Why did Ben Kenobi's name change?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth KickAss
I have been looking around and can't seem to find a thread dealing with why obiwan's name changed from Ben Kenobi to Obiwan.

Anakin's name did not change...not yet in any case.

Sacrifise666
ben is his birth name

heres a funny thing you'll like.

in episode 3 and this is true anakin and obiwan are in a new ship and are taking down other fighters.

anakin learns of obiwans name and calls him ben.

obiwan says dont call me that.

and anakin asks did quigon ever call you ben?

robakin
qui-gon is mentioned a lot in ep.3.
i always thought ben was his birth name.
so when he goes into hiding he renounces his jedi name...makes sense.

Darth KickAss
I always assumed that Ben was his real name and it changed to Obiwan when he became a jedi.

So when the jedi was being killed he fled and took back his old name of Ben.

FatBrit
I remember hearing somewhere one of the clone troopers Obi wan was close, who was on first name terms called him ben, but when they turn he has to kill him no expression harse one!! Could of been commander cody?

yerssot
yup, you got that right FB....

"It was always Ben to you..."

eleveninches
Kenobi tells luke that 'I havnt gone by that name since before you were born'.
If luke and leia are born in episode 3, when do you think that obiwan will change his name.

Maybe after most of the other jedi have been killed, and they are looking for obiwan, he tells the clone troopers that he is BEN kenobi, not the person they are looking for, and does a kind of mind-trick thing on them

Mr Zero
Yeah with all the other dull stuff going on in EPIII THIS is the issue thats got me weak at the knees. I dont care if he has the jedi order wiped out by jar jar in a freak boating accident, as long as Lucas nails the much anticipated name-change issue I'll be content.

I can't believe they didn't hint at how they are going to do that in the teaser? When's the next one out? Surely he knows that the fans are clamouring to know this - give it up George, my heart can't take the strain much longer!

eleveninches
I think that they will have the clone troopers running around killing loads of jedi, so to be able to escape with the twins, obiwan has to use a false name, otherwise he would be caught and killed

Darth Surgent
I think that "Ben Kenobi" and "Obi-Wan Kenobi" are far too familiar to fool anyone. From this "fact" alone, I find it more likely that "Ben" is a nickname that someone (possibly Cody) gives to Obi-Wan.

I don't think a name is going to make any difference to stormtroopers. He evades the Empire by remaining a hermit.

waynerobsonuk
Well from a spoiler I remember from ages back apprently it's always been his name. He just doesn't use it. So you could assume that this was the name he was born under before the jedi gave him a new one.
The rest of the spoiler said that anakin somehow finds out before his turn and takes the piss out of obi wan mercilessly.
Not sure whether to belive this or not but thought I'd pas it on just in case.

Wayne...

Grievous_90210
why would the jedi order change your anme

Grievous_90210
name**

Sesse
Obi-Wan-Ben Kenobi..

I bet Yoda's previous name was Jason then.

Samurai Guy
Reason - If you had somebody hunting you down... wouldnt you do everything possible to hide?

But... much like Mr. Zero noted... is it really that important? blink

Jedi Priestess
already covered this topic months ago......
this is 2

darktim1
when I must have never read that thread JP.

Jedi Priestess
you're gonna make me go look arent you?

here
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=296262&highlight=change+his+name

Samurai Guy
Merge....

.:Space Opera:.
if the jedi change names, then why doesnt anakin have a new name?

eleveninches
/\ he does. hes called darth vader

UNDERTAKER
in ep3 ob1 changes his name because its his real name according to tf.n spoilers. like during a battle anakin calls ob1 ben and ob1 says :quote: we have no time for games::

eleveninches
Maybe ben was the alias he used when going on secret undercover missions for the jedi council

"he does. hes called darth vader"

please....you know what i mean, obviously the SITH re-name their jedi but as of now anakin is a jedi.

Darth Subjekt
does it matter? we all know his name changes, we know is so the empire doesnt find him....i dont mean to be a party pooper, but damn....who cares............... really?

exactly

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.