Review: Black Hawk Down

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Dim
OKay I FINALLY saw it...

It takes place in 1993 in Somalia. It shows how a mission to capture a warlord and his highest ranking advisors in the Bakara Market of Mogadishu went from a planned 30 minute excusion to a huge 12 hour (I'm pretty sure it's twelve hours but don't hold me to this) massacre of the American troops involved.

The first thing I can think to say is there's alot of bloodshed..and this is an undstatement..it's more like there's ALWAYS bloodshed...but none of it seem unnessary. (Even though I was cringing most of the time I only closed my eyes for one medic sceen and it was where they were pulling a retracted artery out of a guy's hip..lot of squishing sounds and screaming, I can tell ya)

This was ALOT of movie to take in.. It's basically over 2 hours of action that's in the first 20 minutes of Saving Private Ryan. It's so chaotic that I ended up being overwhelmed. Not that this is a bad thing..I think it really brought home the feeling of what it was like to be there. The move mainly tells the story of Chalk 4 and their role, how they were split up and Seg. Evenston's (think that's his name) concern for his men. Honestly though..I'd have to say that the movie really has a large large ensemble cast. We really follow maybe 15 people and it's so chaotic that I can't even tell you most of their names. Despite this I think you can appreciate the depth of the characters and what they went though.

It's one of my favorite war movies to date..and I'm not big on war movies.... They should repackage it and distribute it to people who want to go into the military with the name "So You Want to Join the Marines"..

queeq
Sounds great. I wanna see it.

Thomas H
Cool.
Been waiting for your review for a long time.
What would you give it on a scale form 1-10??
I have said that this movie is going to rock! I have been waiting for 1 1/2 year now! Cant wait to see it!

Dim
Oh man...I'd give it a 9 or 10...I can't seem much I would change about it..

Thomas H
Holy shit, thats good.
This movie realy is good, what did your boy friend think about it?? smile

Ushgarak
Sorry to play Devil's Advocate here... and printing other reviews may seem a bit cheap... but as just about every other film around here has been criticised I think it is only fair for at least one negative review to be posted about BHD- especially as there have been so many.

And please, no more hasty remarks about critics- they are just like you and I, people with opinions.

This is Tim Robbins review in today's Daily Telegraph.

"The great war films are difficult to watch but impossible to take your eyes off; they make you flinch and they makemyou feel. Ridley Scott's relentless, pounding reconstruction of combat on the streets of Mogadishu in 1993 fails so fundamentally on the latter task that all you want to do is look away- or leave. It has the pointless verisimillitude of an expensively rendered computer simulation, and this is what makes it almost the opposite of what Scott wants it to be. It's the war film as anaesthetic.
"Scott also wants it to be a memorial of sorts to the 18 soldiers who lost their lives when an American peaceleeping operation in Somalia went horribly wrong. He tackls on a footnote to say, by the way, more than 1000 Somalis also died- a truly damning index of his film's priorities. We dome out with no concrete sense of what the Americans were actually doing in Somalia, and no sense at all of what the disaster meant in the context of US ground intervention in the Nineties.
"Sense, in general, fights a losing battle with sensation. Tye soldiers are barely distinguished, and they're played by barely distinguishable young actors, their stubbled jawlines lit just so, as they run through the rubble. Ewan McGregor lifts things slightly with his affable chancer routine, but Josh Harnett, caked in leftover grime from Pearl Harbour, just looks in need of a long, hot bath.
"None of this would matter so much if Scott had simply managed to narrate it for us how it was that things went from bad to worse for the Americans. He hasn't. When their first helicopter goes down, it does so in a twisting fury of steel and sand, but when the second does- surely an appalling frying-pan-into-the-fire moment- it's just a blip on the strategic monitor."
"The partnership here with producer Jerry Bruckheimer, who has never met a rocket-propelled grenade he doesn't like, has brought out the worst in this director: he applies music like icing, and stuffs every frame with so much texture that the effet is like wading through porridge. Right from the opening spectacle of Somalis shuffling photogenically through the heat haze, accompanied by standard-issue ethnic chanting, Black Hawk Down's sole philosophy seems to be that there's no kill like overkill."

Not my opinion, folks, I haven't seen it. I just thought a negative one was due.

