british comedy tv vs american comedy tv

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

dean7879
britain wins it for me easily...uve got only fools and horses, fawlty towers, mr bean, monty python, benny hill, men behaving badly, the office, little britain, bo selecta, porridge, steptoe and son, the royle family, blackadder.

america has the simpsons which i love and i think is genius and could knock most of the uk comedys to smitherines but uk has always produced the best comedy tv while america produce the best movies.

roundisfunny
What about All in the Family, the Mary Tyler Moore Show, the Andy Griffith Show, the Dick Van Dyke Show, I Love Lucy, Seinfeld, Cheers, Frasier, South Park, Futurama, Family Guy, King of the Hill, Curb your Enthusiasm, Strangers with Candy, Mr. Show, Chappelle's Show, Insomniac and the Man Show? These are but a few of the really, consistently good American comedies.

Of the Britcoms you listed, I've only seen (and intensely enjoyed) Python, Fawlty Towers, Blackadder, Mr. Bean and Benny Hill. I also like AbFab, the Young Ones and Yes, Prime Minister.

The Office is available on DVD here now...is it worth the investment? What is it comparable to?

ElectricBugaloo
just watch Nick at Nite. there used to be hilarious sitcoms and such.

LeAtHerRFace
American!

hezzy
the onli amazing brit comedy i can think of is the office... definately one of the best shows eva made... but right up there with the office is malcolm in the middle, southpark, jackass...

<<Solo>>
I think we all know the answer to this wink ... U.S.A.

<<Solo>>
I mean GOD havn't the British seen Chappelle's Show or Seinfield there's no match against U.S.A.'S comedies...

<<Solo>>
You do have great taste though Monty Python, Mr. Bean, and The Office but y'know you'd have to see the British Conedies to Love 'em is what I'm guessing.

dean7879
the office and mr bean is nothin compared to men behaving badly and only fools and horses which was voted best british sitcom eva which says a lot about the sitcom..the best episode is when they go to america and the main character del boy looks identical to a mafia boss who is set to go to prison foreva...the mafia family plan to kill del so it seems like the mafia boss is dead........its extremly funny and i think people from the states will love this sitcom

dean7879
the american comedies u mentioned are not all that good and ive seen most of em....most americans say that there comedy is better without seeing all the comedys britain has to offer...
...the tom green show is the best...funniest guy in the world
does america have a show called men behaving badly???

eleveninches
The office cant really be compared to anything else on TV. It's done in such an original way, I cant think of anything that is similar to it.

roundisfunny
I thought of the Tom Green Show later...it is (was) another groundbreaker. I also forgot to mention another Brit classic...Ripping Yarns!

whatshisface
i've only watched ab fab and mr. bean, so my judgement would not be fair 'cause i'm biased.

<<Solo>>
No, I think they have some gay @$$ show called Women Behaving Badly on some women channell here.

burlyman
British comedies are more original and funny than American, they just produce so much more, there are some great ones too!

burlyman
wink

Df02
2pints of lager and a packet of crisps
coupling

errr its pretty obvious whats happening here, UK ppl voting british... US ppl voting american

ever thought that maybe we have different humour? stick out tongue

claidisa_felton
lol yeh but i appreciate american humour and luv it...im british...i think friends, cheers, will and grace, especially scrubs i think are amazing, but i'll always love britain more...im very patriotic big grin. blackadder, coupling, mr bean, love actually (yeh sure its not tv but ya know!!), fawlty towers, peter kay. britain will always have better humour!

total metalhead
I like both.

Theres only a few Brit comedy tv shows I've actually got into, but I love them. The Office, Bo Selecta, Ali G and Fawlty Towers (that Basil guy is freakin psycho) are just as funny as Seinfeld, Spin City, Frasier and South Park thumb up

But my two fave comedy shows are Scrubs and The Simpsons which are both American so......

dean7879
i forgot that bottom is also a great brit sitcom......anyone like it?

does tom green still do shows now?

BarmyBrummie
eek! bottom, i loved that programme!!

