Breaking Down Batman

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Cinemaddiction
(Mods, I ask that we keep this thread in the General Movie DiscussionForum, given the popularity of the franchise)

Which "Batman" installment do you feel is the best of the franchise and why?

Personally, I selected Tim Burton's "Batman Returns". Naturally, there are a few reasons.

1. Characters - Penguin was the embodiment of the absence of love and being unable to reach out. Burton hinted at this by way of physical semanticism in Cobblepot's webbed hands, how he wasn't able to touch or hold anyone or anything.

Selena Kyle/Catwoman was all about the power of one woman. She scratched and clawed, taking out the very source of the sexism and misogyny that scarred her in the first place. Not to mention, was one half of the greatest exploitation of sexual tension ever seen in cinema.
Me-ow.

And of course, Batman. While he didn't have much screentime in this movie, his presence was still felt. He remains a mystery to most, however did finally learn to open up, and find the good in Selena Kyle. No matter how untouchable she may have appeared on the outside.

2. Setting - Burton is the master of the macabre. The only color to be found in this movie were in the Christmas lights. The rest was all gray and black, dark, dreary, miserable colors. Even the main characters had a pattern of dawning black and white outfits. Catwoman, Penguin, Batman in black, and even Max Shrek. I could even feel the cold gusts of wind during the wintery Gotham City snowstorm.

3. Storytelling - "Batman Returns" was driven by multiple characters and their unique, diverse backstory. In addition, they weren't all mortal enemies. Catwoman and Batman displayed the aforemention sexual tension, Catwoman herself wanted revenge, and t break out of her once timid shell, Penguin just wanted to be loved and appreciated, and Batman, as well, wanted to open up to someone, but couldn't.

There are plenty more reasons why I think "Returns" is a special flick, but this should more than suffice.

What do you all think?

BackFire
I haven't seen Batman - Returns for quite a while. I do remember it being good. However, I also remember liking the original better, because of the Joker. Jack Nicholson totally own boobs in that movie.

Major Knight
true jack nickolson did a great job with being the jocker, and the first film i thought was the best. but latly i think batman returns is the best one.

Lord Soth
Batman. You just cannot beat the primal beginning there. Jack Nicholson was perfect as The Joker, absolutely perfect, and the use of humor, drama together in a single movie (often times in the same scene) was just brilliant.

I'm glad no one voted for Forever or Batman and Robin. The frachise went to hell once they lost Tim Burton and Michael Keaton

ragesRemorse
The original batman movie still remains as the best superhero flick you can get. Everything was perfect in that film, this is one of those time where everything in th e movie clicked well, by damn very well. I mean the batmans reaction to the joker was perfect when he flew his bat wing down and the joker pulleed that big ass gun out of his pant's laughing

That was just priceless

i think the original is the embodiement of what every comic flick wants to be. The batman was just Perfect . yo. "sheildes" yeah that was bad ass BatmanI give the the original for being the best of all .

MildPossession
Always been Batman Returns for me, Christopher Walken for one thing was brilliant, and Michelle as Catwoman was just perfect.

The Batman film with the most darkness and gothic imagery out of all of them, well to me it is anyway.

Primitive Screwhead #1
I'd have to go with the first one for just that reason... it was the first. Not knowing what to expect, Tim Burton made the movie fun and dark at the same time... and both Keaton and Nicholson turned in excellent performances for what could be considered "atypical" roles for each of them (much more so with Keaton... Jack had some exposure what with Cuckoo's Nest and The Shining that carried over so well here). Nevertheless, Burton did the Batman name justice, successfully capturing the dark atmosphere of its characters and pushing away from the 1960's campiness of Adam West and company.

That being said, Batman Returns was a very good follow up. Just have to give props to the movie that paved the way for the sequel. If #1 wasn't such a success, we may never have seen #2.

On an unrelated note... a brief moment of celebration for my 600th post. And not a single threat of being banned during that span.

MildPossession
Well done on your 600th post.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.