the worst directors ever

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Bad Boy
Who's the worst directors ever then?

Thomas H
Steven Soderberg! mad

TeCk-IcE
Lars von trier

Thomas H
Agree teck!
But soderberg is worse i realy hate his movies!!
He is overrated!!!!!! mad

ToMacco
Michael Bay

Thomas H
mad

ToMacco
Plus, Soderberg is pretty good. Traffic was great.

Thomas H
Traffic was f***ing boring...sorry my language!
And soderberg is a bad director!

mah
what the f!!!! soderbergh is brilliant!!!! traffic is a masterpiece!!!
Michael Bay is one of the worst!!!

JediOasis
Peter Jackson

ToMacco
Sorry Thomas, you lose. stick out tongue

BackFire349
id also have to say micheal bay

Bad Boy
Shut up you fools, Michael Bay is the best.

Bad Boys was amazing,
The Rock was fantastic,
Armageddon was superb and
Pearl Harbor kicked ass!

'nuff said!

King Jedi
I think LOTR saves Peter Jackson otherwise I'd have chosen him like JediOasis.

TeCk-IcE
Now, that`s true. cool

mah
Braindead is a brilliant movie...ehem..well it's at least funny smile

Thomas H
Its barindeaD! laughing out loud

King Jedi
I don't know how he convinced people to let him direct LOTR. confused

Mike Figgis is terrible as well.

finti
Aune Sand

mah
he did well, so I guess there was a reason for it (even if you didn't like it)

Ushgarak
It took him bloody ages.

Spidey-Man
Whoever directed these movies gets my vote:

Speed 2
The last two Batman movies
Waterworld

Ushgarak
Errr... could you care to tell me what you liked about the direction, in particular, of Speed 2?

Spidey-Man
the worst directors ever--I picked those movies as my ideas of the worst direction for a movie.
Confused people in this place confused.

Ushgarak
That was actually my mistake, I just missed the 'dis' off of 'disliked'

queeq
Ahem. Bad Boys was so-so. The Rock I liked. Armageddon WAAYYYYYYYYYYY over produced. And Pearl Harbor's only good bit was the attack.

Does anyone of you know any movies older than ten years??? All this stuff is so recent. Films and fil directors have been in existence for over 100 years! So if we talk about EVER, it must be the one and only Ed Wood.
*cue Gundy for the flying saucers*

finti
I hated Vision quest

queeq
Didn't see it. I guess I did right.

Thomas H
I really like war classics!!
Like: das Boot
lawrence of arabia
the guns on the Navarone!! and so on!!

Bad Boy
There's a problem here.

1) Speed 2 wasn't bad for what it was, despite some poor direction, but......

2).... Batman Forever and Batman and Robin were directed by Joel Schumacher. Yes, the films were crap but think, his aim was to make it as comical as possible, and it he did a pretty good job at that too. He forgot to add entertainment though!

3) Waterworld- Costner locked director Kevin Reynolds out of the editing room so it didn't look like what the director intended!

Dim
Yeah..if Costner's involved you might as well turn in your popcorn and leave.

queeq
I liked Waterworld...

TeCk-IcE
Yeah....Waterworld is pretty good!

It`s getting better every time I watch it.

King Jedi
I always liked it. It's just Mad Max on water.

I don't like Tarantino. Or Luc Besson (apart from Leon).

TeCk-IcE
I fully agree.....It is very very very very Mad max on the water
smile

Thomas H
I agree, waterworld was quite good!!

King Jedi
Micheal Winner

newmmz
im sorry, when deemed "the worst director ever" by the golden turkey awards, Ed Wood wins hands down

pr1983
Paul W.S. Anderson...

i hate the ba*tard...

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0027271/

Wolfie
Originally posted by Bad Boy
Shut up you fools, Michael Bay is the best.

Bad Boys was amazing,
The Rock was fantastic,
Armageddon was superb and
Pearl Harbor kicked ass!

'nuff said!
After reading this list, I would have to go with Michael Bay now.

