Master And Commander

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Dregh
That movie was so good , has someone seen it???(apart from TH)

Kes
Moving to Movie discussion
Moving--moved

Kes
I've seen it. I enjoyed it, its good. A little overrated in the Oscar department but...

cmoon
crowe is a terrible actor.. you couldn't pay me to sit through this one..

Fire
well it is good wouldn't have given it oscars

the brain chirugry is a bit over the top imo but that's about it

Kes
The guy operating himself is a bit over the top. The brain surgery is ok.
Just because a movie is nominated and wins few Oscars doesnt make it the good. This one, IMo, is good, but not Oscar good.Specially not the photography!

Fire
yea kes well not much we can do about it

Barf Heaven
Meaning that it was unrealistic or that it was gross? 'Cause the brain surgery thing... There's no way that guy could've lived through having major brain surgery like that in the early 1800's, on a ship, outside... The guy operating on himself, I've actually heard about people who've had to do that.

Kes
Over the top him operating himself. Specially looking at a mirrow. Reversed image and all.
The guy didnt have major brain surgery. All he did was open a whole, remove the excess blood and put a coin there, pretty much the same is done today. Except the couin is now a metal plate (not sure the word is correct). I've read about that being done back in those days.

Fire
maybe kes but still those would have been the exceptional cases that lived and under better conditions

Kes
True but ppl were operated back than (hospitals werent much better) and lived so...

Pirateboy
this film is ace, abosultley brilliant, they've been advertising it on TV its way better than Pirates of the Caribean coul'd ever be, its way realiststic and the special effects are amazing, I reckon Crow is an ace actor by the way, if you remember Gladiator you'll know what I mean, and if you have got bored of him after watching the movie 20 times well then, you watched it 20 times for a reason, Russell crow is ace, makes brad pitt look like a pussy, I have not got a best part to the movie its so good

ragesRemorse
this is the best film i have seen in a long time. From the characters, to story to execution, the whole movie was a completely well rounded film. The characters had depth when you wouldnt expect them to, the acting was superb, and the build up of suspense was just fun i'd give master and commander an 8.5/10

buffymitch
I loved this movie. That little guys perormance was great. I'm a Russell Crowe fan but this movie didn't desrve oscars. It was not that great. It did have a great story and the actors were fantastic. What i loved that the actors really learned hoe to play those music instruments especially for the movie. THe guy operating on himself was done a few times before in movie. I think Robert DeNiro did it in "Ronin" Pretty average mviue but still one of the good ones.

darkjustice
This movie sucked! i hated it. all it was was russel crowe and his crew on the boat for 3/4 of the movie! and i could not understand one word that they were saying! i ****ing hate Russel Crowe cause of the movie!!!

Pirateboy
**This Movie is Somethin Else!!**

Master and Commander

This movie is ace, the effects are amazing and I beleive it does show something that we have lost as a nation, its one of those films where their is a real moral element and shows how intresteing war can get.

Capt Aubury Russelle Crow was ace in this movie Its ace and is better than Pirates of the Caribean its just an amazing film, you've really got to watch it.

My favourite part is when everyone makes the ship look like a whaler in discuise. and Capt aubery acts like a millionare whale hunter,

they pull up next to a huge france/american vessel and they jack em with the cannons. the element of suprise, pretty ace

just as the french think they have won a prise

the musics pretty good too,

YOU'VE GOTTA SEE THIS MOVIE!!!!!

jjoutlaw3
i LUUVED this movie!!! it was done soo well and it was REALLY REALLY good. like the battle scenes were much more real looking than in pirates of the caribbean, the acting was excellent, the storyline was very good...very deep...i just loved it...but i've only seen it once so i don't remember it that well...but i'm definately gonna see it again!!

Stormy Day
Overated?I though it only got nominated for 3 oscars and it was really good and very interesting to see how everything went on ships back then.And Russel Crowe beats AJ anytime stick out tongue

jjoutlaw3
yeah, i thot it was really good...er, who is AJ? i am stupid.

