Lucas-bashing article on MSNBC.com

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Creechuur

Creechuur
Jeez, what a jerk. Definitely not a SW fan.

Made some decent points, but he didn't have to be so snide about it. I'd like to see his Epic Space Opera 6-part movie.

Sith Master X
Wow, that was an intense article.

Unless the guy who wrote that article believes he can do a better job then Lucas and meet the expectations of the movie bussiness, then who is he to talk? I admit there was room for improvement on the first one, little on the second, and not everyone has to like SW, but some of the things he said about it were just plain wrong.

SMX
cool

Corsie
Is that guy a Lucas hater or something?

Creechuur
Yeah, only we can talk smack about Lucas!!!

You have to love Star Wars to not love Lucas.

Red Superfly
The guy had good points, very good points at those.

He also said what most of us are all secretly thinking anyway.

And to me, he's a Star Wars fan, he's old school, and obviously totally fed-up with the prequels. While I myself quite enjoyed the prequels, I have to admit the scripts were terrible, the directing was p**s poor and some of the ideas were terrible.

Give the guy a break.

Ushgarak
Errr... no, sorry, most of that article is just silly. The only decent point is that Lucas doesn't have a strong writing team any more- as GL freely admits, he cannot write.

Much of the rest of it was the kind of moaning I expect from an adolescent and is, again, mostly deifying the original films with qualities- especially with ROTJ- they did not have.

Fact is, there is nothing really wrong with the direction. I do not think a Lucas replacement would improve the chemistry between Portman and Christensen. The comment about racial stereotyping for Jar-Jar is contemptible, and people have to remember that these are kids films.

There is not even a problem with the basic storyline. The main faults that can be laid at Lucas' door are two-fold- that it looks like too much is trying to go i to too little time, and that, as said, he can't write. But just because he does some things badly, is to ignore that he does some things very very well. And yes, it would be nice if he could assemble a team of the calibre that created Empire Strikes Back, but it has been clear for a long time that is never going to happen.

Corsie
People need to realize that Lucas is making the SW movies for kids. So if kids like them, which they do, Lucas has succeeded.

amity75
Never a truer word has been said. I don't know any kids who don't like the prequels. The people who moan about the prequels are fuddy duddy selfish adults who have lost contact with the kid inside them.

LanİeWindu
Why do people feel the need to trash HIS vision?

Sure not everybody will like it, but it's not their movie.

Lucas Sucks!
Yeah! atlast someone with brains! good review for the guy who wrote it!

spadesmamma61
Lets not forget here that without Lucas there would be no Star Wars for all of us to love and debate endlessly on. confused

Lucas Sucks!
well it could betwo things
one he isnt a good star wars fan or secondly you are all geeks and you al suck.... and cant understand how bad this movies are

Sith Master X
Well again, I think Lucas has done a decent job. Maybe some aspects could have been better, especially some of the script, but I don't think these movies are totally horrible either.

SMX
cool

Dejio
I think the writer of that article is indeed a fan. I myself, a SW fan, shares his views. He may have been a little sarcastic towards the end of his article but most of his points were true. The prequels was a definite let down.
I can see that most of the people here are still in denial (I assume). But it's nice to know that some have gone past the Star Wars hype and have seen the prequels for what it is; a poorly written and directed film.

Sith Master X
Let's face it, we all have opinions. Many people love the prequels, many people don't. Many say these movies are great, many say it sucked. In the end, who is right? No one is because it's nothing more then one's opinion which is niether right nor wrong.

SMX
cool

spadesmamma61
Well said Sith Master X big grin

Ushgarak
It is intensly and distastefully arrogant to brand a difference of opinions 'denial'.

aracai

darktim1
why should msnbc have any say they probibley would'nt have most of the computer stuff today without george lucas these are his films and everyone can blast first two not me I thought the lightsaber battle in episode1 was awesome thats why I saw it 32 times and the episode2 was good movie it's not lotr but come on man thats why nobody can trust the media these days for now may the force be with you

Sith Master X
I have alot of respect for someone who's opinion is that the prequels suck. I'm fine with that even though I differ in opinion. I love the prequels, but I respect those who think the prequels are horrible. The thing that I can't stand is when people say "The prequels suck and that's final!" They make it out to be a fact when instead it's just the way they feel about something.

