Anakins Saber in ANH

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

bILLYgOAT
remember the scene in ANH
Ben "which reminds me, your father wanted you to have this
its a lightsaber the weapon of a jedi."

Does anyone know how and when in EP III Anakin says to Obi
"give this lightsaber to my son".?

moonwalker741
prob b4 he falls into the lava pit...but thats my opinion...so dont judge

The Ones
Good point

Sesse
Perhaps he just said the positive things...

- "You father wanted you to have it ...."
- *Silently in his mind* "If he wasn't Darth Vader."

I think Ben was just trying to persuade Luke to get involved with his past gently.

yerssot
I believe Sesse is right, I mean... if Vader knew Luke was his offspring and that he would form a danger to him, he would have killed him, not given him a lightsabre

LordRevan
He probably gave his old litesaber the blue to obiwan when he fell to the darkside and kept the red one as the sith. i really don't know but i could be wrong.

yerssot
it's that it went like:
"hey Obi-Wan, ... gonna dive into the darkside, here's my sabre, won't need it again"
blink

if he gave it, it was forced to him, not out of free will

The Ones
or ani uses 2 sabers. 1 red 1 blue. obi cuts anis hand off which is holding the blue saber. when ani is engulfed in lava, obi takes the saber knowing where it will go to...

finti
yeah cause we siths use bad ass red ones not those sissy blueish

schill142
This thread raises the question if OB1 meets Anakin after the Duel. Perhaps that is why he instantly recognizes Anakin/Darth in his armor in A New Hope.

Odde Raciir
This was not the one and only lie that Obi Wan says to Luke. He lied about other things, why don't lie about the light saber?

Creechuur
Obi-Wan didn't lie...he told the truth "from a certain point of view".

I don't think Anakin actually made the request, Obi-Wan just said that to honor the spirit of the good man he once knew as Lukes father. Its interesting to me that Anakins fierce love of his mother is both one of his most virtuous qualities and one of the first steps in his path to the dark side.

In short, I think Obi-Wan saw these virtuous qualities in Anakin, and knew the Anakin he knew as a youth WOULD want his son to have his lightsaber.

amity75
I never understood the line in ROTJ when Palpatine says to Luke "I see you have constructed a new lightsabre, much like your fathers", when it actually looks nothing like any lightsabre his father ever owned.

spadesmamma61
Ok peeps....this is what I heard regarding that whole lightsaber thing. During the big battle between Obi-Wan and Anakin, Anakin drops it or something right before he falls into the lava. At that point Obi-Wan picks it up thinking Anakin is dead and keeps it to and then ends up giving it to Luke. Seems to me I read or saw this at the offical site or on a dvd extra...because Lucas was careful to make sure it is identical to the one originally used by Luke in ANH. I remember Lucas saying something to the effect...now you sure thats the one from A New Hope?

kenox
I thought it was Obi-Wan that rescued Anakin from the rock shelf just above the lava. *shrug*

Sith Master X
Well from what I've heard, it's either some Storm troopers or Sidious' minions who rescue Anakin from the lava.

SMX
cool

LordRevan
probably anikin was trying to pull him self up and obiwan was helping him and anikin was in so much pain that his bloody hand sliped and obi wan coulden't hold on and saw him fall in to the lava while sith troopers were down there with dooku a pulled him out while he was suffering.

Sith Master X
Interesting theory, but Dooku won't be there. wink

SMX
cool

Red Superfly
You know before the prequels ever started - I don't know about you people but I always had the picture of Anakin being "taken over" pretty quickly by the dark side.

As the prequels have shown, the story was much slower, with Anakin becoming angrier.

Now, I'd accept the whole "fall to the dark side" thing if it happened really quickly (like Isildur in Lord Of The Rings), but now it just looks like Anakin is some muppet who was just angry from the get go, and wasn't man enough to shut up.

So, therefore, where does the "good" Anakin end and "evil" Darth Vader begin?

In the OT it seems as though there were two moments in Anakins life - that of being completely-good Anakin, and being completely-evil Darth Vader - and we all now know this is not the case, as the Anakin character is stuck in between the two in his teenage years.

So - why does Obi-Wan think fondly of Anakin - as though he was always a good man, when he wasn't? Anakin doesnt exactly "fall", so much as "crawl" into the dark side?

Doesn't this mean that the last time Ani was a "true good guy" like Obi-Wan, was when he was like five years old?

Just a random thought. I was just thinking about the whole Anakin as a ghost at the end of ROTJ - and was wonderring which Anakin should actually be a ghost - kid Ani - Teen Ani - or post Vader Ani?

arayah
In the books, Obi-Wan says that Anakin was Vader the moment he came out of the lava...

Sith Master X
Well the books are the books, not all are Lucas' full vision nor are they made by Lucas himself. Heck in one book, Chewie dies getting hit by a falling moon. How awkward is that?

I believe what they were refering to is after he fell into the lava, Anakin was no more, and all that remained within him now was his great hatred leading him to the path of the dark side, and the soon to be Darth Vader.

SMX
cool

Vader Raider
That all sound very dramatic but it could just be very simple like Anakin knows Padime is pregnant and wanted his first born to have his saber... before all the fighting happens...

Or not smile

yerssot
as long as there is still good in him he's Anakin as Luke says in ROTJ (there is still good in you and I can feel the conflict)

Sully

cornponious
This lends credibility to the claim by (insert name of Lucasfilm employee here) that Palpatine's appearance is a result of an event that transpires during EIII.

Although this is a LOT more believable and credible than the idea that Palpy's appearance is the result of a "scream" by Anakin, I still would rather find out that Palpatine ALWAYS looked that way, but simply used the dark side to mask his true appearance.

Beggars can't be choosers, though, and I can live with this scenario.

corn

peluffo
But Anakin "is tricked" to turn to the dark side... he is not "converted" or "reborn" as a dark sider, he is tricked, and for that, he made his choice and the "fall" is a result of an act of will.

At least that was what Lucas used to say about Anakin/Vader fall to dark side.

bILLYgOAT
SULLY
that sort of answers questions I had about another line of dialogue that's bugged me

AotC
Anakin to Padme:
"I promise you, one day i will LEARN to stop people from dying"!!!!

Padme looks shocked by this statement, initially i thought her startled reaction to Anakin was due to him talking BS out of grief for his mother, but perhaps she knows only too well that only a sith lord can teach such a skill and she is therefore, in fact .... horrified.

just a thought

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.