The irony of the Tusken Raider slaughter...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jedi Priestess
In ATOC when Anakin wipes out the Tusken raiders it depicts his first glimpse of the dark side. An interesting thing about this is IF you read the book TPM, Anakin saves the life of an injured Tusken raider which to me makes this part of the film ironic....... to me anyway.

§pearhead
ah, that never occured to me...are the books lucasized? blink (as in, approved by him? messed)

Jedi Priestess
I think the ones relating to the movies specificaly are arent they?? Anyone?

§pearhead
that's what I figured...but that part seemed just so out of place...

Jedi Priestess
I assure you it is in there.......it happens when Anakin has to go get parts for Watto and he has to go outside Tatooine to do it. Actually spearbabe the books to TPM and ATOC are pretty good considering Im not an EU peep myself. The prophecy is also in TPM.

§pearhead
oh, I'm not doubting you--I've read both the TPM and ATOC books...s'just that the tusken raider scene didn't fit in with anything at all

Ushgarak
Do be careful about saying stuff in the novels is Lucas' stuff- they often import EU material.

However, I do believe that Tusken scene was actually scripted for TPM.

Jedi Priestess
ah someone who knows.....I said I wsant sure, too bad they didnt leave that in TPM........would have made the Tusken raider thing in ATOC even more powerful.

yerssot
a novel is semi-canon, as long as it doesn't go in against the movie (ie, Owen being Obi Wans bro), it is correct (so, in this instant, Anakin did save the life of a Tusken, it just never got in the movie)

Capt_Fantastic
It's my undestanding that Lucas chooses the person to translate the script into the novel and then works closely with him to do so. I've always considered it to be Lucas' legacy to the literary world, like the movies are to the film world. Too bad, often times the books make more sense and flow better....or, are actually written better.

Manôkhâu
The original books were written in conjunction with the script, and the authors helped Lucas write the scripst as well-originally Owen Lars was Obi-Wan's brother in the script, so the author put that in the book.
Now, the script is revised to it's end, and then sent to the author in it's final form, with usually a little note that says in lamens terms: "Add something else too!", that gives the author a bit of free space.

Ushgarak
As the Official Website says, the novels are prone to re-interpretation by the authors; the inclusion of Darth Bane is one contentious pount. So indeed, what the authors put in is not necessarily all Lucas material. But as yerss says, they ARE semi-canon and they are never EU in of themselves.

However, I have never found any of the novels to be anywhere near as good as the films- the plots of the films are designed for the big screen; a book does better if designed as a book from the ground up.

Manôkhâu
I concur with Ushgarak on the last point.

Jedi Priestess
Now see I personally thought TPM novel was way better than the movie myself.

And thats basically what I was speaking to, the books that are written to go with a specific movie. As far as EU goes the ONLY thing Ive read that I liked was Darth Maul Shadow Hunter.......the rest of it was....er...........not my cup of tea. messed

yerssot
what do you like in a star wars book JP? I can try to help you out smile

Jedi Priestess
Yerssie? Didnt I tell you this once or was it someone else? If it wsnt you, I just like the ones on the movies themselves, in between them & that Maul one, I tired reading the Heir to the Empire series etc and I just coulnt get into it at all.

yerssot
yeah, but if you just give elements of what you like to read, you could give it a new shot smile

§pearhead
JP, you mean the katana fleet/thrawn series? sad c'mon, that trilogy was awesome

Jedi Priestess
sorry spearbabe it did nothing for me messed

Cipher
Lucas just ruberstamps those books, they're EU. The exception would be the movie novels.....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.