Why the hood?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Bagels
If it's something I have never understood, is if it was so obvious that Sidious was Palpatine, then why did he always have his hood up to hide his face, even from his own apprentices? Do you think Lucas may give some clue to that in the third one?

LordRevan
Good question But i'm not sure why he did. i just ignore it.

dragonx
interesting point but i have absolutly no cleu why sad

cornponious
It seems to me that he wore the hood because he was also a sith. Darth Maul wore a hood and he was a sith.

This makes sense.

corn

Darth Jello
as part of sith tradition and to hide his identity from nute gunray and others. they are only partially in the loop.

Rogue Jedi
the sith are into the whole secrecy thing. concealing their identities is essential to their plans. the jedi? dunno. cuz it looks cool?

Dirty Vader
damnit! Palpy in the Original trilogy wore a hood, luke wore a hood, obi wan wore a hood, its part of the costumes. As for the part where Sidious and Palpy are the same guys aint a fact yet, and i dont think they actualy are.

Bagels
Woah! You don't!? You have got to be only the second person I have run into since Episode 1 to actually agree with me on that. Everyone was always fighting against me on that issue so I got to a point where I just didn't care anymore. I'm willing to go both ways on it.

And as far as the hood thing goes, chill out! It was only a question on why he had to hide his identity even when he was alone with his apprentices, okay?

finti
Sidious is Palpatine and in EP III we will learn how he manage to disguise himself

Ushgarak
I think people who do not think Palpy and Sidious are the same are hoping for something in the plot which simply is not there.

Swordfish2k0
Yeah absolutely star wars films hardly have complicated plots, i doubt there will be some big plot twist with Palpatine

yerssot
come to think of it, since that the sith are (as said in the ep I DVD, created by a fallen jedi who got seduced by the dark side), they kept the jedi clothes but made it black (or at least dark).

So, after it being their "official" clothes, the hood indeed gives them the secrecy thingie but I guess that besides the Neimodians, it wasn't really needed

Dirty Vader
Loook here is what I beleive....they are the same but not totaly. I think they'll be something to do with a clones. Like one being the clone of the other.

mindbugaling
okay............... that is the stupidist thing i have ever heard in my entire life.

Sith Master X
Yeah I also am hoping we get to find out how Palpy disguised himself. One scene he is Sidious speaking with Dooku, and the next two, he's paply looking off at the beginning of the clone wars. Hopefully this is explained in the 3rd Episode and I hope it's a good reason as well.

SMX
cool

Bagels
Yeah, I never did like the clone idea, even when I WAS a firm believer that they were different people.

Ushgarak
Yup, the Clone idea doesn't really work well.

That does not require specific explanation, SMX!

Sith Master X
Well in your opinion maybe it doesn't, but in mine it does. Think about it. Look at how many people have been all dazed and confused thinking Palpy and Sidious are two different people. It is understandable people would think this because you see Palpy and Sidious in scenes right next to eachother and the roles are completely opposite. Many questions have been raised about how Paly can interchange so quickly taking on both roles at the same time.

In Episode 3, Palp will reveal himself as Sidious, and many people are going to be confused because they don't take the time to look deeper and read the spoilers like we do, let alone not everyone has taken in all the aspects of the OT.

See what Sidious is doing is something that is very mysterious and unique. He can disguise himself. Not explaining how he can do this after he reveals himself as both 2 people would be like the creators of Spider-Man not explaining how Peter Parker gets his powers. We know he can shoot webs, but how? Well some know that Sidious and Palpy can be both the same person, and some of want to know how he can manage this. Maybe it's Sith Magic perhaps. Who knows? I don't. So for me, I would like an explanation. It won't ruin the movie by any means whatsoever if one is not given, but it would be something to learn from and would give things plenty of clarification which makes it more sense.

SMX
cool

Red Superfly
Guys come on, it's obvious why Palpatine covers up his head.

*possible Episode 3 spoilers*

On the back of his head is none other than LORD VOLDEMORT!!!!

