Podracing II

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

LanceWindu
Can you believe there is actually going to be podracing in AOTC? Go over to starwars.com and go to the Jedi Council where they answer questions from fans. One guy asked if there was going to be a podrace sequence in AOTC. The answer was Yes.

TeCk-IcE

LanceWindu
What is flaklypa?

Phanekim
personally i would have liked to have seen something new. podracing...eh...its been done :P.

LanceWindu
Yeah but maybe it will be even better this time.

TeCk-IcE

yerssot
well, it's only going to be in the background, I think, probably on Tatooine again...

LanceWindu
Most likely, but it would be cool if it was on one of the planets listed in the Episode I: Racer game

Ushgarak
Or the sequel.

Well, that has to be the most succint JC answer ever! But I agree, this is almost certainly a background detail.

LanceWindu
I just want to know if they mention it at all in the movie.

Maybe Anakin takes Padme there to watch a race.

mah
good chance for that

LanceWindu
It most likely won't happen but it would be nice if it would

yerssot
I bet for Tatooine like I said in my first post...

you can't expact to podrace in the rain or on a planet that likes to kill Jedi...

LanceWindu
True but I thought they don't start to kill the Jedi until after Palpy says that he is the Emperor.

yerssot
well, they already have a form of entertainment there smile so two won't be fair

LanceWindu
Two won't be fair for what? Two races on the same planet in the same movie series?

yerssot
and two Jedis on Tatooine is fair?

ToMacco
If they have another Pod race, that's dumb. That can't be true.

Ushgarak
Well, pods will definitely be seen, the sirte says so and it wouldn't give an answer like that without being certain.

But they are almost certainly just a background etail; we won;t be following a whole race again

yerssot
think that there will be only two orso in the background

because nobody knew this, we can say the pods are clearly cg

Kane_Starkiller
I think at the end of the day, if the intention was for there to be another huge pod race sequence in attack of the clones

a) we'd know about it by now
b) the official site would have said more than just "yes"

The pod race was a lengthy, well thought out sequence, intented to pad out episode 1, because it was a bit thin. It rocked, fans loved it, and it's a cool thing to put in the background and reference in episode 2.

My guess is it'll be on tatooine again, and it'll last maybe 2 seconds. Maybe we'll get to see some cameos from TPM's pod racers (or did they ALL die??). Quadronaero getting past the starting line for eg, or maybe Sebulba zooming by.

bythewaysebulbarocks

Ushgarak
Actually, Kane, quite a few people here disliked the pod race. I am sure they will comment sooner or later!

We didn't see all the racers die, so they could easily have lived.

yerssot
Here I am already! smile

BTW; that blue little creature that crashed in the cave? He sort of survives... (you can see him getting carried away by two pitdroids)
so I think everyone survived it

Kane_Starkiller
oh! I apologise.

I take the pod race and the darth maul duel to be the redeeming features of TPM. I guess, that's my opinion anyway. A lot of non-fans I've spoken too didn't like the film, but did like the pod race. i suppose I took it as given!

Anyway, on a side-line what is that you didn't like? Was it the fact that it was completely CGI (or near enough), or the fact that it was unessential to the plot line, maybe?

I can appreciate that rather than filling episode 1 with unimportant gubbins (ie, the crappy gungans, the pod race) Lucas could well have jumped in the deep end, and started the new trilogy roughly where episode 2 takes off. I guess, that way, there would have been more room for development in eps 2 and 3

Ushgarak
Yes, certainly ground that is getting a lot of coverage lately.

I still think, 'avoidable' as it was, there is a place for set pieces likew the pod race in Star Wars films.

As to the start from Ep. ii, as I say in the thread somwhere around here that talks about that, I used to think that way but now I an mot so sure.

yerssot
Hey, don't get me wrong, I am support cg's (excapt Yoda :rollseyes: )

The podrace was, for me, too long and actually not necessary at all

Kane_Starkiller
in which case you "loved" the extended pod race on the dvd, with extended scenes and new characters ... right??!! wink

yerssot
it's still SW... but yeah, it's not the best part of the DVD

LanceWindu
The pod race in episode I is essential, cause that's how they get the money and parts to get off tatooine and get to the other parts of the movie.

Ushgarak
Well, OBVIOUSLY, but only because they MADE it essential. People who think it shouldn't have been there would want the plot changed.

LanceWindu
To what though?

Anakin digs in the backyard and finds a can full of money?

yerssot
if they really wanted to, they could make the story that QGJ fell Anakin, no hyperdrive that was leaking and stuff

Ushgarak
Indeed; the pod race was quite a contrived plotline.

That's not a criticism in any way. Plenty of good plots are very contrived indeed. But those who dislike the podrace talk sense when they say it could have easily been removed.

But it has an importance beyond that directly related to the plot. I'm glad it was in.

yerssot
so the quote
"When I met your father he was already a great pilot"
made sense, otherwhise we had OB1's point of view again

Captain REX
TPM kind of told about things that weren't told in the OT:
-Jedi Order
-The Skywalker Family
-Obi-Wan before he's old
-R2 and 3PO meet for the first time
-Palpy at the roots of his evil before it's blossomed in ROTJ
It's just stuff they wouldn't be able to during the start of the Clone Wars.

LanceWindu
Kind of a prequel to the Clone Wars

yerssot
the clone war is at the end of the movie, mind you

LanceWindu
I'm saying that all the events in TPM were a prequel to the Clone Wars.

yerssot
you make it sounds as if the whole movie is about the Clone Wars

LanceWindu
Well it would be better if it was, unless that is for Episode III.

yerssot
don't think that will happen, but I hope we will see Anakin vs Mace because they say Mace is a great swordsman

LanceWindu
You better believe it.

yerssot
come again?