Tired Hiker
Master and Commander rocks. I just hooked up my surround sound up at my new pad and I watched that movie first thing, OFF THE HOOK, YO!

jjoutlaw3
yeah, i've only seen it in the theatres...which was COOL with all their sounds systems and such...

Stormy Day
Yeah the sound is awesome!

jjoutlaw3
yeah it is!!! i luved it!!!! but i was a little confused about the ending...me an me mom were trying to figure it out...but its been so long since i've seen it that i can't even remember HOW it ends, let alone why it confused me...

Stormy Day
Come to think of it I cant remember how it ended messed

jjoutlaw3
me neither...hey, stormy day, i like ur siggy

Stormy Day
Thanx

fanatos
I watched it after a few attempts. The beginning was so borring, and the ending too. I mean there was no drama, no adventure, no comedy - nothing interesting.

Stormy Day
Yeah me to I was able to watch it on the third attempt

It is a good movie tho not as bad as you make it sound smile

jjoutlaw3
it really is good...i guess it only appeals to certain audiences tho

I am a Sock
Has anyone read the books, since it is based on a long series? I still have to read them.

Stormy Day
No I coulnt read the book tho it would probaly be to boring for me smile

And yes this movie will only appear to certain audiences not everybody will like this movie but it is indeed good and a better way to spend your money than renting ALong Came Polly or Torque.

I am a Sock
It's a different kind of movie. Anyone can like it, but only a few can really enjoy it. And if u don't like the story, remember, it's based on a book (actually a series of books)

Stormy Day
Yeah most people will respect it instead of actually enjoying it .

spadesmamma61
oh man Along Came Polly isnt even in the same league as Master and Commander...its fluff. Just one womans opinion of course. smile

Myth
From an old post of mine:

Master and Commander - BORING AS HELL! People say how realistic it was and how it was just like being on a real ship. Well, thats nice but being out on a ship for a long time sure sounds boring to me. The whole movie there was so called suspense where they get all panicky because they see the other ship ALL THE WAY ACROSS THE ****ING OCEAN! They make it seem like its a close call but the ship is so far away. Also, where's the realism at the beginning? You know, when they can hardly see the other ship yet that ship can shoot those inaccurate cannon balls from a 1/2 mile away with 100% accuracy. I also went into that movie looking for battles, I got a 5 minute battle at the beginning, and a 10 minute battle at the end with 2 hours and 15 minutes of boredom in between. Plus, who really gives a damn about the Dr and his beloved animals.

shellie
that a bummer .

i just rented masters & comanders from our video store . havent seen it yet but hope its better then you say myt .

Myth
Another old post of mine showing how much I hated this movie (pretty much says same thing with different words):

This movie was... HORRIBLE! It is so boring. "But it is so realistic blah blah blah." Sure if you love to sit out in the middle of the ocean where NOTHING HAPPENS! Half the movie was the doctor's storyline which was SO BORING. "Wow! Look at the new species." Plus back on the realistic thing, how realistic is it when an old fashioned cannon has 100% accuracy from ACROSS THE FREAKIN OCEAN!?! Seriously, those cannons are inaccurate from 50 meters away but in this "realistic" movie they can hit the ship with 100% accuracy through some fog from about 1/2 mile away. And besides that, there is only 1 more battle scene which comes 2 full hours later. YAY FOR SHITTY MOVIES!

shellie
well thanx for the heads up .

ill watch it tomorow & post again what i thought .

Myth
Sorry you had to see that before watching it. Hope you like it despite my opinion.

shellie
thats ok wink hun .

it wont persway me one way or the other .

Stormy Day
Like I said it will only appeal to certain audiences.

I liked it it was very cool and it was boring at times but still thats how ships where run back then.And like I said dont you at least respect it?

Fire
I liked it a lot, ok there's no action or almost no action in it but that's not needed to make a great movie.

Myth
I respect the atmosphere of the ship... but they were definitely going for realism and the canon ball thing was a big slip up in my mind as far as realism goes, although thats the one thing. Pretty much, I didn't like it because it was boring as hell.

