Passion the life of Christ

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

pooh0711
Happy Dance Who in here thinks Passion will be the greatest movie of all times????

I can't wait for the opening day FEB. 25, 2004 big grin

God Bless Mel Gibson for his courage to make such a movie that other people are afraid to even approach. God will Bless him!!!!!!!! big grin

SaTsuJiN
Im not sure if it'll be the 'greatest movie of all time' simply because its about Jesus. I mean if you like Jesus then it simply becomes an opinion.

I think its going to be good, since mel gibson doesnt do that many bad movies, but yes, his courage is commendable for touching down on this very taboo subject. Then again this movie might string along a new wave of Jesus movies lol stick out tongue

roundisfunny
Yeah, maybe the subsequent Jesus movies won't be censored by the you-know-who's, though. What am I saying? Of course they will!

mad

Cinemaddiction
Hmm. Not since "The Ten Commandments" has any movie containing Biblical accounts made any kind ripple in the Box Office.

I like Mel Gibson and all, but I don't know where he's going with this one.

roundisfunny
There have been at least a few since then to make a ripple:

"The Ten Commandments" (1956)
"Ben-Hur" (1959)
"King of Kings" (1961)
"The Greatest Story Ever Told" (1965)
"King David" (1985)
"The Last Temptation of Christ" (1988)

There were also a dozen or so made-for-TV movies with Biblical themes ("Jacob" and "Esther" are a couple of recent examples).

Now, while these films aren't generally box-office blockbusters, there is a pretty consistent flow of biblical epics from time to time, and they are at least moderately popular among mainstream movie-watchers.

As for Gibson's motivation, he has said all along it is because of his devout Catholic beliefs. He has been attacked relentlessly by "those opposed" since the very beginning, and after much muckraking and backstabbing, they actually did manage to take out a line that they thought would make them look bad.

What makes them look bad is that "they" use any and all means to denounce and ridicule anyone who dares to recount history accurately, even if it means de-bunking the myth that "they" are all blameless angels who can do no wrong.

I applaud Gibson's stand, and regret that he had to make any sort of compromise to appease those scum.

Cinemaddiction
I'll meet you half way there, since you kind of proved my point.

Fatis77
This movie will turn the non believers in believers.
Yes, it will be a hit at the box offices, no doubts for that,
I personally saw the trailer and I was impressed!

Iirima
yes

VengeanceGOD
I'm sorry, there's no way this movie can concievably make any money. I'll prolly see it, but I doubt I'll like it.

Besides the actor playing Christ got struck by lightning at least TWICE while on set. What does that tell you? smile

SaTsuJiN
ah yes, the sacreligious prattle begins...

Dogbert
mel is taking a big chance directing this movie... he better hope this dun bomb... erm

Edit- I just saw the trailer, it dusn't look bad, it seems like it will turn out well

silver_tears
The trailer looks great big grin
and the actor who plays christ is the same actor who plays the count of monte cristo and I loved his perfermance there big grin

Fallen Jedi
might see it next weekend.

chez
I wouldn't describe "them" as "scum", but other than that, I'd have to agree with you completely. yes

Evil Dead
yes..........that did seem rather racist to refer to "they" as scum......when it was quite clear that "they" is in reference to the Jews, who were the ones making the big hoopla about the movie. So Jews are scum now? Get out of here with your racist crap.

I actually look forward to this movie. I bet dollars to pesos that it will fail miserably..........but it looks to be a good flick.

BackFire
I'm kinda curious about it.

roundisfunny
Looks like I touched a nerve, Evil Dead. Sorry if I offended your people, but it seems like that's not very hard to do these days.

Besides, I never said that Jews were scum (I'm quite fond of the Coen brothers, as you see below). I said that those trying to wreck Mel's career were scum, because they're using their power to badmouth Mel for being historically accurate.

Before you start labelling me a racist...I don't have a problem with all Jews...just the ones who think their religion gives them carte blanche to be insufferable ball-busters who are above criticism.

Punker69
is movie is going to be good at the box office just because its probaly one of the most talked about movies right now.And people are giving it so much publicity and calling it a awesome movie.And by the trailers it looks like its gonna be better than any other movie made about god.I think its gonna be awesome.I think it will make over 200 million.

