Who liked anakin

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

saber
my opinion rests on number 4.

Jedi Priestess
are you talking about TPM? I think he was ok, but this really goes in the EP I & II forum

JKozzy
What JP said yes

xeous
Could just answer the question...The mods will be here in a few hours to move it and, you'll just answer it in the I & II fourm anyway...

cavola
he is only a kid ; it was mitichlorians who played a part

Mortanius
I couldn't stand TPM Anakin. Lil Jake Loyd never breathed life into the character. He can't be the only one to blame since Lucas was directing him. I think the role should have been played by an older child. Have you ever seen the TPM storyboard book? Anakin is obviously flirting with Padme in Watto's shop. He certainly doesn't do that in the movie.
ATC Anakin is pretty cool - albeit a bit whiney. I just loved it when he took out all of those Tuskin raiders. Just wish would have extended the scene or had another scene where he loses it.
ROTS Anakin is gonna RULE!

Jedi Priestess
could but wheres the fun in that? wink

saber
I'm talking exclusively about episode I ,hayden christensen I have no quarrel with.

xeous
Why? He was bad too...The biggest badass in movies throwing a hissy fit as a late-teenager? COME ON!

Jedi Priestess
AHEM.......that was the the WHOLE point of his character........the anger, the immaturity, the tantrums, the whining. Hayden didnt write the script he just did what he was required to.

Hayden'sgurl
in TPM- he was cute but annoying
AotC- he's just so PURRTY! (evil suites him QUITE well.)
RotS- still veeeeeery PURRTY!!

darth_surgent
I have many serious grievances with Episodes 1 and 2, but I dislike some of the reactions to Anakin. I knew this was going to happen ever since the notion of making the prequels started, and you should have also (you meaning those who think Anakin could have been different). It was INEVITABLE that Anakin was going to be shown as an annoying little kid, then an annoying adolescent or post-adolescent. You should have prepared yourselves for this. There was no chance of Anakin being anything else as a young man. He was not intended to be dark and mysterious from the beginning. This idea is initially obtained from Lucas' handling of Obi-Wan in the OT and how he talks about Anakin. Also, the concept of Anakin was that he WAS childlike and average in his normal behavior, and was much like Luke in the earlier parts of his life. Luke was annoying as a little kid, adolescent, and post-adolescent. He was, in may ways, just like his father, and vice-versa.

The point is, you people who don't like the character of Anakin in the Prequels, who say that he should have been different, are ignoring what the concept of him was from the beginning. Whine about things that didn't have to be that way, such as Jar Jar. It is always legitimate to whine about Jar Jar. I despise Jar Jar.

Sith Master X
I thought Jake Loyd was ok, not my favorite, but it'll do.

El Toro
well anakin was only a kid who didnt know he was destined to bigger and better things. i thought jake lloyd was alright. not much else you can do with a kid anakin.
ROTS anakin will be what most of us pictured him to be like. brooding and evil cool

speakin of jake lloyd, have u seen him recently confused the poor guy looks nuthin like he use to. i think he's movie career is over. poor poor guy. he's on the left next to ray park who played darth maul.

Mordecai
I haven't seen any problems with Anakin, i must admit i was a bit annoyed by his whining in AOTC for awhile, but i guess it kinda grew on me, cause i don't mind it all that much now.

ASSMAN
Anakin in Episode 1 was all right, but I did like how they showed that there is also good in evil.
***ASSMAN***

Jedi Priestess
^^^^^^^^^^
DAMN fine post! thumb up thumb up

darth_surgent
Thanks!

Batman316
agreed, nice post. I think both Anakins (EPI and EPII) served their purpose well. In TPM he was a kid, he acted like a kid in AOTC he was a teenager and acted like one.
Now he will be an Uber ebil, ass kickin, brooding, emotional..... etc etc.

I think both movies will come into their own after we see ROTS. All the little annoyances will suddenly make sense. 'From a certain point of view'

PVS
i think that jake loyde wasn't given a chance at times. he shines through at times such as when the are all at the dinner table in shmi's home, but comes off as very dry when the moment calls for much emotion, such as when he blew up the trade fed ship.."now this is podracing...woooooo...wooooo" and those "yipee" "yipee"...but is that really jake's doing? nope. i think he did a tremendous job as anakin. much of the script did not do his acting justice though.

darktim1
he new how to fly starfighter that fine with me .

amity75
I'd have preferred to see Haley Joel Osment as EPI Anakin but Jake did OK with the material he had to work with. Sure I cringed with all the "Yipee!!" stuff but that was probably Lucas's doing. Hayden is perfect as older Anakin and his critics should remember that it could so easily have been Leo DiCaprio in the role. And that would have been shite. The nearest thing to a cool Anakin other than Hayden would have been James Franco.

fatheroflies
Hayden couldn't act his way out of a paper Vader costume.
There was no emotional arc to show his growth from the light to the dark side. His love was certainly not enough. It only came across as covetous...another dark emotion.
Some blame must go to Lucas and what he chose to write, but he also had nothing to work with in terms of a seasoned actor.

