Another interesting quote from Lucas

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

cal31
Just saw this quote from Lucas on NYtimes.com from the rerelease fo THX : "For years, I've been doing the pretend me,'' Mr. Lucas said. "I've been successful at it. But my true nature is really "THX" and that's the kind of movie I thought I was going to be making the rest of my life and that I wanted to make and just never - I got sidetracked with all these opportunities. I just sort of got trapped into this thing, which I enjoyed doing a lot, but it's not completely reflective of what I like to do. I never thought I'd get stuck doing kids' films for the rest of my life."

So I don't understand if Star Wars isn't the real him and are kids movies, why doesn't he make them for older age groups and more like his "true nature"?

Ushgarak
That's ridiculous; Star Wars is endemcially aimed at kids, that is the point. Making it for older people wouldn't have made it more like the 'real him', it would have just made the exercise pointless.

Films like THX are what you would get, not an older person's version of SW.

amity75
I hope that when Lucas gets EPIII out his system he'll go back to making small, cool movies and it would be great to think he's yet to direct his masterpiece but I feel that he's more of a businessman than a filmmaker now.

cal31
I'm not saying they would be better, but to me atleast, the way he sounded in that quote is he didn't enjoy making Star Wars as much as he would've made more adult films, so I just was wondering why he kept on making kids films if he wasn't into them as much.

Cipher
Lucas calling the SW movies "kids' films" proves why people who get really upset at some of his decisions are missing the point. View these films for enjoyment and because you're getting the saga's backstory, but they're not entirely meant for you if you're an adult. That's always been the case....

Red Superfly
That's always his excuse to have crappy characters like Jar Jar Binks lol.

And Lucas MUST have known that more adults love Star Wars than kids.

darktim1
he makes the films for his fans he did'nt know that jar jar was going to be a turnoff for people you have your opinion and others have theirs mine is that the films are great and everyone should be happy that he made them for now may force be with you.

Red Superfly
Did you drink a lot of coffee before writing that?

captainmidnight
its kinda ironic he said that,i mean look at american grafitti,it was all about kids back in the day,in which tells me he was aiming for the youths acceptence to film making,now he wants to cater to old people,doesnt make sense,more kids go to movies rather than adults.......

Cipher
American Grafitti was meant for adults because it is all about nostalgia for a certain era, before the characters lives get complicated.

SW was partly to teach kids certain things about right and wrong.....
Like making out with your sister is OK if you don't know who she is.
And cutting someone's hand off is a good to stop a confrontation.

captainmidnight
yeah.....good point

queeq
laughing out loud

So GL is a victim of his own success? Hmmm, guess a guy like him has all the money in the world to make any kind of movie he'd like..

guiro72
i want him to make some more obscure films....star wars is cool too, but i feel they should stand alone in his filmography, instead of doing willow and howard the duck and trying to repeat the success.....more like ang lee where everything he does is different.....

Cipher
Willow was alright. Howard the Duck wasn't his picture.......

Lucas seems to say something different everytime he talks.

Everything Ang Lee does maybe different, but it isn't all good, either. The Hulk wasn't all that great......

queeq
Editing was great on the Hulk. Great way to bomb really. Howard the Duck was not!
But Lucas should be the last person to complain about the movies he wants to make. He could go all Robert Rodriguez/Quentin Tarantino style if he wanted to make samller films. he has no financial limitations. But a director who hates to do the filming himself... I dunno... for smaller films you have to do taht I think.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.