EU or Cannon?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Julie
Do you like the EU or the Cannon Star Wars stuff better?
I mean, we probably all got hooked on the movies to begin with, but the books are sometimes better, IMHO.

They had more of a chance to develop the characters, offer insights, well, expand.

Ushgarak
It's canon. It's a religious reference, not a firearm.

yerssot
the movies/novels vs other books??

movies/novels by a long shot... quite some crappy books out there: the amount of times the emperor came back or some sort of superweapon that was being used again roll eyes (sarcastic)

Jedi Priestess
All Canon all the time IMHO........as much as Ive liked a couple of the books they will never come close to the movies. And the rest of the EU is crap I think. laughing

Jerico
I agree, i love the EU material, of course some of it is dubious but overall its great. I just love reading about all those characters in the background and occasionaly getting the point of view from the other side and so on.

I thought the Heir to the Empire series was great for example, except for the endings which where horrificly mashed (Imperials winning great victory no hope for the rebels, omg heres Luke the goodies win again woopi doo) but apart from that nonsense it was a great series, getting to hear about events after the films and flashbacks too it.

Morgoths_Wrath

Master Kadub
THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS EU or CANON!

Just something a few fans came up with to argue about something.....

If GL signed off on it, it is VALID....no EXCUSES!
GL just decides when he wants to use something
or not....
He ok's stories, characters, places, planets and etcs..... mad

Ushgarak
Sorry Master Kadub, but you are talking nonsense. This is official Lucasfilm policy, NOT the creation of fans- please feel free to check out the noted thread at the top of the film sections for details. Simply spouting untruths like that is a waste of everyone's time; please take some effort to check things first before posting.

yerssot
wow, someone's uneducated in this field blink

he does NOT ok anything in the stories! the ONLY thing that he ok's are the big plot lines:
ie:
the galaxy being attacked by the Vong
Chewie dying
Anakin Solo dying (he rejected Jacen dying)
etc.
he does NOT read every story and give his personal ok to it, then it would have been simply better that he wrote it all instead of authors

Jedi Priestess
Ive read:

Darth Maul Shadow Hunter--loved it
Shadows of the Empire--liked it alot
Heir to the Empire--liked it
TMP & ATOC--loved both of these

I read one more that dealt with the teenaged Anakin between TPM & ATOC it wasnt anything to write home about.

Master Kadub
I think that many of you are confused....

If you think that GL is letting others write stories with out him giving some sort of imput or ok or thought or anything, you're crazy...

GL is not about to let anything with Starwars name on it even be seen without saying something about it; or his attorneys will...
Money is money and this is his baby....

my comment about canon and non-canon is being fueled by those who have a opinion on what can be understood and not understood in the context of the movies or logic of the movies.....

if a story is written by some author and GL signs off on it, then it is now valid.......

I always bring this into arguement

When a new hope came out we didnt know anything about Boba Fett or Jabba the Hutt......but they did appear in some early stories...
Fett was even made into an action figure before ESB came out....

-would you say that Fett was canon or not-
-or even the stories about Jabba or many of the other bounty hunters from ESB-
-Or even the stories about the Emperor-

and i could go on and on with stories like that from the movies......

Julie
Actually I believe GL has people who handle the nitty gritty stuff...I agree with the overarcing aprovals by GL, but liscensing people ( I think Sue Rostoni) have a lot to do with working with the authors to expand the universe.

See with the mastermind behind starwars busy building more movies he's hardly got time to look over the shoulders of every comic artist, writer, novel writer, children's book editor, etc.

Also video games fit under EU...as well as some toys and all things outside....it's really not something big to argue about, I was just curious.

Ushgarak
"I think that many of you are confused...."

No- this whole canon/non-canon thing comes direct from Lucasfilm. YOU are the confused one.

"if a story is written by some author and GL signs off on it, then it is now valid......."

No- it is only valid FOR the EU. Again, this is direct from Lucasfilm.

"-would you say that Fett was canon or not-"

Yes- because George Lucas had already created the character PERSONALLY, put him into the story, had told everyone he existed as a new character for the new film, and even used him on screen already.

-or even the stories about Jabba or many of the other bounty hunters from ESB-

No- Jabba in those early comic stories is a furry character like Chewbacca, just as GL originally envisoned him before making ROTJ. That was simple EU use of discarded GL ideas.

-Or even the stories about the Emperor-

The Emperor's existence was canon, he was mentioned in ANH> Any EU stories about him... were simply EU.

"and i could go on and on with stories like that from the movies..."