British comedy by far is the best big grin One thing that bugs me about american shows is that they edit in laughs like on will and grace and friends. Whats the point of that?

total metalhead
Thats why Scrubs kicks ass. No laugh track.

Red Superfly
American:

South Park
Family Guy
Simpsons
Friends
Malcolm In The Middle
Futurama
Cheers
Taxi

Britain:

Little Britain
Red Dwarf
Fool an' Horses
The Office
Alan Partridge
Mr Bean
Dads Army

I love Family Guy, Alan Partrdige and The Office and Red Dwarf I watch religiosly and endlessly. My little brother is MENTAL on Mr.Bean.

I'm British and I think it's a close tie. I think Britain edges it out.

You Americans are lucky you have Family Guy and Malcolm in The Middle - if it weren't for those shows you'd be in trouble. There's only so many times before six coffee drinking over-acting friends can swap bed partners before it gets tedious.

Also, Family Guy has all teh right in the world to constantly rib Dharma and Greg.

<<Solo>>
Lol I didnt notice that. I guess it would kind of suck with a laugh track though.

BarmyBrummie
Scrubs rox big grin

dean7879
i also used to love spitting image which was a british satire show involving extremely funny puppets who portray real life famous people, mostly people in the uk such as the royal family and most political people such as john major who was prime minister at the time the show was out...and the show was about taking the piss out of them which obviously annoyed them ....i think the show got axed because of the piss taking of certain people....bastards ...i loved those latex puppets smile

http://rds.yahoo.com/S=96062883/K=spitting+image/v=2/l=IVI/*-http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/arts/2003/01/24/spitting1.jpg
PUPPETS FROM SPITTING IMAGE

big gay kirk
I think the problem is that British life and American life are so different that comedy just does not translate well... for example very few people in Britain can relate to the characters in Friends, and therefore don't find it funny... its popular over here, but mainly peopkle like it because they're supposed to... likewise, something like "open all Hours" doesn't go down very well in the states, as the Americans don't tend to have old fashioned corner shops... the humour is very place specific. The Office goes down well everywhere, because everywhere has Offices; likewise french comedy isn't very funny to a german audience. Stand up suffers as well; in most british comedy clubs, the typical American "Insult comic" would not go down very well, while I daresay the average British one-liner merchant would fail in NY... Look at jasper Carrott... after his sojourn in America, he changed his style to become more like the USA comics he'd seen, and his act stpped appealing quite so much over here... I do stand up, and I'm sure what has them rolling in the aisles at Birstall WMc wouldn't raise many titters in LA

big gay kirk
Also look at Pantomime and Camp... only the British really appreciate them...

dean7879
very true indeed

Red Superfly
Graham Norton, the campest of camp, seems to be doing great in America at the moment does he not? I guess it takes someone to break the mould over there to make you all REALISE that you like it. Again, that's why I prefer British comedy, because it's far more diverse. In America is either crazy madcap misadventures (Scrubs, Malcolm In The Middle) or your typical 'apartment' sitcom (Freinds, Ellen, Frasier, Dharma and Greg etc etc). But you guys have Family Guy - which definitely makes up for the lack originality elsewhere I think.

I remember Spitting Image - that was a quality show.

lil Texiness
I like British comedies, but I also like American, although American ones tend to be stereotypical at times.

sauron
i would have to say
brittish

american shows like fraisier etc etc are good...really good

but nobody beats basil when he snaps
or blackadders dry sharp humour
or delboys.....delboyishness

although the thing is

we dont make em like we used too

sure the office but before that...nothing since only fools and horses was really...really good

burlyman
i like...

British:
The Office, Bo Selecta, Ali G, Fawlty Towers, Blackadder, Monty Python, Black Books, Pheonix Nights, Bottom, Mr Bean, Alan Partridge, Red Dwarf, Little Britain, Only Fools And Horses, My Family... big grin

American:
Friends, Cheers, Fraiser, Scrubs, Family Guy, Simpsons, Futurama, Southpark, Malcom In The Middle... big grin

sauron
lol why does everybody love Mr. Bean

dean7879
havent a clue, he is funny but not hilarious....i prefered rowan atkinson when he is in blackadder...