SMX
cool

Lyn
I agree. I love the prequels. I love the casting. I love the romance. But that doesn't mean that like SMX, I don't respect other people's opinions. I do agree that the writing for the romance in Clones was not the best, that it was very poor...I KNOW. This, however does not make me hate the films or the actors or even GL. If you dislike the prequels or a disappointed with them, that's fine, that's YOUR opinion, I just hate having to justify why I DO like them...it's ridiculous.

yerssot
that's harsh messed

hey, although "From the moment I met you, all those years ago, not a day has gone by when I haven't thought of you" is cheesy, it DOES work I tell ya big grin

Lyn
I didn't mean it in the way it was recieved...I meant like, just because I LOVE the films doesn't mean I don't respect other people's opinions. And I didn't want to upset SMX...it just came out wrong....I DO RESPECT OTHER PEOPLE'S OPINIONS...sorry...

laughing See...maybe the lines aren't THAT bad... wink stick out tongue

yerssot
don't you go apolegising, you're a jedichick, you should beat everyone up big grin

"I'm haunted by that kiss that you should never have given me" ... it has it's highlights wink

Lyn
laughing Yeah...I know huh?? Nah...I stuffed up my post...

It does...definitley.

yerssot
better the post than the chicken ...

you could keep it a secret wink

Lyn
laughing Sorry about that though SMX...

stick out tongue wink

Sith Master X
That's ok Lyn. wink

SMX
cool

Dejio
I'm not saying that all who still loves the prequels are still in denial. I agree, we do have different opinions.

But the thing is, I still remember when I wrote a negative review here after watching Episode II in the theaters (while it still wasn't shown in America!), a lot of people attacked me saying things like, "You're not a true fan.", "You really haven't seen the movie","You're a liar", "The movie is great, blah, blah, blah.." well in fact, they haven't seen the movie themselves! And after watching the movies, they still say it was an awesome movie. Then time passes on, these same people start to agree that it was not that a great movie after all. That's when I say that these same people were still "in denial" at that time. And who knows?! Maybe some of you are still are (I ASSUME).
roll eyes (sarcastic)

Dejio
And PLEASE! Stop with the reasoning that these movies were done with the intention of pleasing the kids. COME ON! Who are we kidding here?
I think it's just a lame excuse for a badly made movie (concucted by GL himself, no less).

Is he saying that kids today are not that critical enough to tell a badly directed/scripted movie from a good one?

And if kids don't care much for dialogue and are only interested in action, don't you think it would be wise to have a good dialogue, just the same, for the benefit of the adults who do care?

What do you guys think?

Corsie
I think GL is making the SW movies for kids because he always keeps the rating at PG although he knows all the older people would love to see more violence in the movie. And when SW was first written the studio planned to cut it into 20 minute shows to be shown on a children`s television program on Saturday mornings. I`m not denying that the prequels aren`t that great and could have been ten times better, but I still love the prequels regardless of their flaws.

finti
well some of us agreed upon what you said about AOTC my view on it back in May 2002

Both prequels have been huge disappointments

Sith Master X
I agree with Dejio, SW is not made to be a kids movie. In my opinion, Lucas just made some bad choices giving the illusion of SW being a kids movie, like Jar Jar. He had an important role, but character and personality wise I believe it was the wrong decision. Still, despite Jar Jar in Episode 1 and his limited role in Episode 2, I have always enjoyed both movies.

SMX
cool

Dejio
"Bad choices", I agree. He really would've benefitted from a talented script writer. And I also think, GL should've tried directing small movies first before he tried his hands on the Holy Grail of modern cinema, Star Wars.

Red Superfly
Maybe GL thought Star Wars was going to be a small movie, and therefore took it on because he knew he was safe with it? Nobody knew it was going to be such a hit.

Creechuur
George Lucas makes movies for George Lucas. He has hundreds of people working on a movie just for himself. I think the guy could care less what any of us think, fan or not. He knows he can put Yoda onscreen doing the Achy Breaky Heart and millions will flock to see it. Even if it flops, he still has gazillions in his bank account. He hasn't accepted help on scriptwriting because he doesn't care whats good or what anybody wants, he's a rich man and he's going to tell the story how he sees fit.

...and all I can do is ***** about it in a forum.

U Neek
Creechuur that is spot on!

Creechuur
I give Lucas all the credit he is due for creating one of my favorite universes...but likewise, he also has to take the credit for totally blowing the prequels so far.

Sometimes I just think..."thank goodness for the EU".

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.