Garden State

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

forumcrew
http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/g/gardenstate.php

I think this movie looks really good. I like Zach Braff on Scrubs, and him staring, writing, and directing this could really get his carear moving.. also has a good cast besides him

Cinemaddiction
I noticed Natalie Portman first in the trailer. This was tagged onto "Eternal Sunshine". Focus Features is putting out some real solid movies lately, I'll probably go take in this one as well.

forumcrew
yea.. this one won a ton of film festival awards.. and yes natalie is his co-star

Fallen Jedi
natalie is my fav actress so i'm definitly gonna see this. plus, it looks really good.

Fan of LOTR
Wut is the song in the Trailer? It rocks! By the way I love Independent films by Focus their so good all the time. I saw eternal Sunshine three times I cant get enough of it!

Fan of LOTR
Please I would really like to know

Tex
It looks interesting; especially the slow motion aspects.

forumcrew
zach braff fans might also like this.. http://www.comingsoon.net/news.php?id=4401

Fan of LOTR
Please!!

Fan of LOTR
I am not trying to beg but someone please answer!

forumcrew
are you blind?

the song is "Let Go" by Frou Frou it says so under the trailer...

and after seeing the trailer again i really think this is gonna be one of the best movies this year

Fan of LOTR
Oh sorry

caballera
So I'm thinking if you guys like the trailer for Garden State, you might also like the one for Coffee and Cigarettes at www.budweiser.com/1 because those two movies are the ones I'm REALLY looking forward to. Tell me what you think.

forumcrew
yea ive seen that one.. it looks interesting im not sure about it yet though

Max Power
wow this looks awesome.

I would have sworn that Billy Corgan singing on the trailer.

forumcrew
yes

yep spread the word!! Hopefully this movie does well in the box office and zach and other independent film directors/writers keep making great films

caballera
Who knew that the guy from Scrubs was this talented?

forumcrew
yea really.. hes been in a few movies, small part in a woody allen movie.. he apparantly really looks up to woody allen, and one critic said zach will be the woody allen of his time. Im really looking forward to seeing what he can do

caballera
Which Woody Allen film? I've practically seen them all.

forumcrew
Manhattan Murder Mystery

Kaleanae
Does somebody know why the movie is called Garden State/
I was thinking that has something t do with New Jersey messed

caballera
Not sure. I figure it's a New Jersey thing too, but it used to be called Large's Ark. Braff's last name in the film is Largeman.

Krabs55
Hmmm thats weird when does this movie come out ??

forumcrew
July 30th but it is a limited release

caballera
That's too long from now. Do you know what theatres will be showing it?

forumcrew
no idea i dont think thats decided yet.. what i would suggest is find out where movies like Big Fish, House of Sand and Fog and other movies like those played at.. Theres generally theaters that run more low key independent type movies.. theres one like 30 minutes from me that usualy has them all do a little lookin around and you can prolly find a theater that plays movies like it

caballera
Good point, I'm sure it will be at the Laemles (i know i spelled that wrong).

Max Power
totally. I am really getting into watching indie films. THis one looks promising.

caballera
I finally found out for sure. Jersey is known as the Garden State.

burlyman
maybe also refers to a state of mind? stick out tongue

embarrasment I only just saw the trailer (re played a few hundred times big grin)... wow looks awesome eek!

caballera
Yeah- I love the trailer!! Also I second and third and fourth what was said about supporting indie films! The better they do at the box office, the more great films we get to see in the future!

burlyman
actually i like that they dont do great at the box office, the dumb "ooh action/hot star" cinema-goers generally miss out and head for the blockbusters.....
once they come out DVD - more marketing and word of mouth means they usually sell well anyway

messed

And the trailer is so beautiful big grin

caballera
i would still be happy if really smart movies started becoming smash hits... but i definitely see your point. smile

forumcrew
i think donnie darko made 1,000,000 max but it did over 10,000,000 in dvd and now a directors cut is coming out.. so it does work out well

burlyman
Yeah! And I like having the knowledge of non mainstream-y movies smile

caballera
yeah, but it's hard for filmmakers to get financing for non-mainstream movies bc studios forsee them not doing well.

sum1butno1
Yeah, I saw the trailer before Eternal Sunshine, too (desperately waiting for it to come out on DVD).