LanceWindu
You better believe that Mace is a good swordsman!

yerssot
"I want proof! not leads!"

LanceWindu
You'll get your proof soon enough.

Kane_Starkiller
can i just ask something?

I'm doing the whole spoiler-free thing, and didn't know about the spoiler text in these forums.

Can you just let me know if I'm okay to highlight the above spoilers?

Thanks wink

LanceWindu
The one above isn't really much.

yerssot
don't do it
hence "spoiler- highlight to read it"

LanceWindu
It's something that might not happen though. Something we want but don't know if it will.

Kane_Starkiller
a'ight. I'll play it safe! wink

LanceWindu
so your not going to check it out?

Kane_Starkiller
er .... no.

I guess not!!

I'm open to things such as new characters, AOTC art work, music, new locations etc, but I'm trying to keep as many elements of the plot as near a secret as possible.

Are most people like that?

LanceWindu
Not me. I already know almost word for word the whole movie.

yerssot
Ok, let's spoil KS:

There will be a new Star Wars movie this year!

Ha! big grin

Kane_Starkiller
GAAAAHHHHH!!! mad

Well, that's it!!! Why don't you just spoil the whole thing for me!

After that, there's no point in my carrying on this fiasco. I may as well just fold up my lap top, scrape my self away from this godforsaken wall, and return to a normal life ... even though, I've been stood outside the Odeon Hull Branch queing for tickets for almost 2 months!!!

I hate you die-hards with your desire to spoil everyone's fun!!

wink

yerssot
Yup, that's my allright! cool

Kane_Starkiller
hee hee! laughing out loud

Julie
Spoiler free huh......well I wasn't for TPM and I'm not for AOTC...so I'll prob continue for EPIII too. Kane, were you spoiler free for TPM? Have you seen the trailers for AOTC...if you have I guess you're not entirely spoiler free......
Spoilers or not...it matters not to me.....but is this a spoiler or notevil face I admire people who stay away from spoilers wink

LanceWindu
I wonder if he's going to highlight that.

Julie
That's the point wink ....hmm should we let him in on the secret????....

Kane_Starkiller
I was 100% spoiler-free for TPM and I'm about 50% (or less) for AOTC. yes, I've seen the trailers.

and Julie, I also know who you admire stick out tongue

It's funny because I admire people that come on the internet late at night, and leave a reply on every thread made in the last two weeks! wink wierd!

LanceWindu
So who does Julie admire?

Julie
Ha...so you figured it out.....well I guess you're not talkin' about me seeing it's 6:20 EST wink

How the heck did you keep spoiler free for TPM??????I read a collector mag that outlined the entire story, but for AOTC just being online is enough to spoil most!

LanceWindu
It's 5:20 CST

Kane_Starkiller
how did I stay spoiler-free for TPM?

You wanna know my secret?

I didn't have the internet! big grin

LanceWindu
Ah, that would work mesa thinks.

darthyogi
I'm coming to this thread late, but Podracing in EPII substanciates a rumour I heard a while back and dismissed as phooey. Here goes (I DON'T KNOW HOW TO DO THE BLACK OUT SPOILER THING SO, ON THE OFF CHANCE THERE IS MORE TO THIS THAN THE RUBBISH I TOOK IT FOR, possible SPOLIER WARNING...):

On returning to Tatooine Anakin is told by Watto that he had to sell his mother on. Watto refuses to tell Anakin where or who to unless Anakin races again and helps him win back the money he lost in EpI.

There you go - still sounds like rubbish to me, but it does fit with the revelation of Podracing in EpII.

Go figure...

yerssot
why? Draw a lightsabre and it's ok

Julie
huh?????
EpII podrace.....guess we'll have to wait til it comes out to see why it's there...do you think that it'll be shorter than EpI?

yerssot
Jul, since we all know the story and this came as a complete surprise, you can bet that it's in the background

Julie
Good.....the one in EpI was good but long

Amidala
This sounds strange but has anybody else epxerienced the longer version of the pod race, the flashing vents and flip overtaking moves and so on. It to me seems to go quicker because it has more excitment in it and it seems less contrived. plus the tusken raiders are a lot funnier and help setup some plot points for EPII.

If it is in EPII then i havent seen it and i have read the whole story about 40 times much to my own annoyance. i really tried to go spolier free this time, but when your job is boring and you think that 99% of the interent is garbage then there are no choices to make - you simply must read the spoliers. i might re code net nanny to stop myself for EPIII

mah
I think the DVD-version is a bit too long, even with the added 'exciting' features....the shorter version had the right length.

He-Man
Mah's right. smile

yerssot
some things in the DVD were good, but they had to cut other things!!

LanceWindu
The original Podrace was the right lenght but the scond lap was way too short.

Why didn't they put the scene where OB1 swims in the swamp with his lightsaber? It would have explained why he was wet and couldn't defend himself from the droid on the S.T.A.P.

yerssot
shot failed, even in reshooting, I thought I heared that somewhere...

LanceWindu
Oh, that would have been a nice scene to have though.

yerssot
the unfinished shot is on the DVD, so it's not THAT bad,
it's also in the TPM videogame

LanceWindu
Where is it on the DVD???

yerssot
in one of the six documentaries...don't know where... sorry

yerssot
ok, a little update;

check this nice site

perhaps some new drivers but those WILL return

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.