SlipknoT
Originally posted by newmmz
im sorry, when deemed "the worst director ever" by the golden turkey awards, Ed Wood wins hands down HOLY SHIT!!! someone used the search button eek!

pr1983
Originally posted by Wolfie
After reading this list, I would have to go with Michael Bay now.

laughing

el barto_1
Joel Schumacher is the worst director ever and still they lot him direct phantom of the opera mad

Myth
Why does Michael Bay get to keep on making movies?
I guess Pearl Harber sucked... just a little bit more than I miss you.

Jackie Malfoy
I would have to say the girl who directed "Losed in Tranlation" she has no way directing skills what so ever.and the guy who did the hp movies is also a bad director.JMmovcamera

ragesRemorse
Ok, you guys almost got this right with micheal bay, but bay is still no where near a horrible as bruckhiemer. Jerry bruckhiemer is the worst director EVER.

MildPossession
Some of you seem to be just naming people because you dislike their work, not because they are a bad/the worst director, Luc Besson is obviously not a BAD director, he has skill in directing, as does Quentin Tarantino.

Fair enough if you don't like the films they make, nothing wrong with that. But saying someone can't direct when, meh, they obviously can is silly in my eyes.

MetallicaT
wes craven

Pirate Lover$$$
Who directed "Crossroads" my friend loves the film and i HATE it!!
Who can create such awful directing!!!

Wolfie
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
Ok, you guys almost got this right with micheal bay, but bay is still no where near a horrible as bruckhiemer. Jerry bruckhiemer is the worst director EVER.
It's to my understanding that Bruckheimer is a producer, not a director.

MildPossession
You are correct.

jaden101
any director who does straight to tv late night erotic thrillers needs severely beaten...cause all of those movies are total shit...you know the ones i mean...the cheap trash that shannon docherty starred in post beverly hills 90210

jaden101
Originally posted by MetallicaT
wes craven

how can you possibly think that wes craven is shit

the people under the stairs
nightmare on elm street
last house on the left
the hills have eyes
vampire in brooklyn (one of the best comedies ever)
shocker

these are all classics

WindDancer
Indeed is a pity that Michael Bay hasn't directed anything good since The Rock. Worst Director would be Uwe Boll.

Cinemaddiction
Originally posted by jaden101
how can you possibly think that wes craven is shit

the people under the stairs
nightmare on elm street
last house on the left
the hills have eyes
shocker

these are all classics

Speaking out of opinion, naturally, but the movies you mentioned really shouldn't be considered when debating his legacy.

"People Under the Stairs" was camp crap, and I've found both "Hills" and "Last House" to be horribly overrated. Why you included "Vampire" and "Shocker" of all movies, forgetting the more fitting "Scream" and "Serpent and the Rainbow", is beyond me.

His 90's cheese is easily dismissable, and like Carpenter, his little resurgence was short lived.

Pandemoniac
Don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but how about Hoopers job on 'The Mangler'?? And that was made after TCM and Poltergeist. Come on, it was like my sister gave a swing at making a Twilight Zone episode. That must have been a bribe and old Tobe did it in a weekend just for the cash so they could strap his name to the whole thing.

Wolfie
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
Speaking out of opinion, naturally, but the movies you mentioned really shouldn't be considered when debating his legacy.

"People Under the Stairs" was camp crap, and I've found both "Hills" and "Last House" to be horribly overrated. Why you included "Vampire" and "Shocker" of all movies, forgetting the more fitting "Scream" and "Serpent and the Rainbow", is beyond me.

His 90's cheese is easily dismissable, and like Carpenter, his little resurgence was short lived.
How someone defending Wes Craven can not mention Scream is beyond me.

MetallicaT
Originally posted by jaden101

you can't be serious....

ragesRemorse

Wes craven is a whore

ragesRemorse
It's to my understanding that Bruckheimer is a producer, not a director.

Bruckhiemer is a producer, but i refer to him as the "director" . All producers have stipulations, but none so much as Bruckhiemer. If a film is going to be produced by Bruckhiemer it is going to be a bruckiemer flick, all the same shitty cheap camera angles, and childish editing.

