Movies That Stand the Test of Time

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Primitive Screwhead #1
I was watching a couple of the older 007 movies in my collection this weekend, when I really started focusing on some of the backdrops in Thunderball. Not that those really cheesy boat chase scenes where Connery is turning the wheel one way while the scenery in the background is doing something completely different... but it's amazing how some movies despite the changes in our social structure (civil rights, women's lib, improved special effects), some movies still are quite impressive. Others just seem to make me laugh when I watch them after all of these years.

Anyway, I thought it would be interesting to see which movies people may have recalled watching long ago (let's say released pre-1990) that still are just as good now, and those that make you say "I actually liked THAT???"

Now, for my top three movies that stand the test of time:
1. Any of the Pink Panther movies. Peter Sellers always portrayed the timeless Inspector Clouseau brilliantly, and I can't help laughing at his antics every time I watch. It never grows old.

2. Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Killer bunnies. Shrubberies and herring. And Camelot really is a silly place. What a great movie. It seems like the comedies hold up better than any other genre.

3. Raiders of the Lost Ark. I think probably Lucas' best effort ever. It just gave that Golden Age of comic-book feel to it that never gets stale.

Those that just haven't aged well:
1. Tron. I probably will take a lot of heat on this, but after all of these years, I just can't watch this movie the same way I did when I was a kid. Call it being spoiled by today's special effects, but I just don't see this movie the same way any more.

2. All of those Steven Seagal movies. I loved them back in my junior high/high-school days. Hard to Kill and Above the Law kicked ass. Maybe you can blame it on the fact that Seagal has pretty much been type-cast in all of his movies and the act is old now. But the fact stands... I was so damn happy when they killed his character off in Executive Decision.

3. The Exorcist. Scary then. Not scary now. I guess I've been numbed to the scares after watching more recent entries in the horror genre.

I invite others to discuss...

A.D. Skinner
The Dark Crystal is certainly one that makes me scratch my head and ponder as to why I enjoyed it long ago. What the heck is a Gelfling anyway ???

Starman - Do I really need to elaborate on this one ??? It falls into the same category as Cocoon ! What were we thinking.

Jaws is one of those movies that I can watch over and over again and find new enjoyment out of it. I think that Robert Shaw's best performances ever is as Quint.

Close Encounters of the Third Kind ( being my #1 all time favorite movie ) To being released the same year as Star Wars, I think it will go down into the History books as one of the breakthrough films in the Science Fiction category.

Alien - I have read much debate on whether or not this was a good film or not...but for being released in the late 70's...I think the special effects and the storyline has managed to withstand the test of time and offer the newer generations with a few laughs as well as a few good scares.

Samas-adian
Alien i can see that movie standing the test of time. The creature effects was done before CGI started. It was just a guy in a black suit. Somehow, I find that alot more scary and exciting then a monster done by CGI. That movie will be remembered.

Titanic will never stand the test of time. Half the people even forgot about the movie now.

Primitive Screwhead #1
And considering that Titanic is less than 10 years old, I would support that argument.

I would have to categorize Alien as good a movie now as it was back then. I consider Cameron's sequel as my all-time favorite movie, which is why I didn't stick it in with my other three choices. I like to spread my awards around.

Samas-adian
True, Aliens is a great movie. I like it better than Alien. But, I find that Alien was very orginal movie and the chestburter scene still scares the shit out of me.

wicker_man
All the Disney Classics (i.e. Snow White & The Seven Dwarfs,
Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty & Beauty & the Beast) to name but a few.

Samas-adian
Yes, I can see that because i feel that the animation will never grow old. Everybody loves them because of the story and animated characters not because of the stunning visuals or great battle scenes.

SilverFighter
Right now I can only think of Scarface. Power, corruption, drugs, betrayal and the famous line "Say hello to my little friend". I think it will make it a for sure classic.

Samas-adian
I never really liked Scarface, but I can see where your coming from. Definte cult classic where people from 30 years from now, we'll still be talking about.

