John Woo is making a Metroid movie

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

sentinelrv
Originally Zide/Perry purchased the rights to make a Metroid movie. They didn't go through with the film and their rights to make it expired.

John Woo just bought the rights to make a Metroid film. He also sounds very confident about doing it. He said that he is looking at a release date of 2006 and the movie is going to get a budget of well over $100,000,000. eek! Happy Dance

Cinemaddiction
Who the hell gave John Woo a $100 M dollar budget after BOMBING on his last two ventures in "Windtalkers" and "Paycheck", to make a video game movie?

Just..mindboggling. Guaranteed to bomb even worse than the last 2 aforementioned flicks.

sentinelrv
Just go to this site.

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/eo/20040407/108138240000.html

sentinelrv
We're the movies that you mentioned bad, or they just didn't make a lot of money.

Samas-adian
Oh god, come on.. John Woo...like he was good in Face Off and similiar titles but for myself, I really dont see Metroid being completly an action movie. Its more about learning about species and what happenend to this planet and discovering and exploring different areas. Not about how to shoot space pirates or metroids.....and 100 million dollers, oh god.

Ridley Scott, or any other visonary director, who can make things interesting will be better....and lets see if John Woo can put doves in this movie.

sentinelrv
Did you read these parts?

For the movie version, Woo plans to produce and direct a mega-budgeted space spectacle (((>that will remain true to the suspense and mystery of the series,&ltwink)) while simultaneously satisfying both gamers and the general public alike.

"We are very fortunate that there is such an extensive amount of material to draw upon for the film due to there being so many iterations of the game over the years," Woo told the Reporter.

The movie will also follow the well-worn path Hollywood has taken in adapting a comic book or video game by familiarizing lay people with the hero's origins.

"We have to assume the mainstream audience is unfamiliar with the property," Brad Foxhoven, president of Tiger Hill and a producer on the movie, told the Reporter. "As for the rest of the film, we will stay true to the game."

ragesRemorse
well john woo kicks ass when he sticks to action, but when he tries to incorporate an actual story his films, his movies go awry. In defense for paycheck, that wasnt woo's fault. That would have been a good movie with a good actor replacing ben affleck. You know woo wants to do a ninja turtles movie

Samas-adian
well yes i did read after i did the post.. but i still stick with my post.

First, its followings paths of any videogame or comic book adaptation... which i dont think a very good thing.. and i could be wrong, you dont rarely know who samaus is in the games?
i think it would be cool, if throughout the whole movie, you find bits and pieces of who the main character is...just like in metroid prime.

and i have a feeling, theyre giong to cast some good looking woman to play her, which kinda sucks because you never see the actual girl in the game.

Cinemaddiction
Both. "Windtalkers", after marketing costs, lost $75 Million dollars.
"Paycheck" only made $53 M in the US, and after costs came out ahead by $9 M.

shadow link
didnt john woo do the fighting choriography in crouching ticger hidden dragon and the matrix,

Cinemaddiction
Negative, it was Woo-Ping Yuen (Matrix choreographer).

Linkalicious
Samus doesn't talk....incorporating dialog will kill this already poor idea for a movie...

Samas-adian
I think it can probably be a good movie, if done right....but if its going to be done like comic or videogames movies..then no..
but with a budget of 100 million dollers...its going to be all action..and nohitng else

Myth
I for one am not too excited by the idea of a Metroid movie.

sentinelrv
Samus does talk. She talks in Metroid Fusion to her ship's computer. She can talk in the movie, but not that much maybe. Also, they have to make her a strong character. She has to be dependent on herself, not some big macho guy that she falls in love with during the movie and he protects her by doing all the fighting for her. That would suck.

WindDancer
Same here, but since is John Woo doing the movie......I'm interested. Paycheck was okay, but for me his best work was done in Face-off. I enjoy his actions flicks very much. So I'm going to keep high hopes on Metroid.

I like what the article said "Who knew he was such a game?" big grin

Yomammy
First off.. John Woo is waaaaaay overrated. Why would -I- be interested in this after nothing but crap from this guy. Second of all, why on earth make another movie about a friggin' video game? I mean, I loved Metroid Prime, as a GAME, but who wants to watch/make a movie about a game 'hero' who has ZERO personality?

*shrug* confused

WindDancer
Folks! It's official!!!! John Woo will direct a "Rainbow Six" movie!!!

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/06/03/news_6099854.html

This might look good!!!! big grin

An action war movie based on a video game. thumb up

burlyman
wink

Samas-adian
Is the movie about the game or the Tom Clancy book?

<<Solo>>
Old news.Real Old news.Horrible idea.If the idea actually goes into action the chances are In the end it will fail.

WindDancer
Is really hard to say at the moment. Most likely it will be a combination of both. Since the book and the video game were realease nearly at the same time, it will be based on both (I think). John Woo has made a couple of mistakes with MI 2 and Paycheck. But this one he can't go wrong. The idea of Rainbow Six is mostly action and gun fights. Most likely it will resemble movies like Delta Force or Navy Seals.

Drifter101
is John Woo the dude who made The Hulk? if so,.............. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DONT DO IT

Drifter101
but if he aint the dude who did the hulk then go right ahead.

Kes
No, Ang Lee made Hulk. John Woo made Face/Off and Mission Impossible 2.

fanatos
Didn't he make The Rock too?
However, I'm a big Metroid fan but I don't know how can that game be made into a movie? There's only one human character in there - Samus, fighting monsters, all alone...

Drifter101
okay he didnt make the hulk then go right ahead and make the movie.

xemir
I think it could turn out good and even if he completly fcks up it will be better then Tomb Raider.

<<Solo>>
But he made Mission Impossible 2.

SaTsuJiN
if she DOES talk at all.. I hope her voice is loud and guttoral like the grunt marines in half life (because of the suit voice distortion). I'd be disappointed if they made her talk alot in a gentle voice..
I hope they cast Milla Jovovich O_o

Drifter101
yea mission impossible 2 kinda sucked, but not as much as the Hulk so go ahead and make it anyway

SaTsuJiN
I think it'd be cool if samus didnt speak 'in the now' , instead narrating her own events as they were happening.. or maybe they could have text scroll up the screen from her personal logs to serve as narration. Samus is a very dynamic character that manages to keep very little info about herself from reaching a public viewpoint, so I think it'd only be rightful to keep that mystery about her.

badkittykitty
what! that should be off the hook!

Cinemaddiction
Bump and move to the new forum!

Fanboy
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
Who the hell gave John Woo a $100 M dollar budget after BOMBING on his last two ventures in "Windtalkers" and "Paycheck", to make a video game movie?

Just..mindboggling. Guaranteed to bomb even worse than the last 2 aforementioned flicks.

I am thinking since he is famous for making gun fight movies like Hardboiled and crap and other great Hong Kong action films seriously he is famous for making gun fight films and Metroid has guns.

Fanboy

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.