Friday Night Lights...The Movie

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Steven Jackson
Hi Movie Fans !

I'm here to tell you about a movie that will be out in October, 2004.
"Friday Night Lights" ...a book by H.G.Bissinger, base on a true story back in 1988, Odessa, Texas.

Now your normal movie last about one and a half to two hours long depending on the length of the story. Have you ever wondered, when you're watching a movie, why nobody never makes a mis-take in the movie ?

I was on the set when this movie was being filmed and I learned why. The actors spend so many hours and hours practicing and doing the same scene over again until the actors don't make any more mis-takes. That was some experience.

If you're a Billie Bob Thornton, Tim McGraw and a Derek Luke fan then you will like the behind the scene pictures taken of the cast & crew working on this film.

(click link below)

http://www.writersedge.org/friday_night_lights/index.html

Why do we love movies the way we do ?

botankus
Even though this thread is a plug, I liked the book.

I read it when it came out. I will see this movie because of the book.

tess
It was a plug and he is using plagerized material. Not much of a writer, huh>>>

Cinemaddiction
Saw it this afternoon and it's basically a High School version of "The Program", just that "The Program" seemed 100 times more inspired and less contrived than FNL.

botankus
Really? I read the book when I was a teenager and it was good. That sucks to hear that about FNL the film, Cory.

BloomBabyGirl
i actually enjoyed it more then id thought because i wasnt a fan of the book

Drumdude1167
Im reading the book after i saw the movie and im still in the process of reading it....actually i just started it today, im only about 2 pages into it and i still cant really make out if i like it or not, but i like how H. G. Bissinger writes it, its flows smoothly, coming from a book lover/writer/film maker, all good stuff from actors and whatnot in the movie, i loved the movie, the shakey camra angles is what we call shakey cam, or panic cam, i personally like to use it alot, because if the way it shows panic and other things like that.

Cinemaddiction
It's called seizure cam, and it's to liven up a drab point and shoot sports movie. In addition to being annoying, it's really cliche.

Jedi Priestess
Now I heard this was excellent.......

Cinemaddiction
Eh, I think those of us with High School sports backgrounds are going to be a little biased either way. I'll tell ya, this movie was one tired cliche after another.

Morning_Glory
Lucas Black - the kid from Sling Blade - has sure grown up droolio

Beastro
Where do you come off saying that?If it was a cliche the football team would've won at the end. Boobie Miles would have found a miraculous way to come back to playing football.

This is one of the best sports movies ive seen because it wasnt really about footbal. It was about these characters and there stories and problems. Like the Boobie Miles who gets injured and suffers from an emotional panick for not being able to play football anymore and the guy with the abusive and competative dad.

I loved the movie because it was different and didnt have the big glorious ending but in a way it did and it worked.

Cinemaddiction
I spoiler tagged the hell out of your post, thank me later.

I come off saying what I did because it's been done so many times before in countless other sports, namely football, movies. Like I said, this was a junior varsity version of "The Program". The similarities are almost sickening.

**** it, I'll compare them for you right now.

"The Program"

Coach Sam Winters - Is forced to win under scrutiny of the school, or he's out of a job.

Darnell Jefferson - Second string tailback who ends up going first string.

Joe Kane - Matured quarterback with an abusive/drunk father.

Alvin Mack - Showboating player who has his career cut short by injury, and can't play in the title game.

Boosters - The ones that pay the players for doing well in games.

Then, there's "Friday Night Lights"...

Coach Gary Gaines - Is forced to win under scrutiny of the school, or he's out of a job.

The Kid that filled in for Boobie - Second stringer who ends up going first string.

Boobie Miles - Showboating player who has his career cut short by injury, and can't play in the title game.

Don Billingsley - Matured quarterback with an abusive/drunk father.

Sponsors - The ones that give preferential treatment to the players for doing well in games.

Like I said. Cliche after cliche. Guess what, the "surprise" loss at the end was just to buck the parade of cliches in the flick, and make you think the coach was going to lose his job, which he apparently didn't after all.

Beastro
So it has a comparison with one movie.Look at some of the recent sports flicks that have came out that are far from this flick.I dont care if it had comparison with one movie it was well acted and a great story that was told well.

Cinemaddiction
No, the characters are pretty much in every "rags to riches" football movie. FNL can be compared with plenty of other football movies in general. I'm surprised nobody else has compared it to "Varsity Blues". Shove a fatass white kid in FNL, and again, you've got the same damn story.

The movie was contrived, pretentious, and was filmed by a spastic.

Beastro
The thing is what does that have to do with the movie?Im sure alot of people that saw it recognized its simularities to previous films or film.The fact is how did that mess up the movie for you?Where you capable of looking past your own personal vendetas and seeing the true beauty of this film?

Cinemaddiction
Because it's nothing new? I expected to see a movie about a really interesting team? Instead I got one more movie with a podunk town, obsessed with football, in Texas no less (Varsity Blues, Unnecessary Roughness), and a team of the usual suspects.

There was the typical roller coaster ride of a team in jeopardy, a coach with a mid life crisis, injuries to star players, the eventual bounceback, drama at home, pressures at school, athletes getting special treatment from teachers. Then there's this one point in the film that really killed it for me. A ****ing STUPID "cointoss" to decide who goes to the State finals? Uhh..why not have the two teams play each other?

For once, couldn't there be a move about a football team that is actually a team, and not their individual drama? I guess not. (Vendettas? What the ****..lol.)

JamalMagloire
Haven't read the book, but I was disappointed with the movie. Didn't know Tim McGraw was in it so that was a nice surprise and he did a good job in the role.

Cinemaddiction
Tim McGraw was incredible, indeed. It's not too often that music artists turn actors debut with such an awesome perofmance.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.