Why Was FF7 So underated

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DrexlStrife
i is only person in my whole school who knows what ff7 is its my best game of all time and i thought it would of it big but no one made a big deal about it

Linkalicious
Crono Trigger spanks FFVII, but I most definitly wouldn't say that game is underrated. That game is THE game of games. Just because everyone doesn't jerk off to the thought of Sephiroth and his masamune....doesn't mean it's underrated.

BackFire
Indeed. FF7....Underated? Nonsense. If anything, it's overrated. As Link said, Chrono Trigger is way better then FF7, as is FF6. Both of those games are vastly under rated.

SaTsuJiN
lol.. underrated. gime a break. I believe ff7 was the first squaresoft game to actually get a television advertisement here in america. Alot of people love it, make fanfics about it make remixes of the music. So I think you might have meant another word, but it sure couldnt have been underrated.

JKozzy
yes

You must have a sucky town if it's underrated.. stick out tongue

1-winged angel
every one i know that plays ff likes it heeps, we are so excited about the movie

SpikeSpiegel
Can't be too under-rated for a game that beat Crono trigger for the title of Best.Game.Ever at GameFAQ's yesterday.

VengeanceGOD
UNDER-rated?????

I found it completely OVER-rated, yes, but I've never head it described as under-rated before. How old are you? Maybe your classmates are just too young to have gotten it when it came out.

Lord Ryugen
Where do you Live? Where ever it is you must teach them. Teach them the glory that is FFVII. Teach them DrexlStrife. Teach them well.

1-winged angel
teach them, look at my final fantasy characters in my sig

Lord Ryugen
That rules lol

1-winged angel
it was soo hard to find hair like vincents

SaTsuJiN
lol.... I had mixxed feelings of ff7... I really wanted it to live up to 6, but then I had to remind myself that they're different worlds and all that... ( an inner excuse to make up for the fact that the games after 6 lacked inspiration..)

shadow blade
Please ff7 is the ff of all ff it has way better graphics than six allthough the story in 6 was good this one is way better for people who have been on this game they are hooked from the begging it was one of the first games to get a video (advent children) and i hope that they would do aq sequel to it but i think they will not FF7 RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lord Ryugen
FFVII FOREVER HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!!!

Flying Orange
Have you heard of punctuation? blink And graphics don't make the game.

2x2 eyes
may be cos it hasn't got voices, the graphic aren't exactly gr8 but hey! i love the game. cloud looks like a lego but he's one cute lego block! smile

DracotheDragon
rifle Because it sucked. Point proven.

2x2 eyes
HOW DARE YOU! ff7 is the mother of all RPGS! why? because i said so!!! MUWHAHAHA!!!!!

Lord Ryugen
I also say. FFVII is the greatest. Bow down to it's radience!

LemonBrown
I don't like it all that much. It's probally cuz i just tried playin it this year

LemonBrown
I don't like it all that much. It's probally cuz i just tried playin it this year and compared to todays graphics i couldn't stand it

Sides that voice overs would be nice. I going to play the new FF7 game though.Doe's anyone know if they do voices in it

Flying Orange
There is no new game, it's a movie, and yes there are voices in it.

Lord Ryugen
VII is one of the best loved Playstation games ever. I mean for years after it came out it kept going into the top ten. I don't think any other game for the PS went in so many time

SaTsuJiN
lol.. people who play ff7 before any final fantasy usually wind up worshipping ff7.. naturally they wouldnt give ff6 the time of day cuz "AhAhAHAhaA IT DoesnT HAVE th3 Bezt Graphix!!OMG LOLZ"

ff7 is cool, and I know the movie will be as well, I just hope they will possibly make an ff6 movie so you graphics wh0rez can see how good it really is.

Yuna33
okay i think its under rated because of graphics.
some people think just because the games graphics suck,
its not a good game.
probably think its a cool remake of pac man!

Lord Ryugen
I own and love FFVI it's just I prefer the story and characters from VII. And to say VII has good graphics! Well mabye you own a different game but the only good graphics came from the few FMV's in it.

SaTsuJiN
I was referring to the people who's first FF game was 7, then they say its the best ff of all time and they havent played any other ff's..
I just find that kind of thinking hypocritical...

dave123
FF7 is probably the best game for PS1, IMHO yes

Flying Orange
True dat, brother big grin

dave123
if the graphics were fixed up, added some DECENT mini games, perhaps best on PS2 big grin

but never... EVER, shall it beat halo

Flying Orange
Halo is an excellent game, but FFVII's storyline is quite more appealing to me, young dave (well, at least for now) stick out tongue

dave123
apparently for H2 they've got some kick ass story lined up eek!

but Advent Children could be interesting too....

