Star Wars terms

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Morgoths_Wrath
Of all the aliens, technology, planets and terms in the Star Wars universe I was never quite sure exactly what a parsec was...can anyone fill me in?

thanks

PVS
baaaad timing, its been discussed today in the "best starpilot in the galaxy" thread

or "strapilot" thanks to cavola's misspelling big grin

a parsec is a unit of measurement for distance.

Morgoths_Wrath
ohh, my bad

thanks though

Morgoths_Wrath
found it, thanks PVS

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=306218&perpage=20&pagenumber=2

PVS
its no problem dude but pleeeeeeease use the search option next time.
just for the hell of it, try it now. go "search" then type "parsec" and switch the forum selector to episodeIII. the only posts that will come up are the ones from this thread and the other one. i know because i just did it.

just a pointer

Gangularis
parsec isn't just a star wars term just so you know. it's a real life measurement commonly used in astronomy.

PVS
true

captainmidnight
thats actually kinda cool,i knew what parsec meant in the movie,but i didnt know it was a real word used in astrology,very interesting...

NoFate007
What are some other terms that were created just by Star Wars (besides the obvious like X-Wing and planet names and whatnot)....Was holocron/hyperdrive/deflector shield/etc?

captainmidnight
hyperdrive=driving hyper

deflector shield=a shield to deflect

these are just my opinions....dont have a clue were holocron came from,in fact i dont even know what that is?

Gangularis
how about.. lightsaber! jedi!!

ccaarrbbooonniiitteee

Gangularis
::smacks captainmidnight in the hand with a ruler::

that's ASTRONOMY... not astrology.. astrology is the nonscientific study of the stars in relation to human spirituality ect..

there's no measuring of parsecs in astrology.. but there is a crab named Cancer.

PVS
i dont know about that....let me call ms. cleo and see....

Morgoths_Wrath
i cant say i know what a holocron is...do you mean hologram?

PVS
THATS NOT IT!!! BRING ME THE HYDROSPANNERS!!!

wtf is a hydrospanner?

PVS
you know what, we should be veeeeery careful here.
this thread is a prime target for a physics geek.
next thing you know, someone will be trying to tell us
the components of a cloaking device, and how a blaster
actually works and other ridiculous nonesense.

Morgoths_Wrath
hahaha, i could def. see that happening

NoFate007
Holocron is a term, not hologram, i know what that is lol

Cipher
Holocrons are EU foolishness from one of the comics........

queeq
EU?!! HE SAID EU??!!!!

Cipher
Just pointing out that it didn't belong here....

queeq
Good point.

captainmidnight
but how can astrology be a nonscientific study wasnt it the first science,you know like homer and the odyessy and all that,i thought the stars and all that stuff had something to do with human response and the subconcious....how is that nonscientific?

PVS
lol i guess he's got a point there...

but you could also just say it was a simple typo wink

queeq
*yawn*

Is this going back on topic? Or anywhere?

PVS
*scratches head*...you know....im not sure if there ever was a topic...

this thread was created out of a question "what is a parsec?" which was answered...guess its a bum thread now

queeq
Bums go! CLOSING

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.