Don't listen to the radio only then claim that rock is 'dead.'

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Lady_Moon
Okay....

People claim that rock is dead. Well, it's not rock that's dead, it's the lack of genuine thought and care towards music. And that is something you can depend on the radio to show you.

The 60's and 70's really gave the world some great stuff, and it's true that you can't find that on mainstream radio. But why search on mainstream radio? The really great gems aren't on the public airplay, being played 1000 times and getting old. People have to go and look for them.

So why do people complain that 'rock' is dead when all they listen to are the classic oldies and stupid shitty radio? You can't make a judgement from that if you haven't broadened your horizons as far as music goes.

Go look for it yourself. It's there.

ragesRemorse
i dont claim rock is dead, i havent heard that term used seriously for about six years now. I do believe it has slowed in pace, intiative, and originality, but great rock is still there, and always will be, just wait a few more years for the rap shit to die out, and rock will make a return. History repeats itself. Rap is the next rock, to be deemed "dead" and will fade out of immediate chart ruling popularity. It will stay low for a while, still openly loved and listend to,but not as much as it used to be, untill it silently gains backenough respspect to make another appearance. history always repeats itself, it will happen

plenTpak52
I think that statement applies to a total of 0 people

SlipknoT
In 5 years we'll be asking ourselves what happend to all of the rappers around today and all of the pop singers. Like RR said Rock will be at a new peak in a few years. And today there are some good rock bands out there.

Lady_Moon
Haha....this plenTpak person or whatever is one who claims that rock is dead.....just read his/her post, whatever this person is. Hypocrite? I think thats what's on the menu......

Man...just when you thought it was safe, here comes another one.

HockeyHorror
good hip hop and good rock will never be played SERIOUSLY on the radio/tv etc etc...

Df02
from my perspective (ie the bands i listen to, and have listened to) i think that Rock (obviously may be a different subgenre of metal etc) is gettin better atm.

Theres loads of bands out there pushing boundaries, and developing, and in cases completely reinventing Rock

Tool
NIN
Mars Volta
Dillinger EP

some may not be pushing out in the way that people want or like, but theyre all pushing none-the-less, and thats only a few ive named off the top of my head

PrefectRonnykin
rock will live forever yes i hope

hip hop is dieing out (thank god)

punk isnt dead either its just hiding from the sissy pop stars

HockeyHorror
hip hop isn't dying...mainstream hip hop is dying

but underground hip hop is alive and kicking...will live forever big grin i hope wink

Darth Revan
Underground will be around for a long time, for however long there are reasonable people who don't buy all the "pimp" and "gangsta" bullshit.

I really could give a shit whether rock is the current trend, I'm going to listen to Tool and NIN regardless of whether or not rock is "dead".

GABRIEL05
sheeeeeeit boy. You think rock has it bad!??! Look at classical and jazz...

SlipknoT
yea jazz died in the 60's

Samurai Guy
In my opinion, Rock is dead.

Few new bands have little care or compassion for the music they create. It is too seldom you find a band that is playing music for anything but the fame and the money.

The "Nickleback Sellout" phase is taking the world by storm, and it is sad to think of it. We need new bands that are passionate about what they are doing.

Rock died in 1979.

Darth Revan
Rock ain't dead... Real rock has become almost an underground genre, like underground hip hop. Obviously you know nothing about modern music to say that. There are still plenty of great bands out there that put just as much care and effort into their art as the old guys did. Go listen to some Tool or Bad Religion, neither of which are played on the radio (with the exception of "Schism" or "Sorrow" from time to time), and neither of which are well known. I hate it when people complain that "rock died in the 70's" when they sound like they've been locked up in a bunker for the past 20 years.

Samurai Guy
I have listened to Tool and Bad Religion. I am not a big fan of either of them. I do, however, like Perfect Circle.

Darth Revan
Well, that's not showing that rock is dead, that just shows that you don't like real modern rock. roll eyes (sarcastic) There's a big difference between not liking the good music that's out there, and saying rock is dead. Just because you're sentimental for the 70's doesn't mean modern rock is a bad genre. Both bands are just what you described:

"...bands that are passionate about what they are doing."

Samurai Guy
Perhaps. You have to remember I can only speak for myself though.

There have been some good bands 1980 to present, most are early 90's grunge/alternative... like Nirvana and STP. I am merely generalizing that the MTV generation has torn apart everything that music/rock 'n' roll used to be. Thus, by destroying what it stands for, R & R is dead in my eyes.