MEN BEHAVING BADLY RULES!!!!!!!!

Red Superfly
Mr. Bean rules. It can be quite disturbing at times.

dean7879
yes its definetly disturbing big grin

claidisa_felton
yeah, thats one of the best things about it! but maybe thats also one of the reasons why its unpopular...stupid people are so used to watching stuff like friends and will and grace that shows you where to laugh, they dont understand where the funny parts are...*sigh*
if little britain didnt have a laughter track it would be the number 1 funniest thing on tv...right now thats scrubs

claidisa_felton
p.s. WOLVERHAMPTON WANDERERS?????? LMAO...sorry just had to get it off my chest

dean7879
whats so funny??they are a quality football team cool

dean7879
who watches dirty sanchez?

claidisa_felton
laughing uuuh yeh!! .... confused hang on , r u serious???

dean7879
as serious as i will eva be

dean7879
who thinks the simpsons as gone crap??

Linkalicious
yeah sorry to knock whoever created this thread, but if you think that The Simpsons is the only comedy worth mentioning from America...then your knowledge of our country is horrible.

Monty Python's good, but he's got nothing on Al Bundy and Married with Children.

and anyone who says the Simpsons has gone to crap is just ignorant. Their shows continue to get funnier and funnier as they go along. That's because they make fun of real world issues. So once the world stops doing stupid things...then the Simpsons will stop being funny.

dean7879
al bundy is unlikely to have anything on only fools and horses or fawlty towers or any other british comedy for that matter...neither married with children will eva be as good as any of the brit sitcoms......have u seen only fools and horses or men behaving badly??????probably not so u cant say anything....as for the simpsons, i merely think that it is not as good as it used to be...maybe crap was a bit harsh...and i dont think the only good show in america is simpsons, i like plenty of other shows but they arnt as good as british shows...thats my opinion

speiderman
Seinfield. Frasier. Simpsons. Jackass. Scrubs. Friends. All good shows. Eveybody Loves Raymond. * That won like 3 emmys.

dean7879
i watch all of them shows apart from scrubs and everybody loves raymond

Red Superfly
Oh yeah The Simpsons is still funny alright, just not as funny as Family Guy IMO. Both are awesome.

Linkalicious
Men behaving badly? How can you even try to put it up in the same category as Married with Children??? That show is meager in comparison.

dean7879
im not referin to the usa version of men behaving badly...im referin to the british one....the usa verison is a cheap copy.....married with children isnt even in the same league as brit men behaving badly
u will probably knock the brit mbb and u probably have never wathced it

Red Superfly
They made a US version of men behaving badly?

Add that to the US version of Fawlty Towers as one of the dumbest ideas ever concieved by an American.

dean7879
they made a us version of fawlty towers??!! that is dumb

Darkseed
Married With Children = 9/10.

Men Behaving Badly = 7/10.

Only Fools & Horses = 12/10.

Still Game 12/10.

The Simpsons = 9/10.

Faulty Towers = 6/10.

Father Ted = 12/10.

Red Dwarf = 10/10.

Friends = 9/10.

Fraiser = 9/10, Roz love .

dean7879
i agree with u on only fools and horses being 12/10
but not men behaving badly..that deserves 12/10
the simpsons also deserves to be 12/10

dean7879
comments anyone?

fuct_up_kid
OMG!!! really??? lol that must've been shit...no offence or anything!
but i've heard a lot of people talking about my wife and kids, and i don't see how anyone can even contemplate putting that in the same category as fawlty towers or only fools and horses. compared to them it's completely crap!

dean7879
well said son well said

fuct_up_kid
lol, thanks hun...but i'm telling the truth.

BackFire
American is better.

