Quentin Holywoodizes Cannes

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

sarahvma
Opened my newspaper to find a pic of Quentin hiding half his face behind a black-and-white scene referance cue, dressed all in black with the headline reading: CAN QUENTIN GIVE CANNES A JOLT?

Seems Mr. Tarantino, a winner of the Palme d'or himself for Pulp Fiction, has decided that the decidedly unhip film festival needed a revival by adding some unrefined audience favorites to the bill. He's also this year's president on the Cannes jury, where I do believe his own film is being shown. Movies like Dawn of the Dead, The Ladykillers, Shrek 2 and other un-artsy movies are getting their time at the same theaters where Reservoir Dogs had its first showing fourteen years ago.

Hey, at least it's cool that he got named president, but somehow going to Cannes to watch Shrek 2 doesn't sound as appealing...

SenshiNaka
I guess we see art as something different than an average "hollywood" film, but the first Shrek was funny. And i think that if you spent a lot of time on a movie people may depict as un-artsy you wouldnt listen, art is very different to different people.

sarahvma
Oh, I've never been a fan of art films, and technically it was Quentin who kind of brought super pop culture to Cannes anyway... I'm just echoing the article. I'd rather see Shrek 2 than some Italian film about a young boy's first sexual experience with an older woman... wait, that's ALL Italian films...

They're saying that a third of the competitors are east-asian flicks, but insist is has nothing to do with Mr. Tarantino's tastes... lol

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.