Gladiator! Sequal or Not?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ancietwisdom
I am a big fan! I love Russell Crowe and I have read that Director R. Scott might make a
second Gladiator. For me I could go both ways.
I love the original and think that they should leave
it alone. confused On-the-other hand, I think
it will turn out great if they keep Maximus alive for
the second one and help train up Lucilus' Son ( Lucius ),
and go for more battles.

If they do anything other than that, it would be
terrible!!!!
It is suppose to start production May 2005.
I wonder what all you people think about this.

Cinemaddiction
Hmm. Maximus is dead. Commodus is dead. The two characters that drove the movie are fertilizer.

"Son of Gladiator" has a nice ring to it, but I'd leave it alone. That would be like making a sequel to "Ben Hur".

BackFire
I hated Gladiator, one of the most over rated movies of all time. So no.

lil bitchiness
Ok, sequal is gonna suck, if made. Simply because it all ended in the 'Galdiator'

The One Himself
I've heard something about a second Gladiator but not a sequel...I think they are planing a "prequel' showing Maximus' rise from soldier to general... a sequel is out of the question -- unless it takes place in the afterlife....

FLICKNAVY
I can see a prequel but not a sequel.......Him and Commudus die in the end. Its over. A story of him as a soldier in the legion rising through the ranks to general though, I could see that turning out well. Gladiator is NOT overrated BF :P

Punker69
never seen gladiator

Evil Dead
I love Gladiator..........great story. A sequel would just be retarded. Maximus is dead.........the story is over. There could be no prequel.....as he wasn't a gladiator until Gladiator. What would a prequel be called, The General? How gay.

Lord Shadow Z
I pray to Satan that they don't make a second one because the first film was boring as hell.

finti
not, he died end of story

glenn
There would be no story to it uless by some miracle Maximus comes back to liife.

mook
its a good film but will be ruined if the studio try to cash in with an illogical and unnecessary sequel. (for example T3)

Cinemaddiction
Eh, T3 wasn't unncecessary. They were tying up loose ends. A T4 would be unncecessary.

mook
logically the terminator story ended at the end of T2.

skynet destroyed.
both terminators and chips destroyed.
judgment day stopped.
mankind saved.
john+sarah live happily ever after.

then, in order to cash in, they invent the idea that judgment day was only 'postponed' - not only does that mean the events of T2 were completely pointless it now creates more 'loose ends' as the war now takes place - meaning a T4 film can now take place.

all loose ends were tied up as soon as arnies thumb disappears into the molten steel at the end of T2.
there was no need for T3.

Fire
I heard they're making a prequel

steely balls
NO NO NO NO NO It wont be the same, what would the call it
GLADIATOR: HE STILL DEAD and the sequel to that
GLADIATOR: NOPE NO HE STILL DEAD

Lord Soth
Making a sequel to Gladiator would be a serious breach of sequel protocol. A prequel is conceivable, but there is no way to CONTINUE the story. Lucius is a possibility, sure, but there are too few options with that road

KidRock
im now a lot dumber for reading that post

Samas-adian
DAMMIT, I hate sequels now. Sequel this, sequal that, Hey lets make a sequel on the Mr Smith character on how he stops crime in the Matrix.

Maybe i just like orginal material. If a sequel is warranted, its warranted but if its just to cash in on a movie then no.

Gladiator was good, but other than that, it didnt have alot of secondary character to make it worthwhile.

And atleast they made the ending in T3 kinda of cool, and allowed the world to end.

glenn
Gladiator 2 cannot be made. It is UNNESSASARY. The story ended in the first one for gods sake.

Evil Dead
any terminator movie made now (T4) could be considered both a sequel and a prequel...........true story.

mook
true - lets hope it doesnt suck as badly as T3

glenn
Why are we discussing terminator for. There is a place for you to talk about terminator in the other movies section.

Fire
as glenn said keep it on topic guys

andyF1
he didnt die, it was just a bad dream roll eyes (sarcastic)

Fire
prequel will prolly be used IF they do it

Lord Soth
What about Proximo? and the Queen? Commodus? Maximus's friends?

Fire
Proximo is dead, gets killed by pretorians near the end -I think- it is atlest insinuated. commodus is a loser and the queen is no interesting character.... besiudes a sequel would shatter my dreams about rome after maximus

ancietwisdom
wink I have read all of your quotes. I think a prequel would be wrong,
but on-the-other hand, I think if they could have kept Maximus alive
and have him train Lucius with new enemies, it would be good.
You can't have a Glaidator 2 without Russell Crowe. He is the man!!!!!
and sexy too!!!

amlap
why is it that everytime there is blockbuster hit that they feel obligated to make a sequel?

Evil Dead
I don't believe they feel obligated to make a Gladiator sequel.........I don't think it's even being rumored. I think the originator of this thread was just posting a "what if" question.

Lord Soth
Quite the contrary, sadly....It's already in pre-production and is set for a 2005 release. Russel Corwe is NOT returning, and the script is set for 20 years after Maximus's death. Ridley Scott is likely returning to direct

glenn
20 YEARS LATER messed . NOOOOOOOOOOOO. It can't be made. Especially 20 years later.

ancietwisdom
sad Well I am not going to see the movie if Russell Crowe
is not in it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fire
boow tihout russell it won't be as good

Storm
The only option would be a prequel imo, but I don't think it' s a good idea. And if it' s true what Lord Soth said, then a sequel is even worse.

Lord Soth
The wheels are already in motion, sadly

glenn
And they'll keep spinning until it is made. God help us

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.