PVS
i guess george lucas can do no wrong in your eyes wink

Jedi Priestess
all things considered....I will never be one to bash Lucas, because without him there would be no Star Wars......simply put. wink

Manôkhâu
Not true.
Rumours say FOX wanted to drop Lucas altogether.

fatheroflies
Quite so.

Jedi Priestess
ok let me rephrase.....GL WROTE it, it was HIS idea, and somehow that movie would have gotten made with or without FOX. This is the thing that truly pisses me off about the so called fanboys. They spend 90% of their time in star wars forums bitching about the movies, the dialog, the costuming etc etc etc ad nausea.......good god if it offends your sensibilities, or whatEVER....log out and go find something else that you DO like. It gets tedious to read your all your complaining. The simple fact is Lucas for all intensive purposes IS Star Wars.......it's his dream and he can do as he sees fit. It's made him richer than any of you peeps that continualy complain about him so I highly doubt your opinion matters to him. People have to get it through their heads that the FANS DO NOT OWN THE STAR WARS FRANCHISE!! Yes they halped to build it but they dont get to say whats done with it and thats just LIFE. Not that my little post will stop any of this griping but I feel better for posting it. stick out tongue

Manôkhâu
Meh, he actually didn't write much of it-he had his writers, and his helpers (ie. producers, and such).
And FOX, as I said, was thinking of boping Lucas.
I love him (not literally), but some things are pissing me off.

Jedi Priestess
*sigh*
from Amazon

Star Wars A New Hope

Book Description
Written by George Lucas, the producer and writer of the STAR WARS trilogy, STAR WARS: A NEW HOPE tells the story of Luke Skywalker. Luke lives and works on his father's farm on the remote planet of Tatooine. Bored beyond belief, he yearns for adventures out among the stars, adventures that would take him beyond the farthest galaxies to distant and alien worlds. But Luke gets more than he bargains for when he intercepts a cryptic message from a beautiful princess held captive by a dark and powerful warlord. Luke doesn't know who she is, but he knows he has to save her - and soon, because time is running out. Armed only with courage and the lightsaber that was his father's, Luke is catapulted into the middle of the most savage space war ever... and heads straight for a desperate encounter on the enemy battle station known as the Death Star...
About the Author
STAR WARS was written by director George Lucas in 1976. It is the book of the first film of the STAR WARS trilogy

Manôkhâu
*Sighs louder*
That's a lie, George Lucas did not write the novel, Alan Dean Foster did.
And he took the novel from the script.

Jedi Priestess
well, then I guess you'd better be letting Amazon in on that. wink

and MONT!!!! quit switching user names!! I canr remember who you are anymore!

PVS
i, as a fan boy...
and life long supporter of star wars...
feel that i have the right to criticise lucas.

i bought his toys,
i bought his posters,
i bought his vhs dvds,
i spent endless hours appreciating his work.

so, if i want to criticise him i will. stick out tongue

not that i would bash him.
after all the cash i have shelled out in my life,
i would look like the king of all fools to bash himsmile

Manôkhâu
From Star Wars Insider 50, written by JASON FRY:

'Ironically, though, Foster's best-known novelization doesn't bear his name: the Star Wars novelization. Yes, despite the name on the cover, the book version of A New Hope was not written by George Lucas, but by Foster, then 29.'

He also wrote the original sequel, Splinter of the Mind's Eye.

Jedi Priestess
hm OK I will give you the novelization.......MAYBE.....but I dont care how you slice it...it came from the MIND of Lucas....brb going to do a little research....LOL and PVS I dont think you are a fanboy.

Manôkhâu
Lucas wrote the character descriptions.
He clearly states elsewhere that Foster, and Gary Kurtz, (and other ppl) helped him develop the storyline.

Jedi Priestess
I want a link...bring me a link in which Geroge Lucas says he is not the original creator of Star Wars.

PVS
i wish websters would define "fanboy" so i know if i am or not.

Manôkhâu
I didn't say he wasn't the creator.
On the contrary, he visualized the characters, and places.
Yet, he needed his fellow WRITING associates to make the character's seem REAL.
And the artist's (ie. Ralph McQuarrie) help to truly, VISUALIZE, the characters.

Jedi Priestess
fanboy=idiot hows that? laughing

Jedi Priestess
alrighty then.....and if you will go back to my original post I said GL owns Star Wars and he can do as he wishes with it. And I dont believe we'd have ever HAD Star Wars without GL.

