The possibility of disappointment.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

vvvrulz
It's no secret that the entire prequel franchise hinges entirely on Episode III. And while epII improved from the horrid epI, both movies were certainly well below the par set by the original trilogy.

I for one am rather wary of the possibilty of this movie bombing the industry. I hope they pull it off this time..

Sith Master X
Hmm...see now I like the prequels better then the OT. erm

SMX
cool

Reborn Again
Lucas has too, or he's finished!

Jedi Priestess
eh I like em all. smile

peluffo
Such behavior must be mitigated. Ill report this to moderators big grin

JK

Sith Master X
lol

SMX
cool

Jedi Priestess
laughing laughing laughing

§pearhead
I'd like to think Lucas has his act together for this last one, because I'll be pretty bummed if this does bad sad

cornponious
As much as I enjoyed EII, I really don't think Lucas has had his act together since Joseph Campbell died.

corn

TheRealistKilla
i like the pt actually. i watch it more than the ot honestly.

maybe us star wars fans watch the pt more because we are so interested into finding out how a small kid can go from a momma's boy to one bad M'FER.

lucas will pull ep3 off because i have heard that spielberg is helping lucas.

and lucas is helping steven spielberg with indy 4.

we shouldnt really judge how ep3 will be without seeing it in 2005.

Creechuur
Enemy list??? Puh-leese. Senior member??? Double PUH-LEESE.

You might as well add me to your stupid little list after the following off-topic rant:

WTF is up with people who think that a 'gangsta persona' is anything but lame online??? You think youre scaring me with your enemy lists and thug life quotes??? Take that ish to the mall where it belongs. Your hard looks might scare the kids at the food court, but in a forum such as this you just seem laughable. HAHA!

Anyways...back on-topic.

Peluffo, don't give SMX too hard a time. The PT is the trilogy of his generation (him being a kid), so it makes sense he would like it better. Of course, us old folks will always love the OT.

Like the rest of you, I really want Ep 3 to rock, but I can't say I'm not a little nervous...

As a Lucas critic I would like to see Ep 3 fail. It would serve him right for making us sit through the last two episodes! As a fan though, I want Ep 3 to be the best thing ever put on film.

Corn, could you expand on your J Campbell theory? I kinda get what your saying, but I don't know how much of an influence he was on Lucas

TheRealistKilla
i think lucas made the last 2 the way they are on purpouse.

it sounds weird but maybe lucas shot through ep's 1 and 2 to make ep3 the greatest chapter out of all 6?

lucas has a thing for shocking the fans and this wouldnt suprise me 1 bit.

yerssot
the problem I see is that the people who say the OT were kids when they saw it, now they are all grown up and don't "connect" to it anymore.
the other problem is that GL tries what he did with the OT: push the limits of the FX... what has ILM not created or at least not improved? seen sci-fi movies from before '77? they are cheesy, badly done, laughable etc. with ANH it showed that sci-fi can indeed be sci-fi and be a good movie.
the "problem" now is that GL does the exact same thing what he did in '77, only now the pushing limits is mostly situated in the field of CG, something that in the last few years has been nothing but overkill. If he did less and focused more on improving other aspects, not many would complain.

Together that he has to start aaaall over again with the movies and some things are just unbelievable for a movie, something that could be hidden in the OT. Like... the much discussed romance of Anakin/Padme, why didn't it work out? it didn't took long enough, she didn't/did love him, it was too sappy... what was it in the OT? "I love you" -"I know" what is it now? "I'm much to freightened to tease a senator"

I for once, don't hate the PT... as a matter of fact, AOTC is ranked as 2th or 3th in the list (it's a draw with ANH, ESB is firt) and TPM is just behind that, ROTJ is last.
TPM is just one big amazing adventure which would, imo, be a superb roleplaying story, and as a story on its own, it would be great (with some minor adaptions). AOTC was then again, the pure action story, you get an explosion, a (slow) investigation and as soon as Anakin leaves and OB1 goes to Kamino the story barely if any stops...
I should check the OT, but from what I remember, the story in those barely stopped too and it was very action filled, so that's perhaps why AOTC is higher ranked for some than TPM.

How will EpIII fit in? simple, even if it sucks the biggest balls in human history, it will be the most seen movie of the year. Why? IT'S STAR WARS! nerds will see it a lot (I'll see it three times wink), casual fans will see it once or twice, and people who are not interested in star wars will still see it cause this is quite simply the end of a saga, the all ending one (my friends are not interested in star wars but they did see all the movies out of interest for the "culture" it brings).