Jason Wyngarde
we have aqua teen hunger force. no contest. usa

BadKitty
I think the big problem is the United Kingdom probably mostly get our main stream shows and visa-versa..

honestly I haven't heard of half of the shows our British folks are talking about and most the shows they are saying is American humor are main stream quasi funny from American

I can't stand friends or fraiser (fraiser has it's moments but I'd never go out of my way to it)

heres some British shows I've watched and loved:
the goodies
the young ones
Monty python
Benny hill
absolutely fabulous(my fav)

see I have never even heard of fools and horses or behaving badly till I read this thread(I bet i'd love them)..has anyone from Britain seen the dave chapelle show? what do you think of it? allot of people in the us love that show.

dean7879
all those u named are great..especially benny hill and absolutely fabulous...if u like them then u will love only fools and horses and men behaving badly.....ofah is officially number one british sitcom eva....damn right
never heard of dave chappelle
ali g is also great comedy show which is now showin in the states

fuct_up_kid
blink never heard of ofah?? i mean, men behaving badly i can understand, it's not amazingly mainstream, but ofah? i thought everyone had heard of that!!! you should DEFINATELY check it out!!

dean7879
best comedy around...nothin will eva beat it..EVA

ragesRemorse
yeah black adder is funny, python is classic comedy history, but usually it seems to me that english sitcoms are dry,slow or mere slapstick. As of right now british sitcoms are funnier than american, but america has the funniest sitcoms ever. I mean these are just two shows out of a horde of classics, but england has never had comedies that can compare to seinfeld or south park.

dean7879
only fools and horses is way better than seinfield...seinfeld is great but no where near better than ofah....just wonderin if u have eva seen ofah ragesremorse? if not then i strongly suggest u do...and south park...its funny but u could of at least chose the simpsons to support your case...the simpsons is genious and on par with ofah..probably even better

PotterGurl
I love the british and I wish was british .....(dont ask me why) stick out tongue but honestly I think that American comedy is the best! there are soo many hilarious shows for exampleeeeeeeeeeeeee

fresh prince of bel air, friends, seinfield, simpsons, who's line is it anyway?, everybody loves raymond, king of the hill, king of queens, will and grace, george lopez, reba, 8 simple rules........

the list goes on and onnnn
british comedy is good too, i've seen one or two...lol
is Frasier british? it is right? it's good.
big grin other than that American comedy really cracks me up laughing
british comedy just makes me giggle confused

or perhaps if i saw more british comedy shows I would know. I dunno.

tc
goodbyee!

Jason Wyngarde
athf rules

fuct_up_kid
i think you're just one of the american people that don't get british humour. believe me, there are a lot of them lol roll eyes (sarcastic)

ragesRemorse
I think your one of those english people who just don't understand american humour, dont worry there are alot of them. smokin'

fuct_up_kid
lol...i wasn't being offensive, it's just that us british people have a different kinda humour to you guys...

dean7879
ali g seems to be making a hit in the states...even johnny depp loves british comedy...he begged producers of the fast show if he could appear in the last eva episode...he did nd it was pretty funny

fuct_up_kid
yeah, i saw that laughing
ooh, suits you sir!

ragesRemorse
Oh yeah i know, i wsant either. I love english comedy, always have and always will. My girlfriend (a little english girl) makes me watch her shows over here in the states, seeing how i get bbc, bbc gold. I just think humour has been fleeting over the past few years, not only shows but movies as well have been totally redundant when it comes to comedies. I mean da ali g show is one of the funniest shows i have ever seen, as well as black adder. It is hard to find a good sitcom anywhere, i always have to turn to cable like showtime and HBO, because it seems they are the new mediums for finding humour. Most of these new shos on theses channels blow most all of sitcoms, past and present out of the water

dean7879
ohh suits you sir
do u like it sir
do you
oh oh oh oh

lol...the fast show is class!!!!
have u eva watched only fools and horses rages remorse?
DO IT NOW!! lol

