What's your definition of sequel?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Lord Soth
According to Randy in Scream 2, by definition sequels are inferior.

Websters Dictionary says that a sequel is 'the next installment of a literary or cinematic continuing the story begun in a previous one.

Liza Schwarzbaum from Entertaniment Weekly says: "sequels (i.e. Lord of the Ring, The Matrix, Star Wars) are planned conclusions, more suitable called "chapters." A sequel is what happens when a self-contained movie makes money and then a studio executive proposes a sequel (i.e. 2 Fast 2 Furious, all horror franchises)'

Which one do you agree with? Or do you have one of your own?

silver_tears
1. is definately wrong yes not all sequels are inferior stick out tongue LOTR comes to mind
2. sounds about right, but also sequels are not always continuations, like Matrix 2 it was a little different then the first,
3.closest one but still not right

For me a sequel is a telling of what is left in the story, a tying together of lose ends and questions answered that no one expected to have answered in the first one.

manny321
when sequals come to mind it says not ttt or rotk, more like shrek 2 or hp2!!

Lord Soth
Well, Harry Potter sequels can't be avoided, if you make the first movie, you've made a commitment to do all 7.

But Shrek 2 was right, if it hadn't been such a hit, there never would have been a sequel. Liza's definiton is definitley right to me

Jamief90
Randy also made distiction between a sequal and a trilogy.

I would say things like LOTR and Star Wars are trilogys, but i don't think 3 of a film makes a trilogy ie Die Hard I wouldn't class as a trilogy.

botankus
Can I substitute "story begun in a previous one" with "cash flow?"

Lord Soth
Yes, Die Hard triolgy was never planned. Only PLANNED trilogies classify as an actual trilogy. Besides they're making a Die Hard 4, anyway

Kes
For me a sequel is a continuation of a story (by story I also mean same characters). Whether it was planned or not.

Lord Soth
So does that mean that you agree with the dictionary? If so...PUT IT ON THE POLL, SILLY BILLY laughing laughing

Kes
Well the dictionary says nothing about characters. In my opinion the story might be completly different but the characters are the same so its a sequel wink
Except for Bond. The same actor makes it a sequel, actor changes it stops being a sequel. Well its a saga now stick out tongue

Lord Soth
Ah, whatever, this is an obscure thread anyway stick out tongue

godfather
my definition of sequel - godfather - part 2 (well if all sequel where as good as this then there would only ever make sequels)

amlap
in my mind a sequel is a movie that keeps the ball rolling, wheather they keep the characters or keep a continuing of the story (example: the dead serie)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.