And you would still be talking nonsense. YOU don't get to say what is right here. LUCASFILM does- and they do not agree with you.

yerssot
I'm sorry but if you did even a tiny bit of research into this, you'll know you're making a fool out of yourself

I suggest i.e. you read the CD-ROM that comes with the last NJO book, it clearly states that GL does NOT work on ANY part of the story but DOES have to give the ok for BIG plots (the example was given to kill off Jacen, which he rejected so it became Anakin)

Ushgarak
Of course, the silly thing is... what Julie means is EU or films. Saying E or Canon impliues all that is not canon is EU, which in my noted threads in the film area, I pointed out is not true. 'EU' is not a term that means 'non-canon', it just so happens that Lucasfilm (and GL) have decided to MAKE EU non-canon.

Master Kadub
There is no confusion on my part.....I can see clearly beyond the films/books/action figures/games.....

heck, marketing and money......

IT HAS GL's NAME ON IT THEN IT IS VALID!

you dont put you name on something that you dont want sold or implied as crediable.....

Ushgarak
Simply stating it over and over does not make it true, Kadub; you are wrong, simple as that, because you have no power to make anything true or not. Like I say, that is Lucasfilm's job. They have specifically stated thew opposite of what you are saying.

yerssot
of course it has the name star wars on it, it's in the star wars galaxy! roll eyes (sarcastic)

you have ANY proof in interviews and such about this or just your own wrong opinion?

Cinemaddiction
Canon.

Exploited Universe single handedly ruined Boba Fett, and that was enough for me.

Quendiñoldo
Meh.
I prefer EU right now, since Lucas is RUINING his masterpiece.

Morgoths_Wrath

Master Kadub
I could careless what GL says about canon vs. non-canon,
because he is just trying to confuse to keep us interested....
and his pockets full......

laughing out loud

"the american way"

Ushgarak
Ah, couldn't care less about the truth. Right-oh! Noted... that being the case, you need not contribute further.

yerssot
that's your excuse to say you're right? blink

Master Kadub
I went and looked up the definition of Canon according to Britannica.

Canon- 'by definition'

2 : the most solemn and unvarying part of the Mass including the consecration of the bread and wine
3 a : an authoritative list of books accepted as Holy Scripture b : the authentic works of a writer c : a sanctioned or accepted group or body of related works <the canon of great literature>
4 a : an accepted principle or rule b : a criterion or standard of judgment c : a body of principles, rules, standards, or norms

yerssot
goody, you know how to look up What the f**k?

and you just showed you were wrong: 3.b: the AUTHENTIC works of a writer
EU is NOT authentic, you got Zahn, Stover, ...

Quendiñoldo
Wow...didn't even mean those ones, I meant the OT DVD's. stick out tongue

Morgoths_Wrath
you thought he ruined the DVDs? He made them better I thought

MadHeretic
I am a hardcore fan of the EU. Still, this is a complicated issue. GL has said twice before that the EU is not real Star Wars, and that his vision (movies) is the real one. He says that the EU is like a parallel universe.

Then again, he treats the EU with great care. For example, major plotlines/major character changes etc are done only after his approval. He is the only who decided to kill off Anakin Solo (because his name would be confusing with Anakin Skywalker), and he has barred all the authors from even thinking about killing Luke. These are explained in the post NJO interview that came with The Unifying Force.

This is what splits the fans. Certain fans stand by GL, saying that his vision is the true one, and certain others stand by the EU, saying that he cares a lot about EU and it is official.

EU is indeed official, as is anything that is published by LFL and Lucasarts. However, the supreme authority (ie the owner and creator of Starwars), has made it one step below the movies, despite "borrowing" things from EU - for example Coruscant. Certain LFL authorities have provided conficting statements about the EU's canon level, which differs from what GL said.

In the end, what matters is that even though the EU is not GL's vision (a vision that he changes as fast as he changes clothes), it is indeed official.

Ushgarak
Of course it is official; anything licensed by Lucasfim is; that's not the same as canon.

And of course GL can use it as source inspiration, and of course he can overrule bits of it if he likes.

yerssot
what about the backgroundstory of Boba being utterly wrong?

Master Kadub
confused

yerssot
they had to change his entire "mandalorian story"

Master Kadub
I kind of like Boba Fett's story being a little more mysterious myself; but I dont have a problem with what has played out about him on the screen....
I just hope that GL doesnt screw it up anymore in ROTS.....

Julie
As good as the classics are....EU is where my heart's at

Luuke12
I like both, but I only recognize things that are documented by official sources. (i.e. - In my opinion there are no Republic-class, Iperator-class, or Soveriegn-class Star Destroyers because neither the New essential guide to vehicles and vessel or the SW.com databank mentions them.)

Insane Monk
EU. Just because of the KOTOR games.

Ushgarak
Yeah yeah yeah- too much of this around now. Old thread closed...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.