This movie will bring the two things the early fans wanted to see (not counting the clone wars since it was in AOTC), you'll see Vader created and it can be really bad, but even if it's just average, it will still give you chills, and of course the fight between anakin and ob1 and from the footage you'll see it will be typical GL:
"Faster and more intense"

We all know the story by now, or at least a bit and I reckon there is still a lot of room to let it be a big misser, but hey... it's star wars, I'll see it, I'll get it in VHS, I'll get it on DVD

Jedi Priestess
can you clarify what you meant?
you lost me there because I am still connected 27 years later..... confused

yerssot
that say should be saw, sorry

and I'm speaking in general of course smile

cornponious
Just go here:

http://www.jitterbug.com/origins/myth.html

smile

corn

darktim1
we will see may 19, if he does good or not regardless I like all the movies for now may force be with you.

OB1-adobe
I don't think VHS will be available by then yerrsot. Nobody carries it anymore.

Any movie has the potential to be crap. I thought Spider-man 2 was gonna be dumb, and it turned out to be one of the greatest movies I've seen in a long time. I don't think ep.3 will be cheesy. I'm afraid it might be boring, or be so rushed it won't make sense. Supershadow said some B.S that during the begining on the trade Federation ship, GG escapes by jumping out of a window and floating off into space. That is pretty lame. You can count on that guy for starting some fear for sure.

I'm looking forward to see future generations watch the whole saga and get their comments. They didn't have to wait between the 2 trilogies, and the movies themselves. They didn't read the books, so they won't have preconcieved notions of what Star Wars is suppose to be. To them, it s Anikan's story, and Greedo shot first big grin

Ushgarak
Opinions vary about relative film qualities of course- probably not the best place to debate it here though.

I agree with OB1. Disappointment is always possible.

Sith Master X
I've got faith in Episode 3 100%. It'll be great. All Lucas has to do is put the story together nicely as well as the duels and fight sequences and it should be one heck of a ride.

SMX
cool

macehonda
I've kept my expectations low so I won't be too disappointed if it doesn't turn out the way I envision it. While I liked the first two, I definately need GL to bring his A game in ep3

yerssot
but I don't live in the states wink

Jedi Priestess
I was gonna say stuff is always available on VHS where I live in the states too

yerssot
beat you to it happy

jango fatt
I do not think it will be a dissapointment .

Lyn
Alright. Though I like ALL of the films, I enjoy the prequel films more. I'm not going to go into why I do because I think I've over-done that already...Am I looking forward to EpIII?? Absolutely!! Will I be disappointed?? I doubt it...and I'm definitley not going to go into the cinema with a negative outlook, almost expecting it to be terrible. I'm going to love it. The possibility is there but I KNOW I wont be.

yerssot
for further reference: Hayden, Romance, lightsabres, Hayden, adventure and Hayden happy

amity75
Lucas has completely brainwashed me. EPIII could consist of a jedi sitting reading a telephone directory for 2 hours and I'd still think it was a masterpiece.

OB1-adobe
Not where I live.

The only way I can see Ep. III being a total waste is if it does not link up with the OT. There will be moments in the theater when you will be watching and go- "Oh god George Why?" The last two were really not that bad. People talk like they were like 'Batman and Robin' or something. I think for the most part it will be good. There will be "personal disapointments" with everyone, but we'll live.

Creechuur
Damn Yerssot, that long ass post of yours was truly inspired. It actually made me think better of the PT (not an easy task!). Youre right too...it doesn't really matter how good or bad Ep 3 turns out. All of us fans will be glued to the screen.

Thanks for the link too. Very helpful. I'm writing my own 'Hero's Journey' tale, and theres no reason I should stray from the classic myths.

yerssot
I don't remember writing that long post blink stick out tongue

Creechuur
Probably why it was so good! wink

Jedi Priestess
more than likely you were lit when you wrote it wink

Lyn
You left out Hayden, Romance, lightsabres, Hayden, adventure, MUSIC and Hayden. Other than that...yerss, I'm impressed. happythumb upstick out tonguewink

yerssot
oh my, I did left out Hayden, I'm sorry sad

Lyn
stick out tongue wink

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.