Sith Master X
laughing

SMX
cool

Darth Jello
rick mccallum:"palpatine and sidious are one and the same"

Bagels
Where did he say that? Fans everywhere give that quote, but fans have a way of making things up too. Is there a link?

Sith Master X
I don't know about a link, but this is true. They both are the same person. If you watch Episode 1, pay close attention to Palpy's scenes with Amidala. The way he talks and how the camera focuses on him gives him a very shady personality. Also in one of the last scenes in Episode 1, Mace says "But who was destroyed, the master, or the apprentice?" Right after Mace says this, the camera moves to reveal Palpatine's face.

Then again, in the OT, the Emperor's name is Emperor Palpatine (Darth Sidious), and he is Supreme Chancellor Palpatine in the movies thus far so it appears he is the same person based on his name.

SMX
cool

Bagels
Oh believe me, I've heard all this before. Don't worry, I'm not up to debate this, I just wanna see the quote.

Sith Master X
Well at least Episode 3 should explain it all...hopefully! smile

SMX
cool

cornponious
If you think Palpatine and Sidious are two different people, then (and I mean this in the NICEST way possible) you are truly suffering from the dreaded ID 10 "T" error.

cornponious

Sith Master X
Well like I said, I know they are the same person, but I just don't get how he can manage to pull it off constantly changing his identity. That's what I meant by "Episode 3 should explain it all." smile

SMX
cool

Darth Jello
i mean, just listen to the episode I commentary. Lucas refers to the hologram in ESB as SIDIOUS

Ushgarak
It has nothing to do with analyzing spoilers. It is simply a waste of time to go in-depth into explaining something which can be as simple as 'Hard to sense, the Dark Side is'. Why look for some weird magic explanation? He just pulled it off and the power of the Dark Side meant that no-one sensed it.

You do not need every single thing spelled out for you, especially when pushed for time.

I saw Rick mention they are the same people in an Empire magazine interview two months before TPM came out.

yerssot
and GL refering to Sidious and Palpatine as the same geezer

Dirty Vader
Palpatine needs has to lead the sith and the senate at the same time. But he must accomplish both these tasks himself, even though he can't possibly do all of that at the same time. A clone of himself would make sure he had personnal assurance over everything, sith and senate.

What was the point in hiding Sidious's face during the first two films if its absolutely certain one is the other. But there's still that mystery anyways. A clone would mean that they are the exact same but at the same not entirely the same. Thus worth hiding Sidious's face.

Then there's this all issue about an army of clones in Episode II, so me saying didn't just come out of the blue. While some say this is the most stupid thing they heard in their life, others are looking for a logical explanation to all this.

Sure this is probably not the real explanation, because this whole Palpy clone issue appears in Dark Empire an EU source (a sacriledge to Lucas's definite vision and considered fake star wars for some thus they're completly refusing it without much thought.) Plus there's this one and the same issue.

But if Palpy isn't a cone, I'm pretty sure someone else is.

Dirty Vader
Glad you agree with me I think. I was scenes you were refering to, on my argument above until I realised they're not happening at the same time. Dooku comes back from Geonosis immediately, and UPON arrival speaks to Sidious. Then there's the Mace, Yoda and Obi Wan scene. The jedi couldnt have come back so quickly (Obi Wan's injury looks healed and even if it doesen't, I think he'd be getting some medical attention first before appearing. Then there's Palpy over looking the army, happening at the same time as the previous scene most probably.

Dirty Vader
Glad you agree with me I think. I was ging to use the scenes you were refering to, on my argument above until I realised they're not happening at the same time. Dooku comes back from Geonosis immediately, and UPON arrival speaks to Sidious. Then there's the Mace, Yoda and Obi Wan scene. The jedi couldnt have come back so quickly (Obi Wan's injury looks healed and even if it doesen't, I think he'd be getting some medical attention first before appearing. Then there's Palpy over looking the army, happening at the same time as the previous scene most probably.

yerssot
well, DV, why is he hiding under a hood? cause we went back in time, "officially" you don't know he's evil, nor do you "know" that Anakin will become Vader

Dirty Vader
I dont think "officialy" has anything to do with this. I do see your point though. probably right.

yerssot
yeah, that term wasn't well placed messed didn't found another word at the moment

The One Part 2
In the OT, the Emperor is not named. He is simply called "the Emperor."

