Hulk

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

amity75
I've just finally got round to watching Hulk. I'd been told to expect the worst but I thoroughly enjoyed it. The effects were spot on, the story was great and I'd go as far as to say that it was much better than spider-man which was vastly overrated. So there.

Cinemaddiction
Fell asleep in this one around the time they debuted the "Hulk dogs". Maybe God was doing me a favor.

steely balls
amity is the only person on kmc that actually enjoyed it. i thought i was the only one that liked the hulk

amity75
Yeah, I enjoyed it. In the last 2 days I've also got round to seeing X2 and Daredevil (I'm off work with a kidney infection so I at last have some time on my hands to watch movies I've been meaning to see) and Hulk is better than them all.

Cinemaddiction
Hulk better than X2? You're certainly in the minority, there.

Herr Logan
The Hulk is not better than Spider-Man or X-Men 2. I don't think it's better than Daredevil, but those were both pretty terrible, so I don't know how to compare them. I don't understand your reasoning for this kind of judgement. I don't know what you were expecting from any of those movies that made you decide the way you did, but you clearly aren't a fan of the genre.

Wolfie
I agree that Hulk was a great movie. I believe that X2 is the best Marvel movie so far, however.

amity75
While by no means a bad film, I found X2 to be boring in places and by the end I couldn't have cared less about any of the characters. I think the inclusion of all the "pretty boys" ie Pyro and Iceman, put me off. I got the impression that the whole thing was hurriedly put together and had quite an absurd plot. It didn't have any substance or long lasting appeal. Hulk, on the other hand is a movie that makes you think, it is a well structured film that explains all questions that "non fans" might ask, "Why does Hulk exist?", "Why is he having nightmares?". Ang Lee has carefully crafted this film to be reflective of the comic book style, yes, it may be a little too slow for some but it more than makes up for it in its sophistication and style.

Cinemaddiction
Absurd plot? Mutants band together, fight for mutant liberation, and equality. If you look deeper than that, the entire backstory of the X-Men could be applied to real life and everyday situations. I'd say that that has a lasting impression, as well as he power to make you re-evaluate alot of peoples worldly views.

As for substance and appeal. Sequels such as this are only going to appeal to fans of the 1st installment, and more so comic book fans. In X2, we saw the beginning of the Jean Grey "Phoenix Saga", as well as the origins of Wolverine and Weapon X. Two VITALLY important pieces of X Men lore.

By the end of the movie, while you may not have cared about the characters, I felt as if I knew them all personally, because their issues were played out and ultimately played an intrigal part in the end.

Professor X's issues w/ William Stryker, Logan's dealing with his Weapon X discovery, Cyclop's shared love for Jean Grey, Nightcrawler's quest to understand human nature, Mystique's appeal to Wolverine, and of course Magneto's struggle to decide weither to trust his own kind, or give into his selfish urges to rule all mutants.

Also, the addition of new characters is inevitable. The X Men universe is too vast to focus on the "original" crew. Bobby Drake was already hinted at in the 1st one.

The only thing that "The Hulk" made me think was "Why did I use my free rental coupon on this crap". Almsot anyone that would show even the slightest interest in a "Hulk" movie knows how he became the Hulk.
The thoughtprovoking storyline to this movie? Scientist is exposed to radiation, is hunted down, ends up saving he day, and the girl.

It's a tired, basic plot, that requires absolutely no brain power. Just a high tolerance for mediocre filmmaking.

amity75
Yeah but at least Bruce Banner didn't have an Nsync CD in his car.

topdog
I liked Hulk too. People like cinemaddiction need to chill out. Movies like Hulk are no brainers made for people who fancy some pure entertainment for a change as opposed to watching something like Kafka!

Cinemaddiction
I'm thoroughly chilled, and you just summed up what I said, that "Hulk" doesn't make you think after all. It's a shallow plotted comic book movie made to appeal to the eyes and not the brain.

steely balls
But thats how you feel, some people might agree with you. But i don't agree with you. I feel ang lee really captured the hulk, and portrayed it realistically. I knew some things about the hulk before the movie, but the movie gave me the hole story of bruce banner and his struggles about the hulk. It really wasn't boring it was slow for a while but i enjoyed it, but when he turned into the hulk i was like Holy S**t this movie is so freakin bad ass, he got pissed and it was deffenitly eye candy, i loved it. Alot of people might actually agree with me at the end of the movie was cool.

