Memoirs of Geisha (cast)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

shanie623
Oh my gosh! Is it true? They're casting that Chinese girl (from CTHD) as Sayuri (the main character)? THAT IS JUST WRONG!!!

=( This is like one of my favorite books!!!! Even one of the very first books I really, really loved. Gosh. Hollywood is f*cked. There are far more talented and beautiful Japanese actresses!!!!!!!!!!! And the story is supposed to be a GEISHA story... I heard they're going to show the movie in English too... THAT IS TOTALLY WRONG. Arrrrrrrghhhhh!!!!!!!!! I was hoping that if they ever make a movie of "Memoirs of Geisha," it would be in Japanese with English subtitles... But I guess Zying Syi (dunno the sp) can't speak Japanese, since DUUUUUUHHHH she's not one... =( I mean, she's a great actress but she isn't fit for the role!!!! What's wrongggggggggggg with the friggin casting person..

Ok.. Done with babbling.

roundisfunny
It was fun trying to figure out what movie you meant when you said "CTHD" ("Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon"wink, and the actress is Michelle Yeoh.

Remember, though, that a movie has to be dumbed down for American audiences, or no one will go to see it:

AGNES: "Elmer, whut did that thar Japan lady say?"

ELMER: "I dunno, sweets, I'm still tryin' ta figger out what that fella with the sword just said."

jeffer_wrote
yep, Zhang Ziyi will be the lead....MIchelle Yeoh will also co-star, and so will Ken Watanabe

Ziyi is a beautiful actress, but I agree...there are better Japanese actresses. The problem is, they are not really that known in the international scene quite like Ziyi is. NOte too that Michelle is Malaysian...

shanie623
Have you guys seen the picture of Zhang Ziyi as a Geisha? Here it is............. Hope she will wear grey contacts (cuz that's how Sayuri's supposed to look).... >_<

jeffer_wrote
works for me...smile

SaTsuJiN
meh.. thats like a japanese dressing up like a korean in a movie where japanese kill off koreans.. its really silly... they need a japanese actress, as good as Zang is, its just not really plausible

jibb
The picture isn't from Memoires of a Geisha!
It's from a Japanese musical where Zhang stars in, the musical movie is called: Operreta Tanukigoten
It's about a chinese woman traveling to Japan during the Ming dynasty set around 1600.
So the image the picture gives us isn't accurate at all cause the Geisha movie is set around the 20th century

WindDancer
I have NO problem with Zhang Ziyi playing a Geisha girl! She IS very beautiful and SHOULD be in this movie! Zhang is an incredible martial arts actress and her talent is unique. Yes, I'm a fan! And I'm excited that she is in this movie. Ever since I saw her in Rush Hour 2 she has become my favorite Hong Kong Actress. thumb up

Celestialgirl
I just finished reading the book. I've looked up info on what other peeps have said about the movie. now I'll put in my thoughts about it.
1. I personally am glad it will be in english, after all the book was first written in english by an American author! I don't mind if it is in Japanese or not but having to follow subtitles all the time is less enjoyable for me because I spend most the time trying to figure out what they're saying and pay less attention to the scenery or the background if people wanted to read subtitles rather than watch the movie they'd read the book- I hope though that on the DVd they will have them speaking Japanese.
2. You know the Japanese aren't cmplaining about Zhang Ziyiplaying the lead so why is everyone else? Alang Cumming played Nightcrawler-who was German and Alan Cumming is british or does anyone complain when a Canadian plays an American?
3. I'd be more upset if they're wasn't any Japanese casting at all. At least Ken watanabe is goingt to be in it. But don't forget the book is an American look on the Japanese culture of Geisha.

shaber
You know that geisha used to always be men? sick

mobo
I also love the book, and I for one would love to have to movie in english, for I also would like to actually watch the movie. And for general information: just because a man was geisha doesn't mean anything untoward, he was just an entertainer. That was his job, but when women started joining in to be geisha, the men liked to women better and that is how it all came to be.

Lana
Originally posted by shaber
You know that geisha used to always be men? sick

Um, no, geisha were always women. Where on earth did you get this from?

No it wasn't, it was a work of fiction that was closely researched and written to be a memoir of a fictional geisha. It was very much supposed to represent a Japanese view of a tradition of theirs. NOT an American view.

Anyway, I absolutely love this book, so I only hope they do a good job with the movie.

Though Winddancer, I fail to see how Zhang Ziyi being a martial arts actress has any relevance on her playing Sayuri...I don't really mind either way about her playing the role, so long as she does it well.

EDIT: Well, I just went and watched the trailer, and so far of what I seen, I think it's going to look very good. Zhang Ziyi does look right for the role (though Sayuri's supposed to have grey eyes, and they made hers more blue). Only think I really have a problem with is Mameha - in the book she was always described as being very beautiful, looking perfect, looking like a china doll...she looks too old and not pretty enough erm

ariwin
Eh, it happens all the time. i'm really not that concerned about it...and I'm definately looking foward to see this movie.

SaTsuJiN
Saw it this morning.. really good stuff.. although a bit reminiscient of cthd, I enjoyed it very much

gshkris7272
Originally posted by SaTsuJiN
they need a japanese actress, as good as Zang is, its just not really plausible

okay ill be one.smile!

SaTsuJiN
youll be a wha?.. japanese actress? hehe.. film is almost totally chinese actors/actresses aside from the extras..it was still good though.. all plausibility aside :P

Lana
Saw it this morning.. really good stuff.. although a bit reminiscient of cthd, I enjoyed it very much

Was it good? I really want to see it soon....