PVS
"And I dont believe we'd have ever HAD Star Wars without GL."

and what would be wrong with that? stick out tongue

(ducks to avoid being pelted with rotten vegitables)

Ghetto Goblin
you guys are probley aren't gonna believe me, but my cousin went to the same high school as that kid who played anakin in the first movie.

he says (my cousin said) that that kid wasn't very smart, and i think he said that he was in one of the special classes, not for the mentally handicapt but for learning, because he couldn't pay attention.

amity75
Possibly the best post I have ever read. I agree with you 100%. No Lucas - No Star Wars, and my childhood would have been pretty empty without it.

amity75
AND, fatheroflies if you think Hayden can't act then you should check out "Shattered Glass" or "My life as a house".

Jedi Priestess
<------uses the force to lob a truckload of rotten veggies at PVS wink ya smart ass stick out tongue

and thanks for the compliment Amity75

Ghetto Goblin
violent but sweet
mad -> angel

*catches carrot from the air and eats it while typing*

Sith Master X
clapping Well said.

Ghetto Goblin
did anyone see what i said earlier, it is true.

bILLYgOAT
Star Wars is dependent upon the same market forces as any other consumer product, luckily for Lucas, its a product with a limited supply and a very long shelf life.

is there a league to fandom?
whats the rules?

Mortanius
Oh my God! That's probably the funniest damn thing that I've ever read! LMFAO! laughing

Sith Master X
No, I wouldn't doubt GG, cause in one of the Episode 1 documentaries, they questioned Jake Loyd asking him how much he thought it would cost to make Episode 1, and Loyd said "About 50,000 dollars." eek!

Just kidding, I know he was only young at the time. wink But he really did say that. I was lauging so hard.

Jedi Priestess
I agree but there are very few products where the people that buy it feel they OWN the copyright the way some Star Wars fans seem to think they do and that is my point. It's belongs to GL, if you dont like what he's doing with it PUNT!......I honestly dont see what the point of all the endless griping. Its not like Gl is gonna go...oh well now see they dont like that, I guess I'll change it. Never happened in the past (ala the idiot JarJar) not gonna happen now.

FANYBOY= a fan who thinks because he has supported the franchise that he OWNS part of it and therefore has rights to it. IE: constantly complaining that the person who is responsible for whatever part of the franchise that torques them off on that particular day "got it wrong" messed Also professes to be the consummate fan and the rest of us dont know jack. Ive never bought a Star Wars toy in my life, or watched a single cartoon. I've only just started reading the books, but I was there from the very beginning in 77 and I have been a fan for almost 27 years now. Just because I can't quote SW chapter and verse doesnt make me any less a consummate fan. wink

Mortanius
That's funny!

I don't know about the rest of you all, but I felt pretty gypped walking out of the theater just after seeing TPM. I got all syched up about the movie and I had to make the most of it because I'm a fan.

amity75
I could see the point of unfair critiscism if the movies were hastily put together but these things take years out of Lucas and hundreds of other peoples lives and the amount of hard work and effort that gets put into each movie to give the public the best possible finished product is unbelievable. Look at Lucas's face on the EPI DVD after he's seen the completed film for the first time, the guy is beaming like a new father. It must have been devastating when people turn round and say things like "It's crap coz Han Solo isn't in it".

Mortanius
You would think that in the time Lucas had he would have made a better movie. TPM didn't know whether is was a children's film or an adult's film. On one side, you have Jar Jar acting like a clown at a children's birthday party and that stupid race announcer thats talking like he does voice work on 'Barney.' And on the other side, you have Qui-Gon getting skewered by a lightsaber and Darth Maul getting cut in half on screen.

Jedi Priestess
this whole duel sequence between GQJ, OBW & DM is easily my favorite part of the movie.

PVS
"And on the other side, you have Qui-Gon getting skewered by a lightsaber and Darth Maul getting cut in half on screen."

lets not forget (sing along)

QuiGon roasting on an open fire..... laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing

Jedi Priestess
ooooooo thats SO bad..........laughing

Mortanius
The fights in TPM were just about the only redeemable scenes in TPM.

Ken Benobi
If I may.......I have felt that the newer SW movies drifted slightly from the feel of the Original Trilogy, and I might be a bit disappointed with them in some regards. However, I agree with Jedi Priestess and some of the others about the newer movies. There are parts of them that really rock, and I find that Lucas makes some links between the old and new. Ultimately, from what I've seen, I think Episode III will satisfy.

Ken Benobi
And I thought the kid from Episode I did alright smile

Lyn
I think the Anakin in both cases was cast very well.

Ghetto Goblin
1.) you said that you thought that they were cast very well.

2.) yes you did mention it, you mentioned it when you said that you didn't...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.