Flying Orange
H2? confused

Advent Children will be intereseting, have you seen the new E3 Trailer?? Very kick-arse big grin

dave123
H2 = Halo 2, silly boy mad

Flying Orange
I apologize embarrasment

dave123
in fact, any letter followd by a 2 = halo 2 yes its all there is to talk about

Flying Orange
KH2 does not equal Halo 2, it equals Kingdom Hearts II, which is going to be awesome. Disney or no, I don't care stick out tongue

dave123
KOTOR2= Halo 2 for all i care stick out tongue

Flying Orange
Alright, so what does HL2 =? stick out tongue

dave123
HaLo 2

Flying Orange
Oh boy... well what's H? rolleyes1

dave123
HALO: COMBAT EVOLVED!

Flying Orange
stick out tongue

HPATPOA?

dave123
halo somethin somethin....

Flying Orange
What about FFXII! That is NOT Halo, young fool.

dave123
well multiply the F's together, giving F^2... somethin something... HALO 3!

FRO§T
huh

Flying Orange
You're hopeless.. *sigh* stick out tongue

dave123
I love HALO

Flying Orange
Get a room!

dave123
*cuddles his x-box* embarrasment

anyway.... back to FF7!

Flying Orange
Damn, that was pretty off-topic. Nice going, dave miffed

FFVII is a very good game smart

dave123
hardly a valid argument stick out tongue

Flying Orange
Wha-wha-what???

mad

dave123
you have to say WHY it is good

Flying Orange
Fine, even though I probably did in a previous post stick out tongue
It is good, because the storyline is one of the most unique and original around, and easily lovable by many. The music was top-knotch for its time, THANK YOU NOMUO UEMATSU!! And the FMV sequences are still respectable. The themes of life and death were profound in FFVII, and I will cherish the game eternally for its perfection in the genre of RPG-ness.

Happy? smile

dave123
roll eyes (sarcastic)

Flying Orange
You JUST saw that? roll eyes (sarcastic)

dave123
it was a reply to your previous statement yes

Flying Orange
But that was nine minutes late stick out tongue

dave123
Fine, even though I probably did in a previous post
It is good, because the storyline is one of the most unique and original around, and easily lovable by many. The music was top-knotch for its time, THANK YOU NOMUO UEMATSU!! And the FMV sequences are still respectable. The themes of life and death were profound in FFVII, and I will cherish the game eternally for its perfection in the genre of RPG-ness.

Happy?

===========

Get a room!

=========

understand?

Flying Orange
I get it, I got it! Just giving you a hard time smile

just testing...
no you didn't, you're just stupid happy

Flying Orange
Oh, really? Look at your username smile

just testing...
i thought it would ask for some sort of confirmation stick out tongue how was i meant to know embarrasment

Flying Orange
laughing out loud laughing laughing out loud
You need to know these things!

just testing...
i'm gonna get raz to change me back, though smile

Flying Orange
Well for now, my sig looks nice smile

just testing...
*feels oh so special* happy

Flying Orange
You should, you're right below Spiderman happy

just testing...
embarrasment that's the sweetest thing stick out tongue

Flying Orange
smile I try

ragesRemorse
ffX, legend of dragoo, chrono trigger and cross, and countless other Rpg's are far better than ffVII. ffX may have been ounce a good game, but is no longer. It was also never underated

Flying Orange
Ounce? blink

And I can't tell if you're saying FFX or FFVII is underrated... confused

Lord Ryugen
I don't think any of the FF games since VII have been underated in fact a couple (FFIX and FFX) were overated.

FRO§T
that is so true

Lord Ryugen
Ta! big grin

SaTsuJiN
8 is over-rated.. not 10.. 9 was silly.. animal people.. bleh..

Lord Ryugen
X was SO overrated. It was too linear, the characters were crap and the plot so basicly boring.

Yuna33
really?
thank god i didn't buy it!
but i think ffx wasn't that bad...
ffx-2 was raw though!
can't beat that!big grin

SaTsuJiN
ah yes.. and the long silver-haired badguy looking to dominate the world is so original... *cough*.....
I dont even remembering ffx having its own commercial in the U.S. (unlike 7). Sure its linear.. but squaresoft doesnt put a 'non-linear' guarantee on all thier RPG's, because they try something different each time. Which in turn is why they dont guarantee you'll love it.

god, cant you people get over the fact that each ff is different? lol

In any case.. FF's have gone down the toilet, squaresoft needs something new.. 12 games in a series is just retarded....

Lord Ryugen
I'm not saying VII had an original plot, however the characters and their development made it intresting. For me X lacked that. I'm not saying it's true it's just my opinion. Anyway when did VII get an advert in the U.S we got bugger all here in the U.K VII grew from word of mouth.