BadKitty
I used to get the bbc(only one British station) now my cable cut that off on me...I have no idea how I'm gonna get to watch these shows you all talking about...the rave reviews has really sparked my interest! big grin

furryman
sad You'll miss out on Little Britain stick out tongue

I just watched series 1 of The Office again big grin and I'm watching 2 later

dean7879
little britain is hilarious...u have to see it to believe it

furryman
Can't wait for the DVD to come out, and series 2 this autumn

dean7879
yeah im definetly gettin that.....after i collect all the only fools and horses of course

dean7879
i say british is the best at comedys cool

fuct_up_kid
i agree....so dean, patriotic much? roll eyes (sarcastic)

dean7879
a bit thumb up

fuct_up_kid
lol roll eyes (sarcastic)

dean7879
best american programs - simpsons, tom green, jackass,
best uk - only fools and horses, dirty sanchez, men behaving badly
lots more to choose from both countrys

fuct_up_kid
imo

american - scrubs
british - father ted

fuct_up_kid
but only fools and horses is great

ladygrim
come on most of the things america has done is because of the uk ... i mean yes freinds will and grace are good but the try and tryed to copy our comedys and failed because the uk comedy scene ist unique... u cant do red dwarf in american ,... or nething else they will just fail sorry...

shanie623
I like both actually. But I prefer British comedy (mainly because I get bored easily). I really loved Couplings, the UK version (even waaaaaaaaaaaaaay before the ---was it ABC or CBS American TV ripped it off).. heh.

fuct_up_kid
yeah, coupling is great!

BackFire
American comedy shows are hard to beat when done well.

South Park, Family Guy, Married with Children, The Simpsons, Mr. Show, SNL, Mad TV, The Critic, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Upright Citizens Brigade, are all great great shows.

Mr Zero
MR SHOW!

Thats some ****ed up shit right there.

BackFire
Yep, great stuff though. Just found out their fourth season is coming to dvd this tuesday, I nearly jizzed myself.

dean7879
anyone like the sitcom the royal family..quality

ladygrim
indeedy .. best show on ..

dean7879
my arse!!!!!

Devalion
um!

And to the very first question my answer is......brit tv.....coz maybe Im a brit! Taa daa!

shellspeare
British comedy was good in the 70's and 80's with shows like faulty towers, the goodies, monty python, steptoe and son, but do they really compare with the likes of friends and will and grace?

ladygrim
smile

Arahael
I'm American and I'm going to have to vote British here just because American humor is so, well American. British humor is more my style.

dean7879
yes cool

u have also missed out tons of better brit comedys than the ones u mentioned

k1rsty
Well im gunna have to say British 4 obvious reasons but I love Will and Grace... big grin

dean7879
i hate it when people mention blackadder and fawlty towers (which are both great)but they dont mention only fools and horses!!
ofah is the best sitcom in the world...its not even big in the states as blackadder and fawlty towers is.....ofah is officially no 1 comedy in britain..and imo the world....what more proof so u need!!

fuct_up_kid
i love blackadder a LOT...rowan atkinson is brilliant

but i have to agree that ofah is superior to...well...everything!

maybe the reason that americans don't like it as much is they don't understand the whole thing about peckham and the markets and british culture, if ya understand me

dean7879
yeah i get ya...thats there problem really...its not too hard to understand
anyone like men behaving badly(uk sitcom)

Mr Zero
In fact OFAH is utter shite. Thats why it appeals to so many people - it's a lowest common denominator brain-dead pile of nothing. Ask people whats so great about it and they mention "del falling through the bar" as the finest moment of Uk comedy. It keeps coming up as the funniest moment ever on UK Tv.

A man falls over. Funny.

The mob is always wrong.

dean7879
it aint the offical number 1 british sitcom for nothin
and i can think hundreds of more funny things than just del fallin through the bar..which was hilarious..anyone who dont laugh at this scene is crazy...
sayin ofah is shite is just the same as me sayin the simpsons is shite..
total craziness!!

fuct_up_kid
tis tis

kanis
alien British comedy easy we a have a more perverted view on comedy like the new series called green wing on C4 it is funnier than Scrubs is. Also the Americans try to copy our comedy shows like Men behaving badly the made an american version which got scrapped after a few weeks i heard anyway.

