What does Shmi do for a living ?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Gundark
Okay, here's my first new topic, gang. I know Shmi is a slave as well as Anakin, but what does she do? I don't think she works in Watto's shop, but I don't think a slave hangs out around the house all day.

theEviljedi
She probally works at the shop doing the same chores as Anakin did.

King Jedi
Yeah she probably has a nice easy job like all of the slaves seem to have.

Darth Daft
In the novel she does enter the shop at some point, although I can't remember if she was working. Also, in the scene when Qui-Gon tells Shmi and Anakin that Anakin is free she is sitting at her work desk with lots of little pieces of machinery and parts. I think she might make certain gadgets and machines for Watto.

Gundark
Yes, DD, I remember she was sitting at what looked like some kind of work table with all kinds of small machinery. Still, being slaves, their place certainly wasn't a dungeon. According to the book, there was a main room/kitchen area, Anakins room and Shmi's room. Not bad for slaves on a planet on the outer rim.

Ratcat
Somewhere, I think it was in the novel but I'll have to check, but I remember it saying that she cleaned and repaired small items of machinary for Watto. I'm sure that was in the Novel. Before that we was a house maid for a Hutt.

Darth Daft
Yes exactly as it says in the Insider's Guide. She was indeed a house servent and now cleans machine devices. Also I think I heard that when in Watto's Shop she cleans racks and things like that, just as Anakin does.
I don't think that either of them have a particular job or routine. I think it just depends on what Watto tells them to do. If his junkyard needs to be sorted out he might tell Shmi to do it and if his shop is dirty he might ask Anakin to clean the place up. It all just depends on what Watto needs rather than a single type of job for each slave.

Gundark
I've got to get the insiders guide. But I'd rather repair machinery for Watto than clean house for a Hutt. Yuck.

Darth Daft
laughing out loud Yeah, where do those guys take a dump?

Dim
Ewwwweee, I didn't ever what to think about that!!! sick

Darth Daft
I want one of those little aliens that Salacious Crumb is. Ya know, the little monkey-lizard thing that sits on Jabba's tail.

Gundark
A Hutt needs an air freshner like Janitor In A Drum.

WELCOME BACK, DIM !!!! How are those Idaho potatoes ??cool

Dim
Ya know...that's the weird thing...I've been here 5 days an nary a potato in sight.

Anyway..would a large slug really smell?...do little ones smell?...I think it's mostly a slime thing with me...That's what I think's so gross..

Darth Daft
They need the slime to move along. And so would you if you had no legs or skeleton.

theEviljedi
Back on topic please.

Anyway here is the answer-When Shmi is not working at Watto's home,she is permitted to clean computer memory devices to bring in a modest income.A small area on her home is where Shmi keeps her tools and equipment is devoted to this activity.

Darth Daft
Ah riiight. I guess that's all been mentioned, so we can assume that we're right. I could kind of imagine her making food for Watto too. He isn't likely to make it himself when he has two slaves working for him.

theEviljedi
You mean 1 slave.

Darth Daft
erm...yeah. ok. If you say so.

theEviljedi
His only slave is Shmi.Anakin is gone remeber?

Darth Daft
Yeah but I meant during the time before he leaves.

Gundark
Thanks for all the responses everybody. smile

Darth Daft
You're welcome. It was a very interesting topic. cool

Ratcat
Thanks DD, you're right I saw the info in the Ep-I Insiders Guide. Should have rememebered, I'm always quoting the damn thing!!!

Darth Daft
Do you have "Behind the Magic"? It's the same as the Insiders Guide but it's for the OT. It's excellent.

Ratcat
Yeah, there both excelent resources, though I'm not sure how much you can consider them canon. We have found many contradictions between the CD's and the Official Star Wars Website.

Darth Daft
Yes, I wonder if a thermal detonator really does cost twenty thousand credits or if that's what LucasArts made up. big grin

Ratcat
Nah, 19,999.....laughing out loud

Darth Daft
lol laughing out loud

Ratcat
I think this topic is now done and dusted.

Darth Daft
That's what I was thinking. Just a simple question that has been answered by several people, all with similar or the same answers for that matter. Not much else to say.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.