Rapscallion
Zhang Ziyi is a great actress and brings humanity to action roles. She was phenominal in House of flying Daggers. I heard she was good in 2046 as well. She also gave very strong performances in Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon and Hero.

gshkris7272
youll be a wha?.. japanese actress?

yepsmile

Imperial_Samura
I really quite liked the book, one of the best I have read in the past few years, and as such I am looking forward to the movie. Admittedly I was a bit surprised by the choice of Zhang Ziyi, thinking that a Japanese actress would be chosen (due to the rather nationalistic nature of China and Japans movie industry when it comes to actors.) However it makes sense, she has been very successful in fully eastern films released into the Western market, whereas there are far fewer well known Japanese actresses that have been in hit eastern films in the western market of late.

Still, I see not the least problem with her playing the part, she's a really good actress, in proper movies like 2046, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and House of Flying Daggers, Hero, Raise the Red Lantern (lets all forget about Rush Hour 2, poor Chan and Ziyi, bloody buddy comedies.) and she fits the image I have (to a degree) of the books protagonist.

Now I doubt this will be like some US actor trying to pull off a British accent, at least to Western audiences, though maybe Japanese audiences will be able to tell. Not putting down western audiences here, but I suspect that if they don't already know Ziyi's nationality, they aren't going to suddenly say half and hour in - "hey, she's clearly Chinese, what are they trying to pull, this totally ruins the realism and authentic feel of the film." I mean, it's not like she has "I'm Chinese, but I'm pretending to be Japanese " tattooed on her head.

Fanboy
A story like mine has never been told. Well actually there has but this time i'm asian.

Miss_Nash
Originally posted by Lana

No it wasn't, it was a work of fiction that was closely researched and written to be a memoir of a fictional geisha. It was very much supposed to represent a Japanese view of a tradition of theirs. NOT an American view.

But you are speaking about the book. Movie is quite another thing. Neither Spielberg nor Marshall are Experts in Japanese culture. But they know how to make movies for the American audience.

And as for Chinese actors - I can't see a problem here. When a famous kick-ass cop Mel Gibson played Hamlet, PRINCE OF DENMARK, the audience said he was good. But when a talented Chinese actress brilliantly plays a Japanese girl, they say she does not suit. That is not even funny.

Lana
Originally posted by Miss_Nash
But you are speaking about the book. Movie is quite another thing. Neither Spielberg nor Marshall are Experts in Japanese culture. But they know how to make movies for the American audience.

And as for Chinese actors - I can't see a problem here. When a famous kick-ass cop Mel Gibson played Hamlet, PRINCE OF DENMARK, the audience said he was good. But when a talented Chinese actress brilliantly plays a Japanese girl, they say she does not suit. That is not even funny.

They based the movie off the book. And it's not unusual at all for writers and directors to research for a movie they are making.

Punker69
Originally posted by shanie623
Oh my gosh! Is it true? They're casting that Chinese girl (from CTHD) as Sayuri (the main character)? THAT IS JUST WRONG!!!

=( This is like one of my favorite books!!!! Even one of the very first books I really, really loved. Gosh. Hollywood is f*cked. There are far more talented and beautiful Japanese actresses!!!!!!!!!!! And the story is supposed to be a GEISHA story... I heard they're going to show the movie in English too... THAT IS TOTALLY WRONG. Arrrrrrrghhhhh!!!!!!!!! I was hoping that if they ever make a movie of "Memoirs of Geisha," it would be in Japanese with English subtitles... But I guess Zying Syi (dunno the sp) can't speak Japanese, since DUUUUUUHHHH she's not one... =( I mean, she's a great actress but she isn't fit for the role!!!! What's wrongggggggggggg with the friggin casting person..

Ok.. Done with babbling.

They were probably just trying to pick someone thats familiar to the American eye.

*Georgina_A*
Saw it, thought Zhang Ziyi was amazing. Thought the whole cast was amazing, in fact. The film is absolutely fantastic, an excellent job big grin

rosequ
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
I have NO problem with Zhang Ziyi playing a Geisha girl! She IS very beautiful and SHOULD be in this movie! Zhang is an incredible martial arts actress and her talent is unique. Yes, I'm a fan! And I'm excited that she is in this movie. Ever since I saw her in Rush Hour 2 she has become my favorite Hong Kong Actress. thumb up

sorry, she isn't from Hong Kong

RawritsKayToe
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf

I think that your quote about how she's an incredible martial arts actress makes it clear that they should have chosen someone else. The majority of the american audience has only seen her in martial arts films, so they begins to group her in that catergory. The geisha should be delicate. I think Kyoko Fukada should have been Sayuri, although Suzuka Ohgo did very well and looks alot like Zhang Ziyi. In case you don't know who Kyoko Fukada is, she's in Shimotsuma Monogatari . You should watch it. Very entertaining.

DiamondBullets
youll be a wha?.. japanese actress? hehe.. film is almost totally chinese actors/actresses aside from the extras..it was still good though.. all plausibility aside :P

No, Ken Watanabe, Youki Kudoh, Mako, and Cary Hiroyuki-Tagawa are Japanese. (the latter 2 are Issei Americans)

Who really gives a shit if she's Chinese? She's fine, a good actress, finally learned English, and did a good job. Joaquin Phoenix is Puerto Rican, but did anyone really care that he played a very famous White Southerner???--NO! Who gives a fukk, naw mean?

btw: Does Ziyi really speak English, or did she just memorize her lines for the movie? (cuz thats what it sounded like)

Takiko_4ever
She's actually pretty good because I saw her interview for the movie! Unless she memorized those lines as well!
LOLZ
anyway for those who have seen this movie check this out!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TSWaKWiAhY...tv%20%20-geisha

Takiko_4ever
Hey Is anyone checking this trailer out???

Takiko_4ever
Oh i'm sorry that it doesn't work!
Here's another link to it!
sorry

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-TSWaKWiAhY&search=Memoirs%20of%20a%20geisha%20

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.