dean7879
men behaving badly is quality

ladygrim
indeed... very kewl

Magee
NO. Green Wing is NOT funny! Its stupid, it makes no sense and they try so hard to be funny it just turns out to be utter bs. It is not better than Scrubs. Tbh i am not a huge fan of brittish comedy. It just... seems to be.... I dunno wat im lookin for im just not a huge fan. However i am a fan of the office, Pheonix Nights why has nobody mentioned it? Well i skiped 5 pages so maybe they have lol, fuk thats it realy. Im not in to classic comedy so.... For American comedy i like, Friends, Scrubs, Everybody loves raymond lol its funny!, Sienfeld, cheers, will and grace and more.
So i guess wat im saying is, American comedy is better than brittish.

ladygrim
green wing omg i watched the first minute and had an opinion on late piece of crap

dean7879
never saw it..dont intend to

Anth
British Comedy. However, Canadian Comedy is god!

koolruningz
Both have great shows and shite shows. My favourite English comedies are Ali G, Blackadder, Only fools and horses, The young ones, Hale and Pace (the early years), Red Dwarf and Monty Python. Favourite US ones are Scrubs (classic), Simpsons, That 70s show, Ed, South Park and Malcom in the middle.

Unholy_Cheese
I think that sometimes american humour can be abit over the top

ladygrim
me too ... and can get quite repative

dean7879
the only american shows i like are....tom green, jackass, simpsons, south park..friends is ok i suppose

Kael
I have to say i prefere British comedy, but i do like American comedy.
The only reason British comedy wins for me, is that Phoenix nights by Peter kay is so funny.

Jackie Malfoy
OH my gosh!You forgot AB FAB!How you not put that on your list of English shows?Anyway I think AB Fab is the best tv of all time.And The Simspons and
and Family Guy and Futurama is great cartoon tv shows!Either way they are both great!
A question for a ny of you guys who live in England!What are the names of the channels that you have there?Are they fox five and all that stuff like we have here in america?JM confused Happy Dance

PippinTook
The only British comedies I've seen are Mr. Bean and Monty Python....I must say that Britain beats America by far! yes And, yes, I am American. confused Brits just have a way with comedy, you know? And, God, I used to love Mr. Bean! I don't know if it airs on BBC or not...I don't catch it...As for Monty Python, I just rent the movies or borrow recorded episodes from my friend. stick out tongue I really want to get BBC, though. I used to have it, and I loved it! Eh. Being poor sucks....

But, yeah, as for American comedy...The Simpsons, of course, have to be the best American comedy ever created. laughing out loud Most things on TV Land...Futurama...Family Guy...There are a few others, but yeah...I still think it's pretty sad that I've only seen two British comedies and I picked Britain over the US. blink Kinda sad. But, what can I say? I love the Brits. stick out tongue

Natch
young ones is funny.

kirstyw14
Some people say that Americans sometimes don't get the British sense of humour but I don't know. You all seem to like it.

The thing is with stuff like The Office. You either love it or hate it. And an awful lot of British people don't get it. So I think Americans have grown to love British comedy!

Red Superfly
Although I'm leaning towards British, i can't deny how funny you yanks can be.

Malcolm In The Middle, South Park and Family Guy regularly have me in stitches. Friends was watchable too.

There's a common theme with TV in both regions, and that is the good stuff is always overshadowed with the crap. Why does Will and Grace still pollute our ears? Dharma and Greg? Anything with those Wayans tw*ts??

British comedy can be equally as dire. Have you seen the BBC Friday night line-ups as of late? There's a god-awful, unfunny show with Neil Morrisey which is torture to watch and just goes on and on about sex, and the jokes are really forced and fake. There's that rubbish thing with Paul O Grady about a bingo hall. There's that horrible Jasper Carrot TV show which is nowhere near funny.

We had My Family for a while which was ace, but that went wierd and unfunny when Nick left because he's such a damn good actor.

UK Gold also shows things like Dinnerladies, which is a show I'd rather forget. And the Kumars and Goodness Gracious Me are one trick ponies "oh look, we are funny because we talk Indian" who suck the big one.

Then again, those new shows of Absolutely Fabulous were the best yet, plus UK Gold makes up for the garbage by showing classics like Red Dwarf, The Office, Alan Partridge and so on. It's a brilliant channel.

Only Fools and Horses isn't really side-splitting, but it's definitely classic comedy, same goes for Dads Army.
But it is depressing to see crap like Will and Grace stinking up perfectly good airtime when brilliance such as South Park is relegated into the twilight hours.