FRO§T
yes

Lord Ryugen
Yes what? confused

Yuna33
hey, what r u talking about?

Lord Ryugen
I don'y know.

Yuna33
did u get the pic?

Flying Orange
Please talk coherently...

Lord Ryugen
I'm trying orange but I want to know what Frost meant when he said yes.

SaTsuJiN
O_o...

hehe, yeah US got an advertisement... it showed cloud falling, and sephiroth at the machine with the face on it, and the saying was like "Its up to you to save the world.. if you fail, you can always hit the reset button" or something close to that

VENOMfanFAN
And that was funny! ...Hit reset... laughing

FF7 Best game ever THREE years in a row (or something like that.)

I liked three (or 6, it is the same thing) better, though.

Yuna33
laughing out loud
hit reset!

Lord Ryugen
Anybody ever play FF tactics?

SaTsuJiN
make a thread about it :O (this one needs to die anywho)

Lord Ryugen
Ya!

Yuna33
no!

Yakuza Princess
I never found out about ff7 until my mum or sister (i can't remember which) bought it from a second hand games rack in GAME (or Electronics boutique as it was known then). That was around when we first got a ps1 (1998) and we didn't play it for about a year or two after, then we didn't become obsessed with it until 2 or 3 years later (when my sister was completing it for like, the millionth time, she had a walkthrough).
As for ads in the uk, I vaguely remember the end of an ad with Sephiroth walking through the flames in Nibelheim and then the ff7 logo popping up. But I hadn't paid much attention as I was probably 6 or 7 at the time.
Hardly anybody has heard of ff7 where I live, except for some of my sisters friends from school, my best friend who my sister has made obsessed with ffX-2 and a staff member at Sea Cadets. (call us sea kapoofs and YOU WILL PAY!)
THAT'S how many people know about it in the two towns in which I commute!

Lord Ryugen
Wow thats bad.

Yakuza Princess
Isn't it? I've tried to convert others but they just call names: nerd, freak, weirdo, etc, etc, same old, same old.

Hegemon875
Underrated? This game is constantly proclaimed to be the best FF games and RPG's EVER. I think you're confusing underrated with overrated.

Lord Ryugen
Thats true Hedgemon. However if you look at the earlier posts you would see that there are some pretty uneducated people who must be brought into the light. Let us go my brethren and convert the unbelievers to the light of Final Fantasy VII

FRO§T
yeh

Lord Ryugen
We will bring them joy and if they refuse...fire and blood will be their punishment.

zombieman
This thread is ridiculous, when Final Fantasy 7 first came out it was hailed as the best game of the year in almost every Playstation magazine and almost every PC magazine, so how is that underrated?

Yuna33
ur crazy!

FRO§T
lol is some thing i would say

Yassin
Final Fantasy 7 is not underrated,it's just that not too many people play rpg's.

And yeah FF7 is like the greatest game ever,the only thing i'm afraid of is that they gonna screw the story by releasing that DVD. They were doing good all this time and now they gonna wreck it. But see,the END of FF7 was that every human being was destroyed except the animals right? SO how the hell could they do a sequel with Cloud and Sephiroth still being alive? It don't make sense...

Lord Ryugen
Who me?

Yakuza Princess
I think they mean you Lord Hentai.

Lord Ryugen
YES!! Someone used my other identity. Feel the awsome power of LORD HENTAI OF THE FOUR HORSEMEN OF THE OTAKU!!!!!!

JKozzy
no expression

Yakuza Princess
Oh Yevon! I just had to go and say that! Now he's gonna be prancing about in his annoyingly perverted ways!
I'm sorry luvs.
DAMN YOU LE BLANC! DAMN YOU TO THE DEEPEST PITS OF HELL FOR INFECTING ME WITH THAT WORD! IT'S LIKE THE ASSMASTER SITUATION ALL OVER AGAIN!

Lord Ryugen
evil face heh heh heh!! Lord Hentai's back baby, bringing the good stuff to anyone and everyone

Yakuza Princess
Please kill me.

Robo-Chocobo
so is anyone gonna remain on topic...prob not....

I think FF7 is so underated becasue of the characters...their isnt anything truly unique about the char except their limit breaks. I mean, the entire game makes it so you have complete char custimazation, I mean it might as well let us make the characters themselves. There werent any of the skill commands from ff6, none of the job classes(despite char looks) from ff5 or 4. the game had a great plot, and most char were pretty memorable, but they all were the same when it came down to it.

moonwalker741
final fantasy 7 sux....

ff 3 n 6!! woo hooo!!!

Yuna33
id be happy 2, but u brought it on yourself!