Rockula23
Joel Schumacher was going to be my reply to this but I looked at his list and found several films of his that I actually liked. I just don't think he should have been allowed to touch the Batman series.

I feel like Vincent Gallo is probably the worst director around today. His films are incredibly self serviant and only serve to add to the ego that he has built around himself to tell him that he is an intellectual genius, when in reality he's just disturbed. Nothing interesting ever seems to come from putting myself through the tourture of watching his films.

By the way, I truely believe that Ed Wood was exactly what he set out to be. He peobably could have made better films but I think he realized his legacy would be longer and more interesting by going in the opposite direction and now look. We're still talking about him.

MildPossession
I thought Buffalo '66 was rather good. Gallo's film.

BlondeBombshell
I agree that Ed Wood was bad, but so bad that it's funny/campy... So it's not TRULY bad...

I never really understood the Tarantino humor myself... I don't get that yuppie uncool humor at all.

But the worst director? I mean, sometimes I LIKE bad films. Like Showgirls is probably one of the worst films ever made, but it's really FUNNY... And that was Verhoeven, but I thought Basic Instinct was good...

Cinemaddiction
Verhoeven? How about Total Recall, Robocop, and Starship Troopers? He's a VERY important Sci Fi director, the likes of which will def. be remembered for the 3 aforementioned flicks.

bilb
Renny Harlin.. the man cant make a decent movie to save his life

MildPossession
Harlins' The Long Kiss Goodnight was a fun movie.

Soth
I agree with Renny Harlin. Die Hard 2 and Deep Blue sea were both terrible

Stokely
Originally posted by KJ
I think LOTR saves Peter Jackson otherwise I'd have chosen him like JediOasis.

He directed a film for fun out of his own pocket with friends that turned out to be a huge hit that's being watched all over the world today. It still sh.s all over films of today which is even sadder. That's an accomplishment that would "save" him.

jaden101
Originally posted by MetallicaT
you can't be serious....

indeed i am serious...

"benefits?...what benefits?...benefit my ****ing ears back on man"

classic

jaden101

i didnt mention scream because personally i thought it was a big steaming tugboat of a dump...

but thats my opinion

i love the cheese of wes cravens work especially when they wear that cheese with unabashed pride...just like shocker...

Andrew McLeod
Originally posted by Stokely
He directed a film for fun out of his own pocket with friends that turned out to be a huge hit that's being watched all over the world today. It still sh.s all over films of today which is even sadder. That's an accomplishment that would "save" him.

lol, I just watched Bad Taste last night and wondered who the hell would let the director of that movie to do LOTR. It was funny though, extreme gore is always funny.

Joel Schumacher would've had my vote but Phantom of the Opera was well directed (aside from a few os his usual touches like the tilted camera and reversing the film repeatedly).

Uwe Boll wins, no matter what.

As for Tarantino, I think he's one of the most brilliant directors but a lot of people aren't too sure. He's ahead of his time.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Rockula23
Joel Schumacher was going to be my reply to this but I looked at his list and found several films of his that I actually liked. I just don't think he should have been allowed to touch the Batman series.

Thats how I feel about Tim Burton.He has made some good films before such as Edward Scisoorhands and Ed Wood but batman was not one of them so I dont think he should have been allowed to touch them either.I also think he sucks as a director because in every film he makes,he always cast the same people for the leads only because he feels comfortable working with them.He does not care about making the best casting choices possible so Tim Burton is someone I would for sure list.

another director I think really sucks is I forget his name but he directed that movie about aliens invading earth that mel gibson was in a couple years ago.Every movie I have seen of his I thought really sucked so he would defenitely be on that list as well.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by el barto_1
Joel Schumacher is the worst director ever and still they lot him direct phantom of the opera mad

Obviously he's not since he has made some pretty good movies before and he turned out to be a great choice since Phamton was a pretty damn good movie.