SilverFighter
Well, I think is mostly memorable cuz is a gangster movie. Also because of the violence and the bloodshed. I like it, and for me Al Pacino did a good job as Tony Montana.

Primitive Screwhead #1
I thought Pacino was more memorble in Dog Day Afternoon just on the premise of the movie. A plot where a guys holds up a bank to pay for his lover's sex change operation? Not your typical storyline.

Samas-adian
Pacino I felt played a better gangster in the Godfathers. Pacino in Scarface was the only saving grace because for me, the middle of the movie was a tad bit slow for me. The bloodshed and violence in the movie really didnt impress because of todays movies.

Cinemaddiction
Scarface is grossly overrated.

My vote goes to "Airplane!", since it is funnier than most any other comedy I have seen up until now.

SilverFighter
Primitive Screwhead #1> That was also a good movie. I do like the part in which the cops, and the robbers get to the airport. Cool scene!!

Samas-adian> When you say "The bloodshed and violence in the movie really didnt impress because of todays movies." What do you mean by that? The movie has to have CGI to be impresive or something?

Cinemaddiction> Overrated? Nah, I don't think so.

andyF1
raiders, encounters and jaws, love them films, blade runner, ET aw

i was a big bruce lee fan when i was a kid, he still has the same presence today, no one else comes close, wudaaaa!

i remember when Friday 13 came out my family came back saying it was the scariest movie ever, i didnt see it till late 80's it was poo!

king kong v godzilla loved it when i was a kid , saw it on sci fi not long back, oh dear

Samas-adian
I meant that people say Scarface is really good because of the violence in it. But i find that the violence is not that gruesome. Movies today, like kill bill, have just the same amount of violence then Scarface did. After taking away the violence, you get mediocre film.

Cinemaddiction
That's fine, I'm not alone.

It's just overhyped. It's definately cult material, with the excess of violence and gore, and other exaggerated elements. It has a nice story about some guys pursuit, and eventual loss of the American dream, but the rest is just filler.

But, thats DePalma for ya.

ragesRemorse
all of the best movies have already proven to stand the test of time. I believe when a movie can be a household name for 25 years plus it has earned ranks of a damn decent movie. I beleive there are many more unkown movies that need to be discovered and given credit over most of the shit that peple beleive to be the greatest movies.

However as for today i think tarrentino, Smith, aronofsky and the wachowski brothers will live on to be lords of the cult following. Maybe even singer but he is breaking out into mainstream, isnt it funny that singer and raimi, two directors who always held low budgeted, but greatly loved movies break out into the mainstream eye with comic book movies that will deffaintly stand the test of time.

Lord Soth
Lord of the Rings, for certain

manny321
lord Soth you very right, if the books can be popular for like 50 years what the hell in your mind says the films can't. I don't see anything replacing dvds anytime soon!!! This will be watched over and over millions of more times heck i bet someone is watching it right now!!! laughing out loud

silver_tears
I completely agree. I watch these movies even now in my late teens. embarrasment They never get old to me, I can watch them again and again and again.

Also I think Edward Scissorhands is very much a classic movie, I watch it at least 3 times a year. and fall in love with it each time sad

Myth
Scarface
Godfather
Full Metal Jacket
Star Wars

Tired Hiker
The Goonies is one of my all time favorite movies I can watch over and over and over. The whole setting in Astoria, Oregon, Mouth and Chunk and Mikey and Sloth, the whole Pirate Treasure thing, the Fertelis .... .... .. Classic Flick! yes

Myth
I live kind of close to Astoria. I've seen the Goonies house several times.

el_barto
Monty pithon and the holly grail

Tired Hiker
Cool, I've driven through there once when my gandparents lived in Portland. I love the North Coast. I'll probably be moving up North soon since I've always loved it up there and feel a connection there.

Fire
the indy movies, a few disney cartoons and some old movies like Star Wars, Planet of the apes and a few others

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.