And, while the one song in the trailer is by Frou Frou, another one (I think there are 3 altogether, this is the one with an acoustic guitar) is "Love will come through" by Travis.

And I LOVED Donnie Darko!!!

caballera
me too! watching Scrubs also makes me excited for this movie!! wink

im not burlyman
There is the Postal Service, and Travis in the second trailer smile

caballera
I like that the bands used are awesome but not overexposed to media. (glad we don't here the same darn songs as in every other trailer out there.) smile

sum1butno1
That's true, but there are some cases where a popular song is good in a trailer (see the original Punisher trailer, with "Bodies" by Drowning Pool. Unbelievably good!).

And thanks not burlyman, the first song in the "Internet Exclusive" trailer(on Apple.com) is "Such Great Heights" by Postal Service, and the second is "Love will come through" by Travis.

MissesDepp?!
Hokay... exactly 9 days left until Garden State opens in Toronto, New York and LA! If you don't know what I'm talking about:

www.foxsearchlight.com/gardenstate

written, directed, starring Zach Braff (Scrubs boy)
Natalie Portman
Ian Holm
Peter Sarsgaard

Excited, too excited, much excitment. It's an independent film so please go see it so it can make money..

MissesDepp?!
Sorry.. this was already a thread.. OH by the way, I found a site that says it may also be realsing on the 28th http://movies.channel.aol.com/movie/main.adp?mid=18459

I've heard 28th and 30th any FOR SURES?

furryman
eek! ah it finally opens big grin can't wait 'til its on the internet, cause I doubt it will be out at the Odeon near me sad

forumcrew
interview with zach braff about the movie

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/featuresnews.php?id=5722

forumcrew
anyone been able to see this yet? im interested to see what people thought.. even though i know its gonna be great..

comingsoon.net rewvied it and gave it a 9 out of 10 which is very promising..

heres their review:

Garden State
Reviewed by: Edward Douglas
Rating: 9 out of 10
Movie Details: View here

Cast:
Zach Braff as Andrew Largeman
Natalie Portman as Sam
Ian Holm as Gideon Largeman
Peter Sarsgaard as Mark
Method Man as Diego
Jean Smart as Carol
Alex Burns as Dave
Jackie Hoffman as Aunt Sylvia Largeman
Michael Weston as Kenny
Armando Riesco as Jesse
Amy Ferguson as Dana
Trisha LaFrache as Kelly
Jim Parsons as Tim
Jayne Houdyshell as Mrs. Lubin
Ron Leibman as Dr. Cohen
Ann Dowd as Olivia
Ato Essandoh as Titembay
Wynter Kullman as Pam
Geoffrey Arend as Karl Benson

Story:
Andrew Largeman (Braff) is a third rate L.A. television actor who must return home to Jersey when his mother dies. Wandering around in a highly medicated state, he meets Sam (Portman), a quirky young woman who becomes his companion on a number of adventures through Jersey, teaching Largeman that there is a lot more to life than what he left back in Los Angeles.

Analysis:
Considering how many big "buzz movies" have come out this summer, not from the big studios, but smaller films that debuted at this year's Sundance Film Festival, it's amazing when one comes along that takes you by surprise despite having high expectations. Plenty of television actors have thrown their hat into the ring of directing an independent feature, but few of them pull it off as well as Zach Braff does with his first movie, Garden State, a very original take on the overused term "romantic comedy".

It takes a bit of time to get used to the disjointed storytelling as Braff's character Andrew Largeman, better known to his friends as "Large", is dragged from one location to another meeting strange characters before quickly moving on. Everyone at least once in their life has spent a day being dragged around by a friend for reasons only known to them to discover that the quest is often more memorable than the actual destination. While not all of the disparate scenes work, the ones that do are amazing.