Lord Soth
I personally don't care. It's just a crappy religious movie that will cause uneeded controversy and problems. I could easily do w/o it

ancietwisdom
wink I think it will be a wonderful story.
I love movies with spirituality and wisdom! I like Mel Gibson and the
movies he has starred in. This movie will be really good. big grin

finti
I love it when there comes a controversial films about christianity, to put a light on the biggest hoax of all time

BackFire
Making a foolish generalization of a group of people as "scum" is obviously going to offend alot of people. Especial when it's worded in a vague manner as it was in your prior post. Don't let this turn into a religious debate, they serve no relevant purpose other then annoying most people involved.

finti
that is actually a good description of religions

BackFire
uh oh! here comes the hatred! stick out tongue

finti
no , I just thought it was a brilliant definition of religions

BackFire
Actually I was reffering too the flames that you will get from religious fanatics over that post.

finti
cant wait

botankus
Just go see the movie and shut up!!

mook
avoiding the fact that all religion is a culturally accepted delusion im impressed that Gibson is making this film and the way he is making it - in the languages they were likely to speak etc.

could be interesting.

roundisfunny
Are you even paying attention, Backfire? This is the second time now I've had to explain that I wasn't referring to all Jews as "scum", just the ones attacking Mel. Out of politeness, I didn't even mention the word "Jew" until someone else did.

On "The Passion" website, there is a link to an article by Jewish journalist Michael Medved, who says that all of the complaining by Jewish groups is more likely to inspire anti-Semitism than anything in the movie.

And yet, many are so indignant and shocked when someone actually does point out the folly of the movie's Jewish opponents (or the attack on the USS Liberty, or the death of Rachel Corrie). For too long, many Jews have used their religion (and particularly their past persecution) as a crutch to avoid any criticism by anyone for any reason.

Besides, there is a clear double standard when it comes to saying negative things about religions. Stereotypes of fat, stupid Southern preachers or child-molesting Catholic priests are a dime a dozen in the movies; but when was the last time a Rabbi was mocked or held up to ridicule in a major motion picture?

Darth Revan
Well said. thumb up

you know what's funny I heard that the guy playing Jesus got struck by lightning three times while he was filming that movie
could be just a rumor though

BackFire
I know what you meant by your post, you simply worded in a vague manner, making it easy to to mistake it as a bash at all the jews, not just the ones protesting the film. Next time just be careful of your wording.

As for the rest of your post, it is filled with many good points, however, they can't be discussed in this thread, or on this website for that matter. Religious discussion is not allowed here, as it usually ends up doing nothing but causing problems. This thread is for discussion of the passion film, not the how jewish people are portrayed in films, or anything of the sort.

I'm actually very skeptical of this movie now, I think it may use its hype as a crutch to get people in the chairs, making a movie about jesus will entice many people, whether or not the film actually delevers is still too be seen, it will definately be interesting though.

Tired Hiker
I don't think I'll go see this movie. I mean, after all, I'm scarred from years and years of mom dragging me to boring Church. Why would I want to see this film?

SaTsuJiN
I just recently watched the trailer, and I must say it looks very powerful. Musical score doesnt sound bad either

heres the official site with trailer and all http://www.thepassionofthechrist.com/splash.htm

finti
back to the movie

Tired Hiker
Passion The Life Of Christ sounds like a new Sobe drink.

SaTsuJiN
Im sure they'll be forcing highschool students everywhere to watch it. Aside from that, the trailer shows this movie to be very promising

finti
why should high school students be forced to watch it?

botankus
I don't think they'll be forcing any high school students to watch it, but there are a lot of churches renting out multi-plexes for their congregations on opening night (Feb. 25).

mook
to get them all fired up up with religious righteousness before they shoot up their school?

SaTsuJiN
You know how highschool is, especially the week before exam time when they have nothing for the students to do, but they still want to get paid for thier attendance. lol @ the congregations, I think thats kinda silly. Who wants to go with your church to watch a movie? thats pretty biggoted if ya ask me. Oh well, hope its as good as the trailer permits us to think

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.