Vader and the droids

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Xantos Clone
funny thought....

do you think vader ever looks at the droids in the OT and thinks to himself "hey, it's R2 and 3po..."

or in ESB, he looks at 3po in pieces on chewe's back and thinks "wow! what the heck happend to mom's protocal droid I built man!!"

he has to know who they are!

how about R2 getting shot by vader's ship in ANH (R2 is like..."thanks alot anakin!!! I can't believe I was your pal!!"

woh...I need to get out more!!! hehe

King Jedi
Remember the scene at the end of ESB when Chewie howls and Boba Fett raises his gun? Vader holds him back and tells him not to shoot. It might have been because C3-Po was on Chewbaccas back.

Xantos Clone
see!!! now your talkin' !!!! yes I do remember that and I was going to post that too!! darn...anyway, I was thinking that he either did not want fett to hit solo by mistake or maybe he had soft spot for chewi...

maybe anakin will run into chewi in the prequals....chewi could be old enough....right?

good one KJ!!!

King Jedi
I would still say it was because 3po was on his back. He probably didn't recognise R2 as there would be thousands of droids that look the same.smile

Darth Daft
Personally, I just think that it's for the plain reason that nearly all protocol and astromech droids look the same, except for different colours of course.
C-3PO and R2 are never actually told that Darth Vader is the same guy as Anakin. That's probably why they don't notice him and say "Hey, Anakin, it's me! Remember me?"

King Jedi
But Vader might still recognise them.

Dim
It's possible..but I think that he probably doesn't.

Darth Daft
He never actually goes right up close to them and speaks to them. If he actually spoke to C-3PO then I'm sure he'd recognise him.

Gundark
If Vader (as Anakin) isn't the one to eventually put coverings on 3po, then how the heck would he recognize him later in the OT ? I mean, say Anakin goes back to free Shmi and 3po still has no coverings, ends up in somebody else's hands, gets coverings, and Anakin never sees him ? Or his original coverings are not gold, get changed along the way (into gold), then Vader still wouldn't know him in the OT. As for R2, Vader kind of has his hands full force feeding (get it, FORCE !!) the empire to everybody so that taking time to say "hows it going, R2 ?, by the way I have to have those death star plans back, if you don't mind".

Mace23
I think it's simply the large number of droids with the same appearance. Just an example but if you saw a car you owned 10 years ago would you know it's yours if it passed you on the road? Probably not. With the limited amount of exposure Vader had with the droids in the OT I see no reason he would recognize them. What bugs me more is why Ben didn't have any recollection of them. He says "I don't recall ever owning any droids" so I guess you could say he never owned them but you would think he would at least remember them seeing as how much they will go thru together in the prequels.

Xantos Clone
Mace...that has been bugging me for a long time too!

maybe he was too old and loosing his memory...no...that's not it!!....hmmmm.....there is no way GL could make a mistake like that...could there be a reason..?...I think the key word is "OWN"..."I don't recall ever 'owning' a droid...

It would have made sense if Ben was like "R2D2...wow! your still around?....where is your pesky sidekick 3po???"...

I think we can all asume that 3po had his memory erased or parts of his memory banks deleted or something...who knows!!!

Darth Daft
If he had have said "Ah, I remember you two," Luke would have become too interested and would have kept asking loads of questions, so Ben just stayed discreet and secretive about things.

Dim
Yeah, you're probably right about that, it seems like something Ben would do...

Jedimaster3838
Lucas has said over and over again that this would all be explained in the next two films. I think C-3PO and R2-D2 will have apart of their memories erased, perhaps because they knew Anakin so well, and because the droids do not recognize Ben in the OT and droids cannot forget something like that. R2 says that he is the property of OB1 but he doesn't recognize him after he scares off the Tuskens. As far as Anakin not remembering, perhaps he does, he is Darth Vader, he doesn't care about anything, until the end of course.

Darth Daft
There are supposed to be about 20 years between Episode 3 and 4, so perhaps most of the characters change so much that it makes it difficult for them to recognise each other.

King Jedi
I still love the idea of R2 never having his memory erased so he knows everything.

Darth Daft
Me too. I really don't want either of the two Droids to have their memories wiped.

Dim
Actually I would love it if R2 knew everything and 3P0 didn't have a clue...just because he thinks he knows it all.

Darth Daft
Heh heh, yeah that would explain a lot about the way they are so opposite to each other.

King Jedi
That is what I like as well and mayber that's why R2 seems to know where he is going on Tatooine but 3PO doesn't have a clue.

Darth Daft
Ya know, that's acually quite a good point there KJ. I never thought of that. That kind of shows that R2-D2 will return to Tatooine in Episode 2 and/or 3, as he wouldn't exactly know his way around just because of where he went in Episode 1. Perhaps he'll see where Obi-Wan's home is and that's how he knows where to go.
Then again, perhaps Leia just gives him maps of the planet within the data she puts inside him.

Dim
I think that might be an interesting bit to keep in mind..I think it is very possible that R2 remembers Tatooine quite well.

Darth Daft
What about other planets? Do you think he may go to Dagobah at some point? Did he kind of lead Luke towards Yoda in TESB, or was Luke leading the way?

King Jedi
I don't know about Degobah but back to Tatooine, Leia wouldn't have known where Obi-Wans house was. He was a Jedi in hiding so I don't think he would tell people his address.

Darth Daft
So how did she know he was even on Tatooine? Did she just drop R2 onto Tatooine, just because it was right below them?

King Jedi
Bail Organa would have known he was on Tatooine but not the exact location.

Jedimaster3838
Perhaps Bail Organa did know where Ben lived, they were very good friends. Maybe OB1 told him in case of some kind of emergency with Leia. How else would Leia have found him at she made it to Tatooine?

Darth Daft
Good points there. Bail Organa could indeed have some connection with the knowledge of where Obi-Wan lives. They were certainly friends after all, as they fought alongside each other during the clone wars.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.