Cinemaddiction
Originally posted by Mr Parker

Thats how I feel about Tim Burton.He has made some good films before such as Edward Scisoorhands and Ed Wood but batman was not one of them so I dont think he should have been allowed to touch them either.I also think he sucks as a director because in every film he makes,he always cast the same people for the leads only because he feels comfortable working with them.He does not care about making the best casting choices possible so Tim Burton is someone I would for sure list.

another director I think really sucks is I forget his name but he directed that movie about aliens invading earth that mel gibson was in a couple years ago.Every movie I have seen of his I thought really sucked so he would defenitely be on that list as well.

He redeemed himself with "Batman Returns", IMO. There's also "The Nightmare Before Christmas".

The other director you're looking for is M. Night Shymalan, whom I love. Just because you didn't like the movie doesn't mean he sucks. It's his directing that is in question here, not the substance of the film itself.

Lord Shadow Z
Mines Stephen Sommers, he's a waste of space. I liked The Mummy but the sequel was awful and then he made Van Helsing which I didn't have to watch to know how terrible it is. And George Lucas... I don't really need to explain do I? Sam Raimi also for his disgusting Spider-man films.

belbel300
Right !! All you people out there that think Peter Jackson is a rubbish director can **** off cause you're all sad.
Personally I think its that Micheal Winner guy on those adverts. GOD hes soooooo annoying

MildPossession
Belbel it's their opinion, don't go off on one just because someone doesn't like a director you do.

newmmz
Originally posted by Rockula23
By the way, I truely believe that Ed Wood was exactly what he set out to be. He peobably could have made better films but I think he realized his legacy would be longer and more interesting by going in the opposite direction and now look. We're still talking about him.

No, Ed wood aspired to be one of the best. His films however were terrible because he was dirt poor and a shitty director. He had no idea he would have a legacy, in fact he died very young with a drinking problem because his life had become so depressing.

Darth Jello
Michael Bay Ed Wood Mark steven johnson

Cinemaddiction
Originally posted by Lord Shadow Z
Sam Raimi also for his disgusting Spider-man films.

What of Raimi's directing would you change in the "Spider-Man" films? Like I said, people tend to be more hung up on the stories than the actual direction. What about "Evil Dead" or "A Simple Plan"? Those were beautifully directed, IMO, and I'd hope I'm not alone in saying so.

Lucas, however, I'm with you most of the way.

Tex

Wes Anderson
Joel Schumacher

mah
What the holy... Wes Anderson is one of my favourite directors.

tabby999
i dont understand the lack of love for Joel Schumacher gets, i mean 8mm, Phone Booth and Flat Liners and they were all amazing movies

Lord Shadow Z
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
What of Raimi's directing would you change in the "Spider-Man" films? Like I said, people tend to be more hung up on the stories than the actual direction. What about "Evil Dead" or "A Simple Plan"? Those were beautifully directed, IMO, and I'd hope I'm not alone in saying so.

Lucas, however, I'm with you most of the way.

Raimi's directing in the Spiderman films was just too simple, it wasn't really imaginative enough. He didn't the best out of the actors because I felt they were the wrong ones cast. He didn't get the best out of the story because visually it was the wrong way to explore the story of Spider-Man. He made it too happy, and sappy. The scenes with Peter and Mary-Jane made me want to throw up because they looked like they were from a Disney cartoon. The..STOP!

But anyway, yes , The Evil Dead movies were well done by Raimi and I was entertained by them, Army of Darkness being my favourite.

BlackC@t
He said he made the shots simple because people go there to see Spider-Man, not interesting camera shots. I agree with Sam.

Uwe Boll (or whatever) is by far the worst director ever.

Lord Shadow Z
Originally posted by BlackC@t
I agree with Sam.

Well thats obvious...

Mr Parker
Originally posted by tabby999
i dont understand the lack of love for Joel Schumacher gets, i mean 8mm, Phone Booth and Flat Liners and they were all amazing movies

I agree with you that 8mm and Flatliners were amazing movies.Especially Flatliners,thats my favorite movie from the 90's.Yeah I think its unfair the criticisem Schumacher is getting as well because he has made quite a few good movies that also should be mentioned such as The Phantom of the opera,St Elmo's Fire,The Client and A Time to Kill.

Bad Boy
WHHOOAAAAA!!!! How long has this thread been reserrected??? This was my first ever post, back in 2002 big grin Ah my 6th form days!!!