Thomas H
In all good thing there have to be one bad one, it always happen! sad

Dim
Funny thing is...that's exactly how it made me feel..
Personally I think Mr. Robbin's (idiotically enough) didn't get the point of the movie at all..what made this film work so well (IMO) was that it wasn't the stardard movie with a little shooting here and a little shooting there.. but that there was shooting and fire and action though the whole thing..and that seems much more true to life to me. I mean come on...that's what happens, people are trying to kill you! They don't let up.

Scott captured how chaotic the whole situation became..which seemed to be exactly the very thing he wanted to do.

Thomas H
Have any one else seen it this weekend????

ToMacco
Jerry Bruckheimer movies are crammed full of too much action. But he has produced a few good ones.

Once I see, I'll tell it like it is! rolling on floor laughing

Dim
Well, hurry up!...I've seen 3 movies this weekend..yall need to keep up! laughing out loud

Thomas H
smile

King Jedi
I couldn't get tickets. It was sold out. This has only happened to me once before and that was for The Phantom Menace.

Dim
Yeah..happens to me all the time.. sad

Thomas H
Actually never happend to me!!
Does anyone know when BHD has its realase in Norway??? smokin'

mechmoggy
Saw it last night and the cinema was packed! Great film, lots of action and a couple of weepy bits to boot. Mrs.MM also couldn't watch that bit Dim and I was more than happy for her to cuddle up to me. big grin

Thomas H
Are the english reviews good mechmoggy??? cool

mechmoggy
Dunno, I try not to read them. Critics always have an uncanny ability to hate the movies I love, go figure. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Thomas H
Well do you know what the english people think of it??

finti
call them British as long as you dont know where in Britain they are from Thomas. Guess you would hate to be labeled a Swede.

Thomas H
How did you know, I would hated to be called a swedish citisen.
Sorry to all the people I have called English I mean British!

King Jedi
mmm......so when I go to see this ALONE , I should make sure I sit next to some women just incase they get scared. smokin'

I'd say British reviews have been mixed. I haven't spoken to any "normal" people who've seen it though.

Thomas H
Hmmm, maybe I should try that to! big grin
When will you see it Mr. Jedi?? smile

Dim
Well, I saw it alone and I wasn't cuddling up to the guy next to me..but try it if you want. laughing out loud

King Jedi
I'll try next week.

finti
That is the same experience I have had, and they love the films I really hate.
LOTR is an exeption here

mah
I seem to agree with critics allways. strange really.

Thomas H
Sorry dim, but wasent you surponsed to go with your boyfriend!
Not that it is any of my buisness, I am just curious! wink smokin'

finti
at least one have to have an open mind here big grin

Dim
We had a date but he dumped me and went and did something that he was supposed to take care of..Now he has to go see it by himself.. laughing out loud

Thomas H
smile

ToMacco
I saw it tonight. It was good, but it's nothing spectacular.

There is no character devolpment throughout the movie, we just saw that these boys were struggling to stay alive. But did we really care if they were killed or not? I know it's a true story, but it should have focused more around one person or group of persons.

It jumped around so much, I though it was quite confusing at times. And there were 10 or more main characters. That's too many.

The only time I was at the edge of my seat was when the choppers were pulling into the town before all hell broke lose. After that, the soldiars were just running from here to there, blowing everything to shit.

For people looking for an action movie, this is it. And if that is all director Ridley Scott tried to create, he accomplished it. But this movie is, by no means a "Timepiece" to be seen for generations to come. If you don't see it in the theator, rent it. You don't need to buy it.

(*** out of four stars)

Dim
I though it was quite confusing at times.

Did you ever stop to think that it was supposed to be confusing?..

Thomas H
if you read the book first (wich I have done) you get to know the caracters a little bit more, so it helps a little!
Cant wait to see it, I have to wait for over a month, ohh my God thats a long time to wait!

ToMacco
Thomas, I'm pretty sure you'll really like this movie.

Dim, why would they purposly make it confusing, so that you'd go see it again? That shouldn't be necissary. It's a good movie, but not great.

Dim
Well, they made it purposefully confusing because the situation WAS confusing and they wanted to bring that chaos across to the viewer.

Thomas H
Thats right Dim, I was a hell of a confusing situation!!!

Thomas H
An for tomacco, I REALY HOPE THAT!