Fire
Personaly I never found it boring

Stormy Day
It depeneds on how you look at it.I found it boring at first and then I found it interesting after a while

And about the cannons that HollyWood for ya wink

Drifter101
oh man apart from 20 minutes, the movie was sooooo bad, the pace was too slow for the film it seemed like hours.......this is what to do w/the mind behind the slow pace of the film sniper

Stormy Day
lol

Its not that bad.

I am a Sock
I loved it. Some people expected all-action, but that's not the point of the story. It shows the relationship between the Captain and the Doctor. It was a good movie.

Stormy Day
Yeah its not about action smile its about character development and story.

jjoutlaw3
exactly...thanx for saving me the trouble of a long winded explaination guys...basically what stormy day and i am a sock just said...

Stormy Day
anytime bro wink

Myth
Which I could have cared less about so it bored me. Its not that the dialog was so impressive either (not saying it was bad, but the dialog just wasn't enough to carry the movie for me).

Fire
dunno Myth I enjoyed it, but idd the dialog aint very good

Drifter101
the story itself had a slow pace making it quite boring

Stormy Day
If you couldnt find the relationship between the Captain and Doctor interesting then thats really all of what there is to the movie.So that why you didnt like it wink

Myth
Yep. Didn't care at all for the "relationship". If I wanted a relationship movie, I would have rented a chick flick.

Stormy Day
lol

Ok well thats one man opinion and too bad you didnt like it smile

Ya know I dont think Dregh has replied once to this thread since it opened confused

Evil Dead
I loved the flick..........

excitement does not necissarily make a good story..........more often than not excitement is thrown into a film to lull the audience into forgetting that the actual story they are watching is not a very good one.

jjoutlaw3
exactly!!!! i love emotional movies...they make u think...action movies usually don't have as good of a story, they're just there to make u jump outa ur seat, or laugh, or scream or whatever...but the emotional ones make u think...i THINK that's what master and commander was supposed to be about...it wasn't "boring" or anything...it was just supposed to be more emotional

Stormy Day
yes

jjoutlaw3
glad someone agrees smile

Myth
I love movies that make you think, but not because of the "relationship." Movies with a twist and all that stuff are my favorites.

Stormy Day
Like the sixth sense smile

Myth
Yeah like that one, except that is one exception that bored me although I thought it was COMPLETELY GENIOUS! I just didn't like how the whole movie was whispering. But movies like the Sixth Sense are my genre.

jjoutlaw3
i never saw it so i cant really comment on it...heard it was scary tho...me mom wouldnt let me see it

Myth
Give it a shot. I honestly can't think of a more genious movie than Sixth Sense.

Stormy Day
yes

Its my fav movie of all time.

Darth Revan
Actually, my friend's dad read all the books before he saw the movie, and he said that the story itself was nothing like the movie version.

I love M&C... Loved it the first time I saw it. I don't understand people who don't like it.

Stormy Day
me neither sad

jjoutlaw3
well, if ur not into that kinda movie then i can see where u wouldnt like it...but i liked it!

Stormy Day
Yeah you have to like certain types of movies its not for everyone wink

Ushgarak
I don't know what Myth is getting so worked up about. An 18 pounder gun at high elevation had an effective range of a mile- and that shooting at the start was at far less than a mile. There is only a small amount of dramatic license in that fight.

Stormy Day
yes

jjoutlaw3
*confused* ok

Myth
Those cannons were highly inaccurate. They seriously couldn't shoot accurately for more than a couple hundred feet. I know it wasn't a full mile, but it was definitely out of the accuracy range for what those things did back in those days. Hell, even the old shitty pirate movies were better about having cannon balls miss and hit the water.

Stormy Day
I just wouldnt get all worked up I mean a majority of people dont even notice things like that in a movie .

Myth
I know, I did though so it bugged me. The only thing that really bugged me was how bored I was.

Stormy Day
Well im sorry you didnt like the film better luck next time wink

jjoutlaw3
i don't think it matters that much...the accuracy of the cannonballs and whatnot...

