Effects

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Shadowkiller
Ok his might not be a 100% Episode 3 related but here it goes.
Does anyone know if ILM did the visual effects for the SKY CAPTAIN. Movie.All the previews I and see and here on the radio and TV they make it seem like this is a big deal that it was shot infront of a blue screen and its break thru state of the art technology. And I can't help but think of Star Wars. So I was just wondering if anyone knew who did the Effcts for Sky Captain? and why is it so revultionary ? Lucas has been using visual effects for years.

captainmidnight
I believe it was ILM,its just now becoming more mainstream,if ya think about it sky captain and star wars use the most cgi and its quite noticeable,so people are gonna be like "wow...what is this,the effects look so cool"

Shadowkiller
It will be interesting to see.. and hey Bai Ling in in to too

matthewo07
the cgi in that movie look like crap, i mean it looks like video game quality..i hope ROTS does not look like that

Shadowkiller
I just checked the ILM Filmography they did not do Sky Captain. However I saw a new before the helmet PIC todat of the opening battle it looks like a completed shot and the effects are sweet!

moonwalker741
i heard that there was no set, it was all color screened.....and it also looks stupid

Morgoths_Wrath
I dont know about all this Sky Captain stuff, but compared to Star Wars it's crap

I poop on it

Jedi Priestess
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
hysterical oh GOD that was funny......

darktim1
the director of the movie made the effects in his own garage at his home where he lives that's what I heard from the stars of the movie.

mephistodesigns
it's supposed to look like the old 30's and 40's sci-fi movies that were all stop motion. The filter on all the shots is to make it look like it was filmed a long time ago and colorized. Get a clue you haters. Learn some cinema history.

queeq
ILM was ONE of the companies working on the effects. There were several.

captainmidnight
yeah queeq thats what i thought, HA take that shadowkiller.....

cal31
I can't believe though how many critics are praising Sky Captain for it's look and technology of using blue screen, when Star Wars gets bashed for it. Just don't see how that works.

captainmidnight
it seems everyone bashes something when it is new to them,the sky captain effects are allright,but star wars has them beat by a mile,i hate critics though,there like a buzzkill........

csm
Well the one advantage that SC has over star wars when it comes to blue screen is that in SC they talk about it before hand, they say the movie is all about the blue screen effects. In SW they are just part of the effects and people feel they are too overused.

If Lucas came out and said I want to make SW entirely in the computer people would expect something different.

I still think SW graphics look more real than SC but I enjoyed SC very much.

It is a homage movie, it is a nod to star wars, indiana jones and the early serials.

Yes they could have made many of the graphics look more realistic but that was not the point.

I agree that this was not really that revolutionary, but it was just something different.

I enjoyed it and recommend it, there are tons of references to the movies I mentioned above so it is fun to try and find them.

Out...........................................

mephistodesigns
I agree with cal31. I think the other reasons star wars gets bashed for effects is a) it's "cool" to bash a culutral phenomenon and (b) star wars, the new ones, seem to have a slightly unconsistant look as opposed to Sky Captain or LOTR trilogy or even Matrix. That's mainly because ILM breaks new ground evey movie so they look a little different. Also, those examples I listed for critically loved effects are all very stylized. They all use heavy filters and over or under exposed shots which cover up the flaws star wars get bashed for because everything gets consistant lighting when you use filters in postproduction. Star Wars uses effects in regular, natural looking lighting. That's far more difficult so I really think it just comes down to people (normal people, not the effects addicts on here, myself included) not knowing how the process works and not noticing risk taking vs safe covering up of mistakes.

captainmidnight
yeah but most people dont care how it works,they care about how it looks,if its done bad it doesnt take a genius to know what the outcome of the movie is gonna be,and yes your right in the fact that its easy to bash a cultural phenomenon thats why SW has to keep there shit wired tight at all times.........

Shadowkiller
that's kinda how i felt and what made me make the post.

Shadowkiller
take what dude go to the ILM web site its not on the filmography .. thats all i was getting at

mephistodesigns
cpt. midnight: let me clairfy, all those movies I'm talking about have the same flaws, because they are just the flaws of cgi at the stage its at right now, great models, lighting in natural settings still needs work. Now the movies that use all those filters I mentioned, are covering this up with filters to make all the lighting consistant which covers all the mistakes SW gets bashed for. SW doesn't hide because he does shots the way they need to be done. If a setting has a certain kind of lighting, and there's a cgi character in the shot in post production, the cgi artists get as close as they can but don't always nail it. So all those movies have the same "flaws" star wars does with cgi, they just cleverly cover it up with filters and over/under exposed shots. Star Wars was made in a time where lighting was natural and people didn't rely heavily on filters like the movies of today. He has to keep the SW movies at least moderately similar in over all appearance on screen (not ship, clothing, weapon details/models, I'm just talking look on screen as far as consistant filming style). So he can't really hide behind the filters like the Matrix, LOTR, or Sky Captain. That's what a lot of people don't understand and don't care to understand, christ most people still by full screen. What does the average public joe or jane doe know about film and its process? jack s**t. That's why star wars get blasted, not many people get that they all make these errors, Lucas just doesn't cover them up with filters and synthetic lighting.

captainmidnight
yeah i know,i just get bashed alot by people when i make an error but since you dont feel you made an error......i apologize smile

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.