Thomas H
have seen it...and its the best ever!! I simply loved it!!!10 out of a 10!!!!
If I have the time, I will post a bigger review later!!

ToMacco
I told you you'd love it

Thomas H
It was worth waiting for....
When I left the cinema, I had a weird feeling, this movie chocked me!!!
When they operate Jamie Smith, for that bulletwound, that is simply ugly.......they really went into the details here!!!
And I really think that Randy Shughart and Gary Gordon are one of the greatest heroes ever!!! They went down to that copper alone, probably knowing they would die, defending Durant and his men!!!

The best ever!!

mah
what a patriotic, one-side-view only, piece of crap

Dim
I don't think it had overly much to do with patriotism..I think it was more about giving you an eye level view about what's it like to be in a war zone.. it would apply to any of the UN peace keeping forces, I think. Besides, about 3/4 of the way through the movie your confronted with the point of view of one of the men who capture Durrant.. And I think that's done is such a way that leaves you thinking.

When did you see the movie, mah?

mah
the point is that the american soldiers are pictured as brave fine men, whilst the somalians feel like a wild, shabby pack of bastards with rabies, and with one goal only; to spread plague sickness and terror. that just makes it all wrong for me. but technically it's all good.

Thomas H
Well the thing is:
The americans where sent in because Aidid used the food as a wepon.....he stole everything, and then the americans started to **** up aidis clan, that made the somalies pissed (The once how was in his clan) And why did the somalians shot after that americans when they where there to help???
Anyway, its notr patriotic movie at all!!!

Ushgarak
Err, I rather think it is.

But as many of the people involved in the film said, it was simply not practical for the film to be a historical documentary giving you all the facts about the Somalia situation. It would have to be ten hours long for that.

As Dim says, it is simply about the experiences of those soliders.

If you want a good handfle on the truth of the situation, read the oft mentioned book.

mah
the problem for me is that I get physically ill when I see movies like this.

Dim
Yeah, me too..I think to feel otherwise indicates that you're a callous jerk.

mah
but I think we get ill on different reasons

Thomas H
Well I loved the movie!!smile
It is the best movie/warmovie ever!!!!!

ToMacco
roll eyes (sarcastic) roll eyes (sarcastic) roll eyes (sarcastic)

Thomas H
confused stick out tongue

ToMacco
It wasn't that good.

Thomas H
Thats your opinion...not mine! I loved it!!!!

Thomas H
I have seen the film three times now....Here is a short review..
The acting in the movie is rock solid, no rambo soldiers or any thing, nobody is trying to save the day alone....
The speciall effects where very good.
Ridley Scott did a fabolus job...his best ever..
I dont care about the character devolpment, i liked that they did not go to far into each actor...the would have made the movie to long....
And It was very much alike the book, wich is also by the way great!!
smile smile smile smile smile smile (Out of 6)

ToMacco
It was good, but not specatular.

It was sloppy.

Thomas H
Its a shame that it was not nominated for best picture...!!

ToMacco
No. For once the Acadamy knew what they were doing stick out tongue

Thomas H
no...!

finti
Saw it last night and it was a good action movie

ToMacco
Damn right! I said originally that it was almost a flawless action movie, but it wasn't that great on an overall basis.

Sorry Thomas.

Thomas H
nothing to say sorry for...everyone has a different opinion!

finti
I thought it to be cool, lots of action. Not a great flick but enjoyable enough smile

Sabrea
BHd, VERY good movie, im not a huge fan on blood and guts, i was able to watch the whole thing tho, i only made faces, but that may be cause i watch ER most every day, ne way, as a rating:
**** (out of five) (didnt like all the blood and guts, daddys character had some near death experiences, and JH was in it)

Thomas H
daddys?
was your father fighting there?

Sabrea
not the real war, the movie, and not my real father, dont ask...

Thomas H
[, daddys character had some near death experiences,

what do you mean about daddys character?

BackFire349
i was amazed that this movie had so much action, but i found it so boring. i dunno how they did that.

Thomas H
you crictizie me for not liking hamburger hill? ohh my GOD! hamburger hill was so one sided and boring, and some off the scenes where simply ridicolus!

BackFire349
and blawk hawk down and saving private ryan arent one sided? almost every war movie there is is one sided. with the exception of full metal jacket and platoon and a few others.