Drifter101
i really thought it would be more about the captain and his crew instead as you said its was w/ the doctor, what would have worked is to see if he died or something...... also the ending really didnt work for me........ it seemed like a sequel type ending yet i know they wont make one, the end really was like.... oh come on.... i deserve to see them catch up to the other ship and to see them blow it to shreds

Stormy Day
It is about the captain and his crew it just focuses more on the doctor relationship and it had all sorts of crew members and there storys introduced wink . The scene where they where beating that guy for dissing that other guy was way cool smile

Myth
It doesn't really, most movies have something dramatized by Hollywood. But I just bring it up sense lots of people like the movie 'because' of its realism and the cannon balls are something that detracts from that (although it goes unnoticed by most).

Ushgarak
No, I am sorry, you are wrong. I will repeat what I said- an 18 pounder at full elevation had an effective range of a mile. Do you understand what an effective range is? It's not the maximum range, it's the range at which you can be expected to do anything. At half a mile they could reasonably penetrate 30cm of wood, and did so quite often.

You are getting confused because the most effective way to actually seriously damage a ship was to close to point blank range and broadside. This is because, in the days before truly explosive shells, it was almost impossible to actually sink ships in those days unless you set them on fire- you could pound the shite out of them for hours and they wouldn't sink, though the rather less durable crew might not be looking too good.

Surprise was not critically damaged by that opening gunfire. But people died, and that is entirely accurate. There is no reason to think that a decent and planned surprise attack at that range would not have scored hits. Like I say, only the smallest amount of dramatic licence was involved- you might call it a little lucky, but the scene is far from unbelievable.

ragesRemorse
One of the only movies worth watching this year. This is one of those movies where everything seems to click nsync.

Stormy Day
yes

Myth
Well, I guess if I'm wrong, it was still boring as hell.

Stormy Day
laughing out loud

And nothing can change you mind wink so lets move on smile

jjoutlaw3
yeah i agree!! smile thanx stormy day!

OrliObsessor1
I dont like this movie.

jjoutlaw3
i'm sorry...i thot it was good...not for everybody tho

Stormy Day
Where done talking about people who dont like the movie Orliobsesser lets talk about the movie.

jjoutlaw3
yeah lets...only i don't remember very much...i thot it was kinda sad tho

Stormy Day
I didnt think it was sad.It was sad when the doctor had to leave all his specimens behind sad

jjoutlaw3
i thot it was really...creepy when the doctor was doing surgery on himself...uugh *shudder*

Stormy Day
Yup but they hardly showed anything at all sad .....this movie would have been cooler if it was rated R evil face

jjoutlaw3
mmm...wouldn't they all...exceot when they show sex...i hate that!!!

Stormeister
lol but since its on a ship it proably be sex between to guys messed

jjoutlaw3
um yeah im expecially glad they didnt show that...

Stormeister
yeah messed

jjoutlaw3
yeah that would have haunted me for a while...

Stormeister
I would have been traumatized for life messed

XxXDomLoverXxX
I am another fan of this movie big grin i liked it alot, and shall see it again soon.

dean7879
im a bit late but i have finally saw this film...its good but not great..it does get a bit boring in parts.....im surprised to see the english being portrayed as the good guys for once..thank god mel gibson didnt direct it

Pyrofly
Good movie and what makes it even better... Billy Boyd droolio

Zerosparx
The film is well done along the lines of accuracy and costumes, and the acting is well done... to bad it bored the hell outta me. Paul Bettany was great, hes a very under appreciated actor.

Zerosparx
The film is well done along the lines of accuracy, costumes and acting... to bad it bored the hell outta me. Paul Bettany was great, hes a very under appreciated actor.

ragesRemorse
Yeah, it is one of the best movies i have seen in the last few years. Superb acting, great writing,and even better execution. The realism put into the film is also on key with the real ships and little refferences to history. this is one of those rare movies that gets a 10/10

Tired-Hiker
I watched this again last night. Haven't watched it for several years. I love this movie and I cannot put into words how great it is. It is one of the finest films ever, ever made.

SnakeEyes
I'm gonna have to rewatch this, I haven't seen it since pretty much when it came out on dvd.

Tired-Hiker
Crank up the audio if you have surround sound. The sound is amazing.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.