'Saw the Alamo

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

vagaryatwill
So I was lucky enough to see the Alamo last night (won't post any spoilers!). Didn't really know what to expect going in, but I ended up liking it a lot. I thought the acting for the most part was really good. Billy Bob fits right into his role as a Tennessee congressman and fighter at the Alamo. Patrick Wilson, Jason Patrick and Dennis Quaid also were good. 'Was also impressed with the battle scenes. All around, a pretty well done movie.

<<Solo>>
So then On A Scale of 1-10 what would you rate it?

<<Solo>>
Holy Hell it bombed bad.... Take a look at the rating...http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/TheAlamo-1131222/ .....0%out of 100% wow

vagaryatwill
That's only 6 reviews so far......I'm not saying it's Oscar material, but it's definitely got some good qualities (as I pointed out). On a scale of 1-10, I'd give it a strong 6.5.

Holcomb
The RT rating will improve as reviews from the major outlets come in. I'm going to see it and I think a lot of other people will too.

JamalMagloire
I've heard from people that saw a screening that Alamo was really good. I'll buy what they're selling on this one. It's a great weekend for the movie too, especially coming off the Final Four in San Antonio and the anniversay of the Alamo falling right around now.

Pablo G
Man I just got back from the theatres and I watched Hellboy and The Alamo. The Alamo really sucks, it's just another excuse for a movie so the americans (some not all) can glorify themselves as heroes and enlarge their egoes even more (Sorry american dudes, I like you but it's true, almost all of you think that the USA is the best country in the world, it's cool that you have patriotism but don't get cocky) Insipid acting joins historical flaws, it says that the Mexican Unit was made up of over 2000 soldiers against 150 texans. And the way I heard it from my history class and The History Channel it was that they were 200 texans and over 700 mexicans. So anyway whatever, let's get down to the point. Hellboy kicks some major ass, go see it. When I get back to Hermosillo I shall start working on my Hellboy siggie and avatar.

Clovie
i haven't watched any of them.

and to be honest i probably won't..
i hate american-patriotism-movies... sick

Dogbert
What country are you from Pablo G?
Hellboy was a pretty kick ass movie big grin

Crash Overload
Isn't Pablo from Mexico?

Pablo G
You got damn right yes

Lord Soth
American patriotism movies are all formulaic propaganda. And I'm American yes

I agree w/ you every step of the way, Pablo! rock thumb up

Pablo G
Wow an american that agrees with me on this one, rock on Lord Soth !

Lord Soth
I'm the most anti-nationalist American you'll ever find laughing

Well, me and my good friend that most of you know as Hypochrisitan laughing Happy Dance

steely balls
yeah americans tend to do that...its actually annoying. i had no part in making that movie or was my family even in the country during the alamo. so don't go saying americans are cocky about there country because all of us aren't....i never wants met a kid who says that they love there own country because we don't go around sayiing that...it mostly happens in the south though

dragonpisces272
i saw a trailer of hellboy but didnt actually catch the plot of the movie

whatshisface
bleh, hellboy just didn't do it for me.

dragonpisces272
well i wouldnt know yet blink

steely balls
i liked it

el_barto
shouldnt this be in the movie discussion blink

Rambo
Americas my favorite country but thats just me. Everybody has their own choice.

Storm
*sigh*
Why didn' t you post this in the appropriate forum?

Tired Hiker
Americans Rule! Mexicans are dumb! big grin

yerssot
*starts bashing storm* mad mad mad

roll eyes (sarcastic)

seriously... from time to time, I just don't know why we have all the different sections

Kes
Moving to Movie discussion.
Moving--moved

Pablo's thread was merged with this one because he mostly just talks about Alamo. Please do not talk about Hellboy!

Tired Hiker
I was just kidding about my last post on this thread. I am dumb for saying what I said, and Mexicans are cool and smart. California is really Mexico, you know. Most white people just have a hard time accepting this fact. As for me, I speak a bit of Spanish and I am about to start a farming job with 450 Mexican people. I love Mexican people. They rock.

VallejoKid707
Itz all about Salvadorenos!

Pablo G
and we love you Pres, I knew you were kidding man rock

Kes
Yeh, nobody takes you seriously TH stick out tongue

Pablo G
No, it's not Happy Dance

vagaryatwill
Did you see The Alamo or is this just your generalistic view? I saw the movie and would have to disagree with you. I don't think the film advocated American propoganda at all. In fact, I read an article on Yahoo last week that talked about the director and how he toned down any American heroism in order to tell the story as accurately as possible. I thought the movie was well done and included information appropriate information to not only make a good movie, but to accuractly reflect history.

scott hiwersh
I agree, I enjoyed the film, and felt it showed many scenes which depicted the emotions and thoughts of the Mexican army. It was well done...

Pablo G
Dude, they portrated Santa Ana like a cruel ass dictator !

periera
I live in San Antonio and I won't even go see that crap!

vagaryatwill
From going by what I've read, this is the most accurate Alamo film made. Also, most of the complaints I've heard have been focused around the Americans not being portrayed as heroic enough. My point is that I think both sides are seeing things that they might wish weren't true. Would you say that Santa Ana didn't have ANY dictator-ish characteristics about him? I honestly don't know because I haven't studied the history of the Alamo nor the Mexican army of that time; I'm just asking the question.

Lord Soth
No, I have not seen the Alamo, nor do i have any intention to. Not only is it formulaic propaganda, I don't like the actors either

pylgrym
yEaH-whoo!
'rEMEmBER tHE (jOHN wAYNE) aLAMO!
'
GREATEST AMERICAN MOVIE EVER MADE BY AN AMERICAN!
That means Mexican wrasslin' movies do NOT get factored in.
Nor French talkin' 'films'.... Not even Bollywood musicals like "Superman".

Kes
blink

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.