Thomas H
full metal jacket is very one sided to..but I`l agree with you on Platoon!
Anyway, my point is: Black Hawk Down rules, hamburger hill sucks!

Bad Boy
YOU BETTER BE, YOU SWEDE!!!

Only joking! stick out tongue

Fire
black hawk down was ok tho still think some scenes were too fake
especialy the end of the movie

Sabrea
like i said, not my real father, my fake father...aka ewan mcgregor, im not even related to him, and he doesnt kno me, well...technically he knos bout me, but doesnt kno me personally...

Thomas H
you mean stebbins?

Thomas H
or the real ewan?

Sabrea
uhh...my fake father in my world is ewan mcgregor if thats wat ur talkin bout, and i thought his characters name began with a 'g'

Thomas H
yea, in the movie its grimes, but that was changed because the real man (stebbins) is in Fort Launderdale (millitary prison) for child abuse! so the Pentagon decided to change the name, do you speak to Ewan often? Is he your steph dad? Sorry that I ask so much, but I think it kind a interessting to know!smile

Sabrea
not really, hes always away, off in australia or something filming...

Thomas H
well, this may be a joke but if it aint...you are lucky!

Sabrea
hes not my real father...he lives in england, i live in the states, huge difference, and the only thing he even knos bout me is that i want to talk to hayden...

Thomas H
well, how is he realted to you? thats my main question...

Sabrea
hes not

Thomas H
ok then, how do you know him...is he dating your mother?

BackFire349
he IS her mother.

Bad Boy
Now I'm confused!

Sabrea
i am not related to him..and hes not my father *ignores the 'mother' coment* and like i said, the only thing he knos bout me is that im obsessed with hayden...

Thomas H
dont worry about backfire 1899996818, he is weird!
Anyway, I still wounder how you know him.........

Sabrea
i dont kno him, ive never met him in my life...when did i say i knew him??

Thomas H
you said you he where your "daddy" ...........so how can he know that you are obssesed with hayden........

Fire
that's a point, well maybe he has some fan maila ddy or somethin' like that, and she mailed to him

Sabrea
no, i dont kno y im explaining this but...my friend has met him and hayden and natalie, she told hayden that i liked him alot, he didnt tell him that i was totally obsessed, but later on when she was talking to natalie and ewan alone, she told them that it was more like an obsesseion with hayden more than just liking him a little like she had said...and the daddy thing is just a joke, wouldnt get it, now can we please drop this ewan thing?

Thomas H
Finaly! I had the answer!

Sabrea
to wat? i dont kno him! i told u that 30 times and i had to put it in a paragraph for u to understand??...i have an urge to go watch BHD, bb in a couple hrs..........

Thomas H
I asked you what you meant by daddy, you confused me!

Anyway, enjoy bhd...THE MASTERPICE

Sabrea
my dad wont let me watch it, he doesnt like war movies that much and hes home

BackFire349
thank your father a million times, you're not missing much. pretty much constant action.

finti
which is cool once in a while

BackFire349
well if its constant its not once in a while.

finti
once in a while a constant action movie roll eyes (sarcastic)

Sabrea
y would i thank him????i loved BHD...my dad just doesnt like the way they fight cause according to him u should be standing right in front of the person when u kill them, not a distance away roll eyes (sarcastic)

Fire
it would make war a lot harder, cause I think it's easier to kill someone from 100 feet away then from 2 feet

Sabrea
i kno this...my dad is just crazy...

Fire
bwa, don't entirely disagree, it's way to teach u that todays wars are much more dangerous then they once were

and he ain't the only one that's crazy evil face

Thomas H
Your father is right in many points, if we fought that way, no sivilians would be killed, and offcoures its a gentelmans war!

Sabrea
thats just stupid tho...i say shoot em, bomb em...watever has to be done to win

Thomas H
offcourese I suport the modern way, but if they ever whant few sivis killed its the way to fight!hehe...but in war sivis always die, its no way out of it so I say, send the Delta, Rangers and Seals or bomb them to the stoneage!

Fire
well I think the war man to man like in the old days atleast had honour with it, and indeed it was a gentlemen's war,
it ain't the way to win tho, but to see how wage war, you first need to see what the goal of the war is

Thomas H
Indeed!

BackFire349
theres a debate forum for these political issues you know.

