anakin's slave chip/device

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Xantos Clone
Anyone think about what happend to anakin's hidden slave device (or chip) that is implanted in them??

once he was no longer a slave, shouldn't they have showed the removal or deactivation of it?...

I know I would be like "ok, get this thing out of me Watto or my buddy qui gon will cut your wings off with his saber!!!!" I mean, that's a major thing man!!!

maybe watto gets pissed off and detonates it anyway...it would explain some serious injury...(besides the so called lava pit thing..)

"any attempt to escape...AND THEY BLOW YOU UP!!! BOOM"

Ratcat
When Qui Gon went to collect Anakin Watto would have had to deactivate the device as part of thre deal, however that doesn't mean he removed it so it could still be inside his body.

Xantos Clone
do you think it will contribute later to any of his injuries?.....

or are we to just assume it was taken care of?...

Dim
There's a good possiblity that it explodes..I think there has to be more of a reason for GL to put it in the storyline then just what we see in TPM.

Ratcat
True, if could explain the big hole in the back of old Anakins head when Luke removes the mask in ROTJ.

Maybe Watto does it when (if) Anakin returns to Tatooine to find his mother.

tainted one
anakin says he is trying to make a device to locate his chip (so he can get rid of it himself i guess). he is pretty good with mechanical stuff. and 10 years is a long time between the movies. maybe it was taken care of in that time. maybe they won't even mention it, but it would be cool if it blew up.

how about this for a theory. obi-wan senses that anakin is turning to the dark side. he goes back to tatooine and finds watto and gets the control thingy that activates anakin's chip. then he confronts anakin and says, "turn to the light side of the force or i'll blow you up!" anakin sneers and attacks. obi-wan knocks him backward into a lava pit and then presses the button. lava erupts 30 meters into the air and obi-wan walks away.

okay, maybe it won't happen that way. but it was fun being that creative for a moment.

darth stu
if the chip is designed to keep slaves from escaping, then i doubt that anakin could survive the blast.

Dim
smile I can't imagine OB1 blowing Anakin up... I think it's possible that the chip does blow up but doesn't kill him though...the chip could be damaged or erroded... it's sort of how old landmines are. They're designed to be 100% fatal but it doesn't aways work that way.

Jedimaster3838
I think we might be reading to much into this. When Anakin was freed I just assumed the device was taken out or permenately deactivated. I can't see that playing an important part. But what do I know? Your guess is as good as mine?

Dim
True...just the fact Lucas chose to add it in makes me a little suspicious that it will come into play later smile

King Jedi
Doesn't the TPM novel include a scene where Anakin and Qui-Gon go to Watto to get the chip removed? I just don't think Lucas wanted to include what would have been a very boring scene.

Dim
I don't know if it's in the novel...but you know the rule..if it's not in the movie it's subject to change..smile

King Jedi
I forgot about that. Maybe it was in the script. I definately read about it somewhere.

Great Master Brit Hunt
It is in the script.

Darth Daft
Yes and I seem to remember it being in the novel as well.

Dim
Yes..but it's not in the movie...that's what matters right?

Darth Daft
Yeah I guess, but I don't really think Watto is likely to set the thing off and kill Anakin. He isn't THAT mean is he?

Xantos Clone
no...I don't think he will set it off....someone may try it, but I really think that deep down watto likes the kid.....he did not want to loose him for other reasons...besides loosing a slave or worker...

His downfall is greed, not hate...

Darth Daft
Basically I think it will not even be mentioned in the next two films. It's not really something anyone should be worrying about.

Dim
I think it's too early to blow it off entirely smile

Xizor
We were all just to assume it was removed. Any talk about the "return of the chip" is pretty foolish.

Darth Daft
I agree......I think

Dim
Well...I think I'll have to disagree with this one..I think it's perfectly reasonable to think that we might hear more about it.

Darth Daft
No no no, I don't think we'll hear about it at all. I just can't imagine someone in Episode 2 even bringing the subject up ("Hey, Anakin, remember that slave device that Watto put inside you?"wink
I think it will all be forgotten, as otherwise it would not make sense in the novels of Episode 2 or 3, because in the novel of TPM it is removed completely.

Dim
Yes, I know it was in the novel...but it wasn't in the movie..and what isn't in the movie might as well not even happen.. I understand everyone else's feelings on this...so I'm going to be the odd man out here...I think it might come up...The man ends up with a mishapen head for pete's sake...maybe it explodes or something..

Darth Daft
Well it's good to be adventurous and predict the unlikely, but still I'm sticking with the fact that it won't be mentioned.
I guess we'll all find out in little less that 600 days.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.