Since Large is heavily medicated for the first half hour of the movie, Braff isn't responsible for delivering the laughs that his "Scrubs" fans may be used to. The humor is far more subtle than you might expect, often resorting to sight gags that are more surreal than funny. The characters he meets are not strange in the "Twin Peaks" sense, but more mundane and odd, driven to take their quirks as far as they can. It makes you wonder if there is anyone even remotely normal in Braff's New Jersey.
Leave it to Natalie Portman to be Garden State's savior, something she does quite admirably as the quirky Sam, an adorably insane presence who changes the entire tone of the movie. She is the kind of woman that is almost impossible to not fall in love with, but also one that you know will be trouble for someone as emotionally stinted as Largeman. Then again, you can't help but love someone who has her own personal hamster cemetery in her backyard. Sam/Natalie's freedom of thought and expression is what keeps the movie fresh and interesting, not only because she brings out the best in Largeman in sharing her life with him, but as an actress, Portman brings out the very best in Braff. The chemistry between the two of them is so real and natural that it's almost impossible to not fall in love with the potential of their relationship. Essentially, Sam pulls Large out of his shell forcing his much-needed transformation in a similar to Kate Winslet's role in Michel Gondry's wonderful Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind.

As Largeman's best friend and chronic bad influence, Peter Saarsgard pulls out another hilarious performance, his trademark dry wit bringing so much to every one of his scenes. You know that things are good when Sir Ian Holm, better known to some as Bilbo Baggins, has the least interesting character as Large's father and psychiatrist. It's not much of a stretch for Holm even with the stilted American accent, and though their relationship is as important as the one Large has with Sam, most of their scenes are not the movie's strongest moments.

Braff's background as a video director is evident from the way he seamlessly merges the mellow songs of Coldplay and The Shins into the story, and he brings a stylish eye to every scene without getting too flashy or obvious. Sure, there are a few times where the movie becomes in danger of turning into an extended music video, but that may only be due to the nature of the storytelling. Of course, when you put a Simon and Garfunkel song into a movie like this, you're just asking for comparisons to The Graduate, but there are probably worse ways to get your film career in gear than to solicit comparisons to Dustin Hoffman.

The Bottom Line:
Zach Braff's deeply endearing movie about home, family and love is the ultimate movie for dreamers and romantics. It will secretly sneak up on you, and the tears you may experience from watching the movie will be out of joy that someone finally understands what it's like to feel lost and how wonderful it is to find someone that can pull you out of it. Very few movies have gotten that sentiment on film as well as Garden State.

forumcrew
I finnaly got to to see it, and it was GREAT anyone else seen it.. what did you think? I cant wait to see what he comes up with next him and his brother are writing a film. Natalie portmans performance was absolutely amazing in this as well i have to add that.. GO SEE IT!

Spitback
Very quriky movie one of the best film this year .

Fan of LOTR
When does this come out in cleveland? I want to see it so bad.

furryman
big grin damn you cry

kali99
I just saw this last night - and I think it was an excellent movie.. Scrubs boy didn't do so bad! I'm impressed

forumcrew
from: http://www2.foxsearchlight.com/gardenstate/blog/index.html
opening in over 600 screens after this weekend so more of you will be able to check it out

"I can't believe how many of you are responding to the film. Our little baby Garden State is blowing up. It makes me very proud to tell you, that due to the overwhelming response to the movie, Fox Searchlight plans to open the film up on over 600 screens this coming weekend!! That's crazy for this little movie. I just am so thrilled that so many of you are connecting to the story. First and foremost I always hoped people would have a good laugh and hopefully empathize with the characters. But the fact that so many of you are relating to the themes and subject matter is so comforting to me, because for many years when I was feeling all these feelings, I felt incredibly alone; I couldn't find many people who were "in it"... going through the mental puberty that your twenties can be. - (Or any time of your life that involves feeling long overdue for the next chapter of your life to begin.)"

Lyn
I've heard Natalie is excellent in this film so, I'm excited about it. The trailer looks wonderful...and Braff seems to have a really great visual eye. Just some of the images he has created...

I doubt I'll get to see it for ages though...

Fan of LOTR
I just saw it and thought it was great! I love how Large goes to the party and dosent really feel fit in so hes just like ok whatever.

MildPossession
I am waiting for it to be released here, looks excellent.

Also glad they used Frou Frou and Postal Service in the trailers, both great music.

soylentorange
I thought it was excellent...second best movie (in my opinion) of the year so far, after Eternal Sunshine. I thought it was beautiful, and really moving as well as extremely funny. Plus the soundtrack really fit the movie well. When they came out of the boat/house and were standing in the rain, the Simon and Garfunkle song was perfect.

forumcrew
yea he said the soundtrack he pretty much just put a bunch of his favorite music and made it fit the movie.. he almost couldnt get simon and garfunkle though.. their lable wanted more $$ then the entire movie budget was... but simon saw the seen where it was used and called him personally and told him he could use it.