LeAtHerRFace
I agree.

Carlcsw
I do agree, the film HULK was really rubbush. I was waiting for the scene when Bruce Banner gets exposed to Gamma Radiation and in the end all he did was put him self in the way of a small gammar ball reacter. I was expecting something much much more than that. It was over in like 2 seconds.

Likewise for the scene when he first turns into the HULK, no suspence or anything. Its like you dont even give a dam about the scene. And whats the deal with the ending with the guy made of eletricity / water and Stone. It made no sense what so ever.

X-Men 2 is the best Marvel film so far, Spiderman is the second.

Daredevil wasn't that good as well but it was much better than HULK.

Herr Logan
I agree with what amity says about the pretty-boys in X2. They shouldn't be having all those stupid kids running around, they should have real actors playing the real characters. However, I disagree completely that "Hulk" was even the slightest bit more thoughtful than X2.
The Hulk movie's load of "thought-provoking" drama was the most cliched, watered-down crap I could have expected from a Marvel movie. I don't know what these other people are yammering on about Banner only getting irradiated for two seconds--it was supposed to have happened quickly with the gamma bomb, geniuses-- but if they had used the original origin, there would have been much more of an opportunity to explore Banner's character. I was hoping that the Hulk movie would be an action movie and also a psychological drama. It was barely the first, and certainly not the second. "When people repress, things go boom." That's a real friggin' deep concept. Thank you very much, Dr. Banner, for showing me what happens when a repressed, traumatized geek gets zapped by radiation. Oh, wait, it wasn't just the radiation, he was genetically engineered. That's a pathetic, cliched, unnecessary change in the character. Brian Banner (or David, as he's called in the movie) did not need to be a mad scientist. He was an abusive, psychotic, evil man who beat his wife and son and tried to kill his son for being a mutant on account of the kid's massive intelligence. The mother interceded, she got killed, the killer is put away. That's all they needed to show. They shouldn't have brought the father back at all. The should have had Banner testing a gamma bomb. Even though this isn't the Cold War, the gamma bomb is still the best way to go. This way, he can save that dumb kid Rick Jones, make a friend and ally, and his human contact wouldn't just be limited to the over-emotional, selfish piece of eye candy Betty Ross.
They should have made the Hulk talk. For those that have read the comics and aren't just remembering the live-action TV show, the Hulk talks plenty, and he could even speak intelligently in the beginning. This movie wasn't just "slow", it was just plain crappy. They didn't portray the characters right at all. They couldn't even write decent lines for General Ross, and they got a great actor to play him. It was idiotic to have Banner's father become the Absorbing Man in the end. They should have just gone and used Steve Austin, like the were considering, if they were going to use the Absorbing Man. Hulk should either be a superhero movie, or a sci-fi psycho-drama, and this was neither. Ang Lee failed, and so did the writers.

steely balls
people rely to much on the writers to make the movie like the comic it's never going to happen that way for any superhero movie, because of money. and people compare the comic book to the movie way to much. i understand why but it's just stupid. its a movie not a comic book it's not going to be told the same way. and if anybody never really read comic books before like the hulk and saw the movie they would totally be in to it. no wonder why people don't like the movie they compare way to much just enjoy the movie for what it is.

amity75
I watched Hulk and X2 immediately after one another (kidney infection, on couch off work) and I thought Hulk was a much better film for me because it was the kind of entertainment I needed at the time. Good guy gets treated like crap, good guy overcomes in the end and I thought the effects were really good. X2 was a bit like an MTV video in places and I'm sure that even the most hard ass X-Men fans must agree that the whole cerebro thing gets a bit tedious and I kept getting the feeling that when it was being filmed it was a case of "Oh, we'd better give Halle Berry a bit more screen time in case she complains" The Jet chase scene being a prime example of this. And minor gripes as well, how come Cyclops, as the leader, doesn't actually lead? He was reduced to a bit part (because the actors not as big a name as our Halle?) It's basically an entertainment issue, Hulk entertained me and my kidney infection and X2 did not. I viewed Hulk as a fresh story (albeit formulaic) while I could have guessed averything that was gonna get thrown at me in X2 - Fisticuffs between Wolverine and Nightshade and dramatic "Get everyone out on time before the dam bursts" ending.