Hmmm so I said Michael Bay was the best director ever..... ok ok, I'm wrong!!! Being a film uni student now and knowing a shit load more about film than back then, Mr Bay is FAR from the best!

I still don't think it's fair to brand him the worst ever director tho. If you don't like his films then I just think it's down to opinion. I personally think Pearl Harbor had some horrible moments and some genius moments! Besides, when he first came out, his style had never been seen before in cinemas.

But thats all down to my opinion!

However I really don't think its fair to brand him worst ever director! Can anyone here actually believe that directors such as Paul WS Anderson, Steven Sommers, Uwe Boll, John R. Leonetti, Sam Weisman or Nigel Dick are better than Michael Bay???

Cinemaddiction
Originally posted by BlackC@t
He said he made the shots simple because people go there to see Spider-Man, not interesting camera shots. I agree with Sam.

But Sam Raimi has a signature style that he just can't abandon altogether, atleast he didn't with the Doc Ock surgery scene in SM2.

Uwe Boll? I don't see why everyone takes pride in bashing him. He's got 2 movies that are recognizable here in the States, and while they are both crap, there have got to be far worse directors that are actually notorious for directing awful flicks.

Cinemaddiction
I like most of Bay's work. Consider what he directs, action flicks, right? It's total eye candy, and a lot of the times, the actors are very cliche, patriotic, and save the day. Looking for dramatic performances outside the usual harrowing ending is like panning for gold in a sewage drain.

Sometimes people just expect either too much from someone, or something that was never supposed to be there in the first place.

bakerboy
Weird thread, all the directors have good and bad movies, except some very weird and few cases.

moviejunkie23
sorry guys but no number of movies on the caliber of flatliners can save him from the fact he almost derealed the entire batman series!!!! Thats just wrong! He did enough damage in just two movies in my opinion to make him one of the worst regardless of flatliners.

well for pure direction i would have to say Kevin Smith. He is a terrible director. I am not talking abotu his scripts or his good picks of actors, i am talking about pure directing ability.

For crappy films i would have to say Spike Lee. That guy has the most horrible movies and is such a reverse racist.

For being overrated i would have to say Spielberg. He has a couple movies i like including saving private ryan but overall his movies are just not thyat great!!! and he is esteemed to be like the best ever, it kinda steams me a tad.

Red Superfly
I can't say Schumacher is that bad. He blew me away with Phone Booth.

After I watched it I was like "This is from the guy who did Batman & Robin - how the hell?".

Just keep him away from franchise movies and he's good.

And even though I think Batman Forever is a crappy Batman movie (as far as it mirrors the spirit of Batman), I still watch it. Theres something fun about it, and Godammit, I want to hate it, I know its WRONG, but I can't help but enjoy it. Even though Jones' Two Face and Carreys' Riddler are two different versions of The Joker, and Robin is way too old and should be Nightwing, I still like it. I don't know why.

MildPossession
I don't think he is one of the worst, but I couldn't stand his movie She Hate Me. Terrible.

OB1-adobe
Originally posted by Red Superfly
I can't say Schumacher is that bad. He blew me away with Phone Booth.

After I watched it I was like "This is from the guy who did Batman & Robin - how the hell?".

Just keep him away from franchise movies and he's good.

And even though I think Batman Forever is a crappy Batman movie (as far as it mirrors the spirit of Batman), I still watch it. Theres something fun about it, and Godammit, I want to hate it, I know its WRONG, but I can't help but enjoy it. Even though Jones' Two Face and Carreys' Riddler are two different versions of The Joker, and Robin is way too old and should be Nightwing, I still like it. I don't know why.

Comic book movie directors get the most shit out of all directors, only second to people like the Wachiowskis and George Lucas. Personally I would leave people like that out of this discussion. It only brings circle arguments. One man or woman cannot be held personally responsible for the legions of people saying:

"YOUR DOING IT WRONG!!!!!!!!!!! mad "

I used to think Shumacher was an idiot too, until I found out he did 'A time to kill' 'flatliners', and 'Lost boys'

Its hard to judge their talents, partially because a lot of other individuals go into making a film.