<<Solo>>
I'm for sure going to see this soon....maybe tommorow.

ash23
just seen it in england it's so good i love this movie and the soundtrack is amazing, i love the ice skating alligator and he wallpaper skirt. It's just and amazing feel good movie. I hope Zach Braff makes more like it

KillTheLight
I loved this movie.Zach Braff was excellent the boy has talent.I can see why you like this movie so much Forumcrew.

MildPossession
Getting on dvd in a few days, so will be able to finally see it!!!!

ash23
has it come out on DVD in Engalnd yet?

forumcrew
dvd came out in the US today.. just got it a few hours ago..

Garden State was also #3 on comingsoons top 10 of the year

Shaolin Monk
picked up my copy 10 minutes ago, saw the movie in the first place because of all the praise forumcrew gave it yes

SlipknoT
I really need to see this movie it looks good, plus I'm from Jersey.

Cinemaddiction
Well, the title of the film really doesn't have anything that's pertinent to the story, other than being Largeman's stomping grounds. I mean, you won't recognize any major landmarks, etc.

I just wanted to say, I saw the film tonight and I absolutely loved it. I was kind of iffy at first, dismissing it as another indie rom com when it was in theatres, but I'm glad I gave it a chance. Zach Braff is brilliant.

Be sure to check out the "Garden State" review thread, also!

forumcrew
the title was going to be Large's Ark but they decided to change it because they thought it may be difficult for some people to get and Garden State was a little more catchy and fit easier..

also it won 3 national board of review awards
Top Ten film of 2004
best directorial debut- Zach Braff
Special mention for excellence in filmmaking

and Zach was nominated for 2 independent spirit awards for best first picture and best first screenplay

Fionnoula
jump

yay, he so deserves it, i love this movie and the soundtrack so much

Morning_Glory
saw this little pic- thought I should add it..

http://www.livejournal.com/userpic/26073656/5591202

bilb
laughing That was great!!

Zach Braff, Natalie Portman & Peter Saarsgard were all brilliant. Great friggin movie!!!! thumbup1

forumcrew
won a grammy too!

furryman
I'm still waiting to see this cry

Wolfie
If Zach Braff doesn't make it as a director, I'm gonna be mad. This movie is too brilliant.

forumcrew
im sure he will but as long as hes doing scrubs he wont have as much time for movies..

bilb
Really? Cool!!!!

forumcrew
yep and he won Zach won the 2004 Independent Spirit Award for Best Picture by a First-Time film maker for "Garden State". The Independent Spirit Awards honor films at least partly financed outside the Hollywood studio system. i mentioned his nominations for those earlier.. sideways took a lot of the spirit awards i believe

PIZZA WARRIOR
Great movie !!!

Though it took a lot of persuading to get me to see it, I was very happy I finally did.

Zach Braff has a bright future ahead of him.

Dudester
Great movie and a great soundtrack! I listen to the soundtrack all the time smile

SnakeEyes
I didn't hear about this film until it came out on DVD a while ago, and then I rented it, not expecting much from it, (considering I knew nothing about it). After I watched it, it was officially one of my favorite films. And I'm not even a big fan of "romantic" movies, if that's what you would label this one. Pretty much everyone in the cast played their parts, respectively, very very well. I loved Natalie Portman's character and Zach Braff did an excellent first job on this movie. I'd probably give it a 9 or 9.5 out of 10. Oh and I forgot to mention that I also bought it soon after seeing it at home.

JenR1215
i cried for and hour off-and-on when i 1st saw it in theaters..... It was emothion! I couldnt help it! blushing

The music in the movie made me cry! That's my excuse! tongue_ss

papabeard
Its good but its a little too sentimental and saccharine in places.

Loved the music. The Shins are great and Iron and Wine doing the postal service cover is ace.

JenR1215
that Remy Zero song made me CRY bored

I about slapped myself in the face, when that happened, lol

I was like, "WHY AM I CRYING?? IT'S NOT ANYWHERE NEAR SAD!!!"

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.