Herr Logan
People rely too much on trite, meaningless cliches like "it's never going to happen that way for any superhero movie, because of money" to excuse bad writing. The money idea is nonsense. Pay attention and actually put some thought into what you say. Good God, you sound like a damn child. Remember that huge display of nonsense at the end with Hulk smacking his daddy/Absorbing Man around and there was a nuclear explosion? Transplant that explosion to the beginning, where it would be a gamma bomb, and transplant those effects and put them into some decent fight scenes with worthy villains. It's not a matter of money, it's a matter of pandering to the wrong audience and indulging the director's artistic whims. Grow up and stop using meaningless language.

Amity75, I completely disagree with your assessment of the Hulk movie, but you have several good points about X2. The Cerebro business is actually based on a good story in the comics and pretty decently adapted, so I give it some credit. Cyclops should have had a large role, not two minutes of screen time. Trust me, I've got plenty of beefs with that franchise as well-- more actually. By the way, her comic book name isn't Nightshade, it's Yuriko Oyama, aka Lady Deathstrike. And don't none of you whipper-snappers give me any nonsense about how it's a movie, not the comics-- she was not called Nightshade anywhere in the movie, just Yuriko Oyama.

amity75
Sorry, I don't know where I was getting "Nightshade" from. On the plus side, I noticed that Wolverine wore the same watch as me and that made me feel really cool.

Kes
You have to stop telling ppl to grow up!

Herr Logan
cool

steely balls
Herr logan the whole point you make with money and a movie, in order to make a movie they need money. i never mentioned anything about good writing, i never even mentioned it at all. And you said i'm using meaningless language, don't put words in my mouth. Bad writing yes, good directing and good acting yes, that's why i like the movie. And please don't put me down because of my opinion. I know i did the same to you but i feel a need to defend myself. stop referring to the comic book because like i said i never read them. and now i feel like a child because now i'm bitching about stupid things

bunnies = omens
I literally fell asleep whilst watching it on dvd.
The comic book style didnt work for it, it hurt my eyes.
I'm not a fan of the incredible hult tv show and dont read comics so the movie was never made for me. But it was crap imo

Herr Logan
You're all over the place with your logic now, aren't ya? I don't know how to respond to someone who asks me to not judge his opinion and yet he admits he did the same to me. I'm simply sick and tired of hearing the same tired, immature, lazy excuses being used to justify easily avoided failures. Every time someone says "It's a movie, not the comic. . . it's an issue of money," I'm going to call it as I see it-- complete erroneous crap! I already alluded to certain visual effects that could have been used in better ways, so what little evidence I've brought to the table is still more than I've heard from you. It is meaningless language when you say things like "It's a movie, not the comic. . . it's an issue of money," especially when it's easily disproved. this isn't personal to you, and I am sorry that I was harsh and made you feel stupid. It really burns when people advocate laziness and place no value on using one's brain, and Kes can confirm that (she has been hounding me about this pet peeve of mine in other forums, with no justification for her views yet).

Truthfully, "Hulk" would have been better if they hadn't imitated the personality of the 70's TV Hulk and let him speak. He has spoken on with different personalities throughout his run in the comics and I'm sure one of those styles would have been better than this lazy piece of pop-psychology crap, whose production during which, Ang Lee was so "fastidious" in making things perfect. This is what I mean by directors using fan-based franchises as a vehicle for their artistic whims. Ang Lee is not lazy-- quite the opposite. But the writers were, and if they wanted to make a decent movie, they would have. It's saddening when you think of how they could have made a quality movie of which they could be proud that would please fans and newcomers and make lots of money all at the same time. Yes, this is possible, and only lazy, ignorant sheep believe what they are told when people say "it can't be done, it's a matter of money/complications/movie not comics." Instead, these people are only concerned with fleecing the movie-goer and getting their title on a sales chart. If they made a quality movie, their work would be immortal, like the Superman movie (flawed though it was, it's amazing in many ways) and the first two Batman films. Instead, their work will be easily forgotten and it will be rendered meaningless as soon as someone with a big budget and some pretty faces on the cast make the new highest opening record.
That makes me mad. Herr Logan get mad. Rraarrrgh! Herr Logan SMASH!!

