. because they did just that made it only a war movie not a comedy not a love story.. they just told the story of that area and it was intense and very well done

Cinemaddiction
I like "BHD", but with what you said, you are potentially putting it in front of..

Saving Private Ryan
We Were Soldiers
Pearl Harbor
Platoon
Das Boot
The Longest Day
Patton
Apocalypse Now
Dirty Dozen
The Deer Hunter
Full Metal Jacket
Sands of Iwo Jima
Tora!Tora!Tora!
Hamburger Hill
Casualties of War

You sure about that, now? Honestly. "Black Hawk Down" isn't even technically a war movie. It's about 1 isolated incedent of one single platoon, and their helicopter going down in Somalia?

Samas-adian
Its also a good movie about tactics. I thought it was very well done...
and it does the story justice.

cgtuna21
r u stupid cinemadiction, it's a war movie. you need 2 get ur head straight, the whole movie was war...omg!!!

Samas-adian
Actually it was a battle....there was no war...Somalia and United States were not at war with each other..so it wasnt a war.

Cinemaddiction
Nope, actually I think I have quite a vast knowledge of movies in general, and even more so when it comes to modern day war films, of which "Black Hawk Down".

Much like "Tigerland", although it is technically about training for the Vietnam war, not once were they shown in combat, so it's not a war movie.

Thank you, drive through.

forumcrew
well cinemadiction is right if you wanna say war movie as in a real war.. but then theres only a couple choices.. and most of those choices are real wars fake stories.. or like pearl harbor.. a love story and pearl harbor was before america was at war so its not technically a war movie.. BHD is definantly a war movie though and I would put it right at the top of the list

Kes
Easy cgtuna21.

Samas-adian
No BHD is not about a war... its about a battle that US Rangers and Delta went through on that day...it was not a war.
so how can it be called a war movie if it was not about a war. Saving Private Ryan, Platoon, Apcolyspe Now, We Were Soliders, Braveheart, The Patriot...those are war movies, yes they had fake stories, but atleast the reason of the story was because of the war.

cgtuna21
yes it is a battle but if u go 2 imdb.com and go 2 black hawk down, the genre is action, drama, and war. so i think im right

forumcrew
Samas.. those are not war movies.. if its a fake story its not a true war movie.. BHD was just one day and it was never an official war but it was an ongoing battle that was extensive and was like a small war.. the only difference is congress never declared war because you can not declare war on a people.. we werent fighting a nation.. if America had known terrorism existed at that time it would be part of the war on terror

Samas-adian
If they never declared war...then how is it a war...a war is a open arms combat, often prolong conflict between nations, states or parties.. BHD was a battle between soldiers against civilians...it was not a war..

and CGT, that is no evidence that suggest that your right... its like saying Blink 182 is punk...giving a movie some sort of genre heading is no evidence saying its right.

and the movies i mentioned...the patriot and Apcolyspe Now have fake stories...SVP yes, the story was not real, but the scenes in movie were not.... same for Platoon. We Were Soldiers was made from a the main character's first hand tale of the battle.

A Talking Dog
The Matrix Revolutions was a better war movie than Black Hawk Down.
A bloated excercise in cliched material. I nearly burst out laughing during the movie.

forumcrew
yea but we were soldiers was also so involved in the at home front.. i never said black hawk down was about a true war it isnt.. but the genre is a war movie because they dont make the genres that specific.... my point with BHD is it was a good "battle" movie then, and it was more realistic and stuck to the true story more then any other combat, war, battle film or atleast most
oh and it was during the somalian civil war, which is a war. as it is officialy reported that the conflict we were in was the samolian civil war

"On October 3, 1993 Operation Code Irene of the United States Army Special Operations Command (USASOC) turned out to be the most intensive close combat that Americans had engaged in since the Vietnam War. The operation occurred in Somalia, Africa as part of Operation Gothic Serpent; with the primary mission of capturing two lieutenants of the Somalian warlord General Mohamed Farrah Aidid. The events were later baptized as the Battle of Mogadishu by the international media." call it what you want they were in a war that day.. but we soon removed all our troops after this because we had been through vietname and learned and knew we shouldnt be there anymore

by the way why are canadians posting about war?

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>