Ushgarak
Not on-screen, but he is called Palpatine in the script and from the original novel also.

yerssot
read the novels big grin

The One Part 2
Yerssot and Ush- I thought only things on film were considered canon.

Darth Jello
in episode II, dooku says that the senate is under the influence of darth sidious. this could imply that palpatine is using the force to influence their decisions

Ushgarak
TOP2, take a look at the thread about canon, though that is indeed the only reliable source. Point is, though. George Lucas always called the Emperor Palpatine; that was the name George had for him.

Jello- why overcomplicate? Whilst his powers would help him, why can Sidious' control not be old fashioned exploitation of corruption? Quite aside from the fact that Sidious HEADS the senate...

Sith Master X
Hey I agree with you Ush. No you don't need everything spelled out for you when you only have about 7 hours of screen time to tell a 12 year story. You have to put the main plots in first and Sidious (Palpy) disguising himself is not the center to the story. I only raise this point because many many people do not understand they both are the same person. There's going to be confusion to those who don't deeply follow the Saga when Episode 3 is released. See, many people don't follow the story as well as we do. You really need to watch these movies more than once and get into all the extra detail put into it. Not everyone does this, and they know little about Sidious and Palpy, so when it's revealed in Episode 3 that they both are the same, people are going to wonder "how can this be?" seeing that in the past two movies the two characters have scenes right next to eachother with opposite roles. It's going to be confusing to those who don't deeply follow the series, but enjoy to see the movie once.

Ush, I think the only reason you're arguing this is because you already know as well as myself and many others that they already are the same person so we don't need an explaination. It's obvious to us. But again, it's unobvious to others. I just believe if it was explained how he changes his identity so quickly, it would clear up confusion to those who don't understand this. SMX cool

Sith Master X
This is a very good point. But to argue that a little, look at the sky in all of those scenes. It's all red and gold and the atmosphere does not change, so there is no telling of how much time passes because everything looks like it's happening at once. People may not realize that time has passed because it hasen't gotten darker or a changed effect, all these scenes are right next to each other so it all looks like it's happening at that same time. But that is a good point you made though. smile

SMX
cool

odin
ya know.... i don't know why they diddn't just clone the heck out of Anikin when he was young...... (palpy)

and created an army of sith!!!!!!!
with major power!!!!

Mua ha ha ha ha!!!!!!!!!

Ushgarak
No, I entirely reject that last paragraph. All they need to ddo is reveal that he is the same person. NO in-depth explanation of 'how he did it' is needed. It is already as clear, once revealed, as it needs to be.

Rogue Jedi
what the hell does all this have to do with hoods?

yerssot
they expanded on it wink

Sith Master X
Well I guess when Episode 3 comes out we'll see whether or not it's explained. Again, no explaination won't ruin the movie by any means at all. I can admit to that.

SMX
cool

Dirty Vader
Its nothing to do with people not following the saga like you do Sith. Lucas could confirm things in the first two films without putting in that suspense.
And yes if they are one and the same, I bet there'll still be something there to give us a shock in the revelation.

Sith Master X
I'm trying to say that people who don't follow it as closely as us might not get the whole Sidious/Palpy being on of the same thing. That's all. I do think about others rather than just myself all the time.

SMX
cool

Sith Master X
Yes, I agree with this. Hopefully their will be some sort of shocker that'll take us by surprise. smile

SMX
cool

Captain REX
They are the same person. That's all there is to it.

Bagels
Well, this thread has taken quite an interesting turn. wink

Darth Jello
yes, soon it will transform into a debate on the morality of circumcision... really, why the hood?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.