steely balls
i agree with you but when you said that i have made no points across, i cried inside. i wasn't trying to prove factual points i was trying to prove or show you why i liked the movie, but like i said i never read the comics i can't compare or put up factual points. i guess i have different movie taste or whatever. When i mentioned you judging my opinion and i also admitted judging yours. somehow i knew you were going to respond to it exactly the way you did. i enjoy an argument like this even though we go back and forth on how we get our opinions across, which is completely irrelevant to the topic, and i respect your opinion. And ending the argument money was an issue like i said a movie needs money people need money, universal tried to get money in by going maybe a little to far fetched with the action, universal had total control over how they movie would turn out. i realize you notice that my ideas are a little scattered but that's my personality. and i hope got my points across
the end

Herr Logan
They had all the money they needed. Their poverty lies in good judgment and respect for the source material.

Kes
HEY! Leave me out of this! And I have justified my point of view, to me he did a good job. Thats it. No need for more.

Lets face it guys the whole Hulk story is just to stupid! A guy that grows and turns green when he gets angry??!Please! (I have not seen the movie thou, just never liked Hulk.)

lil bitchiness
Yet still the mistery remains to how, his body becomes 8 times bigger, his shirt rips but his pants stay on...magic eek!

amlap
i thought the story was crap but the filming style was good!

and as far as marvel movies go... x-men 2 is by far the best, but Captian America is a close second stick out tongue

Herr Logan
I cannot believe that you wrote that. Captain America wasn't as big a travesty as the Hulk, but it fell pretty short. And that's just assuming you're talking about the 1991 movie with J.D. Salinger's kid in the costume, instead of those horrible, horrible movies in the 70's.

Lil bitchiness, it's not magic. I don't know what nonsense they were thinking when they made the movie, but in the original story Banner was bombarded by a gamma bomb's radiation. He carries this energy with him all the time, and when he transforms, the energy vonverts to matter. Conceivably, it's scientifically possible, although not very likely. obviously.

Kes, if you don't the story, then you don't have any valuable input on it, do you? The Hulk story throughout the decades has had it's good points and it's horrendous points. This movie could have been a mature psychological exploration coupled with a special effects rumble, but they weren't thinking about what would make a good story. They did what was predictable because they knew they could get away with it. Why? Because they know that the average movie-goer is a moron who will accept any cliched pop-psychology quasi-romance blockbuster without any real analytical thought. In my experience, you've been one of the people here advocating that way of thinking. Care to explain why that gives you the right to criticize me for challenging people's ways of thinking? Try harder than simply "everyone's entitled to their opinion" and "it's a movie, not a comic" and "they didn't have enough money," if you can. I challenged you to prove me wrong before, and you failed. I'm interested to see if you have either the smarts to prove me wrong or the courage to admit that you were.

steely balls
you've already said these things, we know what you don't like about how or what we write. we know, we know. so lay off us. this is forum not a presidential debate.

Herr Logan
For someone who is so sensitive to criticism and confrontational language directed at you, I would think it would serve you better not to write such posts as this. Are you trying to make it easy for me? I'm asking Kes, because she's consistently dumped on my posts and not given a valid standpoint to back it up. I could say the same for you, and you should realize that it's your own fault if you belong to the group to which I am objecting. It's your choice whether you want to be a non-thinking sheep who believes the condescending misinformation he's spoon-fed or not. It's your choice if you want to come into an verbal battle with some ammunition or not. You're clearly not prepared for this sort of thing yet (and that's probably better for you-- I'm better at arguing, and I'm miserable), and I don't want to hurt your feelings. Either choose to be better than the kind of people I've described, bring a valid argument that intelligently illustrates what's wrong with my argument, or refrain from demeaning my posts with empty protests. I have no personal beef with you-- you can see that from my response in the Batman movie forum-- but you take things very personally. Either step up with some real game or withdraw so you don't get hurt. And thanks for the heads up on the Batman movie title.

steely balls
I just thought you (like me) were getting a little to frustrated with some people, i guess this your own personal problem with people. i don't get really pissed in real life but i come off as somewhat of an ass on the Internet but i just like to get certain thing off my chest. any way please stick to the forum, still not a debate.

amlap
note the sarcasim! roll eyes (sarcastic)

amlap
but you cant say the whole getting oout of the car upset then running back to the car when the person walked up to see if he was ok. i dont know bout you, but i have stolen many cars successly that way.

shaber
That's nothing! In a seventies strip his purple tousers stayed intact when he fell through the Earth's atmosphere and glowed red hot.

