I Hate Scary Movies

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Myth
Please don't move this to the horror movie section because I want to see what non horror movie fans think. If this goes to horror movies section, only people who like horror movies will read this.

Anyway, I hate horror movies. To me they are just plain stupid. I can see how people could like them because its a thrill (like a roller coaster ride is). However, the movies suck because they have horrible plots and usually not very good acting. They don't consentrate on the plot because they are too busy trying to make people jump. Well, they don't make me jump so I find them pointless. I'm writing this because I just watched the new Texas Chainsaw Massacre movie. I usually avoid horror movies but I watched it with a group of friends. Of course the girls screamed, so it did its objective for them. But my friend and I sat there the whole time unfazed. I didn't even jump once. ANGRY! On the plus side, the movie did make us laugh because the whole time the Sheriff yelled at the kids we were reminded of his days in Full Metal Jacket.

BackFire
I'm assuming you haven't watched any good horror films. Go see the original TCM, or The Shining and come back and honestly tell me if you think they are bad movies.

botankus
A fake TCM party? Sounds bad from the beginning.

If you are angry about not being scared, rent Evil Dead I, turn the volume up, and watch it in the dark.

buffymitch
I understand if you don't like Horror movies cos most of them are really bad. You're right about hthe acting but a horror movie is seldom about that. That's waht horor fans love. Psyschologists believe that the reason we love them is because we love to be scared when we know that we're safe. I personally love o good horror movie but yes most of them are just crap. Cabin fever, Wrong turn , 28 days later, Resident evil I think of them as pretty good horror movies

Cinemaddiction
I was going to say, don't base your opinion on the mainstream crap. "Cabin Fever" and "Wrong Turn" are prime examples of what is wrong with the horror genre. recycled, repackaged, monotonously themed teeny bopper horror.

Gotta go back to your roots for the best horror. That said, there are plenty of diamonds in the rough that are original, and fun to watch like "Final Destination", and "Scream", and of course psychological thriller/horrors like the Hannibal trilogy pieces, and just plain fun stuff like "Dead Alive".

As for reasons people like them, it's just going to differ. I get a kick out of seeing decapitations, peoples entrails sliding out of their cavities, and dismemberment. love

Horror movies in general were never made with serious, thought provoking plots in mind. They are all just mindless fun, and sometimes a really good release.

..and as far as "scary movies", I have yet to see one, personally, and I have seen 100's of movies in my lifetime.

botankus

Myth
Hated 28 Days Later, Evil Dead, Resident Evil, Scream and such.

The Shining was pretty good, I'll give you guys that. If you consider it a scary movie, then I'd say Identity was good but because of the idea of it, not because it actually scared me.

botankus
If you had seen Evil Dead and The Shining why didn't you mention that in the first place (unless you just ran out and rented them this morning big grin)?

Having the TCM remake as the focal point of your complaint is not a very good starting point.

Cinemaddiction
"Identity" for the most part was a psychological thriller version of "Fight Club". It's still interesting, but not scary, neither is "The Shining". It fits that same psychological bill.

Myth
Its because I just watched it that night and was fresh in my head. It was saying how I generally felt about horror movies while at the same time giving my reflection on a movie that I had just watched which was the reason I was thinking of the topic.

chilled monkey
botankus: How nice to see that you remember me.

One thing I'd like to make clear, I never said that Eliza Dushku is the best actress of all time. I just said that I think she's good. There are many others who I think are better.

Anyway, I am not a huge fan of horror movies. I do like some however as I find the ideas to be quite interesting. I generally respond to characterisation most in movies, so I mostly like horror movies that have interesting characters.

BackFire
I have to disagree with what you said about The Shining, it creeps me out like no other film ever has.

Cinemaddiction
Guess I'm somewhat jaded when it comes to movies about the mental regression of people into maniacs.

Freddy_vs_Jason
Go see the Nightmare on Elm Street movie, thats a good horror, and if the TCM didn't make you jump and you hate all horror movies than you have VERY high standards in deed, my favourite kind of movies are horrors.

Kes
I have the same problem. I have yet to see a horror movie that scares me. I admite I havent seen the classics, they dont pass on tv and my video store doesnt have old movies sad
On the plus side they tend to be quite funny.

Myth
I've seen Nightmare on Elm Street. It didn't scare me but it was at least a little better for a laugh.

BackFire
Well it wasn't that that creeps me out. It was the two little girls, and that lady in the bathtub.

wicker_man
Not all horror movies revolve around the proposed sterotypical masked mad man as highlighted in the re-vamped TCM or recent outputs such as Freddy Vs Jason, Wrong Turn or Scream, for instance take The Wicker Man or The Witchfinder General or indeed Johnny Depps turn in the Astronauts Wife these are three horror films that centre around psychological horror and the element of what you DONT see rather then that of the more conventinal, modern horror movie aptly titled 'the slasher flick', try to see one of these films and you'll see a new level to the horror genre that probably exceeds your antial conceptions of the genre.

Kes
Dont bother with the Astronauts wife, it sucks.

wicker_man
In your opnion it may but allow others to make up there own minds. smile

Kes
True. Watch it. JD looks good in it. If you're a guy Charlize Theron looks good in it. If you manege to stay awake, I'l buy you a cup of coffee laughing

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.