IndieKid
In General I would say British, because they have generally the best stuff, and alot of classic comedy, whereas alot of the old american stuff is cheese. Although good american shows are 3rd rock from the sun, and malcolm in the middle, they can't compete with stuff like little britain, french and saunders' stuff, never mind the buzzcocks, have I got news for you, graham norton etc.
(In my opinion.)

Red Superfly
Little Britain is awesome. Have you seen the 2nd series? My fave character is the old women eating jam, and one keeps throwing up.

IndieKid
I missed it, but for a week in Cornwall - so it was worth it. It's a beautiful part of Britain.
When is it on again?
Do you know if the first episode will be repeated?

fuct_up_kid
ordinary terrestrial channels are
BBC1
BBC2
ITV
channel 4
channel 5

but then there's also BBC3 and ITV2 and all that crap..

dean7879
my fave british shows are men behaving badly, only fools and horses, the royal family...i like all the others such as the office and little britain... but these ar my favs..
my fav american shows are the simpsons, tom green, jackass...dont really like friends or will and grace
and i love the carry on films from the 60's and 70's!! pure class..im collectin them all at the moment..u may have noticed that they are in most newaagents

_Matrix_Neo_1_
Oh my god! Yeah, dean is right.

British comedy rocks!

I don't believe it, he likes everything I like....Only Fools and Horses, Fawlty Towers, my mum watches Little Britain, Mr. Bean, Steptoe and Son was great but not showed on tv for ages......sad others ok or I don't like and watch....

I used to watch Young Ones but not on tv either.....sad

dean7879
i try my best cool

lol...im tryin to get hold of some little britain dvds...ive started watchin them at the moment

im also collecting the carry on films from newsagents..i think they are terrific comedy......anyone like carry on films????

wicker_man
British, with the exception of The Simpsons, Futurama and Beavis & Butthead, American comedies are awful and v.unfunny. But its just a matter of 'comedy taste buds'. Although in having said that there are some Brit comedies i don't like (The Office being the prime suspect), but the large majority i like and many of which i hold dear to my heart:

The Young Ones
Red Dwarf
Father Ted
Bottom
Goodnight Sweetheart
Only Fools & Horses
My Family
My Hero
Monty Pythons Flying Circus
Men Behaving Badly
Desmonds
The Goodies
Only When I Laugh
Next of Kin
2 Point For Children
Blackadder
Peep Show
The Brittas Empire
Rab C Nesbit
Mr Bean
& Randall & Hopkirk (Deceased)

I could go on forever.

wicker_man
Yeh Deano man i like 'em. I own every single one on video (including the Christmas specials and Columbus).

dean7879
sweet

i never classed columbus as part as the carry on films...theres only jim dale in it

my fav carry on films are cleo, khyber, at your convenience, screaming and abroad

wicker_man
I'd have to go for Convenience, Screaming & Cleo also but i love Carry On Loving & Dick as well.

dean7879
i dont like carry on dick that much... i think the carry on films got worse after carry on abroad....

_Matrix_Neo_1_
My mum likes the Carry On Films...

dean7879
why dont you?

_Matrix_Neo_1_
I'm not in to them really...I've watched them before and I remember some funny moments (like when one of the ladies bra flew off when they were exercising at the camp), but I'm not that much a fan....

lord xyz
britain is the best big grin we invented TV

barand1
Well said me ol' chap.

ladygrim
^ditto

Koenig
British comedy all the way laughing

jaden101
whats everyones opinion on steve coogan of alan partridge fame's new comedy, saxondale?

Wolfie
I go for British comedy over American. This is speaking generally. American comedies are usually quantity over quality while British comedies are quality over quantity. Though I do like more American sitcoms than British.

Bloigen
No competition. British.

SpadeKing
we have Dave chappelle, Jim carry and the Wayans brothers.......... and Madea laughing

Samurai100
British is so awesome we have blackadder, gavin and stacey, black books, fawlty towers, only fools and horses, mr bean the list is endless

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>