books vs movies

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

scabby mcgee
So I often get tired of really good books being made into movies, rarely do the movies do justice to the books. Case in point "Battlefield Earth", great book, terrible movie. It seems that when reading a book we all get to make up what these worlds people and feelings are like in our own minds based off of what the author tells us. Often the directors view is different from our own (along with studios adding extra stuff to make it more fun).

There are exceptions though, obviously hardly any LOTR geeks were not happy with how well the film was made and represented the story.

Basically what I am saying is that most of the time great books being made into movies are a train wreck waiting to happen. Do you all agree or disagree, what other great book adaptations are there (obviously a biased question).

here is the off of the top of my head bad renditions of great books

Catch 22
Battlefield Earth
The Time Machine
The Hulk (comic book)
One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest (great movie, but everyone I talk to agrees that it did no justice to the book)

Myth
I hate reading.

Cinemaddiction
Hell, I can't read.

Anywho, you'd think that the actual author of these books would have a say in which screenwriter adapts these books to movies, if the author themselves doesn't helm such a task.

BackFire
"One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest (great movie, but everyone I talk to agrees that it did no justice to the book)"

I'm actually one of the few that will argue that the movie is supperior to the book. The books very dark, doesn't flow well, and the character's, with the exception of R.P. McMurphy, aren't developed well. The movie is very light hearted, untill the ending, which makes it all the more shocking and powerful when the heartbreaking finale occurs. The movie does everything the book does, and actually enhances many of it's flaws

Don't get me wrong, it's a great book, but I think the film is the pinacle of the story.

scarymvyfanatic
I think that a movie made from a book can be awesome but still do no justice to the book, so why not make an awesome movie?

Shadow_King
i think dune the original was one of the worst movie adaption on the dune book.

burly brawler
the thing with reading the book is you can imagine anything you want. you create the characters' looks in your mind, you direct the movie, the attitude is within you... the power of imagination really comes into play here. in the movies, if you don't like the actors, the director and the general way the movie was made, it kinda ruins the book...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.