Who would have thought the director of 'the frightners' (another one of my all time fave movies), would go on to direct LOTR and win academy awards.

tabby999
yeah The Frighteners is a quality movie. evey time i watch it though, it feels awfully short though...dunno why?

Red Superfly
The Frighteners was one of those movies I thought was a total surprise film.

It's one of those films you never usually look at, but when you see it you think "why didn't I see this sooner?" - like Equilibrium, the original Final Destination, Blade I and Phone Booth.

BOPRecruit 16
Robert Rodriequez

I feel that out of all the Rodriequez movies that I've seen, I think that Desperado was his best.

Cinemaddiction
I love "Desperado", but there's no way in hell it touches "Sin City", IMO.

MildPossession
I keep seeing IMO, what is that?

I loved Desperado also.

Cinemaddiction
IMO is shorthand for In My Opinion.

BlazingBarrells
Originally posted by KJ
I always liked it. It's just Mad Max on water.

I don't like Tarantino. Or Luc Besson (apart from Leon).

lol i also want to kill Paul WS Anderson, AVP had so much potential i cant even put it into words, i also am very much disliking David Goyer as of B Trinity. That movie should have upped the franchise ten fold from the first two. It was crap. I hated it, and to me it was never made. I think waterworld was a great fun movie. and Kevin Reynolds is an amazing director. I for one like Michael Bay. I love his work. His action movies are awesome. I didnt like Bad Boys and the editing in Armageddon. Way to choppy but a hella good movie. and Joel Shumacher or however you spell it is a great director, bu for some reason did Batman and Robin, which was a disgrace. I believe someone kidnapped him during the production of that television movie. and how could you not like tarantino. he is killer. oh YEAH AND I HATE UWE BOLL. wow who ever gave him a camera was retarded. hmmm, and steven soderberg is tight. his movies are totally original. traffic was boring but looked really well made. thats nough for now

ZomBiE_HunTER
Uwe Boll is the WORST!!! He takes good video games and turn them into the crappiest movies ever like House of the Dead and Alone in the Dark.

BlazingBarrells
exactly i think everyone agrees with us zombie hunter. UWE BOLL should be put down. very painfully. his new movie blooderayne has michael madsen and i love him, i wonder why people do his movies, they must see something. but i sure as sh%t cant and wont, ever, cause he is the worst director ever.

*LEGATO*
Probably the director from the movie "Medallion"

Far out man.. I was suprised that a movie expected to be good was so bad..

SeptemberRain
John Wu ( director of Mission Impossible 2, i beleiev)

ZomBiE_HunTER
I think John Woo is one of the BEST directors out there.

BlazingBarrells
lol they obviously dont even know who or what he does because john WOO not wu IS one of the best directors ever!!

MildPossession
That was horrendous, poor Jackie Chan. It was directed by Gordan Chan.

Actually SeptemberRain was right, he is also known as John WU. But yes, definitely not one of the worst, have you even seen his Asian films rain?!

IceWithin
Uwe Ball!! god he SUCKS!!

SeptemberRain
Originally posted by MildPossession
Actually SeptemberRain was right, he is also known as John WU. But yes, definitely not one of the worst, have you even seen his Asian films rain?!

well he was the one who directed Mission Impossible 2 right? Cuz that flick was awful. Maybe i shouldnt base my opinion of him on that one film

no i havent seen any of his asian films?

MildPossession
No you shouldn't base someone on one movie. Mi:2 was far from worse though. Check out his films before he came to direct in America.

SeptemberRain
ok, i will do that

PIZZA WARRIOR
The Worst director of all time...

Ed Wood, Jr.

BENDER_17
Dr. Uwe Bohl (house of the dead, alone in the dark)

he should be get shot
i think everyone agrees smile

WindDancer
Originally posted by ZomBiE_HunTER
I think John Woo is one of the BEST directors out there.

Ditto, except his recent films do suck. He should go back to Hong Kong and work on some police drama's. He really is very good with those films.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.