Lord Ryugen
lol I had fun with that laughing

Yakuza Princess
Oh great! I'm glad YOU'RE happy! Smuty Mc Smutster!

Lord Ryugen
BWAHA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yakuza Princess
Please die.

Lord Ryugen
What and miss all the fun I'm having pissing certain people off? I don't think so Princess laughing out loud

Yakuza Princess
Of course! Life's not worth living unless you can piss people off! big grin

FRO§T
i guess, but i frosted my sig who likes it

Lord Ryugen
Nice...but what's with the backwards writing?

FRO§T
nothing is with it

Yakuza Princess
Frostiness is cool! blink ARGH! NOT ANOTHER ACCIDENTAL BAD PUN! ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lord Ryugen
Hail the bad pun! laughing out loud

Yakuza Princess
I'm always making bad puns.
eg: I was playing "Buffy the vampire slayer choas bleeds" at my friends house. And I had to pick up this decapitated hand to use on a palm scanner. Which I did, and then we came to another one it turned out we still had the hand. And my friend said:
"Eww! We still have that mingin' hand!"
And I said: "Well, it's handy. blink ARGH!"
And worst thing about that is that when I was watching "Murphys Law" a few months later a decapitated hand was used on a palm scanner and I said the SAME THING!

Lord Ryugen
lol bad puns kick ass!

Yakuza Princess
Me and my friend have a scale of bad puns.
There's childrens tv in general

Then there's the highest possible mark:

BLUE PETER!
They crack the "eggcellent" whip so often I end up shouting "I'LL "EGGCELLENT" YOU IN A MINUTE!"

Lord Ryugen
Ha ha. Blue Peter man I haven't seen that in years.

Yakuza Princess
You're not missing much!

Lord Ryugen
Come on it's still fun to watch. Hell most of the Presenters are high anyway.

Yakuza Princess
I heard one of them swore on air while making pancakes! I heard! I didn't see! Sadly...

Lord Ryugen
laughing out loud That would kick ass. Seriously I'd start watching again for mistakes like that.

Yakuza Princess
Naw. They'd probably keep a tighter rein on it. Put it on delayed signal or something. It's funny hearing them almost swear. Like when Konnie Huq was in this racing car and it was bouncing aroung and stuff and she kept saying "Oh....my goodness." It was quite funny actually.

Lord Ryugen
Must..keep..from...swearing...hhhnnnnn!

Yakuza Princess
I know it's f....I mean! Pretty difficult! Yeah. That'll work.

Lord Ryugen
Hmm we seem to be a little off topic. Ah well no one's noticed so far.

Yakuza Princess
Blue Peter never mentions ff7.
That on topic enough for you?

Lord Ryugen
Yep. Damm Blue Peter, think they're too good for FFVII eh? Well we'll see about that.

Robo-Chocobo
dude so trying to get back on topic.....what is it about 7 that makes it so special/great? it was the first non-nintendo system game, first game to use ore rendered /3-d graphics, first game to use playmobile people( i mean 3-d char) fisrt game to have a cool villian...waiiiit nope 6 did that first. first game to totally lack char uniqueness skill wise.( i mean exluding equipment and limits, thanks to materia they lack any unique features)

in fact I see the creation of 7 as the braching point for the enitire series. it was 7 that fully moved it firmly into sci-fi territory that still can be seen today(the beginning of 10, then beggining of 10-2)

Final fantasy 6 was I suppose the last of the old guard, the last game made for the hardcore fans, who remember the days with sprite villians, gilgamesh, and classic "feel" to it,

while 7 was made for a complelty new and younger generation, their were tv adds, a much more gritty setting, much more obvious japanese culture influences, moving away from the medival settings,,a chilling villain, modeled after japanse anime, with much more screen time added to him, to help create his depth, from his startling entrance, to his final end.

the old guard played these new ones, but they were forgotten by square, with espers replaced by "darker" GF's, swords replaced by...oversized swords and guns(and gunswords(excuse me "gun"blades), the series did a quick stint back to its roots, but square had clearly moved on toward the new guard,a completly new director was in charge of the psx games(excluding 9), which completly contributed to the series new direction

~OLD GUARD~
1989-1997
~ in memory to all that remember slam dancing moogles, elemental crystals, and black mages~

Yakuza Princess
I still like ff7.

Lord Ryugen
VII brought RPGs to the mainstream and made them popular. At least that's what every review about it said.

Robo-Chocobo
dude your thinkin of FF4

~OLD GUARD~
1989-1997
~ in memory to all that remember slam dancing moogles, elemental crystals, and black mages~

Lord Ryugen
Really. Well don't look at me I'm just repeating what the games magazines said.

Robo-Chocobo
how shallow

Lord Ryugen
laughing out loud Who me pr the magazines?

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>