Fire
lol don't think this is political, this is militairy big difference

Thomas H
Indeed again, now lets speak about Black Hawk again, before we go to far form the topic!

Fire
lol bhd is militairy that'd be a new section militiary
anywayz in BHD, only saw it once so, how did it all start, by shooting down that damn chopper right, now question I had, is didn't the army expect rebels to have rocket launchers or what?

Thomas H
They all expected it to be an easy mission, but the somalians had spyes, and they warned the rebels and the all started fiering tiers so the millitia would get ready!
Some of the American did not even bother to put on the kevlar vests...they all though this mission would just take an hour or so..and they also thoug that the Black hawks where invincebale...so when they the first bird went down they all where socked, but now I need to leave going to bed If you whant me to tell more I can do it tomorow! smile

Fire
okie thx, so the soldiers underestimated their enemy bad mistake

Thomas H
pretty much so, it resultated in the death of 18 soldiers!
I bet that about 3-4 lives could have been saved if they had used kevlar vests! Some did, but some did not, and some got to regret that!

BackFire349
that happens in war to american soldiers often, just look at the whole vietnam war.

Thomas H
you cant even compare the wars. At that time the biggest amout did not use them, but these days all soldiers where them, but when you see what happend in somalia you might stop and think, the main reason that they did not wear kev vests was because of the heat, some of the men did not even have something under their fatigues! Just because of the heat!

Fire
well that's possible, but I think I'd take the kevlar and I think backfire ment that underestimating their enemy often happens to the americans with as example the vietnam war

Thomas H
correct!

Fire
yea black hawk down was a nice movie, but I still think they screwed up the mission

finti
well I thought the movie was ok

Thomas H
after the deadt count yes, but do remember they actually got what they wanted, the two millitary advisors to Aidid!And the movie is my fav movie number 1

Fire
I was talkin' about the dead count, but I wouldn't be a very good soldier nor strategist I think I'd be far too ruthless

Thomas H
hehe! they should had sent in Ac-30 gunships and hevyarmored veicels as the plan was, but they though that it would draw to much attention!

jayride

BackFire349
i thought it was boring as hell, so much action that it got boring.

kychesu
i thought it was ok. coulda been better.

J-ROC
I love Black Hawk Down. The action was a bit much but that doesn't make the movie bad. It was an awesome movie.

kychesu
well i wouldn't say the action was overly exaggerated .. it was probably great .. but the day i went to see it, i was really tired, and watching a serious movie just isn't right on a day like that

Thomas H
well...here I am again!! heheh....this is as i have said before simply the best movie in the world! 10 out a 10!

kychesu
jayride, i completely agree with you. the media always tells some but doesn't tell some. it's so biased

BackFire349
its not the best movie in the world

Thomas H
one of them!

finti
it was an action packed movie like I like them but I thought We were soldiers was a better movie BHD was cool though but out of the two i must say WWS

BackFire349
i never saw we were soldiers, im boycotting war movies, there way to many of them coming out, and they're all the same. they shoulda stopped making war movies after platoon, as that will never be topped.

brownie
Platoon was a great movie, but I have to say that Saving Private Ryan is at the top of the list.

finti
how would you know if you boycott them.

And this is kind of weird comming from one who likes horror movies

BackFire349
what does war movies have to do with anything

BackFire349
i mean, what do horror movies have to do with anything?

BackFire349
oh and what i mean is that im boycotting all the war movies that are gonna come out from now on, ive seen most of the ones already out, they were all just copying moments from older war movies. like platoon and full metal jacket and all those.

finti
well it s not like horror movies are stereotyped roll eyes (sarcastic). Probably the most predictable type of movies around

BackFire349
the shitty ones. and no, war movies that are made now are the most predictable movies around. they are all exactly the same. much like horror movies though, there hasnt been an inovative war movie in about 13 years

finti
we were solidiers aint, see it foryourdself

BackFire349
i saw bits and pieces, it wasnt any special.

Thomas H
ehhh, wws was not like bhd at all, bhd is far better than wws!!!

Thomas H
I though that wws was that kind a movie you would hate finti!...well i guess im wrong!smile

finti
in your opinion , but I felt WWS was a better movie. All in all they are both war movies

Thomas H
ehhh, are they? hahaha....offcource they ARE!!!!
I actually though that wws wsa kind a good my self!

finti
ther you go

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>