I, jedi

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ratcat
I bought this book last year and only managed about 25 pages before I through is aside. Picked it up last night and read the first 150 straight off.

Isn't it weird how you can hate at first and then like it. Shows that you shuld always give it at least 2 goes.

Ratcat
It's a different kind of Star Wars book as it's written from the perspective of a character we've never seen before but situatins and events from other books are being revisited and veiwed from a different angle.

Also there's a lot of interaction with the main characters form the OT.

Xizor
That approach has worked for me on all Star Wars books I originally disliked except the Shield of Lies trilogy. Those books are awful.

theEviljedi
Some kid in my class is reading it.It looks pretty cool.He wouldn't let me see it though.I am trying to convice him to come to this forum.He loves the books.

Xizor
I, Xizor enjoyed I, Jedi. big grin

UnknownBountyHunter
I have never read that book either. I think I could finish it in a day or two. I just read the Thrawn Trilogy over again in German this time!! I have way too much time on my hands now. smile

Xizor
HEIR TO THE EMPIRE!!!!!

-UBH, did you like the Shield of lies trilogy? I give 'em two thumbs down, no point in their existance as matter of fact.

UnknownBountyHunter
Shield of Lies? 2 Questions:

1)Time period?
2)Characters?

Xizor
I thought you read all the books? Anyhow it's like 16 years after endor. Lando & Lobot chase some drone ship, Leia tangles with sadistic aliens, Luke looks for their mom, nobody else does much. No new characters are introduced. It's a borathon of poor writing. If Lucas read them and nothing else I could see why he didn't like the novels.

UnknownBountyHunter
Where's your sig? Anywhooo, I have read ALMOST all the books, I obviously need to read the new ones, DOH! I real read it soon.

Xizor
I don't KNOW why my saber won't appear you sardonic little pill. You also missed my point, the books were written three years ago and were AWFUL. I don't suggest reading them to anyone.

Ratcat
SPOILERS BELOW

I finished I Jedi last night, the last 60 pages are awesome and a real high point for an ending.

Fave Points about the book

I love the way Stackpole has interwoven the story into events that have been seen in a number of the other books. For example the inclusion of the Jedi Academy and Kyp Durron for one.

Also the emotional conflicts within the mind of Corran as he searches to discover the fate of Mirax. My only concern was that the actual discovery and rescue was over too quickly after all that had gone before.

I would recommend this book to anyone, don't be put off by the opening chapters, it really starts to roll after about page 70.

Jedi Mercenary
I'm trying to finish Dark Tide 2: Ruin

Xizor
I am still concerned that people might actually want to read Shield of Lies. DO NOT READ THOSE BOOKS!!!!

Jedi Mercenary
I didn't even consider them

Xizor
Yes of course, must be because they are so bad.

Lord Odin
hehe I agree, those books suck!

They had no impact on the storyline whatsoever and aren't mentioned in any of the other books afterwards...in my opinion (and it looks as if its everyone elses) steer clear of these books cause they are just a waste of time.

I also thought that I, Jedi was an awesomely written book, my fave part was the battle between the Jensaari and Corrans uncle or whoever it was when he was seeing the battle through his ancestors eyes or something...damn, I need to read it again!

I also like the Jensaaris cortosis ore armour!

Xizor
I jedi ia a terrific book. You bring up a good point Odin, you know a SW's book is bad when an author who writes books after it ignore's it's characters and storylines completly. Vice versa you know they are good when it's chracters are included in future books and it's story mentioned all the time. Like the Thrawn trilogy, they were so good that characters like Mara, Bel Iblis, Winter, Pallaeon and Feylia showed up all the time in the books that came after it.

Admiral Kettch
There actually are a bunch of the Black Fleet Crisis characters reoccuring in the NJO now, most of them military officers.

There were two main things I enjoyed about the BFC, and that was the way the New Republic military and the New Republic's government were expanded upon, from earlier books. Outside of that, though, they're pretty bad. I still don't know why Lando was even in that book. His plot didn't even have anything to do with the storyline of the book!

Oh and 1 other good thing out of the BFC and thats one of my favorite quotes:

"A frontal assault with overwhelming force-that is the way war was meant to be fought. Strength against strength-not the cowardly tactics of the Rebel Alliance. You have grown some since I last knew you." -Sil Sorannan, on the New Republic

Ratcat
Good point, I think the character of Lando has developed into a background one now. He's back at Bespin doing his thing and also running his Asteroid field fighter assort course thing but he has no involvement in New Republic politics or life currently.

Sometimes I find him being mentioned in such a way that it seems to be just a reminder that he's out there.

Jedimaster3838
I want Lando to return soon. He is one of my favorite characters from the movie and I like the books that he's in. Maybe his wife will be killed by the Vong and he will come back and join the New Republic military as a general and lead the attack against the Vong. I would love it if he came back as Han's new co-pilot. The two of them would kick some serious Vong butt!

Jedimaster3838
I want Lando to return soon. He is one of my favorite characters from the movie and I like the books that he's in. Maybe his wife will be killed by the Vong and he will come back and join the New Republic military as a general and lead the attack against the Vong. I would love it if he came back as Han's new co-pilot. The two of them would kick some serious Vong butt! Plus, it would be funny with them two arguing all the time in the cockpit.

Admiral Kettch
I'd like to see him come back to NRI. Hopefully he won't get killed off, at least not without playing an important part in some of the upcoming novels.

Ratcat
What's NRI??? Do you mean the New Jedi Order?

Admiral Kettch
New Republic Intelligence.

finti
any inputs anyone. Started it yesterday and personally I dont like novels written in I form. Do I need to read it for the future books?

Ratcat
Hehe, I always wanted to try that. Merged these two together because, well they're the same thread.

finti
moding a mod, hmm what can I do about that evil face .
then again my queations still stands though do I really need to read it?

Julie
No....It's an interesting book...but there's enough known about Corron Horn already to give background for his NJO role

LanceWindu
I'm thinking about getting this book, I,Jedi. It sounds nice. I really like the Corran Horn character. He can be funny.

Julie
Get it from the library if you can and save the $ for the NJO

LanceWindu
Well, I was at the library and when I didn't find the books I was looking for I found I,Jedi. So I'm going to start it today.

Ratcat
Don't disount it though, it does give some excellent insights into Jedi ritual. Plus I love Corrans' special skill.

Julie
Yeah his special skill is very interesting....I don't think I'd relish having that particular skill though smile

Ki-Adi Gallia
I've never read it. Is it good? BTW, I'm kinda new here. I'd like to make friends.

Ushgarak
Plenty of friends to be made here! A good start is to open a cheery "Hello!" thread in the Welcome area.

I agree with the others. It's not terrible but look for better books before you buy this one.

LanceWindu
That's why I got it from the library first before I did anything else with it. I thought it was an OK book. I especially liked how you can see into the other books from a completely different angle.

Julie
Hello, Ki-Adi Gallia.

Yes, the first person POV was an interesting twist. I don't usually read those books so I have little to compare it to, but I, Jedi was at the very least, intriguing.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.