Herr Logan
I was pretty tired when I responded to you, and I guess I missed the sarcasm completely. roll eyes (sarcastic)
So you steal cars like ol' Cap, huh? Well, remind me never to give you a ride. When I a get a car, that is. wink

Kes
I dont like the Hulk story (by this I mean the basic idea not the movie) but like I said I havent seen the movie so I dont know what they did. The CGI looks crappy thou.
Now I have no idea what you are talking about, so I'm just going to say that what you like I may not like and what I like you may not like.I do not need to justify my taste nor do you need to justify yours.
And you definitely have no right to claim you are the only one who is right because you post big ass post and repeat the same crap over and over again.

JKozzy
Hulk= thumb downthumb down
I wasted two and a half hours of my life watching that crap. The effects were alright, but Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions definetly had so much better effects, but weren't nominated and Hulk was (for the Oscars). It disgusts me.

JKozzy
I don't like Hulk, any of it. And Kes, you're right about the CGI being cruddy. It is. Whoop de do, a giant green thing can jump really high from a distance. Herr Logan, this isn't a Hulk forum, this is a Movie Discussion forum, accept the fact that people can have negative opinions about a movie too.

Herr Logan
EDIT

I only told Kes she had no valid imput on this because she clearly doesn't. The story of the movie was mediocre at best, but I thought she was referring to the original Hulk story (spanning 1963 to the present), since she posted that after there was discussion about how the movie deviated from the original story. If she watched the movie and thought it sucked, she's perfectly valid in that. Not because she is "entitled to her opinion," which is childish nonsense, but because it's an reasonable opinion backed up by actually having seen the movie. If she is referring to the basic idea of the Hulk, in any medium, then she hasn't looked for anything decently written with the Hulk in it. There is solid, thoughtful subject matter in the Hulk's story to be used in a movie, and MY beef with the film is that it failed to do that. I never said the movie's story was any good.

I hope this clears things up, but since I unfortunately have a very disorganized way of writing and speaking, many intelligent people get confused when I explain things. That in mind, I doubt that you could follow along much at all.

Tired Hiker
I totally agree. I thought HULK was one of the better movies of last year, quite frankly. smile

Kes
I've told you bashing is not allowed, cut it out. This is a warning!

And I wasnt talking about the movie, I was talking about a guy getting angry, turning green and grow I dont know how much. I think its stupid regardless of how well some comics are written. I simply do not like it.

Cinemaddiction
"Spider-Man" wasn't overrated, it was just that it had a safe, worldwide appeal, just like "Titanic".

People tend to call movies that appeal to a wide range, thus making alot of money, "overrated".

Truth be told, Spiderman didn't fair well with critics, only because it was one of the 1st true comic book movies with A list actors, and a nationally recognizable lead figure. These kinds of movies will never get really rave reviews.

Don't get the two confused.

Herr Logan
Kes, that's fair, I suppose. How exactly is "the X-Files" any better, though? Or "X-Men" for that matter? By the way, David Duchovny may be the next Hulk.

Kes
I'm not even going to reply to that.

Herr Logan
Big surprise. You really don't have much with which to reply at all except "no bashing" and "everyone is entitled to their opinions," do you? You give just enough mental effort to protest everything I say, but that's where it stops. You don't put any thought into justifying your viewpoint. I think it's laziness in your case, not stupidity. It's your choice. If it floats your boat to act oppressive without any insight or logic, fine. It's you who has to live with that.

amity75
I'd like to see Duchovny as Banner. I'd also like to see some of Eric Bana's stand up stuff. I reckon he could be quite a funny guy. He excelled in "Chopper".

Kes
1st I didnt reply because it is obvious how the x files is better!And it would just turn into a fight.
2nd it is off topic.
3rd I've had it with you!
Who the **** do you think you are???You dont know me.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.