Df02
Nirvana were never anything special tho...they werent the best grunge band by far....

ofcourse i can only talk imo, but Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains and Soundgarden all outrate them

Samurai Guy
Well, yes. I was merely using Nirvana as an example.

There are the odd example of bands that are musicians for the right reasons, but it is very seldom. Half the reason if I am listening to the radio, it is on my local Classical Station.

Darth Revan
Well SG... remember that Nirvana were the biggest band at the time of Kurt's death, so you can't really say that they were much different from the bands they play on the radio/TV now. Obviously they were better, but my point still stands.

Rock is not dead, if anything it's more alive than it ever has been. They say rock is a way of rebelling, well, since when did rebels watch MTV? IMO it's almost better this way, so that not every dumbass jock with a shower radio can sing along with Trent Reznor.

Samurai Guy
Hense my reasoning for saying this:

I understand your viewpoint. Radio is rebellious. I am just a little aggrovated that in order to hear the aforementioned 'rebellious' rock I am forced to listen to one station and one station only, and that is after midnight.

Music is rebellious... that is what it is supposed to be in my opinion. An ability to say what you want when you want. The meaning of music is lost.

I agree with your "dumbass jock" remark. And it was amusing as well.

§nakehead
It is the guys like Mettalica, Creed and Kid Rock that keep rock alive

Samurai Guy
Metallica? roll eyes (sarcastic) Kid Rock? roll eyes (sarcastic)

Creed are decent... but that is as far as I will go. I like Mark Tremontti's (spelling) style, so I guess that is half of the reason

§nakehead
Dude, have you heard the Mettalica song "Enter Sandman" the part where hes tucking his child in at night is just ere and awsome. That song turned me into a fan.

Df02
lol, Metallica maybe....but creed and kid rock? no chance
and tbh Metallica arent even keeping it alive atm, theyre faultering imo

§nakehead
The cool thing about kid rock is that he bleds rock, rap and country into one good song

Samurai Guy
Pretty much the reason I dont like Metallica anymore is because of that song. Well, half of that album anyways.

§nakehead
That song is the very best metal song in the world.

Darth Revan
SG> I didn't mean radio was rebellious, I meant just the opposite of that lol... Because they play the same crap on the radio as they do on TV.

Darth Revan
No, that title belongs to Tool- "Hooker With a Penis"

Deathblow
schmoll

Opeth - Face Of Melinda
&
Metallica - One

Df02
personally id say

Slayer - Raining Blood or Seasons in the abyss

Samurai Guy
Revan:

Hense me listening to Classical in the car. No fear of repeatative radio.

No, it is not. That song marked the downfall of Metallica.

Darth Revan
Good point there... I actually quite like the classical station here.

Samurai Guy
rock CLASSICAL!!!!! .. laughing

It is better then most of the crap that is spoon fed to impressionable youth. IE Saliva

Deathblow
I don't mean to be a b!tch, but I think thats a little rich coming from someone with a Puddle Of Mudd lyric in their sig erm

Samurai Guy
Trust me, I hate Puddle of Mudd as much as the next person, but the line is fitting for a personal matter.

Darth Revan
Mussorgsky baby!!!! rock laughing out loud

ElectricBugaloo
For someone who did the same stuff that Tool and TMV did, look for Mahavishnu Orchestra

Lady_Moon
Some people talk about Nirvana, and to be honest, they were waaaaaay too overrated. Yea yea yea, so they were one of the originators of grunge, and from my home state. But they were way too overrated, while many people are too underrated.

And classical, jazz and blues has it really bad too. I was just making a point to all the idiots who think that rock died in 1979. But yeah....jazz and blues have it real god damn bad.

Darth Revan
I said that Nirvana were the biggest band at the time, which is the truth. I never said they were the best, I don't think they were.

Deathblow
Thats arguable, they were unquestionably one of the biggest, but The Beatles, The Stones, Led Zeppelin, Queen, Duran Duran...all huge bands, all as big if not bigger than Nirvana.

Darth Revan
"I said that Nirvana were the biggest band at the time, which is the truth. I never said they were the best, I don't think they were."

Not the biggest band ever... wink

Deathblow
accept my humblest apologies pray

Darth Revan
Yes, of course happy

GABRIEL05
Just what the hell do people mean by dead? How can music die?!

Darth Revan
It can't. There are still people who listen to and play real jazz, blues, and classical... They're not "dead".

GABRIEL05
precisely

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.